Long weight cut for BJJ

Mhenny24

Awards
Hello. This is my first post and I just want to say thanks for having me in the community. I’m a 6’ 2” male, 26 years old, and I currently weigh 203 pounds. I’ve been cutting for a month and I’m down 12 pounds from 215. My goal is to get to 185 by November for 2 Brazilian jiu jitsu competitions. I lift weights or do kettlebell workouts 3-5 times a week and I train jiu jitsu 3-5 times a week. I also go for a 3-4 mile walk most mornings while fasted. I balance them by going light some days in the weight room and going light some days on the BJJ training. I also do ice baths and saunas for recovery. The first reason I’m cutting weight in July for a competition that isn’t until November is because I came off a 4 month bulk on 350 test E a week and the ran super squats program and drank the gallon of (local raw) milk a day it prescribed. I went from 185 to 215 in those 4 months with some of it obviously being water weight. The second reason I’m cutting so early is because in BJJ you weigh in immediately before your competition so I do not want to have to dehydrate myself right before the match. So after I bulked for 4 months, I cruised for 6 weeks on 175mg of test E and 2iu’s of GH. Last month I added in EQ and Anavar when I started cutting. I also began to intermittent fast to help lose weight. So right now my whole plan is to intermittent fast until 3:00 then have a high protein meal and hit the gym 2 hours after. After the gym I load up on protein and carbs. My current cycle looks like 175mg of test E/ week, 300mg of EQ/ week, 25mg of Anavar/ day, 2iu’s of GH/ day, and 500mg of L-carnitine/ day. I’m only running Var for 6 weeks.

My question is, what could I improve? How do I retain the most lean muscle mass while shredding fat and water weight? How do I not lose strength and endurance as I cut? Recovering from hard training days has definitely been harder since I started restricting calories. My diet mostly consists of meat, fruit, veggies, rice, eggs, and açaí bowls. I sleep 7 hours a night MINIMUM (I use cannabis flower and oil so sleeping isn’t usually an issue for me). I really look forward to y’all’s feedback and thanks in advance for anyone who offers advice!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You could improve your ability to maintain muscle and loose fat mass by not intermittent fasting and sticking with a solid 5-6meal plan. That's not too crazy of a cut and you got a long time it sounds like. Im a fair amount shorter then you 5'9 but my weight cuts are 208-210 starting weight and my weight class was 178.

Do you weigh in on the day of competition or the night before?

Mhenny24

Awards
You could improve your ability to maintain muscle and loose fat mass by not intermittent fasting and sticking with a solid 5-6meal plan. That's not too crazy of a cut and you got a long time it sounds like. Im a fair amount shorter then you 5'9 but my weight cuts are 208-210 starting weight and my weight class was 178.

Do you weigh in on the day of competition or the night before?
Same day weigh ins

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Same day weigh ins
Ya that sucks. If I can offer any advice I'd say aim to make weight about 1 week before and hold it if possible. Obviously the more muscular you are the harder that's going to be. But if your already at weight and comfortable and well hydrated it will be way easier then sucking weight last minute and compete dehydrated.

I'd drop the orals and the eq a few weeks before, the reason being is that even tho there good for endurance and performance. The performance will suffer if you get a good pump and can't move great. Also the less gear, the less water retention and it's easier to make weight.

Mhenny24

Awards
Ya that sucks. If I can offer any advice I'd say aim to make weight about 1 week before and hold it if possible. Obviously the more muscular you are the harder that's going to be. But if your already at weight and comfortable and well hydrated it will be way easier then sucking weight last minute and compete dehydrated.

I'd drop the orals and the eq a few weeks before, the reason being is that even tho there good for endurance and performance. The performance will suffer if you get a good pump and can't move great. Also the less gear, the less water retention and it's easier to make weight.
Thank you. I’ll definitely be dropping down to just test and Gh before the match.

lamarclark09

Awards
I also lose weight when I take part in bjj competitions.