FDA Seizes Dietary Supplements Bearing Drug Claims

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
FDA Seizes Dietary Supplements Bearing Drug Claims

WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) - Acting on a request from the US Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) (FDA), US Marshals on Thursday seized 450 bottles and 57,000 bulk capsules of dietary supplements that made unapproved drug claims, the FDA said.

The bottles, which represented a total of about $19,000 worth of 20 different dietary supplements, were seized from Global Source Management and Consulting Inc., in Sunrise, Florida, according to the agency.

Federal law prohibits makers of dietary supplements from claiming that their products can cure, mitigate or treat diseases.

The FDA said the products were sold in retail booths and by mail under the names Vitamin Hut and RX for Health. The drug claims appeared on the labels and in promotional materials, according to the agency.

"FDA is absolutely committed to ferreting out and removing from the marketplace any products that make false and misleading claims," FDA Commissioner Dr. Mark B. McClellan said in a statement. "This is not only central to our public health mission of protecting consumers from unsafe products, but also to the agency's renewed efforts to help ensure that consumers and health professionals receive better information about the products FDA regulates."

According to the agency, it inspected more than 80 dietary supplement firms last year, several of which have since voluntarily corrected violations.

The FDA said it would continue to take enforcement actions against dietary supplement products that make disease claims on their labels.

** Interesting article. Did I miss what they seized or was it not listed? As far as the test in red, thats a total bullshit statement or Ripping Gel, Creatine Serum, and a few others wouldnt be on the market

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wish we could find out what it is so we can stock up on it before its too late :rolleyes:

shpongled

Awards
** Interesting article. Did I miss what they seized or was it not listed? As far as the test in red, thats a total bullshit statement or Ripping Gel, Creatine Serum, and a few others wouldnt be on the market
Totally. Add every Muscletech product to that list...

Quite intersting, though, that they may actually be doing something like this now. I'll feel safer at night knowing I'm not wasting my money on products that don't work.

David

p_zub

Awards
ITs about time they did this. ITs these companies that are going to bring down the rest of the industry and deprive people of the right to responsibly use dietary supplements.