Any "Deeper Point" of Training? Core Strength the Most Important Thing to Build?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

1. I remember reading Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength."

2. The Preface says something like "Strength is the most important thing. Those without it cannot be successful."

Here is the exact quote, from the book:

"Physical strength is the most important thing in life. This is true whether we want it to be or not. As humanity has developed throughout history, physical strength has become less critical to our daily existence, but no less important to our lives. Our strength, more than any other thing we possess, still determines the quality and the quantity of our time here in these bodies. Whereas previously our physical strength determined how much food we ate and how warm and dry we stayed, it now merely determines how well we function in these new surroundings we have crafted for ourselves as our culture has accumulated. But we are still animals – our physical existence is, in the final analysis, the only one that actually matters. A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong. This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence. It is instructive to see what happens to these very people as their squat strength goes up."

3. So, as we train, what should be the ultimate goal?

a. Maximum strength, even if we get fat
b. Build sufficient strength, then get maximum muscle mass
c. Deep core strength
d. It depends on goals?

4. In my opinion, core strength is even more important than prime movere strength.

In my own anecdote, I have injured myself when trying heavy squats or deadlifts.

A lot of that is my very weak core, glutes, and tight hamstrings, hip flexors, and lower back.

These days, I try to do plenty of dynamic warmups, movement exercises, etc., before squats to ensure injuries never happen.

5. Speaking of core strength, I think the best athletes are those with strongest cores. Gymnasts are a prime example. Pound for pound, their strengths are commendable.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Of course someone like Rip would write something like that. While I appreciate what he did in the past for building interest in certain aspects of strength training, he’s the prime example of not being willing to adapt with the times and letting advancements in understanding leave him behind (even in the realm of just strength he’s pretty far behind updated understandings of anatomy and physiology).

That quote that sounds like an over zealous philosophy major who enjoys lifting who also just learned about Socrates. 🤣

As someone who does tons of strength training, there is way more to life and even training than just being strong. My other worry is even if you come to thinking and wanting mostly just to be strong ignoring complimentary and sometimes seemingly contradictory systems and methods will leave things suboptimal.

Ultimate goal is going to come down to the individual and their specific goals in regards to what amount of importance they attach to each component, but being healthy through some approach that balances the components of fitness (cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility and body composition) while keeping certain health measures at a proper level is a good start.

Again lots of this comes down to individual goals, you will probably find a heavy strength emphasis in a community like this though (not that there is anything inherently wrong with that on the surface).

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

I am still trying to find the "pure simple truth."

At least in my case, no matter what, I know I need to build flexibility and a stronger core. Fortunately, for my abysmally low starting point, there are many ways to develop.

Mattg

Awards
Great book, however like with everything it presents only one end of the spectrum. You can be strong, but have almost non-existent mobility. You can deadlift your two girlfriends but run out of breath when running 150m trying to catch your dog.
One book says eat an apple a day and you'll be fine, another one says eat an apple a day and it will kill you.
How about reading both, testing things for yourself using a scientific method, keeping what works and discarding what doesnt?
Furthermore, depending on where you are in your lifting journey, your goals will change as well. When you're 20 your capacity is very different than when you're 50.
So be a student of life :)

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I have tried many programs and many diets over the years.

Right now, I am so detrained I just need more of everything (range of motion-flexibility, strength, muscle mass, cardio).

It is when the plateau's hit that make it impossible to get through. I guess I can research and worry about that about a month into training.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you think that is radical, Pavel Tsatsouline (Father of Modern Day Kettlebells) said that the barest minimum anyone should do to build strength is abs training and grip training.