Unanswered Crossover effects of unilateral training?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello,

Are there any cross over effects from unilateral training? For example, if I do 1 arm dumbell press (right pec), will there will any kind of training benefit to my left pec? I'm asking specifically in reference to training while injured (ex. one arm is injured or one leg is injured).

Thanks!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not as much as one would think, it’ll be good for your core having to stabilize your body but no, there isn’t much and you’d end up creating a pretty nasty imbalance in the process

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hello,

Are there any cross over effects from unilateral training? For example, if I do 1 arm dumbell press (right pec), will there will any kind of training benefit to my left pec? I'm asking specifically in reference to training while injured (ex. one arm is injured or one leg is injured).

Thanks!
Yes for further research look into contralateral training (but it does also go by a few other names) or the phenomenon of receiving/maintaining muscular benefits (hypertrophy and/or strength) when only training the opposite side.

Meta-Analysis for in depth of all the research if you care about the how and why:

Conclusion:
This meta-analysis suggests that unilateral strength training produces adaptations in the opposite limb, depending on the characteristics of the intervention performed. The training parameters that might determine a greater effect after a CE program are the execution of 3-5 sets of 8-15 repetitions of eccentric contractions with rest times of 1-2 minutes between sets. In addition, there seems to be a direct relationship between the training load applied and the effect achieved, albeit statistical not significant.
Some research on possibly why that also highlights benefits to “visualizing” doing the movement as well:

One study showing benefits in muscle size (not just strength):

I’d keep in mind:
-You will probably lose size regardless (and strength).
-Your training will be limited.
-It is possible to keep some of the performance/gains with this methodology, but some of the biggest benefits here is it will help lessen the detraining to potentially allow return to baseline faster.
-Don’t stress about it though, even if you don’t do anything gains come back quick and it would be worse to over do things both mentally and physically, a break may be good.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes for further research look into contralateral training (but it does also go by a few other names) or the phenomenon of receiving/maintaining muscular benefits (hypertrophy and/or strength) when only training the opposite side.

Meta-Analysis for in depth of all the research if you care about the how and why:

Conclusion:

Some research on possibly why that also highlights benefits to “visualizing” doing the movement as well:

One study showing benefits in muscle size (not just strength):

I’d keep in mind:
-You will probably lose size regardless (and strength).
-Your training will be limited.
-It is possible to keep some of the performance/gains with this methodology, but some of the biggest benefits here is it will help lessen the detraining to potentially allow return to baseline faster.
-Don’t stress about it though, even if you don’t do anything gains come back quick and it would be worse to over do things both mentally and physically, a break may be good.
Those are all good but they don’t follow up on after the fact to show how big of an imbalance there is. I wish there was a study out there where athletes didn’t train at all and then some did unilateral work and then they examined the overall imbalance from left to right sides.

Imbalances are not good, any time there’s an imbalance there’s a risk for injury, like for example quads to hamstrings. Too much quad dominance can cause a torn ACL as the hamstring can’t act as enough of an antagonist to the quad.

So while it does work slightly, you have to weigh the risks with the benefits. I’ll do unilateral load training with my athletes such as loading a bench Press with differing weights on each side but I’d never have my athletes train only one side when injured. Instead I’d have them focus on healing the affected areas and focus on what they can do, like benching for athletes with knee injuries and more upper body work.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those are all good but they don’t follow up on after the fact to show how big of an imbalance there is. I wish there was a study out there where athletes didn’t train at all and then some did unilateral work and then they examined the overall imbalance from left to right sides.

Imbalances are not good, any time there’s an imbalance there’s a risk for injury, like for example quads to hamstrings. Too much quad dominance can cause a torn ACL as the hamstring can’t act as enough of an antagonist to the quad.

So while it does work slightly, you have to weigh the risks with the benefits. I’ll do unilateral load training with my athletes such as loading a bench Press with differing weights on each side but I’d never have my athletes train only one side when injured. Instead I’d have them focus on healing the affected areas and focus on what they can do, like benching for athletes with knee injuries and more upper body work.

Thanks for the replies. Oh I see now, if I injure my arm, then I should do more leg based workouts till I heal and if I injure my leg, then arm based. I guess that makes sense. What if my right arm and left leg are injured?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If both are injured then you need to be in a damn bubble wrap suit till you heal up

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hello,

Thanks!
I have been told from numerous doctors and pts that especially during injury if you train one side the other will be stimulated to some degree, and more than what most would expect. The body does amazing things

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have been told from numerous doctors and pts that especially during injury if you train one side the other will be stimulated to some degree, and more than what most would expect. The body does amazing things
I don't have the links, but have read studies on the same thing... a broken arm (in a cast) on one side saw significantly less atrophy when the person continued to train the other arm (and other body parts IIRC)... wasn't like they kept 100% but it was significant enough that you would def want to do it vs lose everything.