Floor press?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What grip do you guys use when floor pressing, close grip or regular bench grip?

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
I personally use a more narrow grip...not too close but slightly more close together than a regular bench and slightly wider than a traditional close grip. I think it’s good to have a somewhat closer grip on them. I’m really trying to build tricep strength more than anything when I do them.
But that’s just me. I’m just a weightlifting bro, and that’s my bro science. Maybe some more serious powerlifting bros can offer a better way??

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I prefer on the narrower side.

Mostly because of utilizing a much fuller range of motion, but also because I’m not a huge fan of pushing my shoulder under load while the moment of my arm is extended.

Wide-grip bench is not an ideal nor physically advantageous movement under heavy load (light load for joint strengthening and hypertrophy is a different story).

Just my $0.02

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for the reply guys.

My regular bench grip is probably closer than most (wide grip hurts my shoulders) and since I want to get stronger in my bench I have been using the same grip for my floor press, I just wasn’t sure what’s the most “optimal” grip for floor press or if it’s matters much?

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply guys.

My regular bench grip is probably closer than most (wide grip hurts my shoulders) and since I want to get stronger in my bench I have been using the same grip for my floor press, I just wasn’t sure what’s the most “optimal” grip for floor press or if it’s matters much?
I’m in the same boat bro...I’ve been focusing on getting my bench up to par with my other lifts. I’m deadlifting 585, squatting 435 and my max bench is 315. So I just started prioritizing bench. My grip is my pinkies are on the rings...at the widest. I feel more comfortable with a closer grip. I shattered my collarbone shitfaced years ago so I rely a lot on my triceps! Lol. I do 2 push days a week..one is heavy singles...the other is overhead press with volume work on the bench...it’s def working! In my experience man, just keep benching and get yourself comfortable under that bar!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m in the same boat bro...I’ve been focusing on getting my bench up to par with my other lifts. I’m deadlifting 585, squatting 435 and my max bench is 315. So I just started prioritizing bench. My grip is my pinkies are on the rings...at the widest. I feel more comfortable with a closer grip. I shattered my collarbone shitfaced years ago so I rely a lot on my triceps! Lol. I do 2 push days a week..one is heavy singles...the other is overhead press with volume work on the bench...it’s def working! In my experience man, just keep benching and get yourself comfortable under that bar!
My grip is almost the same, I’m slightly inside of the rings and that feels so much better on my shoulders than a wide grip, I’m 6’1 if that matters? Wow, you’re strong in your legs! I’m at 500 on deads and 365 on squats but I bench 385, trying to break 400, it’s close but I’m not confident in making yet, in a few weeks I will try.

I have been benching 2-3x weeks for the last 3 months but felt my other lifts got side tracked so now I do a modified 5/3/1, I’m doing incline bench with OHP and floor press or close grip on my bench day. Trying to figure out what I can do to be able to handle more weight, maybe bringing up my OHP will help?

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
My grip is almost the same, I’m slightly inside of the rings and that feels so much better on my shoulders than a wide grip, I’m 6’1 if that matters? Wow, you’re strong in your legs! I’m at 500 on deads and 365 on squats but I bench 385, trying to break 400, it’s close but I’m not confident in making yet, in a few weeks I will try.

I have been benching 2-3x weeks for the last 3 months but felt my other lifts got side tracked so now I do a modified 5/3/1, I’m doing incline bench with OHP and floor press or close grip on my bench day. Trying to figure out what I can do to be able to handle more weight, maybe bringing up my OHP will help?
Damn bro that’s a beastly bench! I got obsessed with deadlifts and squats for awhile, and still am, but just recently started prioritizing bench, because who doesn’t want a big bench?
What I’m doing is 2 push days. One is heavy singles, doubles, triples on bench, with either weighted dips/close grip bench/floor press and a lot of tricep work...and the other is an overhead press day more shoulder focused but I put in volume work on the regular bench....dumbbells as well. It’s definitely working. I would definitely have a day where OHP is your main lift, I was watching some Dan Green videos and he does a shoulder focused workout. And he knows a thing or 2. Lol

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dang big numbers all around!

I’m built like a pterodactyl with incredibly long arms. Once I start my SARM cycle I’ll be hitting chest dev hard.

Pushups, bench, db bench, etc etc. It’s really hard once you get an injury though. Be careful out there!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 4
fuseven Training Forum 8
zconners Training Forum 3
dds Training Forum 22
Training Forum 20