Unanswered Can I used two bumper plates on the bar, instead of usign a mat?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, here's the deal, my elbows have been taking a beating from deadlifting. I don't drop the bar, but when progressing on the lift, there is impact. I ordered stall mats from Amazon, they sent me the wrong ones. I ordered stall mats from overstock and they canceled my order and said they were out of stock. Every site I go to to order stall mats wants over $200 in shipping! So I got to thinking, Amazon had bumper plates. I can onyl afford to buy two 45 pound bumper plates and then use my steel plates with them when I deadlift. I deadlift on carpet. Would the plates help similar to have a rubber mat would and would the plates hold up at least for awhile(lets say a year when deadlifting once a week)?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
They would definitely hold up but I’m not sure you’ll get the padding you’re looking for from them-especially if you’re mixing them with traditional plates. Not sure where you’re from but do you have a farming/animal supply type place near you? (Possibly even a lumber place) I know the local tractor supply carries stall mats you can cover the ground with that would work well.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They would definitely hold up but I’m not sure you’ll get the padding you’re looking for from them-especially if you’re mixing them with traditional plates. Not sure where you’re from but do you have a farming/animal supply type place near you? (Possibly even a lumber place) I know the local tractor supply carries stall mats you can cover the ground with that would work well.
I checked and the only close place is in a completely different county at least 30 miles away and I have to rely on family for transport at the moment, so no one will take me all the way out there.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I checked and the only close place is in a completely different county at least 30 miles away and I have to rely on family for transport at the moment, so no one will take me all the way out there.
Hmm...have you looked at any other ones on amazon? They have tons of interlocking mats and such. Not sure price range you’re looking for but Amazon is usually pretty good at replacing mixups.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm...have you looked at any other ones on amazon? They have tons of interlocking mats and such. Not sure price range you’re looking for but Amazon is usually pretty good at replacing mixups.
I found a company and thanks. I had to look at a bunch of sites, but finally found one that charges $43 and not $286 for shipping, or $170 for shipping. And Yeah, I have a return label from the company I ordered through Amazon from, but I wasn't about to order again from them because they're based in Sweden and it took a long time just to get a hold of them.