Unanswered Is an Ultra Heavy Weighted Vest a Good Idea?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Would buying a 100+ pound weighted vest and going walking, sprinting, etc. be a good idea?

Some people say it is bad for the knees. Others say it would be a great way to rev up the metabolism.

Any research to prove these ideas?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m unaware of (doesn’t mean it’s not out there) of weight vest studies with that much.

Typically they use 10% of bodyweight, though I’ve seen a bit more in some studies.

There is good evidence that weighted vest work can be beneficial, but the general rule is to start small and then add as you get used to it, because as you alluded to it can be tough on the joints (especially running, jumping, etc).

Now a very heavy vest like that may be fine for adding as supplemental work on things like bodyweight exercises and I have found especially useful for single leg work, where holding weights can limit the amount of work (for example wear a heavy vest and hold 15lbs dumbbells rather than hold 50+lbs where grip could be a limiter).

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I think the heaviest vests go up to 150 pounds. Although weighted vests do not distribute weight perfectly evenly, I think it would be much preferable than using dumbbells or the barbell.

I wonder how many extra calories that would burn? My guess is walking around town with it all day would be equivalent to some hard core hiking.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think the heaviest vests go up to 150 pounds. Although weighted vests do not distribute weight perfectly evenly, I think it would be much preferable than using dumbbells or the barbell.

I wonder how many extra calories that would burn? My guess is walking around town with it all day would be equivalent to some hard core hiking.
I’ll be honest part of answering this was because interest to this idea had spiked with one of James Krieger’s most recent articles. It looked at a case study of a guy in contest prep losing weight and keeping calories up by progressively adding small weight vest additions as his weight went down.

You could use the ACSM formulas to estimate the amount of work (stolen from article mentioned abound): https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/formulas-metabolic-calculations-acsm-equations-walking-19-37-mph-gross-vo2-mlkg-min-x-01-x-q19140036

I don’t think you’d need a super heavy vest at first for what you are suggesting either.

I think rucking/hiking/weighted walking are great alternative forms of cardio for some.

It worked for Goku... 🤷‍♂️
How did I forget. This answers it close the thread now haha

Brutefit

Brutefit

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Why go fancy, there are plenty of other ways, why don't you workout at the gym little longer? Can't it be sufficient?
Considering potential injuries spine, angles, and kneed I'd personally stay away from it.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would advice not to run or sprint with a heavy vest like that. I had a weight vest (20-40lb) and did hill sprints, up hill was ok but down hill was too much for my back, I fucked up my back bad, gave away the vest after that.

For walking and other body weight exercises it’s probably good but be careful with fast movements.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wouldn’t use it for running. It will change your form too much, I’d guess.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it’s just another tool. For things like squats variations, pull ups, dips, pushups etc of would probably be pretty effective, or at least more convenient. For running I would probably take caution in regards to your joints and back like mentioned above, but if it challenges you and it works to help you meet your goals then why not. Reminds me of a few weekends ago I was doing 40m sprints with my kids and the young one got upset because she lost. So I grabbed her up and did the sprints holding her lol. She’s 65+ lbs. I can tell you this, it was one hell of a workout. But for me I prioritize intensity in the gym, so cardio for me is usually liss.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I doubt I would run with 150 pound vest.

That would be just too hard, except maybe on the sand on the beach! Imagine the caloric burn of both running on the beach and with 150 pounds added; probably over 1500 calories an hour, with no damage to the knees.

Rather, I think it would be used for walking. Imagine walking around town with 150 pound vest! It would be a great way to burn calories and build strength.

As for getting cardiovascular capacity, nothing beats shuttle runs, wind sprints, etc.

I myself am trying to wean off the long and slow cardio routine. It just seems to wear me down.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are trying to emulate hiking with gear or something to that effect.

I just would tread carefully because of you have any posture issues I imagine it could exacerbate them.

Like anything you could find good uses I’m sure.