Fish Oil in 2023

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So wanted to start a thread on fish oil. Not your basic which one to recommend. But discussion in general. There is so much back in forth on whether or not even quality brands are good oil or have gone rancid. Outside of heavy metals, toxins, etc it seems pretty unfeasible for any company to keep the fish oil fresh from catch, to processing, to shipping, to store shelves. Even if it’s refrigerated in stores. AvailOM Seems promising because they have made a stable product in powder form.

But on top of that, dha was always supposed to be the best part but now some studies show epa is actually the beneficial component and dha is detrimental. So much to keep up with so wanted y’all’s opinions.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've suspected that there are instances where the fish oil has turned rancid which is why I would not buy anything with a past good date.

Then there is the point counter point about clear versus dark containers providing some benefit where dark ones are better to prevent degradation. Thoughts?

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've suspected that there are instances where the fish oil has turned rancid which is why I would not buy anything with a past good date.

Then there is the point counter point about clear versus dark containers providing some benefit where dark ones are better to prevent degradation. Thoughts?
Dark bottles are definitely better from what I have read. Uv light can increase oxidation. This goes for olive oil and things like that a walk

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would krill oil have a better resistance to turning rancid ?

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I put my bottle of fish oil in the fridge after I open it. Then it's protected from light and heat. I have poked open a few gel caps from time to time to make sure It doesn't smell like it when rancid
Ummm… hate to break it to ya but there is a light in the fridge. You silly goose.
🤣

Reactions: BJT
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm 99.9% sure your joking. But just for a piece of mind lol

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've always stored my Omegas and D-vit in the fridge and favor products, that have a dark or non transparent bottle for all oils.

I remember talks, that you can usually taste it by the burps coming after ingesting omega oil, it has gone rancid. I think I've had that happen with a product or two some years ago. I don't know how valid that theory is though.

Last edited:
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37