Unanswered Is Doing Insanity 3x a Day a Bad Thing?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying Shaun T's famous Insanity program, as well as the Max 30 and Insanity Asylum.

Beyond simple cardio, it also has some strength, flexibility and variety.

I was thinking of doing it morning, at lunch, and dinner.

Coupled with a 2000 calorie a day diet of mostly lean proteins and starches, I think this will trim me down well.

1. Is there any way this can go wrong?

(With any workout, I know the body can adapt and it will lose effectiveness. But, I think Insanity has enough variety to keep people guessing).

2. Because I am probably 30% bodyfat, aerobic exercise will make the body using stored fat, and I will not lose muscle or energy in a caloric deficit.

But, when should I worry?

From reading Tom Venuto "Burn the Fat", it seems that giving extra starches every fourth day may be a good idea, when I notice my muscle mass, strength, or energy levels declining. That will probably not happen until around 10% bodyfat.

3. Anything else I should think of?

Bignick31985

Awards
How much are you trying to lose?

When I was beginning to 'unfatten' myself I simply jogged once a day, rain or shine, until I became lighter and could do P90x style workouts.

Then just did one per day. I am by no means an expert but I think you'd burn out pretty quick and/or feel like crap pretty fast. That's three pretty intense sessions per day and you'll be eating less.

Honestly with a reduced calorie diet and one session per day you'd see results. The food/diet portion is/was key for myself.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I am very sensitive to calorie deprivation. I lose energy if I do not eat carbohydrates every 2 hours or so. In reality, I will probably consume more than 2000 calories per day.

But, 3x a day of Insanity or something like it, abstaining from alcohol, and trying to cut down on what you eat is probably the best way to lean out. I cannot think of what is a better idea at this specific stage.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is your height and weight? Are you just starting to workout or have you already been doing something else?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seems not worth it to me. Mostly just doesn’t seem sustainable or that you’d be able to transition to something else efficiently.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree. I am very sensitive to calorie deprivation. I lose energy if I do not eat carbohydrates every 2 hours or so. In reality, I will probably consume more than 2000 calories per day.

But, 3x a day of Insanity or something like it, abstaining from alcohol, and trying to cut down on what you eat is probably the best way to lean out. I cannot think of what is a better idea at this specific stage.
As I do in every thread like this, may I recommend a water fast? Numerous health benefits aside from drastic healthy weight loss. I know you mentioned the energy issue, but I promise you that once you make it 2-3 days you will feel incredible. Water fasting has been such a life changing experience for me that I feel the need to raise awareness whenever possible haha

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seems not worth it to me. Mostly just doesn’t seem sustainable or that you’d be able to transition to something else efficiently.
Completely agree. Seems like something you might try for one day, but not as an ongoing thing.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you not work? How the hell you gonna have time to do that 3 times a day, every day? Seems like a waste of time to me. I think there’s much better ways to go about this.

Superload

Superload

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying Shaun T's famous Insanity program, as well as the Max 30 and Insanity Asylum.

Beyond simple cardio, it also has some strength, flexibility and variety.

I was thinking of doing it morning, at lunch, and dinner.

Coupled with a 2000 calorie a day diet of mostly lean proteins and starches, I think this will trim me down well.

1. Is there any way this can go wrong?

(With any workout, I know the body can adapt and it will lose effectiveness. But, I think Insanity has enough variety to keep people guessing).

2. Because I am probably 30% bodyfat, aerobic exercise will make the body using stored fat, and I will not lose muscle or energy in a caloric deficit.

But, when should I worry?

From reading Tom Venuto "Burn the Fat", it seems that giving extra starches every fourth day may be a good idea, when I notice my muscle mass, strength, or energy levels declining. That will probably not happen until around 10% bodyfat.

3. Anything else I should think of?
Do the program like its ment to be run if you really want to....dont go thinking you'll be able to do it 3 times a day. I've done it In the past and if you do it right the one or 2 sessions a day it gives you is more than plenty. Be forewarned tho, if your thinking it will get you big AND cut your going to be disappointed. It's great to burn calories but sucks if you want more muscle... the high amounts of cardio and body weight movements wont help you to develop much besides that stringy skinny fat look that every one of the people doing it in the videos looks like... if anything add weight training as an extra session and start small and work up your volume otherwise your joints and muscles will say **** you and you'll find yourself waiting after a week...

Superload

Superload

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Do the program like its ment to be run if you really want to....dont go thinking you'll be able to do it 3 times a day. I've done it In the past and if you do it right the one or 2 sessions a day it gives you is more than plenty. Be forewarned tho, if your thinking it will get you big AND cut your going to be disappointed. It's great to burn calories but sucks if you want more muscle... the high amounts of cardio and body weight movements wont help you to develop much besides that stringy skinny fat look that every one of the people doing it in the videos looks like... if anything add weight training as an extra session and start small and work up your volume otherwise your joints and muscles will say **** you and you'll find yourself waiting after a week...
Waiting=quiting*

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I am 34 years old, 174 cm (about 5'8.5") and 85 kilograms (187 lbs). At the pessimistic level, about 30% bodyfat.

I have been exercising seriously for 20 years. I did weight lifting seriously for about 10 years. However, the last two years I have had zero time due to working three jobs.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
To answer everyone else's questions:

1. "Do you not work?"

I have been working three jobs for the past 12 months. Hence no time to exercise.

Yet, now we have finished our sessions, so I have a few weeks off.

Still, if someone does an exercise video at home, in the morning, before they shower; then, at lunch break at a gym nearby; then, at night when they get home, the total time is only 2 hours a day. Again, I will be on a low period in Shanghai.

2. "The Insanity People are stringy, skinny fat".

I do not think so. They just look tone to me.

I can cut down to under 8% bodyfat, probably in 12-15 weeks, then do only heavy weight training, bodyweight finishers, no extra cardio and a 20 calories per pound of lean bodyweight in a 40-30-30 mix.

I once had more muscle strength and size. Couple that with how detrained I am, and I can do this level of exercise and not overtrain. I agree, once I go from beginner level of fitness to intermediate, modifications must be made.

3. "There are more efficient ways of doing things"

I know it is human nature to find more efficient ways of getting what you want. I am guilty of trying to outsmart the system and jumping ship many times.

But, I can at least try my Insanity 3x a day and see what happens. Unlike running 3x a day, every day, then it will not lose muscle drastically like a Holocaust survivor or ultra-marathon runner.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It all depends. If you are doing too much it will negatively effect you. If you you can recover from it efficiently, then it will probably assist with you burning a ton of cals. Really depends on a lot of things. Give it a shot for a week or so and see, but listen to your body. You may also find doing blasts in waves may be effective and give you enough time to recover. For instance do a week or so with multiple sessions and then back off that style of training all together for a week or two. Then repeat. To me I would rather hit it hard once a day in the weight room 4x a week and hit some liss cardio once a day. Then the rest is just diet, but that’s just my preference.