Last Session Before Long(ish) Break

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We're getting ready for an Americana style road trip here in a few days. Down to Tucson, Tombstone, then up through Phoenix, some Route 66 stuff before landing in Vegas for NYE...

That said Thursday (deadlifts) and Friday (upper/Bench) are going to be my last session probably until Jan 2nd... I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that I'll get to lift over the next week.

Any thoughts on how to treat these two sessions? Balls to the wall volume with utter destruction of the CNS to recover for a week, or just treat it like a normal lifting day?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Usually when I know I am going to have a lay off I play my training cycle around some form of testing (doesn't necessarily mean maxing though).

When shorter term or if something pops up I do usually just end with the RPE/RIR at a higher/harder level. I also am taking the week after Christmas off as well and didn't have enough time for a full block so I just did a slightly intensity and volume increasing pivot that ends this week with touching on some heavier stuff.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We're getting ready for an Americana style road trip here in a few days. Down to Tucson, Tombstone, then up through Phoenix, some Route 66 stuff before landing in Vegas for NYE...

That said Thursday (deadlifts) and Friday (upper/Bench) are going to be my last session probably until Jan 2nd... I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that I'll get to lift over the next week.

Any thoughts on how to treat these two sessions? Balls to the wall volume with utter destruction of the CNS to recover for a week, or just treat it like a normal lifting day?
I have no science behind this, but if you are injury free, go balls to the wall then enjoy the road trip and don't worry about lifting. That first session back you'll feel super fresh and will be breathing fire. Have fun!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have no science behind this, but if you are injury free, go balls to the wall then enjoy the road trip and don't worry about lifting. That first session back you'll feel super fresh and will be breathing fire. Have fun!
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I might test heavy numbers then rep out till I need a wheelchair to leave the gym