On Cycle Training Split & Diet

Joedub86

Awards
  • Best Answer
Hey, guys. I’m about to start my first cycle. I’ve been lifting for almost 17 years and tried pretty much every split and lifting routine possible. My goal is strictly bulking. I’m currently doing push, pull, legs 4 days a week and hitting each muscle group every 5 days. I’m thinking about switching it up to chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs, then repeat for 6 days a week with 1 day off. The only reason I want to add a shoulder only day is to focus more on my shoulders because I feel they don’t get adequately hit on push days. Does this seem like a good plan, or should I switch to something like a push, pull, legs 6 days a week? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Try to hit each muscle group a minimum of twice a week.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The easiest question is: what has worked for you well in the past? That's a good starting point.

Next I would say: what do you enjoy - can be volume driven, intensity driven, a certain split, equipment, etc? (so you'll stick with it for awhile)

Lastly, more of a comment, for strictly bulking, you'll probably want more rest vs a 6 day plan. Unless you're on something, it will be hard to recover between workouts unless they're VERY low volume

Joedub86

Awards
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice. I will be on a cycle and have heard you can handle more volume with less rest. I’ve been wanting to hit shoulders more since I feel they don’t get hit hard enough on Push days. So, I think I’ll be doing 4 days, Chest/tris, Back/Bis, Shoulders, Legs, then repeat on the 5th and 6th day (i.e. Chest/tris again, Back/Bis again, etc) and take 1 day off for a total of 6 days a week.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice. I will be on a cycle and have heard you can handle more volume with less rest. I’ve been wanting to hit shoulders more since I feel they don’t get hit hard enough on Push days. So, I think I’ll be doing 4 days, Chest/tris, Back/Bis, Shoulders, Legs, then repeat on the 5th and 6th day (i.e. Chest/tris again, Back/Bis again, etc) and take 1 day off for a total of 6 days a week.
You can for sure handle more, but just realize that more work will require more rest and more food to ensure you're in a surplus. Get ready to eat a ton and sleep 8+ and maybe even some naps if you truly want to maximize the work.

seanmitchell12

Awards
I think you should be focused on general workout plan, in which whole body parts are get involved.

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hey, guys. I’m about to start my first cycle. I’ve been lifting for almost 17 years and tried pretty much every split and lifting routine possible. My goal is strictly bulking. I’m currently doing push, pull, legs 4 days a week and hitting each muscle group every 5 days. I’m thinking about switching it up to chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs, then repeat for 6 days a week with 1 day off. The only reason I want to add a shoulder only day is to focus more on my shoulders because I feel they don’t get adequately hit on push days. Does this seem like a good plan, or should I switch to something like a push, pull, legs 6 days a week? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
legs 4 days/week? My legs are completely fucked for like 4 days after I work them out, so getting in two times is tough for me.

Joedub86

Awards
  • Best Answer
legs 4 days/week? My legs are completely fucked for like 4 days after I work them out, so getting in two times is tough for me.
No, I meant each muscle group twice within 4-5 days. So, Mon-Thurs (Chest/tris, Back/bis, Shoilders, Legs). Then start with cheat/tris again, etc.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
No, I meant each muscle group twice within 4-5 days. So, Mon-Thurs (Chest/tris, Back/bis, Shoilders, Legs). Then start with cheat/tris again, etc.
U may also do Shoulder and legs at same day.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In the short term 2x per week seems to be more effective then 1x per week
You would want to train each body part somewhere between their minimum effective volume and maximal recoverable volume
Use 5-30 reps per set and train within 3 reps of failure per set
Divide volume throughout the week however fits your preferences, life schedule, and recovery with the above in mind. Train body parts you want to focus on in the beginning of any given workout

If you do not understand the concepts I laid above then you do not really understand how to design a training program and should educate yourself before doing so and use a proven program that has worked for you in the past instead.

liljohn

Awards
Look at the First Cycle Training Program I posted in the training forum.