Fish oil alternative.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
No matter what fish oil I try it seems to upset my stomach. I’ve tried all brands. Recently saw something on algae, plant source of oil and its easier on stomach? Can someone provide advice on something that would be easier to absorb on stomach that contains a good amount of oil. Thanks.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Chai oil

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm guessing your probably referring to spirulina. 7gs have about a gram of fats BUT if you're thinking about powder, know this stuff tastes like dirt or earth and does not mix well alone. I use wafer paper now, just a heads up.

Edit Remembered and double checked and Chlorella is higher in omegas in comparison but I don't have any experience

Last edited:
Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ahh the midnight oil ?

But seriously have you tried the fish oil with the “burp less coating” ?

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
cod liver or halibut liver oil are VERY good

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use Now Super Omega 3-6-9. It has:

Supplement Facts
Supplement Facts:

Serving Size 2 Softgels
Servings Per Container 90

Amount Per Serving:
Calories 25
Calories from Fat 20
Total Fat 2.4 g 4%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Protein 0.6 g
Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopherol with mixed tocopherols) 20 IU 70%
Borage Oil (Borago officinalis)(Seed) 800 mg
Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 800 mg
Organic Flaxseed Oil(Linum isitatissimum)(Seed) 800 mg

Other Ingredients:
Softgel Capsule (gelatin, glycerin, water).
Although it does have fish in it. If you're having a problem with fish burps, try putting your fish oil in the freezer and swallowing them frozen. You can also take some sodium bicarbonate after you take it to help reduce the acid in your stomach.

Last edited by a moderator:
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried krill oil?
Dont know any vegan options
This is what I was going to recommend. Krill oil might be a good one to look into.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No matter what fish oil I try it seems to upset my stomach. I’ve tried all brands. Recently saw something on algae, plant source of oil and its easier on stomach? Can someone provide advice on something that would be easier to absorb on stomach that contains a good amount of oil. Thanks.
Yeah, I've been taking Algal-900 DHA by Spring Valley (algae source; you can get it at Wal-Mart) and it's the only one that hasn't upset my stomach (and I've tried all the best/most expensive types of fish oil).

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
You could try accelon fish oil. I haven’t tried it yet but it’s supposed to be good for people who like to take fish oil on an empty stomach, and uses a microemulsion, which could be less disruptive. Still, taking it with some food would help further increase absorption and might ease discomfort.

Or, morphogen sells morphomega that has powdered fish oil that might be more tolerable.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
has you tried the IForce nutritions fish oil offering? its infused with mint so no burps or upset.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, I've been taking Algal-900 DHA by Spring Valley (algae source; you can get it at Wal-Mart) and it's the only one that hasn't upset my stomach (and I've tried all the best/most expensive types of fish oil).
You you tried NOW Supplements, Ultra Omega-3 Molecularly Distilled and Enteric Coated and putting them in the freezer before taking them? The molecular distillation breaks down the fish fats so they can be digested more easily and the enteric coating ensures they won't open in your esophagus

An enteric coating is a polymer barrier applied to oral medication that prevents its dissolution or disintegration in the gastric environment.[1] This helps by either protecting drugs from the acidity of the stomach, the stomach from the detrimental effects of the drug, or to release the drug after the stomach (usually in the upper tract of the intestine).[2] Some drugs are unstable at the pH of gastric acid and need to be protected from degradation. Enteric coating is also an effective method to obtain drug targeting (such as gastro-resistant drugs).

Most enteric coatings work by presenting a surface that is stable at the intensely acidic pH found in the stomach, but breaks down rapidly at a higher pH (alkaline pH). For example, they will not dissolve in the gastric acids of the stomach (pH ~3), but they will in the alkaline (pH 7–9) environment present in the small intestine.[4][5] The time required for an enteric-coated dosage form to reach the intestine mostly depends on the presence and type of food in the stomach. It varies from 30 minutes up to 7 hours, with an average time of 6 hours.[6] Although some studies indicated that larger sized dosage forms may require additional time for gastric emptying, others suggested that the size, shape, or volume of the tablet possess no significant effects instead.[7][8][9] Enteric coated granules emptying rate is, however, less affected by the presence of food and present the more uniform release and reproducible transit time typical of the multiparticulates dispersion.
More about Enteric Coating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_coating

-RONIN-

Awards
  • First Up Vote
This is what i do with Tongkat Ali. I buy empty enteric coated capsules and no GERD problems since then.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You you tried NOW Supplements, Ultra Omega-3 Molecularly Distilled and Enteric Coated and putting them in the freezer before taking them? The molecular distillation breaks down the fish fats so they can be digested more easily and the enteric coating ensures they won't open in your esophagus

More about Enteric Coating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_coating
Not that specific brand but have tried one that's molecularly distilled and enteric coated (my wife still takes it without issues). We always kept our fish oil in the freezer before taking them.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So this is not a snarky comment, although it might sound like it!

Can you just eat fat fish 2-3 times a week? Or does that do the same with your stomach?

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So this is not a snarky comment, although it might sound like it!

Can you just eat fat fish 2-3 times a week? Or does that do the same with your stomach?
I'm going off memory but believe it's like aa or creatine. You can get it all from natural sources but to get to dosing that most recommend as ideal you would have to eat quite a lot everyday or supplement some.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Herring, Atlantic, cooked, 3 ounces*0.940.77
Salmon, Atlantic, wild, cooked, 3 ounces1.220.35
Salmon, Atlantic, farmed cooked, 3 ounces1.240.59

Full chart about half way down the page. Looking at these you should be able to eat enough if you set out to do so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19