I need help: Arm Symmetry Problem...

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Here's the dilemma...

I'm right handed, thus my right arm is bigger than my left arm. I've heard various things regarding the subject, but i've never really tried any. Some say that the right arm has better control, so when flexed you're able to recruit more muscle fibers, thus making the arm looking bigger. Others say that the arm is just downright smaller than the other. They measure the same cold, but based on the 'muscle control' theory i don't really compare the numbers when flexed.

Anybody else been able to overcome this problem? If so tell me how....

Thanks bros...

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I have and have seen several people over come it. To do so, avoid barbell exercises for awhile. Limit the amount of help the inferior arm can get. Stick with dumbell curls, single arm rope curls, etc. Isolation exercises are the key. Make sure you're *flexing* your bicep at all times to stimulate deep and superficial muscle fibers.

When you use a barbell to do bicep curls, when your left arm tires out (because you're right handed, you use your right hand to pick up, carry things, etc. so your left arm naturally lacks) so when the left arm is tired, your right arm assumes the load on barbell curls, thus making the big get bigger and the small get smaller. Use dumbells and force your other arm to catch up. Same with a lagging, uneven chest, switch to more dumbell work.

Some myths to solve this problem are:

Load up more weight on the weaker side to make it work harder to catch up. Oh god, muscle fiber suicide.

Do more reps with the opposite arm- False. You can add isolation curls (elbow on your knee) but I dont think this will solve the problem. Usually easy to overtrain a weaker muscle.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I have and have seen several people over come it. To do so, avoid barbell exercises for awhile. Limit the amount of help the inferior arm can get. Stick with dumbell curls, single arm rope curls, etc. Isolation exercises are the key. Make sure you're *flexing* your bicep at all times to stimulate deep and superficial muscle fibers.

When you use a barbell to do bicep curls, when your left arm tires out (because you're right handed, you use your right hand to pick up, carry things, etc. so your left arm naturally lacks) so when the left arm is tired, your right arm assumes the load on barbell curls, thus making the big get bigger and the small get smaller. Use dumbells and force your other arm to catch up. Same with a lagging, uneven chest, switch to more dumbell work.

Some myths to solve this problem are:

Load up more weight on the weaker side to make it work harder to catch up. Oh god, muscle fiber suicide.

Do more reps with the opposite arm- False. You can add isolation curls (elbow on your knee) but I dont think this will solve the problem. Usually easy to overtrain a weaker muscle.

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, strength isn't an issue with the left arm. It fatigues at around the same time the right arm does, and actually, sometimes when I'm doing alternate curls the left arm can perform more reps! What i'm really trying to fix is the size issue. I'll take your advice though, and I'll see what happens.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
You could also post your routein for bi's if you'd like further critique, etc.