Any diet advice/supplements for someone with carb sensitivity?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I'm extremely carb sensitive. I have a slow metabolism and it does not even matter if I'm in a calorie deficit, or do cardio. What usually happens is, I might loose 10-15 pounds in a few months after being very strict with diet and doing cardio and then it'll stall for months to the point where I'll just get tired of trying to cut weight. I'm currently taking in 2,200-2,300 calories a day, working out 4 days a week and doing 45 minutes of cardio a day and I gained weight. I DO suffer from sleep apnea, but have a cpap(though only had it a few months. Had old one for awhile but needed a new one) that I use every night. I'd like to not need to use the cpap anymore. I only need it when I'm over 220 pounds, but for the past few years I haven't been able to get under about 235. I'm thinking of getting on keto, but I'm too broke right now to have a super high protein and fat diet, as I am looking for employment at the moment; money is tight. For reference, I'm 6 foot tall and 250 pounds and I'll be 31 this year. Also important to note, my strength is increasing very fast, at least every two weeks. Side Note: I ofter crave carbs and feel very hungry if I get less than 200 grams of carbs a day, but also the more carbs I have, the less I seem to loose fat.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My grocery bill on keto is far cheaper than when bulking, so don’t use $$$ as an excuse not to go keto.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
So, I'm extremely carb sensitive. I have a slow metabolism and it does not even matter if I'm in a calorie deficit, or do cardio. What usually happens is, I might loose 10-15 pounds in a few months after being very strict with diet and doing cardio and then it'll stall for months to the point where I'll just get tired of trying to cut weight. I'm currently taking in 2,200-2,300 calories a day, working out 4 days a week and doing 45 minutes of cardio a day and I gained weight. I DO suffer from sleep apnea, but have a cpap(though only had it a few months. Had old one for awhile but needed a new one) that I use every night. I'd like to not need to use the cpap anymore. I only need it when I'm over 220 pounds, but for the past few years I haven't been able to get under about 235. I'm thinking of getting on keto, but I'm too broke right now to have a super high protein and fat diet, as I am looking for employment at the moment; money is tight. For reference, I'm 6 foot tall and 250 pounds and I'll be 31 this year. Also important to note, my strength is increasing very fast, at least every two weeks. Side Note: I ofter crave carbs and feel very hungry if I get less than 200 grams of carbs a day, but also the more carbs I have, the less I seem to loose fat.
You sound like the poster child for keto.

Things that will kill your results.

1. Cheat day.
2. Alcohol

If you're strength in climbing, calories are at maintenance or over.

Have you had recent bloodwork to check thyroid, liver, kidney function?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You sound like the poster child for keto.

Things that will kill your results.

1. Cheat day.
2. Alcohol

If you're strength in climbing, calories are at maintenance or over.

Have you had recent bloodwork to check thyroid, liver, kidney function?
Blood work was all good and it was pre-cpap. They ONLY measure TSH though in terms of thyroid. TSH was 1.93.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
Blood work was all good and it was pre-cpap. They ONLY measure TSH though in terms of thyroid. TSH was 1.93.
Ok, its within normal but doesn't tell us the conversion of t4/t3. How about Glucose levels? Under 100?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, its within normal but doesn't tell us the conversion of t4/t3. How about Glucose levels? Under 100?
They just said within normal range. I didn't get to see the full report, just what the doc had on the screen and I only thought about thyroid at the time. They have a login system you can apply for, but I don't since it makes my records less secure. I can call and ask. I think glucose levels in the past were in the 90s. I am thinking about just going to a company and paying for a t4/t3 test. I've asked twice and they said my insurance won't cover any thyroid tests beyond TSH, because "it's enough to tell".

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
100% agree that keto is likely a very cheap way to diet as higher fat cuts of meat are usually much cheaper and the overall volume of food goes down significantly since the bulk of your calories are fats (which are double+ the caloric content).

That said, carbs are also dirt cheap so in your case I would reccomend carb cycling and a good GDA like SNS Glycophase. This will help partition the carbs more preferentially towards muscles vs just being stored.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What carbs you are eating is the question. You might need less but I think it's mandatory to have some if you want to build muscles. Branched Cycle dextrin is something you could implement during workout, focus more on eating oats and go a bit higher with the fats.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
100% agree that keto is likely a very cheap way to diet as higher fat cuts of meat are usually much cheaper and the overall volume of food goes down significantly since the bulk of your calories are fats (which are double+ the caloric content).

That said, carbs are also dirt cheap so in your case I would reccomend carb cycling and a good GDA like SNS Glycophase. This will help partition the carbs more preferentially towards muscles vs just being stored.
Agreed with this. Carb cycling would be a nice option in your case and if you use a gda you should be good to go!