timing of cardio

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Ranking from best to least effective timing of cardio workout for rat-burning potential: (1)first thing in the morning (2)seperate day from lifting (3)immediately after lifting (4) before lifting
they dont give any real scientific backings to the ranking order for the most efficient fat-loss but what yall think. Seem pretty close to what you would have thought? Im thinking, what a persons goal is, would lend a hand in deciding when to incorpate cardio in their schedule. (if say a person's goal is to achieve muscle mass and fat loss, than a form of cardio on non-weight training day might be best)

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Who ranked it this way? Just curious?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Personally I have had the best time of it,doing cardio right after workout but I can't tell you for sure becausee I don't have time to do the cardio in the morning without getting up a 3:30 in the morning.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Who ranked it this way? Just curious?
sorry you asked...muscle and fitness:rolleyes:
i believe taken from a text called "comparison of physiological responses to morning and evening submaximal running" (Journal of Sports Sciences)

Sean

Awards
Ranking from best to least effective timing of cardio workout for rat-burning potential...
I'm sure my fireplace is equally efficient at burning rats. :)

To my knowledge, cardio after a training session when cortisol would have begun to be released would sacrifice a lot of muscle mass, unless, of course, the person we're talking about is on a cycle or OD'ed on C. ;) Cardio before a training session would rob the muscles of their glycogen, decreasing the efficiency of the training session.

Test levels are high upon waking, and given that the body's basically been fasting for a number of hours during sleep, morning should be the best time to tap into those resources of fat.

Blindfaith

Awards
yeah wtf is rat burning?!?!

Anyways....i agree with that order. I always do my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
That order has always been the way I looked at it. Many people have to do cardio after lifting because of time restraints, and that's usually when I do mine, or on a separate day if possible. I hate to see people doing it before lifting, but I guess some still do at the gym, their loss.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I hate to see people doing it before lifting, but I guess some still do at the gym, their loss.
heh, remember weave bro some people don't even lift at the gym, prefer to remain totally ignorant of any type of resistance training, and run/walk only, and then use only treadmills exclusively. enough to make ya puke for awhile, then feel pity for 'em. that order looks good though, if I don't get a moderate length session done in the morning for whatever reason, I will either skip it all together for that day (like I give a **** about cardio anyway) or bust out some high intensity sprint type session later in the day (usually lift around noon).

:)