Unanswered Knee pain what alternatives could help?

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Currently experiencing a lot of pain under my knee cap and around when I walk/run up/down stairs. The military has terrible medical support/help so not much they gave me to do except stretch and ibuprofen. I have not been able to work legs due to this problem and was told strengthening my quads would help this pain out but I’m not sure how to do that without hurting it more (also have not tired to work it out) any tips or workouts to help with this? Would just sticking to light weight and a slow build help this or make it worse?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Work legs but use weight that allows you to do 3 second negatives and only take 1 minute rest periods. The increased density will force you to use lighter weight along with the eccentric focused sets. You’ll also get one hell of a leg workout. This fixed some major knee issues I had. Also get curcumin and start supplementing with that

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Work legs but use weight that allows you to do 3 second negatives and only take 1 minute rest periods. The increased density will force you to use lighter weight along with the eccentric focused sets. You’ll also get one hell of a leg workout. This fixed some major knee issues I had. Also get curcumin and start supplementing with that
3-5 sets and I guess 3-4 workouts or until I feel the pain again haha. I’ve heard rock tape or something helps as well as a heating brace? Think it’s a waste of money/ time? Also what’s curcumin?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My knee started to hurt for some stupid reason a few weeks ago, can’t squat deep enough so that’s out but been using the trap bar for deadlifts, I don’t have to go so deep but can still load up enough weight to get a good workout. Good mornings have worked well without hurting the knee.

Some balance work could be good also to strengthen the small muscles around the knee.

Good luck

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Proper squat form is necessary to take stress of the knee and focus it on the hips glutes n hams. Quads develop as a seco dary result. Hams and calves are what keeps your knees intact.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have one bad knee, but honestly, squatting deep actually helps it. Just have to find the right form to be able to do this comfortably. Everyone's hips are different, and effect this. For me, going with a slightly wide stance, toes out, allows me to go ass to grass all the time even though I have a bad knee, and even aids in stability.

I also use SlingShot neoprene knee sleeves (not wraps, as these can cause further damage). The knee sleeves act to heavily warm up the area. I never have pain while wearing them!

But yes, it's a total myth that squatting deep is bad for your knees. It's definitely helped me.

Contrary to popular belief, squatting deep is not bad for the knees -- studies have found there is no difference between partial, parallel and deep squats in terms of the impact on the front knee joint. In fact, deep squats might actually increase knee stability.