Unanswered Routine for dad with spine injuries?? HELP

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
About 15 years ago, my father broke his back in two places, taking him out of this awesome lifestyle completely. We taught him how to walk, which was especially painful considering he taught me how to train like he did in the marines. He carried himself like a God, just to be reduced to a fraction of himself. As you'd imagine, he fell into a deep depression.

Recently, things have been looking up for him and I can see a difference in his attitude. The VA is finally coming through for him, hes buying the house his frandfather built, and he's working as a bouncer (albeit at a relatively calm bar). Then when he found out he's going to be a grandfather, it got even better. His doctor said he's perfectly fine to exercise so long as his back isnt bearing any excessive load.

Now hes asking me for help finding a routine and stack, and im at a total loss. I have no idea where to even start on movements that minimise tension on the spinal column.

Anyone have ANY experience they could share with me?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Bodyweight to start, maybe use some TRX bands. Just do what’s comfortable and start slow. No reason why he can’t do bw squats etc. I wouldn’t use a bar for a good long while and ease into light weight free weights.

Machines will help a lot with helping him relearn the basic movements while keeping load off his back, make sure he does lots of core stability etc to support his back.

TRX squats to a bench will help him get the range of motion back and take pressure off the spine. Progress from those to normal squats to a bench, then remove the bench. Banded squats will help build the glutes up to hold him upright and promote good form.

In general upper body stuff he should be fine, just start slow. I wouldn’t do lay Pulldowns to start, I’d do like machine rows to build the back up then progress to machine Pulldowns then lat Pulldowns with a cable.

Machine chest press to DB chest press later on, make sure he builds his rotator cuffs up to support the weight.

Teach him how to foam roll and make sure he does his stretches. Work on balance with him progressing from just single leg to single leg 1/4 squat, to slightly unstable double leg, then slightly unstable single leg then progress further etc.

I’d limit bending over for now as well

Ps, I’m not a doctor, just using my experience with clients. If anything at all bothers his back even the slightest stop the exercise. Talk with him about what he felt and if it was in the spine that’s bad. Tell him that muscular wise he may get some weird pains but the pain should stop after exercise, if it persists then rest and ice and take a small break to see if it goes away. It’s gonna be pretty rough on him getting back in to it it sounds like, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he feels stuff that he’s never felt before.

Last edited:
J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I train around a couple blown discs. I stick mostly to machines. Some free weights are ok but squats or deadlifts are out if the question. Unsupported rowing movements are a no go. Avoiding those 3 simple things, i can still do quite a bit and rarely have issues in the gym.

I agree with starting with bodyweight but avoid some of the weird stuff like in P90x- those long lever movements are terrible for your spine. Also, 8 count bodybuilders and squat thrusts like used in USMC PT can be hard on the back so be careful with those. Try to introduce other things slowly and cautiously. You kinda have to just get in there and figure out what bothers you and what doesnt, most of which is pretty easy to guess and common sense stuff. If something hurts performing an exercise, stop.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
These are both great comments I really agree with, with the sole exception that I don’t recommend squats against bands as they test the core harder during walkout and that’s something that’s going to need to come up over time.

As someone who has had my discs so trashed I couldn’t wash my legs in the shower or get my socks off the floor, to someone who has returned to the platform to pull new lifetime deadlift PRs, I must recommend Dr. Stuart McGill’s The Back Mechanic:

It turned my life around completely. It gave me back the ability to train pain-free.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Banded Squats are def a progression for sure. You already have to have a good core and stabilizing muscles but they will help a ton of done right.

I’ve heard of that book and I’ve been meaning to read it