AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much protein does everyone eat, in relation to their weight, when they are blasting and cruising?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A thought occurred to me a while back. The answer is always 200 grams. If you can get that every single day, you will have pretty good recovery potential, maintain a decent nitrogen balance when dieting if spread out, have enough to build when in a caloric surplus, and most people can get that in without much trouble. 4-5 meals/shakes of 40-50g/meal is very doable for many.

This is applicable for most guys from about 160-240lbs. Yes that’s getting scarce for the heavier end of that, but either they’re on drugs to be so heavy and lean (which will pull a lot of weight) or they’re fatter if natural and thus don’t have as much lean tissue anyway. So the answer is still always about 200g/day. More is probably better to a point of diminishing returns, but a lot can be done with 200 every single day.

Calories vs bmr is what I would consider when looking at blast or cruise time (and current intention to cut/gain).

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I really like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight on a blast. Or my body does, rather.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I really like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight on a blast. Or my body does, rather.
What do you weigh? I know from experience that me eating 350g of protein just ends up in the toilet bowl. Something like 280, I can make that stick fine.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What do you weigh? I know from experience that me eating 350g of protein just ends up in the toilet bowl. Something like 280, I can make that stick fine.
I weigh 226 as of last night 1 am. Down a few lbs from the other day. Sucks.

I do think it helps a lot if a good 100-150g of the protein is quickly absorbed whey isolate. Food volume kills me. So that really helps.

Too much carbs and I get fat, too much fat and I get fat. So high protein is the only way I can be heavy, get heavier, and not be a fat fucker.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am eating about 1.75g right now. I may drop it down to 1.5 though, to save a little on the grocery bill. 1.5 would bring me at 286.8 grams per day.

I use the bathroom twice per day since I have been eating 1.75g/lb, but think it has more to do with my overall calories versus protein, but when I drop it next week, I'll have to keep track of that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am eating about 1.75g right now. I may drop it down to 1.5 though, to save a little on the grocery bill. 1.5 would bring me at 286.8 grams per day.

I use the bathroom twice per day since I have been eating 1.75g/lb, but think it has more to do with my overall calories versus protein, but when I drop it next week, I'll have to keep track of that.
1.75 would be 385g for me, for perspective - an entire lb of lean meat more than you every day, on top of what we already eat.

I think people love to say bodyweight, but the real focus to base needs off of is LEAN bodymass. Since you weigh ~165 this value and bodyweight are probably nearly synonymous, but it won’t be at 200lbs likely.

J

Joseph2288

Awards
I've read studies that say the body only requires .5 grams of protein per pound of body weight to maintain muscle. I've heard people go all the up to 2 grams of protein which is a huge wast of money imo. I shoot for 1 gram per pound and
arnold schwarzenegger always said 1 gram was the sweet spot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Weight Loss 31
T Anabolics 22
H Nutrition / Health 8
J Nutrition / Health 5
LMuscle Anabolics 5