Is this possible? The engine weighs about 380lbs.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall lifting and walking a distance with a bare iron block 454, weighed 200lbs, and it was hard because of the uneven balance and lack of handholds compared to a barbell. This seems impossible to me. Anyone done similar? Not that I would recommend it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd say, yeah it's Possible....
I had a mechanic years ago who regularly pulled 4 cylinders out by hand.
I don't know if he ever pulled a 6 cylinder out or not, but I believe he could have.
He was a Giant.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably possible cause some people are freakishly strong. Does seem weird though that he’s standing that straight. Usually you would have to lean back to with a lot of weight to keep it from pulling you over. I do construction/demolition and have lifted some pretty heavy stuff. Usually when it’s a real strain you are arched backwards to keep you from pulling it over. I used to deadlift in the low mid 600s. I know I couldn’t pick up something that heavy/awkward of the ground and carry it. Have probably lifted that amount to get a of wood under so the skid loader could grab it. Or to **** it or turn it over. But yeah I could carry something that awkward that weighs 380lbs.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ment I could not carry something that heavy.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was doing deadlifts today and thought of this photo and realized it is not healthy to turn one's head while deadlifting. The fellow in the photo is turning his head.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Upper body looks much larger than legs.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I believe that a 380 pound engine could be carried like that, but I don’t believe that it could be lifted into the engine bay and properly seated on the mounts by one guy. I changed motor mounts in a car when I was younger, my back and hamstrings were F’d after a little bit of time bent over into the engine bay just turning a wrench. This would be like a reverse 380lb deadlift with arms nearly fully extended - why would anyone ever do that?