Farm $hit

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Anyone come from a farm background?
We have a few acres my wife is slowly allowing us to actually use (LOL). With the whole world going crazy she's excited about tripling the size of our flock (ducks and chickens). I ordered an automatic door for the coop this morning so I'm sorta excited about getting that project going.

I'm NOT excited about raising another dozen chicks for 6 weeks in a messy situation until they can go outside, but once they're out they're pretty self sufficient.

My folks still raise beef. Tried to talk my wife into mini beef but she said they'd become pets so I can't slaughter them lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
good stuff!
My wife is thinking about making our own chicken food too. There has been a lot of talk online about chickens not laying well anymore on particular brands that may have changed (tinfoil hat time?) And we go through a ton of eggs which makes her a little paranoid about how easy it would be to get bad eggs or somehow contaminated food. Only challenge is I could likely never raise enough birds to be self sufficient entirely as we eat probably 1-2 chickens a week I bet lol. but the eggs are great spring-fall

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't for a second think the story about chicken feed is tinfoil theory. I have seen a dozen videos where as soon as the ranchers took their stock off the feed they start laying again.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't for a second think the story about chicken feed is tinfoil theory. I have seen a dozen videos where as soon as the ranchers took their stock off the feed they start laying again.
Couple of my friends in another group brought it up. being in the PNW I've never expected my flock to lay in the fall but all my friends said theirs always lay and stopped. so it's a little weird. I thought about adding light to my coop to see if I could stimulate egg laying or if it truly is the feed.

johnsar

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I just read compost is better than grain.

ReformedNerd

Awards
Goats are good fun and provide milk. I recommend Nigerian Dwarves (what we have). They have high butterfat content (makes the milk tastier) and are easier to manage due to their size.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Goats are good fun and provide milk. I recommend Nigerian Dwarves (what we have). They have high butterfat content (makes the milk tastier) and are easier to manage due to their size.
that's awesome. I've thought a lot about goats to fight blackberries etc. My folks have kept goats for years and they do a great job of keeping the fields clean and better for haying

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shoot if it was me and I had the land. I’d get a license to sell duck eggs and start getting a **** ton of ducks. Then start targeting Mike Ohearn and his crowd. We can have some sexy voiced actor telling about the process of the ducks being raised and how your eggs provide the protein to get them like Mike.
Not joking though that’s cool man. Wish I could get back to having land. Life has beaten me up man.