protein shakes and GAS

thegameoflife

Awards
I don't know if I’m the only one here that gets insane amounts of GAS from drinking protein shakes.... but have you found that one brand gives you more or less issues?

I’ve been using 100% Whey Protein from 1fast consuming 3 to 4 shakes a day mixing it with water.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Plain whey protein does the same to me, I use Optimum Pro Complex now and it doesnt seem to have the same effect. Also, let the shake sit for a few minutes after mixing it, let some of the air from shaking dissipate.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Protein will give you gas period. If I don't get swamp ass I didn't eat enough.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
ginger root capsules have cured my whole digestion process including gas.

i added this about a month ago when i was having problems and it's definately working.

Jag

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Jag, what brand are you using and how often do you take them?
I bought some lactase tablets at the local pharmacy to aid with dairy product digestion but I have not noticed much difference and am somewhat desperate to try something else.

thegameoflife

Awards
i'm going to get some stuff from Whole Foods tomorrow and i will let you guys know how it goes.
the lady said the ginger will work but this stuff i'm getting tomorrow is a little better (so she says)

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Jag, what brand are you using and how often do you take them?
I bought some lactase tablets at the local pharmacy to aid with dairy product digestion but I have not noticed much difference and am somewhat desperate to try something else.
i use a brand here in Australia called Natures Sunshine but it costs me $23.00 :eek: but i'm going to order some from bulknutrition.com . they have Now Foods ginger root capsules 550mg caps for around $5.00

now that i know they work well for me i'll stock up.

i've tried many digestive enzymes but never had any real success like i'm getting with the ginger root.

i'm on a pretty high protein diet at the moment, low carb & low fat and the ginger is really helping with the digestion. i also grate up some fresh ginger & add it to my scrambled eggs or rub it into my meat & chicken.

Jag

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Cayenne pepper (Capsaicin)

improves digestion by stimulating production of digestive juices in the stomach and by fighting bacteria that could cause infection. Its antibacterial power also fights diarrhea caused by infection. Preliminary studies also suggest that capsaicin may help the body burn fat.

h19

thegameoflife

Awards
the stuff i got today is called Digest Gold made by enzymedica

i will let you know how it goes....

Ttokkyo Jack

Awards
The gas is caused mainly by the lactose in your protein powder. Do yourself a favor and go with Optimum Nutrition's Protein as it comes pre-made with lactase to aid in digestion as well as some other digestive aids. Also the price is very reasonable. There chocolate mint is killer and you can get a 5 pound jug for 25 bucks from 1fast400. If you choose not to got with Optimum Nutrition choose one that is lactose free.

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I cant beleive u guys would spend $$ on stopping gas! I kinda like the gas..when im in school i just rip dirty farts all day and love it.

thegameoflife

Awards
Ttokkyo - i will order the optimum and see how it goes

Rebel - i miss the days of ripping a loud stanky one in class but when your in your office or big meeting it doesnt seem to work.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Rebel - i miss the days of ripping a loud stanky one in class but when your in your office or big meeting it doesnt seem to work.

says who..?...trying taking protein shakes AND liver tabs..one dutch oven and you would all die...

h19

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Occasionally I'll dutch oven myself inadvertently. I gag at first then I start cracking up.

They're always the best in a shower too.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Occasionally I'll dutch oven myself inadvertently. I gag at first then I start cracking up.

They're always the best in a shower too.
That's just wrong, hehe :D

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Or of course, I make a detour to the break room while my employees are eating lunch just to rip one.

Back on track though, I'm going to put in another vote for ginger root.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I tried digestive enzymes and ginger root. They both didn't seem to help any. At what dose are you guys taking the ginger? I think I was using 500mg 3-4 times daily.

Hamper, do you get that in cap form?

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Most of my problems were alleviated by going with a blend instead of just whey.

Lonny

Awards
Flax Seeds

Flax seeds whether ground or swallowed whole i find to be extremely effective at neutralizing flatulence odour. They won't cut down on the frequency of gas but they will help keep people around you.