Possible to get shredded with just cardio?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
...and no change in diet?

Lee Priest said that when he used to cut for competition, he just increased his cardio because he hated dieting. He said that on some days, he just went for 2-3 hour walks and ate the same amount. Is it possible to do that for us regular joes?

Thanks!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Lee Priest said that when he used to cut for competition, he just increased his cardio because he hated dieting. He said that on some days, he just went for 2-3 hour walks and ate the same amount. Is it possible to do that for us regular joes?

Thanks!
Realistically it will always boil down to calories in calories out. Some macro splits will better assist you in your goals, but when all is said and done cals in vs cals out. Also lee priest was a genetic freak, so idk if most people should use him as a comparison. I remember pics of him being off season and he was huge. He definitely has a lot of body fat, but he was huge! Tons of muscle! A frame with that much muscle is a different animal regarding caloric needs and metabolism

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Realistically it will always boil down to calories in calories out. Some macro splits will better assist you in your goals, but when all is said and done cals in vs cals out. Also lee priest was a genetic freak, so idk if most people should use him as a comparison. I remember pics of him being off season and he was huge. He definitely has a lot of body fat, but he was huge! Tons of muscle! A frame with that much muscle is a different animal regarding caloric needs and metabolism
if a guy that big eats the same amount and adds in 2-3 hours of walking he is increasing calorie expenditure considerably.

Mzakif

Mzakif

Awards
  • Established
I think it all depends on calories in and out

However I had this debate today with on of the guys that he always managed to drop Body fat while on maintenance calories and implementing carb cycling

And taking ripped freak or animal cuts with l carnitine

He swears that he loses fat and jerky loses any muscle mass

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if a guy that big eats the same amount and adds in 2-3 hours of walking he is increasing calorie expenditure considerably.
Exactly right, plus if he is doing 2-3 hours of cardio he is probably missing one of his meals he had before, so there’s even more calorie deficit. I have to say, I have heard lee speak about this before and he dirty bulked, but iirc he said he did a ton of cardio and dieted, he just would rather add more cardio than starve himself, but he still dieted.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Thanks!
He also said he switched from 3 meals in the off season to 6 pre contest and dropped fast food

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s definitely possible. You’ll have to be stricter with your diet since you’re not burning calories from the cardio, but it’s very possible. I’ve heard of some very successful bodybuilders who never do cardio.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It’s definitely possible. You’ll have to be stricter with your diet since you’re not burning calories from the cardio, but it’s very possible. I’ve heard of some very successful bodybuilders who never do cardio.
He's talking about doing cardio and not dieting

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lee Priest was also chemically enhanced.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I completely 100% believe that Lee Priest came off his gear in the off-season and that's why his contest preps were so drastic. Just like levrone, he would gain weight leading up to like a month out from contests.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I completely 100% believe that Lee Priest came off his gear in the off-season and that's why his contest preps were so drastic. Just like levrone, he would gain weight leading up to like a month out from contests.
this makes sense...every sport has a off season for athletes to recover from almost every day training to be in top shape.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thanks!

Absolutely. I'm doing that currently. I ride my bike to the gym, I walk on the grass with my bike, I get to the gym, I hop on a cardio machine, I do boxing fitness/boxing cardio, I Try some crossfit functional training type stuff, I pose in the mirrors in what I call the posing room, I ride my bike home. Its a much more relaxed environment than weight raining. During weights I don't talk to people too much and focused on the weights.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely. I'm doing that currently. I ride my bike to the gym, I walk on the grass with my bike, I get to the gym, I hop on a cardio machine, I do boxing fitness/boxing cardio, I Try some crossfit functional training type stuff, I pose in the mirrors in what I call the posing room, I ride my bike home. Its a much more relaxed environment than weight raining. During weights I don't talk to people too much and focused on the weights.
that is similar to my routine atm, had to stop lifting because of injury...staying in really good shape with sprints/running/tennis, muscle tone is great and I am ok with losing some mass at my age. I plan on lifting again in about a month, but will focus on lighter weights and higher reps.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Loose weight yes. Shredded tho? I have never met a person who was shredded with a shitty diet

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Loose weight yes. Shredded tho? I have never met a person who was shredded with a shitty diet

No, my diet is good. what Im saying its a technique when you've plateaued to try. Try it for a week and if it doesnt work, try something else. By no means should you eat shitty. You must stay on your diet that will get you the body you aim for at the date set, like a vacation at the beach, a wedding, a competition of some kind.

mugger

mugger

Awards

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure he dieted harder than the average mammal. He was an extreme case, not the average.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm pretty sure he dieted harder than the average mammal. He was an extreme case, not the average.
While he was dieting for a competition he dieted. He like eating food, so instead of taking more food away, he made up with it with more cardio. It can mean walking for an hour or so, it doesnt have to be hard cardio, just moving around for 2 hours.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
No, my diet is good. what Im saying its a technique when you've plateaued to try. Try it for a week and if it doesnt work, try something else. By no means should you eat shitty. You must stay on your diet that will get you the body you aim for at the date set, like a vacation at the beach, a wedding, a competition of some kind.
I know all this. Im pretty sure the op wants to get shredded while eating like crap

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know all this. Im pretty sure the op wants to get shredded while eating like crap
Not at all. I keep my diet healthy and only occasionally do I treat myself. I'm just curious how far one can tweak fitness/diet parameters and still see results.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Not at all. I keep my diet healthy and only occasionally do I treat myself. I'm just curious how far one can tweak fitness/diet parameters and still see results.
Okay that's not what I was getting from your original post.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is it not possible to get shredded on a terrible diet as long as you are eating below maintenance?

Okay that's not what I was getting from your original post.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Is it not possible to get shredded on a terrible diet as long as you are eating below maintenance?
Shredded with little muscle mass probably. But I don't know any muscular shredded people that eat like crap. To me the word shredded is damn near contests shape

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you eat clean 90% of the time and know your body you can easily eat ice cream every day and get shredded. A shitty diet to me is when you have protein shakes, chicken etc and just eat whatever the rest of the day.