Unanswered MuscleLoss

jimenezdavid47

Awards
I've been training for about 15 years daily, consistently. If I completely stopped working out, how fast would I lose muscle mass?

I'm going to guess that the answer here is no, but here I go anyway, has anyone tried to lose muscle mass on purpose?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been training for about 15 years daily, consistently. If I completely stopped working out, how fast would I lose muscle mass?

I'm going to guess that the answer here is no, but here I go anyway, has anyone tried to lose muscle mass on purpose?
This is one of those answers where there probably isn’t going to be an easy/exact answer to how fast you’ll lose it.

I personally haven’t but know a few people who have (to be lighter for sports).

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
While I don’t think he was actually trying to lose muscle, swimfan did drop about 100 pounds, and I assume dropped some muscle in the process.

As far as what you’ll lose, it’s going to depend on too many different factors.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You stop lifting, do some light cardio, drop protein, you should see some muscle loss.

jimenezdavid47

Awards
You stop lifting, do some light cardio, drop protein, you should see some muscle loss.
All that, plus the most obvious, restricting calories. I just wasn't to certain how much of a difference it would make dropping protein. I figured you need protein to build muscle, so cutting down on protein and calories could help with their catabolism, if not, at least prevent them from being in a hypertrophic state.

jimenezdavid47

Awards
While I don’t think he was actually trying to lose muscle, swimfan did drop about 100 pounds, and I assume dropped some muscle in the process.

As far as what you’ll lose, it’s going to depend on too many different factors.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get in contact with him. Every bit of info helps.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@jimenezdavid47 - curious, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by losing muscle?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@jimenezdavid47 - curious, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by losing muscle?
Same here. Ha i think most tend to want to do the opposite.