James Toney to be stripped of his title because of positive steroid test

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
One of my favorite boxers, James 'Lights Out' Toney, has his title and career on the line because of a positive result on a test for anabolics after his recent victory over Ruiz. If you saw the bout, it sure didn't look like he was juiced... but it did look like he was eating large quantities of well... everything.

From: http://www.maxboxing.com/News/ToneyBrief_051005.asp

According to a report by Wally Matthews in New York Newsday, WBA heavyweight champion James Toney tested positive for an anabolic steroid after his April 30 bout with John Ruiz, placing his newly won crown in jeopardy. According to the report by Matthews, the substance Toney tested positive for was nandrolone, which can boost muscle growth and increase strength. But strangely enough, the BBC reported in 1999 that "the body may naturally create a form of nandrolone, particularly if the subject has eaten large quantities of meat contaminated with the substance. It is also possible that dietary supplements taken perfectly legally by some athletes are broken down by the body to produce the same substances created when nandrolone is broken down."

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i would put this in the news forum, more a news type thing

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
You got to be a complete moron to take nandrolone and hope you don't piss hot. Whoever was advising him is a total moron. But how come this isn't on ESPN or any media as they love to vilify steroids and I can't see them passing up the chance.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
You got to be a complete moron to take nandrolone and hope you don't piss hot. Whoever was advising him is a total moron. But how come this isn't on ESPN or any media as they love to vilify steroids and I can't see them passing up the chance.
I believe the story broke last night; it is on all of the major boxing sites now. Rumors have been going around--- but it is a pretty strong rumor to bring John Ruiz out of retirement. If Toney is stripped of the title, Ruiz would automatically get it.. unless he were retired.

So what are the opinions on if this could be a false positive? It looked like he was on a cycle of Krispy Kreme not nandrolone .

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It looked like he was on a cycle of Krispy Kreme not nandrolone .
LMAO he was looking like a retired offensive lineman to me, just like Riddick Bowe in his last fight.