pH level of homebrew

Number 5

Awards
i read a few articles about people adjusting the pH level of their homebrews. i tested mine i noticed that they were neutral. i have have NaOH lying around. what benefit is there to adjusting the brew? what should I adjust it to?

thakns.

p.s. i presume the pH level goes down if i throw in NaOH, but is that all there is to it?

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
The reason for adjusting ph is if your using Crabmer. Sometimes if the ph is not right it will just clump up. If you are not having a problem. DOn't worry about it.. Hope that helps.. Talkto ya..

Number 5

Awards
curt, i'm not using carbomer b/c when i did the first time it sank to the bottom & clogged up my dispenser and was a bitch to get rid off... now i just apply the non-gelled lotion.

if there is a way to get carbomer 934 to work with your homebrew formula, then please let me know.

also, i remember some soap adds saying the soap had pH-level 5.5 and was therefore more skin friendly. could this be used to make the 1-t/4-ad lotion more skin friendly?

thanks.

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
It will be pretty much basic(ph level).. I woudl just leave it alone. I have had no problems ever. BUT for the carbomer Chemo found that 930 works perfectly well for gelling the solution instead of the 934.. Hope that helps.. talk to ya...

Number 5

Awards
actually, mine was exactly neutral. but i'll leave it alone anyway, seems to work fine. thanks for the info.

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
**** I meant to say neutral.. hehehe. Basic. Care for a chemical burn.. hehehe. Talk to ya...

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Number 5,

Carbomer 940 can be used to gel a mix better than 934.

Mix .5 g carbomer to the 10% gycerol and mix well.  It will take up to 15 minutes for the carbomer to wet and disperse.  Adjust the pH of this initial mix to 7.2-7.4 with triethanolamine or a drop or two of NaOH.  Add this to the rest of the ingredients and check pH again.  If you use OA the pH will instantly drop to acidic and you will have to adjust again.

If gelling the brew be sure to use an adequate volume of d-Limonene as this is the emulsifier that allows the water and oil based ingredients to mix.

Chemo

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by ShadowJack
Chemo, do you have a source for the Carbomer 940? I don't recall seeing it on the lemelange website.
Sorry bro...my source for the carbomer is commercial accounts only. 

Chemo