LOG: 13 Week RP Diet Cut - 20lb Target

KrunkChris

Awards
Today I started my RP cut. Plan to update weekly. This will be my second cut, I did a similar one a year ago, but managed to just put the weight back on. This time I am integrating some light weight lifting, as after being out of the gym for 5-8 years, I need to start adding muscle and working out.

35 years old (corporate stress job)
195 -> target 175
13 week RP diet app
No alcohol
Multi V, creatine

Thinking of maybe adding MIC/B12/L-C blend and maybe a natural test booster later in the cut.

If you have any recommendations, would appreciate any feedback, on the cut or in general. I’m hopeful this is the start to building habits to start crushing it (like I did when I was 20 lol).

View attachment 221991View attachment 221992

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What is a RP diet?
Hadn't heard of it either but a quick google search pulls up this "Renaissance Periodization (RP) is a diet coaching company "

Maybe KrunkChris can go into more detail?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh, okey. Renaissance Periodization is Mike Israetel's stuff. So it's good stuff. His YT channel is named Renaissance Periodization aswell.

KrunkChris

Awards
That's correct, its a Renaissance Periodization diet. It is just a Macro based diet. They have coaches and also App, the first time I did the coach, and this time I am trying the app. I am also using their at home based workout plan for the first few weeks.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If I can offer any advice, don't set a # on weight loss. Diet according to the mirror. An arbitrary number doesn't really mean much. And most of the time I see ppl set a goal like loose 20lbd or whatever the number may be, they either A. stop trying after they hit their goal or B. Realize the goal was not the results they were working for, like 20 wasn't enough.

But the mirror will always be honest with you.

I can remember bulking to 225 and thinking, if I lose 10 lb I'll be ripped. Then at 215 I was like if I lose 10 more pounds I'll be ripped, then at 205 and so on till I was 185. What I thought was about 10lbs hiding my 6 pack was actually 40. And I wasn't very fat at the beginning.

MikeWay

Awards
Do not believe in any diet efficiency. You'll get into the same body shape when quite the diet.
I'm trying to eat more or less the same amount of calories every day
My usual day meals are
For breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs on seeded bread for breakfast.
MP high-protein muffins
Lunch: rice, veg, and lean beef
Dinner: I often drink a glass of vegetable and fruit juice. Have a blender like this. I believe that one method to make them simple to get down is the fact that I'm not a huge lover of either.

Last edited:
KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do not believe in any diet efficiency. You'll get into the same body shape when quite the diet.
I'm trying to eat more or less the same amount of calories every day
My usual day meals are
For breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs on seeded bread for breakfast.
MP high-protein muffins
Lunch: rice, veg, and lean beef
Dinner: I often drink a glass of vegetable and fruit juice. Have a juicer. I believe that one method to make them simple to get down is the fact that I'm not a huge lover of either.
Not completely sure what you mean, but fad diets are bad for sure in the long run and many do jump on a 'diet' and after revert back to where they were. But what we usually mean, when talking about diet here is a diet plan, so a diet. Just like your's above is your diet plan and so your diet.

When it comes to loosing weight, you obviously have to eat less calories, than you consume. So normally you have or should have a decent diet (plan) in place and then you start to decrease calories, many times mainly from carbs. And keep decreasing calories (or increasing activity) as you go further and your metabolism starts to slow down. And when you're lean enough for your liking, you start 'reverse dieting' and adding the same foods back in.

Of course, if you don't have a good diet or a diet plan in place and you want to start cutting, then you can learn and look up some diet plans, like from the Renaissance periodization in this case. And then after the cut do your reverse dieting and keep performing the newly learned diet plan. Hope that makes sense.

If you eat the same amount every day, week after week, month after month, you won't grow (for long), or lean out (for long).

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is a terrible way to diet.

4 eggs and bread, that's "ok"

Muffins? I don't care if there protein muffins whatever that is, it's not even a meal it's a snack.

Beef with rice and vegetables, that's the only proper thing in this diet.

Juice for dinner, no thank you.

Looks like approximately 1200-1500 calories, I'm guessing the meal sizes based off meal 1, but if I'm correct on those calories, it's a starvation diet, or a diet for a 120lb female

MakeTime3

MakeTime3

Awards
Hey OP,

Hope the diet and exercise are going well and you’re sticking to it.

1. Is there a reason for the 13 weeks? Anniversary? Vacation?

2. Do you have a game plan after you lose the weight so you don’t fall back into old habits?

KrunkChris

Awards
If I can offer any advice, don't set a # on weight loss. Diet according to the mirror. An arbitrary number doesn't really mean much. And most of the time I see ppl set a goal like loose 20lbd or whatever the number may be, they either A. stop trying after they hit their goal or B. Realize the goal was not the results they were working for, like 20 wasn't enough.

But the mirror will always be honest with you.

I can remember bulking to 225 and thinking, if I lose 10 lb I'll be ripped. Then at 215 I was like if I lose 10 more pounds I'll be ripped, then at 205 and so on till I was 185. What I thought was about 10lbs hiding my 6 pack was actually 40. And I wasn't very fat at the beginning.
its only a set number of pounds because the diet app won't let me do more than the 20 over 13 weeks. 175 is also where I ended up last time which felt "good", it certainly wasnt 6 pack or anything, I dont really want to go below 175 on my frame either. I am at the start of my journey, I need to get back up to 190 at 10-15%, but I am FAR from that. Cheers!

KrunkChris

Awards
Not completely sure what you mean, but fad diets are bad for sure in the long run and many do jump on a 'diet' and after revert back to where they were. But what we usually mean, when talking about diet here is a diet plan, so a diet. Just like your's above is your diet plan and so your diet.

When it comes to loosing weight, you obviously have to eat less calories, than you consume. So normally you have or should have a decent diet (plan) in place and then you start to decrease calories, many times mainly from carbs. And keep decreasing calories (or increasing activity) as you go further and your metabolism starts to slow down. And when you're lean enough for your liking, you start 'reverse dieting' and adding the same foods back in.

Of course, if you don't have a good diet or a diet plan in place and you want to start cutting, then you can learn and look up some diet plans, like from the Renaissance periodization in this case. And then after the cut do your reverse dieting and keep performing the newly learned diet plan. Hope that makes sense.

If you eat the same amount every day, week after week, month after month, you won't grow (for long), or lean out (for long).
Spot on, and RP is just a plan. Cut, Mtx, or Bulk. and does the math for your exactly as you described.

KrunkChris

Awards
This is a terrible way to diet.

4 eggs and bread, that's "ok"

Muffins? I don't care if there protein muffins whatever that is, it's not even a meal it's a snack.

Beef with rice and vegetables, that's the only proper thing in this diet.

Juice for dinner, no thank you.

Looks like approximately 1200-1500 calories, I'm guessing the meal sizes based off meal 1, but if I'm correct on those calories, it's a starvation diet, or a diet for a 120lb female
Spot on, this was me previously "eating clean" but in reality under eating and slowing metabolism. bad downward spiral.

KrunkChris

Awards
Hey OP,

Hope the diet and exercise are going well and you’re sticking to it.

1. Is there a reason for the 13 weeks? Anniversary? Vacation?

2. Do you have a game plan after you lose the weight so you don’t fall back into old habits?
Thank you, I am only 4 days in but holding strong. For me, the first few weeks will actually be more food than I am used to. Proper maintenance calories and very clean foods, means a lot of eating. its more the prep in weighing thats a pain in the ass.

12/13 weeks is the longest diet period recommend so you don't stress your body. 13 is the max the app will let you go.

I plan on shifting to maintenance or going right into bulk and continuing to meal prep and weigh food. I am hopeful. Really the process of cut, maintain or bulk should never stop, and after becoming an expert tracking food should become second nature.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Spot on, and RP is just a plan. Cut, Mtx, or Bulk. and does the math for your exactly as you described.
It's just one school of thought. In the bigger scheme of things, all these plans will work if you adhere to the basic principles of progressive overload and your calories are appropriate for your goals.

Consistency is King