The Most Critical Factor in Strength: Commitment

There is a vast assortment of low-hanging fruit often picked from when trying to determine the reasons why a lifter is no longer getting stronger, no longer becoming more powerful, and no longer putting on additional muscle. The bounty of reasons most harvest from often includes rationale such as… "They have reached their genetic potential," "They just need a better program," "They need the most sophisticated equipment, so they simply need a better gym," "They really just need a better training partner." And the list goes on.

The Law of Parsimony, also known as "Occam's razor," is a principle in philosophy and science that suggests the simplest explanation or hypothesis is often the most likely to be correct.

For example, "Paranormal Phenomena.” When investigating claims of paranormal activity, Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation is often more plausible. For instance, strange sounds in an old house may be better explained as creaking floorboards due to temperature changes rather than the presence of ghosts.

The Law of Parsimony can be applied when trying to determine the reasons why a lifter is no longer advancing toward their goals.

Lack Luster Excuses
Going back to the low-hanging fruit of reasons, I suppose a sub-par program could have a negative impact on a strength athlete. Still, the reality is that even the most basic of programs have resulted in some level of increase in strength, power, and muscle. Last time I checked, there was nothing sophisticated about John Kuc, Paul Anderson's, or Dave Pasanella's program. That lifter's gym not having the latest, most cutting-edge, state-of-the-art equipment is also a significantly tired reason. I think we can all think of some amazing powerlifters and strongmen and physique athletes who have little more than a power rack, barbells, dumbbells, and weights yet have still dominated their sport for a time over those training at the most state-of-the-art facilities.

Truth be told, some of the greatest men and women in the pursuit of strength, power, and muscle continued to pack on muscle and became amazingly strong and powerful with the most basic equipment.

The term "parsimony" refers to the idea of being frugal or economical, using as few assumptions or elements as necessary. The Law of Parsimony states that when faced with competing explanations for a phenomenon, one should choose the explanation that requires the fewest additional assumptions or entities.

In my decades in the world of strength, power, and muscle, my observations of some of the best strength athletes ever to step foot onto the platform have been that it is rarely, if ever, an external factor that results in the inability to progress.

Then What Causes Plateau?
So if it is not the program one can blame, if it is not the training partner who is at fault, the gym, or any of a hundred external factors, then what is the explanation that requires the fewest assumptions and is the most basic that can solve this problem of the strength, power, and muscle plateau?

In my experience, the most accurate way to explain why athletes are trapped in stagnation has nothing to do with any external reasons, but reasons residing inside. More often than not, the answer is simply that the person in question has, as my friend Rob so beautifully puts it, "reached the strength level of their commitment."

Although there absolutely exists a final point for increasing strength, power, and muscle, and hitting a plateau now and again are realities, most often, the level of commitment is, in fact, the parsimonious reason for the lack of progress.

Those who have reached their zenith or their actual genetic pinnacle of their strength and power are not just few and far between; they are the exceptionally few and extraordinarily special, even amongst others who are extraordinarily special.

The Most Critical Factor: Commitment
The invisible factor, the intrinsic factor, is the most critical factor for the competitive strength athlete, and it is their unyielding, unrelenting, unwavering, and resolute commitment to their goals. Their tenacious and steadfast commitment will find them seeking the better program, finding that better training partner, making the most out of the equipment at their gym, or building their own garage gym. Their commitment will keep them researching the best ways to make the most of their genetic potential.

If a lifter has no greater than paltry commitment, their strength and power level will have reached their level of commitment. If they have insufficient commitment, they will have insufficient power, and if they have a lack of commitment, they will have a lack of muscular advancement.

Final Thoughts
It is far too easy to cherry-pick excuses for one lacking in these areas. But as difficult as it sometimes is, it behooves us to hit the pause button and examine not just our programs or our training or our training facility but also to carefully and methodically examine our own intrinsic commitment to becoming the best we can be.

Ultimately, we will all reach the strength level for our commitment. That strength level will be directly associated, directly correlated, and directly interconnected and intertwined with that level of commitment.

I wish you the best in your strength, power, and muscular pursuits.

Comments