Beta blockers and Benzos together?

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Does anybody have any experience using beta blocker (ie. Propranolol) in combination with long half life benzos (ie. bromazepam)? I'm not new to benzos but never taken any beta blockers. This time this would be used for public and TV speaking, which I thoroughly dislike :)

Any contradictions on using them together?

Also currently on 350mg test and 250mg HCG eod...

Any input greatly appreciated!!!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does anybody have any experience using beta blocker (ie. Propranolol) in combination with long half life benzos (ie. bromazepam)? I'm not new to benzos but never taken any beta blockers. This time this would be used for public and TV speaking, which I thoroughly dislike :)

Any contradictions on using them together?

Also currently on 350mg test and 250mg HCG eod...

Any input greatly appreciated!!!
Yes I do.
Years ago.
You have to be EXTREMELY careful. That is a POWERFUL combo.
And, because of the nature of the drugs (the Benzos in particular), you probably won't understand how strongly they are affecting you.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes I do.
Years ago.
And, because of the nature of the drugs (the Benzos in particular), you probably won't understand how strongly they are affecting you.
I was just about to say something similar. This could potentially fatally lower the heart rate.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was just about to say something similar. This could potentially fatally lower the heart rate.
It's possible.
A Dr. prescribed this combo for me years ago. The Benzo as more of an accute med, for something very important and nerve wracking that I was going through at the time.

But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't take that combo.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes I do.
Years ago.
Probably dose dependent? The biggest issue I see is that with larger doses, they may both act to lower BP a bit to much?

What was your experience like?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Again, probably with to large doses?
Well... it’s a drug interaction, so it could possibly happen at normal doses. User dependent. In my not a doctor opinion.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Probably dose dependent? The biggest issue I see is that with larger doses, they may both act to lower BP a bit to much?

What was your experience like?
I was a "wunderkind" in a certain field, and this combo took me from that to ...."show him the door" in no time flat.
The effects of the 2 drugs are very similar... fatigue, impotence, drowsiness, lethargy... So a combination should be avoided, but their side effects don't add to each other ... they multiply them.

I understand that you are trying to increase your effectiveness at a position, but this will put your position in extreme jeopardy.
And anything at all involving safety, i.e. .. driving a car, or operating even simple machinery becomes a risk that is not worthwhile.
I know from experience that my words (of experience) may not deter you (they probably would not have deterred me at that point in my life), but to not share my experience and feelings about this would be inexcusable behavior on my part.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was a "wunderkind" in a certain field, and this combo took me from that to ...."show him the door" in no time flat.
The effects of the 2 drugs are very similar... fatigue, impotence, drowsiness, lethargy... So a combination should be avoided, but their side effects don't add to each other ... they multiply them.

I understand that you are trying to increase your effectiveness at a position, but this will put your position in extreme jeopardy.
And anything at all involving safety, i.e. .. driving a car, or operating even simple machinery becomes a risk that is not worthwhile.
I know from experience that my words (of experience) may not deter you (they probably would not have deterred me at that point in my life), but to not share my experience and feelings about this would be inexcusable behavior on my part.
Oh don't worry, your words are deterring me. Much appreciated. I am however a bit baffled, as I thought this combo was/is used all the time.

I found pharmacokinetic studies on benzos and beta blocker taken together and the biggest effect beta blockers have on benzos is that they prolong their elimination half life a bit. Didn't find anything about severe cases of drug interactions like Old W. mentioned.

Benzos really don't take care of physical anxiety simptoms that much for me. BP can still get pretty high... this is why I was thinking of small to moderate dose benzo coupled with small dose beta blocker... idk

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh don't worry, your words are deterring me. Much appreciated. I am however a bit baffled, as I thought this combo was/is used all the time.

I found pharmacokinetic studies on benzos and beta blocker taken together and the biggest effect beta blockers have on benzos is that they prolong their elimination half life a bit. Didn't find anything about severe cases of drug interactions like Old W. mentioned.

Benzos really don't take care of physical anxiety simptoms that much for me. BP can still get pretty high... this is why I was thinking of small to moderate dose benzo coupled with small dose beta blocker... idk
I can tell you that they do have extreme interactions. I did not experience death, but given the effects, it is certainly possible.

There were times after what I mentioned, that I felt that I could use some relief from some extreme anxiety sitiations, but the thought of ever trying any kind of combo with these again was never considered. And it never should have been.

I am more cautious in general, now more than I used to be, but rarely do I say JUST DON'T DO IT. But that is my advice to you on this one brother.

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
They say that about Benzos and opioids too though and....well.... I’m still here lol

That said I would trust the recommendations of others here and be very careful until you know how your body responds

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
They say that about Benzos and opioids too though and....well.... I’m still here lol

That said I would trust the recommendations of others here and be very careful until you know how your body responds
Yeah, I used to use that combo myself years ago. And I don't recommend it to anyone, because it is dangerous. But this combo was not even in the same category.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It’s all about how you body responds for sure..

I have been on 2 mg Klonopin chronically for ~15 years, so my body is obviously acclimated to it and it is my baseline.

I am also prescribed 40mg Propanolol (formerly 50mg Atenolol) as needed for public speaking/presentations etc..

I have had nothing but positive experiences dosing these meds together, and I have done It countless times. Oddly enough though, I seem to find Atenolol to be more effective, even though Propanol comes more highly recommended.

If taking any of these meds just for public speaking events, you will truly benefit the most from a beta-blocker and shouldn’t even need a benzo..

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't worry about anything acute or safety with that combo. Just curious do you take the beta blocker everyday? or just before a speaking obligation? Because I cant train for **** on beta blockers and would be most worried about exercise capacity. Works great for nerves though, just wouldn't want to be on them all the time.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldn't worry about anything acute or safety with that combo. Just curious do you take the beta blocker everyday? or just before a speaking obligation? Because I cant train for **** on beta blockers and would be most worried about exercise capacity. Works great for nerves though, just wouldn't want to be on them all the time.
Interesting, you wouldn't worry but renew is totally psyched : )

No, I have never taken beta blockers before. It was my plan to take 3mg bromazepam and 20mg propanolol.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s all about how you body responds for sure..

I have been on 2 mg Klonopin chronically for ~15 years, so my body is obviously acclimated to it and it is my baseline.

I am also prescribed 40mg Propanolol (formerly 50mg Atenolol) as needed for public speaking/presentations etc..

I have had nothing but positive experiences dosing these meds together, and I have done It countless times. Oddly enough though, I seem to find Atenolol to be more effective, even though Propanol comes more highly recommended.

If taking any of these meds just for public speaking events, you will truly benefit the most from a beta-blocker and shouldn’t even need a benzo..
Yeah, that's also what I've read mostly online, that there aren't any major issues combining the two on normal doses... Glad to hear this combo served you well!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen so many people die from benzos, it's so extremely addictive, you up the dosage due to tolerance. I can't understand how any doctor would prescribe them and it's unfortunate they're even used in medicin. Stay away from it all together

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've seen so many people die from benzos, it's so extremely addictive, you up the dosage due to tolerance. I can't understand how any doctor would prescribe them and it's unfortunate they're even used in medicin. Stay away from it all together
Weed and steroids fix my anxiety better than benzos ever did. I have general and acute (panic) anxiety. Have had for 16 years. I stopped letting it rule my life 12 years ago. I take no meds for it.

I do smoke a lot of weed and use as many AAS as I wish, though.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh, THC worsens my anxiety. I can ingest max 0.05 - 0.07g of weed.

Yeah, you have to be really careful with benzos.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just to add to this: I took 50mg propranolol with 3mg bromazepam for a public speaking, Q/A that I had not so long ago. Propranolol helped a lot. I was still very anxious and semi frozen but I pulled it off o.k. After a couple of minutes in front of the audience I relaxed and from then on it was much better. My resting heart rate was still 55 to 70.

Took beta blockers for the first time and it was a great add on in combination to the low dose benzo. I would not hesitate to take this combo again for such an event. 50mg's was probably to low of a dose as still felt my heart pounding until I relaxed.

Anyway, still alive and kicking.