Answered Switched to narrow sumo style deadlifts and grip is giving me issues

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I switched from convention deadlifts to an Ed Coan style of deadlifting with a narrow sumo stance. I love this form of deadlifting and feel it much more in my legs and much less stress on my back, as in none. Now, I did lower weight by a lot from what I was doing with convention. My issue now is, since I'm now gripping the smooth part of the bar, my grip is suffering and I have to do a rep, set it down and then do another rep; otherwise I'll feel like I'm about to drop the bar. Are there any grip gloves that work well that I can buy? I rather avoid tape if I can, just so I don't have to keep taping it once the tape starts to tear.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well that’s because gym bars are not competition deadlift bars. Competition deadlift bars have knurling basically the whole length. You could try chaulk, use straps, or if you are powerlifting look for a powerlifting gym. If you use straps Olympic ones are kinda easy because they don’t have a super long strap.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well that’s because gym bars are not competition deadlift bars. Competition deadlift bars have knurling basically the whole length. You could try chaulk, use straps, or if you are powerlifting look for a powerlifting gym. If you use straps Olympic ones are kinda easy because they don’t have a super long strap.
Well, I'm limited to lifting at home for now. I have a mid grade Titan bar and don't really have the money, or room for a high quality new bar right now. I can try straps, but I didn't want my grip strength to suffer too much. I was thinking of trying those grip glove things at Rogue Fitness, but I'm not sure how well they would work on the smooth part of the bar. I actually do have straps I've used for front squats, but they are too thick to get a good grip on the bar, it would be like putting fat grips on the bar.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, I'm limited to lifting at home for now. I have a mid grade Titan bar and don't really have the money, or room for a high quality new bar right now. I can try straps, but I didn't want my grip strength to suffer too much. I was thinking of trying those grip glove things at Rogue Fitness, but I'm not sure how well they would work on the smooth part of the bar. I actually do have straps I've used for front squats, but they are too thick to get a good grip on the bar, it would be like putting fat grips on the bar.
Well that is another cool thing about the Olympic straps. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-oly-lifting-straps?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlXlIkueSVz5YgCNz-HFWCBuXOd7ZCF1lQe3jZrYqtbe7BILe54bVRoCYLIQAvD_BwE

See how there is not much at all to wrap around. If you are powerlifting you could just do one rep at the top set strapless and then do the rest with straps. Like if you are doing a set of 5 with a weight you could pull it once without straps and just wait a couple minutes and then do the 5 with straps.

Real deal bars are expensive so I don’t blame you.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No problem brother.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well that is another cool thing about the Olympic straps. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-oly-lifting-straps?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlXlIkueSVz5YgCNz-HFWCBuXOd7ZCF1lQe3jZrYqtbe7BILe54bVRoCYLIQAvD_BwE

See how there is not much at all to wrap around. If you are powerlifting you could just do one rep at the top set strapless and then do the rest with straps. Like if you are doing a set of 5 with a weight you could pull it once without straps and just wait a couple minutes and then do the 5 with straps.

Real deal bars are expensive so I don’t blame you.
These are actually what I have been using for the past two years. Elitefts also has them, I think I got them for around 8$ and since then I have used them instead of any other straps. Definitely takes some adjustment but to me they are a lot easier than other traditional straps.

It’s funny because I actually just switched to sumo from conventional last night and as you mentioned no lower back pain. Also just switched the straps I am using. I went from the Olympic style straps, which are great, to a versa grip style strap. One of the imitation ones on amazon. I have to say after pulling all that weight with them I am sold on those as well. You can wear them the whole workout. They don’t get in the way and they hold up pretty well. I would definitely reccommend that style of strap as well. If you are powerlifting for competition then I would say practice without straps, maybe try more Chalk. But if your not competing those Olympic straps or Versa grips are pretty good. Both seem to evenly distribute the load of the weight in the middle of the hand.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So I switched from convention deadlifts to an Ed Coan style of deadlifting with a narrow sumo stance. I love this form of deadlifting and feel it much more in my legs and much less stress on my back, as in none. Now, I did lower weight by a lot from what I was doing with convention. My issue now is, since I'm now gripping the smooth part of the bar, my grip is suffering and I have to do a rep, set it down and then do another rep; otherwise I'll feel like I'm about to drop the bar. Are there any grip gloves that work well that I can buy? I rather avoid tape if I can, just so I don't have to keep taping it once the tape starts to tear.
why not just use straps? if you don't care about building grip strength, straps or versa grips are the way to go. When the focus is strength and muscle, who cares about grip. Go for the weight.