Shout out to all you meal preppers out there. Need help.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Hey so I am not new to dieting or anything, but the main problem i have with dieting is I just weigh my meat, for example, chicken breast raw then cook it cut it up throw it in the bag, the problem with this is some days ill have like 22 oz chicken the next day 15 oz cuz the meat are always different sizes. I wanted to make a meal plan to make it easier to stay on track where I eat somethni like 10 oz of meat each meal or something like that. Does anyone know of a company that sells pre weighed meat or how do you guys portion yours? So many ppl have there diet where its like meal 1 8 oz chicken meal 2 5 oz steak etc whats the best way to get the same portions day to day?

+rep for help

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Want the same size portions? Just weigh it AFTER it's cooked. That way 5oz = 5oz everytime.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I think he means one breast is x ounces and another is y ounces...your best bet is to spend 20 bucks on a food scale, and just portion it out exactly how you want it. I usually buy a few lbs of chicken or steak, cut and weigh into 12 oz portions and then cook and Tupperware them. That way I know exactly what I'm getting. Purdue sells individually portioned breasts but weighing yourself is more accurate...plus food scale is great for carb portions like rice and potatoes.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Figured he had a scale from his OP.

Anyhow, if you don't have a food scale grab one. Weigh all your meat after it's cooked.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Figured he had a scale from his OP. Anyhow, if you don't have a food scale grab one. Weigh all your meat after it's cooked.
Why would you weigh after?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I have a scale and I weigh my food before. But I grill my food so cutting my different sized breasts into the same portion size would leave me with a bunch of scrap meat. I could weigh it after it's cooked if that doesn't mess with my macros much. I wonder if I can scale it so that weighing it cooked can be almost as accurate as if I weighed it raw.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why wouldn't you weigh it after? I want 5oz of meat, not 3.2oz after water/fat cooks out. It's easier and your "portions" will always be the same.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Nutrition labels can vary in that some give weight unprepared and others prepared so just watch for that.

Weighing after is easiest, cook in bulk and take out measured portions as needed.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Why wouldn't you weigh it after? I want 5oz of meat, not 3.2oz after water/fat cooks out. It's easier and your "portions" will always be the same.
Most nutrition facts are given raw. Also, if you add fats or cook a stir fry or whatever, it wouldn't be practical to weigh after. Different strokes I guess...

wrathman10

Awards
You would cook before because depending on the chicken you will loose 2-3oz after its cooked so roughly a 5oz chicken cooked is 7-8oz raw. What ever you decide just stick to it.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Weight it out like whats already been said. Cooked ro Raw doesnt matter. Stick to the same method each time you do it. You can look up the macro break down of all your food cooked if you want to be super anal about it. I personally measure after I cook it because of the water and fat that is cooked out so I know I am eating the amount I want to eat and not a smaller portion of precooked weight.

Scale
Measuring Cups
Measuring Spoons

These shoudl be in your kitchen at all times if you want to get exact.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The easiest, non scale way that I go about this is to just cut up chicken/steak/etc into chunks and use a measuring cup or something similar. Keeps portions about 95% consistent if you cut the chunks pretty consistent and doesn't waste any of the scraps like you had mentioned before