Powerlifting with a physically demanding job?

Bwalker118

Awards
First things first, no opinions from people with non physical jobs unless youve been there!

Im a 3rd generation farmer, and when Im not scheduled for farm work I do construction and feed deliveries. Daily tasks could range from carrying water buckets and cleaning stalls, carrying bags of concrete, bundles of fence posts, or 50lb feed bags to and from the truck to, rarely, walking a jobsite doing finishing touches which doesnt involve as much lifting. But day to day theres always at least a lot of walking. On farm days I can easily take breaks to drink water and have a meal or snack. But on the jobsite my foreman (25 years old, fat, and stressed constantly) tends to over delegate tasks and we take no lunch breaks. I do my best to take bites when I can but it feels near impossible to eat what I need to eat with him in my ear constantly. Unfortunately michigan does not have any laws against mandatory overtime or lunch break laws. Legally, they dont have to give me any breaks even if im working a 12 hour day and believe me it happens. Unless I got pregnant which would mean no powerlifting anyways. Changing jobs isnt really much an option as I know a lot of labor jobs are like this. Long hours and very few breaks. Outside trades and farming, theres nothing I love to do for work. Customer service is soul sucking, desk jobs are depressing and boring and I detest the medical field. But I also love powerlifting and if my two loves can coexist Id sure be happy.

Its not a question of time. I know I can make time even though some days Id rather drop dead.

My question is, could I get away with doing a 3 day per week lifting program? Ive been doing a 3 day program but not making much progress. Not as much as I would like to see. The one Id like to run is 4, but going into summer, itll be tough.

Also, should i try to reserve weekends for full complete recovery? Or would it be best to lift on those off days?

Lastly, if anyone has suggestions on good bars, meals or snacks i can inhale while working Id appreciate any suggestions.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Most of the jobs I've had, including my current one, are physically demanding. From construction to diesel mechanic work. I've almost always favored the M/W/F split and did a program that was chest/tri, back/bi and legs/shoulders for many years with great success.

3 days a week is definitely enough if you train and eat right. Do what you can while at work, and eat accordingly when you're off work.

I basically fast all day now with the exception of 2 (no sugar) energy drinks throughout the day to keep me going. Sometimes, I'll pick up a snickers to get me through as I will definitely burn through it during work. When I get home, I make sure to eat right to reach my goals. So far so good. In the beginning of adapting to a physically demanding job, it can be hard to stay motivated when you're constantly sore from both work and lifting, but the body will adapt.

Bwalker118

Awards
Most of the jobs I've had, including my current one, are physically demanding. From construction to diesel mechanic work. I've almost always favored the M/W/F split and did a program that was chest/tri, back/bi and legs/shoulders for many years with great success.

3 days a week is definitely enough if you train and eat right. Do what you can while at work, and eat accordingly when you're off work.

I basically fast all day now with the exception of 2 (no sugar) energy drinks throughout the day to keep me going. Sometimes, I'll pick up a snickers to get me through as I will definitely burn through it during work. When I get home, I make sure to eat right to reach my goals. So far so good. In the beginning of adapting to a physically demanding job, it can be hard to stay motivated when you're constantly sore from both work and lifting, but the body will adapt.
Thanks for the reply,
Yeah I have been working physical labor for years, and ive been attempting powerlifting for 3. Im just to a point where my progress has been slow and awful and Im thinking its these long periods of hunger and maybe im burning too many calories.
My training has been consistent though! So Im thinking its either my eating patterns/calorie intake, or its not enough recovery time

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the reply,
Yeah I have been working physical labor for years, and ive been attempting powerlifting for 3. Im just to a point where my progress has been slow and awful and Im thinking its these long periods of hunger and maybe im burning too many calories.
My training has been consistent though! So Im thinking its either my eating patterns/calorie intake, or its not enough recovery time
Make your training 1rm 90% of your tested 1rm, the progressively load using percentages based on your training 1rm. Deload every 6 weeks, or every 4 if you are over 35. Train in early morning, early enough that you can eat and rest for an hr before work. Favour steady constant progress over fast progress.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I work commercial construction and can feel your pain. Keep protein bars in your pockets for when you can't take breaks. Quest Hero peanut butter chocolate is a staple for my work day. Get in plenty of water. @BennyMagoo79 lined you out on basically Wendler's 531 which is a great program, I've been running it successfully for years. I go every other day so roughly 3.5 days per week and it keeps me from getting too run down.

Sounds like your work situation may not change anytime soon, but if possible you should definitely look into getting into a skilled (licensed) trade and better yet within a union. Don't subject yourself to slave labor just to stay out from behind a desk. They're not all as demanding as what it sounds like your current gig is.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have owned a labor intensive Small business(roofs) for 20 years in hot sunny Florida.

I absolutely love it and have Learned to own the morning. I run 4.2 miles on Mondays and Tuesday's at 5 am

On Wed/Thursday/Friday I do hitt at my gym 515am. Then I throw in some weight training on off days in the afternoon when I have some passive work going as my rotator cuffs are really bad and I can't weight lift like the old days

Micronutrients and water, I get severe leg cramps from working with ladders if I slack off with my minerals etc.

Nothing better than owning all your time.
Ex golf pro for 9 years and I wouldn't trade my lifestyle back.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you have decent internet and a computer? There's lots of work from home jobs now. Work from home + home gym really cuts down on commute time