booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For about the last 6 weeks I ahve had pretty nasty forearm pain in my left arm (right handed). The most painful things are gripping/making a fist and straightening the arm after sitting/standing with it bent (such as at my computer desk (standing) or couch (armrest)). It does not hurt all the time, but only when doing these motions.

Pain is at the top of the forearm, near - but not at - the elbow, about 2 fingerwidths down from the join (1-2" or so). Its a fairly sharp pain, that if stressed for a bit can become more dull/achy.

I have had quite a few forearm tendon issues over the last year in both arms, but this particular pain is new (location/length of time). All healed perfectly after some rehab exercises and some with the addition of BPC-157. I have run 4 weeks of BPC as well as been doing standard twisting, gripping type exercises to try to improve it but to no avail. Doing nothing (taking days+ off of anyhting that hurts) has also not seemed to make it any better, and may actually have made it worse intially after. Oddly enough, it does seem to feel a bit better (for a few hours) after some exercises with moderate pain. I have also been wearing a tennis elbox "band" the whole time to try to help, but it only seems to help a tiny bit, and obviously only while wearing.

I've been looking around for what it could be, and 90% of the info points to "tennis elbow", however I'm not sure that's it as the descriptions and exercises don't seem to target this area, as well as it is not truly what I would consider an "elbow area" pain, more just upper forearm.

Any thoughts, advice, amateur diagnoses, tips, or insults are all appreciated as it has really become a downer as only pressing movements and legs are pain free at this point, making my workouts quite boring/frustrating.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For about the last 6 weeks I ahve had pretty nasty forearm pain in my left arm (right handed). The most painful things are gripping/making a fist and straightening the arm after sitting/standing with it bent (such as at my computer desk (standing) or couch (armrest)). It does not hurt all the time, but only when doing these motions.

Pain is at the top of the forearm, near - but not at - the elbow, about 2 fingerwidths down from the join (1-2" or so). Its a fairly sharp pain, that if stressed for a bit can become more dull/achy.

I have had quite a few forearm tendon issues over the last year in both arms, but this particular pain is new (location/length of time). All healed perfectly after some rehab exercises and some with the addition of BPC-157. I have run 4 weeks of BPC as well as been doing standard twisting, gripping type exercises to try to improve it but to no avail. Doing nothing (taking days+ off of anyhting that hurts) has also not seemed to make it any better, and may actually have made it worse intially after. Oddly enough, it does seem to feel a bit better (for a few hours) after some exercises with moderate pain. I have also been wearing a tennis elbox "band" the whole time to try to help, but it only seems to help a tiny bit, and obviously only while wearing.

I've been looking around for what it could be, and 90% of the info points to "tennis elbow", however I'm not sure that's it as the descriptions and exercises don't seem to target this area, as well as it is not truly what I would consider an "elbow area" pain, more just upper forearm.

Any thoughts, advice, amateur diagnoses, tips, or insults are all appreciated as it has really become a downer as only pressing movements and legs are pain free at this point, making my workouts quite boring/frustrating.

When I had mine, the pain was down 1 1/2 - 2" from the elbow.
It sucks. Usage usually makes it worse/drags out the issue.

If you haven't tried Helios, you could give it a shot. It helps a Lot of guys with inflammation issues (which can also cause pain).

Fly_boy

Fly_boy

Awards
I think I’ve had a similar issue especially when I curl straight or ez bar. Switching to dumbbells only really helped.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think I’ve had a similar issue especially when I curl straight or ez bar. Switching to dumbbells only really helped.
I had something like this many years ago from bb curls as well. Not the same as my current pain but I had to cut most bi work out for quite awhile to heal it (which was ok for me since thats a natural srtong point)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When I had mine, the pain was down 1 1/2 - 2" from the elbow.
It sucks. Usage usually makes it worse/drags out the issue.

If you haven't tried Helios, you could give it a shot. It helps a Lot of guys with inflammation issues (which can also cause pain).
I do know its not general inflammation as I have a few supports already for that on top of the normal fish oil and such. Unfortunately just cannot figure out why I keep having misc forearm issues in each arm, different places, diff times. super annoying

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do know its not general inflammation as I have a few supports already for that on top of the normal fish oil and such. Unfortunately just cannot figure out why I keep having misc forearm issues in each arm, different places, diff times. super annoying
i highly recommend you try voltaren gel!!!

it's more economical to buy the large tube for around $20 but start with the smaller tube $10----$10 is a very small investment, and voltaren gel really works well for me.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i highly recommend you try voltaren gel!!!

it's more economical to buy the large tube for around $20 but start with the smaller tube $10----$10 is a very small investment, and voltaren gel really works well for me.
Isn't that more for joint pain/arthritis? How do you see that helping in this regard outside of the obvious anti-inflam properties taking some of the acute pain away?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Isn't that more for joint pain/arthritis? How do you see that helping in this regard outside of the obvious anti-inflam properties taking some of the acute pain away?
try it and see...$10 isn't that big of a investment when you are looking for something to help with pain-eh?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So do you think it’s more muscular or tendon? I have a good bit of issues with my forearms/hands but they’re muscular. So I have suggestions for that but if you feel it’s more tendon related, I don’t want to lead you wrong.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
dont you just need to work your forearm extensors more to avoid this? do more reverse grip / forearm extensions

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So do you think it’s more muscular or tendon? I have a good bit of issues with my forearms/hands but they’re muscular. So I have suggestions for that but if you feel it’s more tendon related, I don’t want to lead you wrong.
At this point I'm uncertain of anything related to it since it hasn't reacted to any of the treatments or things that have worked for me in the past. Totally open to any and all suggestions! (thus the awkwardly vague question haha)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
dont you just need to work your forearm extensors more to avoid this? do more reverse grip / forearm extensions
Thats one of the things I've been trying but doesnt seem to have helped thus far... I have a flexbar (rubbery bar you twist/bend) as well as have been doing some direct forearm work (trying to keep the pain level reasonable though so as not to exacerbate whatever the injury might be while still getting it some work to hopefully help).

Outside of just the basic stetches/wrist curl type movements, any recommendations?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thats one of the things I've been trying but doesnt seem to have helped thus far... I have a flexbar (rubbery bar you twist/bend) as well as have been doing some direct forearm work (trying to keep the pain level reasonable though so as not to exacerbate whatever the injury might be while still getting it some work to hopefully help).

Outside of just the basic stetches/wrist curl type movements, any recommendations?
for iso extension i just rest my forearms on flat bench and do forearm extensions mostly. There is an extensor muscle in the forearm that most people dont work though, the finger extensors. I got two of these so I could work on them a bit

but that muscle is closer to the wrist so i think you might just need to focus wrist extension

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
At this point I'm uncertain of anything related to it since it hasn't reacted to any of the treatments or things that have worked for me in the past. Totally open to any and all suggestions! (thus the awkwardly vague question haha)
Well my guess, after reading and re-reading your post, it sounds muscular. Like I said, this is completely a guess. I would use a lacrosse ball to massage and manipulate the surrounding muscles including your shoulder, bicep, tricep, and all around your forearm. I have the most luck doing my forearm up against a wall. The Voltaren gel that thebigT suggested would be a good add while your massaging.

Here is also a video with some other ideas on what else could be the cause. Just in case you haven’t watched it already.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well my guess, after reading and re-reading your post, it sounds muscular. Like I said, this is completely a guess. I would use a lacrosse ball to massage and manipulate the surrounding muscles including your shoulder, bicep, tricep, and all around your forearm. I have the most luck doing my forearm up against a wall. The Voltaren gel that thebigT suggested would be a good add while your massaging.

Here is also a video with some other ideas on what else could be the cause. Just in case you haven’t watched it already.

Thanks to both of you guys! I'm gonna try it all since everything is cheap and easy to get ha... anything that helps will help my brain at this point.

One thing that did seem to help (like kat mentioned) was 2 days ago I used a fascia release tool my wife has and scrubbed the hell out of it... most of the day yesterday it actually felt pretty good so I will def. continue with that/lacrosse ball/etc.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

voltaren gel is good stuff.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I had forearm pain a few years ago to include pain down towards the pinky finger I had to knockoff for any weights for a month and use Cissus and that helped. Cissus made me nauseous as well. I had tennis elbow at that time. Golfer's elbow is the opposite side.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When I had forearm pain a few years ago to include pain down towards the pinky finger I had to knockoff for any weights for a month and use Cissus and that helped. Cissus made me nauseous as well. I had tennis elbow at that time. Golfer's elbow is the opposite side.
Yep I had the golfer's elbow at one point earlier this year and was able ot heal that with standard rehab/limited use and BPC-157 in about 6 weeks (had for about 4 weeks prior to that).

Already taking cissus and some joint supports.

Starting the Voltaren today (my wife who is a nurse said she thinks thats a great idea too @thebigt. they use it in the hospital all the time too)

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also wore that brace which is fitted just below the elbow.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I also wore that brace which is fitted just below the elbow.
same here. for the golfer's elbow it def helped having it really close to the elbow but I've found for this current issue that it seems to work better for me a bit lower and not right at the pain spot. I have to keep it super tight tho cuz the one I have is a bit "gel-y" so it's not as sharp of pressure.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yep I had the golfer's elbow at one point earlier this year and was able ot heal that with standard rehab/limited use and BPC-157 in about 6 weeks (had for about 4 weeks prior to that).

Already taking cissus and some joint supports.

Starting the Voltaren today (my wife who is a nurse said she thinks thats a great idea too @thebigt. they use it in the hospital all the time too)
voltaren gel was prescription only until around a year ago...it was 1st prescribed to me by orthopedic surgery to get me by until i got my knee replacement done-this turned out to be several years, don't think i could have made it without the voltaren gel--for me it was a godsend!!!

like i said the small tube is around $10 definately worth a try!!!!