Doggy Dementia

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So it appears our 10year old German Shepperd is starting early phases of dementia. Sorta weird as I've never experienced that in a dog before. This is my wife's transitional dog that she had as a puppy in between marriages so he has that extra special badge.

They have some cognitive health supplements at the vet we could try but I'm sorta wanting to try nootropics and honestly it sounds dumb but maybe adding rice to his food too. I'm just curious to try it on him because nootropics and carbs have always had positive cognitive effects on me.

of course, I realize dementia and brain fog aren't the same thing but hey.

Airmaniac

Airmaniac

Awards
Ginkgo Biloba 40mgs/10kgs

Tumeric, ginger, and cinnamon for inflammation and gut health.

Fish oil, rhodiola rosea, bacopa, Ginseng, Ashwagandha, and lions mane mushrooms are considered safe. Controlled labs carries some pet health products that may interest you.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ginkgo Biloba 40mgs/10kgs

Tumeric, ginger, and cinnamon for inflammation and gut health.

Fish oil, rhodiola rosea, bacopa, Ginseng, Ashwagandha, and lions mane mushrooms are considered safe. Controlled labs carries some pet health products that may interest you.
dude that's funny, Ginkgo was my first thought literally. But I immediately pondered nootropics because I personally never saw anything from Ginkgo, but did from nootropics. however, I know many people do find great value in ginkgo

Airmaniac

Airmaniac

Awards
Agreed. I started nootropics when ceretropic was around and the term has broadened into many categories these days.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
so my wife went in on like 40lbs of liver and heart (beef) with her friend. They spent an afternoon chopping it all up into treat size servings for the dogs. Literally the day after I started feeding a tiny bit of raw liver to the German Shepperd he started acting different. All the sudden he's smiling, not having accidents in the house etc.

I did not realize that prednisone can cause anemia... but with this added red meat he's a totally different dog for the better.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not sure safety wise for dogs, but methelyne blue has some very very interesting studies on prevention and possible reversal of dementia, Alzheimer’s, etc. also increases mitochondrial function by quite a bit and turns your pee toilet bowl cleaner blue which is a cool party trick

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
there was some bombshell research on dementia/ Alzheimer's that just came out. The plaque buildup is now known to be part of the bodies secondary defense mechanism. Its catching and trapping (in the plaques) various virus/maladies in the body, some of which is driven by diet. some of these can cross the blood brain barrier and that's what's causing it.

I think on the face carbs may not be the best additive to your doggos diet.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's sad man, I love my pets. Years ago I had a Doberman and I think she had dementia twords the end, she was 13 years old and all the sudden we would find her just standing in the corner starring at the wall and she would randomly start going to the bathroom inside which she never did. Definitely do so.e research before feeding her full of random supplements. Keep your expectations reasonable, 10 is definitely on the old side for a German shepherd. Does she get a little randomly aggressive or anything like that, that is out of character for her?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Oh I just saw the last part where the diet change seems to be working, that's awesome

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oh I just saw the last part where the diet change seems to be working, that's awesome
Dude night and day difference with this raw meat supplementing. I have to believe the poor guy was dealing with anemia at this point. Severe brain fog and he just looked like he was high as a kite for about a month. We've been doing this liver for about two weeks now, just a around an ounce or so at dinner and it's like he's three years younger. The Prednisone still creates it's challenges with how much he needs to drink, but totally different dog with the raw meat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Dude night and day difference with this raw meat supplementing. I have to believe the poor guy was dealing with anemia at this point. Severe brain fog and he just looked like he was high as a kite for about a month. We've been doing this liver for about two weeks now, just a around an ounce or so at dinner and it's like he's three years younger. The Prednisone still creates it's challenges with how much he needs to drink, but totally different dog with the raw meat.
That's awesome, funny enough "and for no specific reason " Whenever I'm trimming the fat off meat for meal prep and stuff like that I always give my cats scraps a chicken and steak. They love it.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You know some doctors point to cholesterol helping with things like dementia and Alzheimer’s and that it’s our low fat diets (and over prescription of statins) that cause the degradation because we are essentially starving our bodies of the necessary raw materials

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You know some doctors point to cholesterol helping with things like dementia and Alzheimer’s and that it’s our low fat diets (and over prescription of statins) that cause the degradation because we are essentially starving our bodies of the necessary raw materials
That's really interesting.
Of the people I've known with dementia and/or Alzheimers I'd have to say it's a 50/50 split between the obese and the skinny but it's a small sampling of folks and I never did break down or analyze their nutrition.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Its interesting, but at the same time if you look at countries with low rates of dementia you will see some very low fat diets too. I have no clue either way, I think there's lots of factors. If you look at the United States we have high fat high cholesterol diets and then you look at Japan they have low fat localist or all diets and are percentage of people who have dementia is about the same. Obviously that's one small example but At the same time it covers millions of people as a whole. We have almost 2x the dementia but also al.pst 2x the population so it balances out

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Its interesting, but at the same time if you look at countries with low rates of dementia you will see some very low fat diets too. I have no clue either way, I think there's lots of factors. If you look at the United States we have high fat high cholesterol diets and then you look at Japan they have low fat localist or all diets and are percentage of people who have dementia is about the same. Obviously that's one small example but At the same time it covers millions of people as a whole. We have almost 2x the dementia but also al.pst 2x the population so it balances out
I've ready studies that link Japans success in their aging population (most centurions in the world, at one point? might still have the most people over 100) to their fish based diets. I have also read studies on linking tofu/soy to Japans Dementia issues. But more recently I've also seen Japans govt express massive concerns over their dwindling birth rate to death rate and a fear that their society won't be able to support itself in the next few decades.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've ready studies that link Japans success in their aging population (most centurions in the world, at one point? might still have the most people over 100) to their fish based diets. I have also read studies on linking tofu/soy to Japans Dementia issues. But more recently I've also seen Japans govt express massive concerns over their dwindling birth rate to death rate and a fear that their society won't be able to support itself in the next few decades.
I'm speculating here but low fat diet for a man not on exogenous testosterone may have low Natural testosterone. By the lack of facial hair and small stature of Japanese men as a whole I might also speculate lower testosterone in general, the addition of excessive soy products might also play a role.

And all the things that make you less masculine also seem to be good for longevity. Lower calorie healthy diets also lead to lower igf1. We know excessively high levels of IGF1 can shorten your lifespan so while lower igf may not make yiu live longer. It's may make yiu not die sooner. Unless it's dangerously low.

Then you got the whole Genetic factors on top of that.

I'm just making guesses from random information

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Japan does a good job at being “pretend” healthy. I lived there for 4 years. I can tell you at least in the Tokyo area, the average diet is filled with processed oils, packed with sodium and not very healthy. Even dishes that appear to be healthy.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Japan does a good job at being “pretend” healthy. I lived there for 4 years. I can tell you at least in the Tokyo area, the average diet is filled with processed oils, packed with sodium and not very healthy. Even dishes that appear to be healthy.
Ya but isint that kinda like going to a resort in Mexico and assuming all of Mexico is nice?

Japan is always top of the list for one of the healthiest countries in the world. I'm sure There's a massive difference between tourist areas and capitals or big cities

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
pulled this and it took me a moment to process that violent dip in the middle.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ya but isint that kinda like going to a resort in Mexico and assuming all of Mexico is nice?

Japan is always top of the list for one of the healthiest countries in the world. I'm sure There's a massive difference between tourist areas and capitals or big cities
having never been to Japan it would probably be inappropriate for me to comment but my first thought was that there is likely large difference in lifestyle between the elderly Japanese today and the youthful Japanese in say Tokyo today.

I mean if someone saw my wife at age 50, who looks 30 with great T&A and then saw the way her daughter survives off about 600 calories of tofu per day, they'd assume that American's like my wife look so great because they eat garbage. lol

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
30% of all of Japan’s population lives in the Tokyo metro area. I think it comes down to activity level. Many many Japanese people walk a lot or ride a bike vs car transportation. I mean I walked 15 minutes to the train station. So I think it has to do with that more than diet honestly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think my dogs eat better than some humans lolIMG20230220193034.jpg