Match's (Yearly) Progress Log

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Starting in September of 2021 I got back into lifting seriously (hadn't lifted regularly, for any truly significant amount of time, since about 2001). I had some goals that I set and I tracked my weight, supplement use, workouts, and took progress photos.

This week I hit the 1 year mark since I finished cleaning out the garage (to get the bench back into use) and starting the resistance training. I found AM right around the time I started training, but I never logged my workouts, any supplements, diet, or progress. I'm posting this today as a yearly progress log (with the intent of posting my progress each year around this time). Below are the goals I set out, achievements, stats, and progress photos of week 1 and week 52. As you'll see from the photos, I've still got a long way to go in the muscular development department, but progress is progress. I hope this can provide some motivation to others, because (as cliche and it must sound) if I can do it: anyone can.

Stats:
Height: 6'2"
Week 1 Weight: 186 lbs
Week 52 Weight: 197 lbs
Starting/Current BF: You tell me, looks like it decreased slightly

Goals:
My goals initially were to develop my physique and get in the best looking shape that I could, additionally I wanted to be able to stay healthy and active to be able to make the most out of my time with the kids (and perhaps, someday, grandkids). That being said, I didn't ever really try to cut or focus on fat loss. Early on I had intended to delve into anabolics, but decided against it after getting blood test results, as well as researching potential side effects on AM. My blood test results revealed that I had an elevated ALT value of 144 (ref range 0-47), and a total T of ~1100 (ref range 300-900). This combination of factors made it seem like the risk to my liver was not worth it, and the naturally above-average T levels inspired me to try to make the most of what I was already producing, rather than risk a temporary increase with a resulting loss of recovery after PCT.

Diet:
Due mostly to my elevated ALT levels, I changed my diet significantly. I cut out foods containing: white flour, processed sugar, great amounts of dairy (mostly cheese), refried beans, and anything fried. I added salads into my diet (something I had always detested before) and now eat salad almost every day (usually pre workout). I haven't had pizza in a year, which for me has been quite a price to pay, but well worth it.

Details:
As stated earlier, I didn't use AAS during this past year. I don't know at this point that I ever intend to do so. As far as other supplements go, I tried a LOT of different supplements, and still have a nice stockpile left over. I'm no longer doing the kitchen sink supplement approach, but instead selectively using up my stockpile. My staple supplements, that I intend to restock in the future for sure, are: multivitamin, omega 3 fish oil caps, magnesium, d3, NAC, PA, creatine, protein powder, EAA's+pre/intra-workout carbs. Also worth noting that I dabbled a little bit in CJC w/DAC, mk677, and SR9009; so I can't claim natty status.
I did not track my diet/macros; I ate what I wanted to, within my dietary restrictions, whenever I wanted to.
I weighed myself every day this last year, always first thing in the morning right out of bed, before hydrating or eating.
All progress photos were taken on Tuesdays, every 3 weeks, prior to workout (flexing, but no work out pump).

Achievements:
In this first year, my bf% appears to have decreased slightly, and weight has increased by 11 lbs. My ALT has also been brought down into the ref range (currently 33). I have to figure that's due to the change in diet and the use of NAC. My strength has gone up in all of my lifts (though I never was strong and still don't consider myself to be so) and my endurance is much better than it was. My physique has improved, but it still has quite a ways to go in my opinion. My wife is pleased with the way I look, and occasionally I find out that someone who knows me has been inspired by my progress and has begun to work on their own fitness.

Goals For This Coming Year:
Over the next 52 weeks my intention is to continue to improve my physique, improve my diet even more. I also want to develop my forearms and neck a bit more (I realized only recently that I've neglected specifically working on those two muscle groups). My chest has always been pretty weak (and poorly defined), so continued progress there is definitely a high priority as well. I haven't decided if I want to cut yet, but I certainly want to keep an eye on my bf% to make sure I don't start to balloon. I also want to do my best not to get injured along the way. I have no intention of using AAS as long as my total T levels stay elevated naturally, especially if I can keep making these kinds of gains.

Photos:

Thanks for taking the time to read/skim through this. If anyone has any questions about anything above, feel free to reply here and I'd be glad to discuss. I also wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with answers and advice along the way (quite a few of you so I won't name names, but you probably all know who you are). Feel free to call my a skinny little pip-squeak too, I'll take all the motivation I can get!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just saw this Match…..you can definitely see the improvements in chest, shoulders, and arms, and you do appear to have lost some fat, but the most important improvement was getting that ALT down, which shows the change in diet and workout led to the most important change…..improved health.
Great job brother. 👍

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks bro, and you're definitely right about that, great perspective!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the next year has to bring as I really dial in the training and make real progress with cuts and bulks instead of just a slow recomp.

Gandalfthegreg

Gandalfthegreg

Awards
Great progress man and it’s awesome when you hear that you’ve inspired other people to invest in their bodies and health! Over the past couple years I have slimmed down drastically (think fat power lifter to less fat power lifter/bodybuilder ) and one of the best feelings for me is my kids starting to be impressed by my changes and asking me questions about diet and exercise. Keep up the great work and being a source of inspiration for guys like
me!