love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interested if anyone else has ever experienced this and what you’ve done …

For the past year-ish I have been having fairly intense dizzy spells while training. I believe it is POTS type symptoms- meaning my blood pressure drastically changing when I change positions. I have experienced them on occasion over the years but never so consistently. Lower body training days are the worst with the blood being pulled more into those muscles and a lot of position changes (glute ham raises, hip thrusts etc) I have a friend with POTS and she suggested salt/electrolyte tables so I have been using them during my workouts and it helps but doesn’t eliminate it. I also wonder if hydration plays a pretty big role with it as well- maybe days I’m not as optimally hydrated are worse especially since I typically train early.

Any ideas or tips?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How much total salt/sodium are you getting per day?
Tbh I don’t really track it. If anything it would be on the higher side- definitely shouldn’t be too little. I only take salt tablets if I feel it’s going to be an issue but we season our foods so I’m not a “low sodium” person. Haha

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tbh I don’t really track it. If anything it would be on the higher side- definitely shouldn’t be too little. I only take salt tablets if I feel it’s going to be an issue but we season our foods so I’m not a “low sodium” person. Haha
Gotcha. It’s happened to me a few times also, so now I ensure to have 500mg sodium right before training at noon as well as at least 500mg per meal before. Took care of it for me.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try isometrics for the time being or slow down your movement to 5-10 seconds positive, 1 second hold, 5-10 second negative, 1 second hold etc. It might help with the dizziness and you still get an intense workout. Perhaps do more machines where you can sit down or lie down rather than free weights.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Gotcha. It’s happened to me a few times also, so now I ensure to have 500mg sodium right before training at noon as well as at least 500mg per meal before. Took care of it for me.
Ahh good to know!

Try isometrics for the time being or slow down your movement to 5-10 seconds positive, 1 second hold, 5-10 second negative, 1 second hold etc. It might help with the dizziness and you still get an intense workout. Perhaps do more machines where you can sit down or lie down rather than free weights.
Ironically that is almost the exact approach I took to my lower body session today! Still stuck with free weights but just kept the weight lighter, moved slower and concentrated on feeling the muscles in each movement. Went a lot smoother and I was sweating more than I typically do.

A few years ago I had to cut training intensity and time back due to cortisol levels and adrenal issues…guess my body is just reminding me I can’t go as hardcore as I’d like anymore

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ahh good to know!

Ironically that is almost the exact approach I took to my lower body session today! Still stuck with free weights but just kept the weight lighter, moved slower and concentrated on feeling the muscles in each movement. Went a lot smoother and I was sweating more than I typically do.

A few years ago I had to cut training intensity and time back due to cortisol levels and adrenal issues…guess my body is just reminding me I can’t go as hardcore as I’d like anymore
Since you mentioned the adrenal issues, I’ve seen a lot of recommendations for preworkout sodium (and extra sodium in general) for those with those issues and that’s the reason I began myself. Just echoing Josh and myself (again).
Curious to know how much sodium you’re actually getting in a day. I always thought I was getting plenty, until I calculated it and routinely was short. It even effects my sleep.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Everyday when I wake up I take half a teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt in water (isn’t fun but you get used to it). I used to suffer from multiple migraines a week, Insomnia etc, the salt completely sorted that out for me.

It’s amazing stuff Kat, definitely worth taking on an empty stomach. You’ll notice the adrenal issues most likely vanish the first time you take pink salt, along with a sick sick pump in the gym

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, I am glad I’m not the only one. I have noticed it mostly on leg day or after a bent row or a bench press. Always on my 0 RIR week of my Mesocycle. I thought I was getting up too fast or just being older. I will give the pink salt trick a try

Last edited:
love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Since you mentioned the adrenal issues, I’ve seen a lot of recommendations for preworkout sodium (and extra sodium in general) for those with those issues and that’s the reason I began myself. Just echoing Josh and myself (again).
Curious to know how much sodium you’re actually getting in a day. I always thought I was getting plenty, until I calculated it and routinely was short. It even effects my sleep.
Interesting! I’ll have to read about that! I’ll definitely track it for a few days to see how much I’m getting! You could be right that, it’s just not enough- especially if my need is on the higher end. Interesting that it affects your sleep too!

Everyday when I wake up I take half a teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt in water (isn’t fun but you get used to it). I used to suffer from multiple migraines a week, Insomnia etc, the salt completely sorted that out for me.

It’s amazing stuff Kat, definitely worth taking on an empty stomach. You’ll notice the adrenal issues most likely vanish the first time you take pink salt, along with a sick sick pump in the gym
Curious -do you prefer it with the water for absorption or ease of taking? Worth trying for sure! Thanks!

Well, I am glad I’m not the only one. I have noticed it mostly on leg day or after a bent row or a bench press. Always on my 0 RIR week of my Mesocycle. I thought I was getting up too fast or just being older. I will give the pink salt trick a try
So glad I’m not the only one! Here I am thinking I’m crazy! lol

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Interesting! I’ll have to read about that! I’ll definitely track it for a few days to see how much I’m getting! You could be right that, it’s just not enough- especially if my need is on the higher end. Interesting that it affects your sleep too!

Curious -do you prefer it with the water for absorption or ease of taking? Worth trying for sure! Thanks!

The water is more to get the body going first thing in the morning for your gut. You’re actually meant to use luke warm water for best results, but my taps are instantaneously cold so I can’t do that. I’m sure having it with water is the lesser evil than dry scooping that much salt

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Honestly, I am a little left of center so not a good benchmark 🤪🤣🤪🤣

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The water is more to get the body going first thing in the morning for your gut. You’re actually meant to use luke warm water for best results, but my taps are instantaneously cold so I can’t do that. I’m sure having it with water is the lesser evil than dry scooping that much salt
Ahh gotcha. That’s what I figured.

Honestly, I am a little left of center so not a good benchmark

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Let’s see if I can summons @Hyde. He’s a wiz at intra workout hydration and sodium intake!
Great idea! What is he not a wizard at?! Haha

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Let’s see if I can summons @Hyde. He’s a wiz at intra workout hydration and sodium intake!
Lol

Definitely a hydration thing. I know I’m short on electrolytes when fasting if I stand up and get that dizzy pass out feeling.

Wife and I ALWAYS salt pre & intra, as we’re both morning trainees. For her, a Thermotab or a pickle if she feels like it does the trick, plus some Morton Lite Salt added to her intra carb drink. The lite salt is 50/50 sodium & potassium, and will not be enough sodium overall solo. I don’t use any iodine; I stick to straight salt closer to a gram.

If you only do one thing, eat a pickle or add a 1/4 tsp of your table salt of choice to your flavored preWO beverage (or shoot dry & chase if that’s nasty to you). Table salt is about 600mg sodium per 1/4tsp. If you don’t already take an iodine or kelp supplement, or daily pure cranberry juice, or liberally salt with iodized salt on food already, choose a basic iodized salt for this for your daily thyroid support. 2 birds, one stone!

Himalayan/pink/designer salts are a scam btw. The trace minerals are not significant enough to remotely help. Iodine is important.