Essential Supplimentation

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering, in addition to a quality multivitamin, what other suppliments are considered "essential" for bodybuilding. I was thinking, in addition to a vitamin, that a fatty acid complex and maybe an amino acid complex would be essential. I would be great if we could use this thread as a central posting for what is essential for optimal body building.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Definitely! I think that would be very helpful.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Protein is a no brainer. All I use most of the time is a multivitamin and some protein powder to help increase my protein intake throughout the day and I've done fine with myself. I guess EFA's would be good too. Supplements aren't really essential IMO although they can help. You can either choose to "supplement" them into your diet or not. That doesn't mean I won't try new things.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yes, besides protien, and also, I am not talking about things that enhance workout (stims etc..) Just to let you all know

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
calcium, magnesium, bcaa's,creatine, raw eggs, hehe
2-3 grams vit C, lecithin
flaxseed all the time, cla, green tea
cleansing items such as clorophyl, hella fiber, waterX10 to the 23rd power :hammer:

gordongecko

Awards
Necessary Ancillary Supplementation

ALA
ALCAR
Fish Oil
Whole food source Liquid multiple vitamin
ZMA
Creatine
BCAA

Here is a link to a thread at Avant. I don't know if this is ok to do, it's good info initially and then it turns into aspirin blah blah blah.

http://www.avantlabs.com/main.php?pageID=97

Last edited:
Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Protein
BCAA
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Fish Oil, Flax oil
Multivitamin

Foster

Awards
I agree with T-Bone. Supplement implies supplemental which would mean by definition they are non-essential. You don't need any supplements at all. You can get all your nutrition from food although it is difficult with the declining nutritional quality of food.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
supplements arent essential for your average person, but for something living the bodybuilding life-style i think certain ones (that i posted) are. If i dont use EFA's my joints kill me (like right now lol). multi's and other vitamins i feel are essential for the immune system. Protein and BCAA's in my mind are the only objects on the list that could be seen as non-essential since body-builders from 30+ years ago didn't really have these and still looked great (in my opinion better than todays body builders).

Even if something happened and i could never body-build again, I wouldn't stop using protein,flax, fish oil or a multi. There are so many health benefits to these supplements (and green tea too) that it would be stupid NOT to use them.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ALA
ALCAR
Fish Oil
Whole food source Liquid multiple vitamin
ZMA
Creatine
BCAA
BUMP for the antioxidants, excessive training and heavy lifting increases free radicals, the antioxidants would be essential IMO...not really anything you could necessarily "feel" but it's doing you right on the inside ;)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Taking a good range of antioxidants and EFA's has helped my recovery time immensely. I wouldn't say it's essential for BBing but it certainly makes life easier. Humans can tough out just about any kind of deficiency but why do it when you don't have to?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
supplements arent essential for your average person, but for something living the bodybuilding life-style i think certain ones (that i posted) are. If i dont use EFA's my joints kill me (like right now lol). multi's and other vitamins i feel are essential for the immune system. Protein and BCAA's in my mind are the only objects on the list that could be seen as non-essential since body-builders from 30+ years ago didn't really have these and still looked great (in my opinion better than todays body builders).

Even if something happened and i could never body-build again, I wouldn't stop using protein,flax, fish oil or a multi. There are so many health benefits to these supplements (and green tea too) that it would be stupid NOT to use them.
Well your 19 years old. Supplement companies love your section of the population because thats who they make most of their money off of!.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a huge proponent of sesathin. It keeps you lean(er) when bulking, helps lose fat quicker when cutting, and has a multitude of other benefits as well. It's one I take year round, along with free form aminos around workouts, and creatine.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well your 19 years old. Supplement companies love your section of the population because thats who they make most of their money off of!.
I agree but what does that have to do with essential supplementation?

Grant

Awards
  • Established
A short list (Im tired):

Antioxidants- I use GXR for that and its other benifits
EFA's
Protien Powder
Multi Vitamin
Sesathin is very important IMHO also but it is not a thing I take everyday, more like a few times a week, depending on my training/eating

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm a huge proponent of sesathin. It keeps you lean(er) when bulking, helps lose fat quicker when cutting, and has a multitude of other benefits as well. It's one I take year round, along with free form aminos around workouts, and creatine.
Indeed.

And its also the aforementioned anti-oxidant, and a "good fat." Its also an anti-inflamatory, and helps other systems (like REDOX) as well.

Which is why, to me, it is an "essential" supplement, along with fish oil, and a multi-v.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another one I forgot to mention is glucosamine/chondritin. After 3-4 years now of lifting, and not always having utilized proper warmup procedures and lifting form/technique, my joints need all the help they can get in staying functional.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The longer I lifted weights the more supps I used and considered them "essential". I started with a multi and tried a host of others like most people. Nowadays it boils down to: Creatine, whey, glutamine, Vitamin E, Alcar, ALA, CoQ10, Flax seed oil, A multi, Maximum Prostate Formula, and a giant dose of common sense.Almost any male can benefit from this regimen.