Am I squatting low enough pics?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, if you're trying to compete in something the short answer is no you dont appear to be as your hip crease is well above your knees. If you aren't competing and dont have knee pain then there really is no such thing as "deep enough". With that said, in general, bigger ROM = more work = more hypertrophy stimulus on the muscle though, so there may be a reason to try and get to parallel or slightly beyond. ATG is unnecessary though imo.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, if you're trying to compete in something the short answer is no you dont appear to be as your hip crease is well above your knees. If you aren't competing and dont have knee pain then there really is no such thing as "deep enough". With that said, in general, bigger ROM = more work = more hypertrophy stimulus on the muscle though, so there may be a reason to try and get to parallel or slightly beyond. ATG is unnecessary though imo.
^^ this.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Maybe aim for parallell?
[/QUOTE is that parre
i thought parraell was right at the safety rack? I go a little lower than that!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont know how low you usually squat. I just know what I'm seeing in that picture and it is not really even very close to parallel. What the hell do you mean parallel is right at the safety rack? Where the rack is at parallel is gonna depend on someones leg and torso length, it has absolutely nothing to do with your squat depth (maybe for YOU it does correspond to parallel, but for everyone...no).

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I dont know how low you usually squat. I just know what I'm seeing in that picture and it is not really even very close to parallel. What the hell do you mean parallel is right at the safety rack? Where the rack is at parallel is gonna depend on someones leg and torso length, it has absolutely nothing to do with your squat depth (maybe for YOU it does correspond to parallel, but for everyone...no).
I’m not trying to compete! Here is a better angle! I though parrell was when your gluetes go right pass that little grey bar! Is parrell the same thing as ass to grass?

Attachments

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m not trying to compete! Here is a better angle! I though parrell was when your gluetes go right pass that little grey bar! Is parrell the same thing as ass to grass?
Parallell is when ur glutes goes lower than your knees

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My thing is it’s not easy to tell by the pics. Your definitely not at parallel from the look of the first pic but the pic is unclear. Can you take one from the side angle or a video from the side? Much easier to break down

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your asking if that's a legal squat. No it didn't look like it.
Do u touch your chest when u bench?.
But lots of people build sick ass legs squaring to the point where your stopping.
Ass to grass is literally how it sounds. But almost on the ground

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glutes look lower than knees to me.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
But lots of people build sick ass legs squaring to the point where your stopping.
what do you mean squaring?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

what do you mean squaring?
Typo...*squating not squaring

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Parallel is hip parallel to the top of knee. You are not parallel. Looks about two inches lower than where u are.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
The crease in your hips has to break the plane of your knees. That’s for a competition legal squat. If your trying to build size and you’re comfortable at the depth you’re going to you’re fine.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The crease in your hips has to break the plane of your knees. That’s for a competition legal squat. If your trying to build size and you’re comfortable at the depth you’re going to you’re fine.
Exactly what I said 16 posts ago lol, yet here we are going around and around in circles like a bunch of monkeys.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Exactly what I said 16 posts ago lol, yet here we are going around and around in circles like a bunch of monkeys.
Take it easy Guy! It always good to get more than one opinion!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use less weight, work on mobility and you can get at least parallel !

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use less weight, work on mobility and you can get at least parallel !

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
This^

OP....your crease HAS to break the plane to be performed correctly. It was already stated and it's way easier on your knees. It is also harder and you will have to use less weight of course. I know....that sucks...right...Don't worry, they will go back up. If it's an ego thing...nobody cares if you have a loaded bar and are doing the exercise incorrectly. People will be more impressed they see someone repping 315 ATG than someone with 405 doing half reps.

Many times on here we see somebody post a question, they ignore the right answer....even though they know it's the correct one. Then they wait to get enough people to say what they are doing is ok....then roll with it.

What we are telling you is the correct way to perform the exercise....we are here to help.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
This^

OP....your crease HAS to break the plane to be performed correctly. It was already stated and it's way easier on your knees. It is also harder and you will have to use less weight of course. I know....that sucks...right...Don't worry, they will go back up. If it's an ego thing...nobody cares if you have a loaded bar and are doing the exercise incorrectly. People will be more impressed they see someone repping 315 ATG than someone with 405 doing half reps.

Many times on here we see somebody post a question, they ignore the right answer....even though they know it's the correct one. Then they wait to get enough people to say what they are doing is ok....then roll with it.

What we are telling you is the correct way to perform the exercise....we are here to help.
That guy said the depth I am squatting is good for mass it’s not a ego things it’s a flexibility issue a lot dudes at the gym say my form is great! Just wanna get multiple opinions.

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
That guy said the depth I am squatting is good for mass it’s not a ego things it’s a flexibility issue a lot dudes at the gym say my form is great! Just wanna get multiple opinions.
Partials are good for bicep mass too. Doesn't mean that I'm only going to do partials and skip full reps.

I'm not saying your form is bad. Hard to tell from a still picture. I can clearly see that you need to go deeper though. If already know mobility is an issue, you've pinpointed the problem, work on it.

Check this out and his other vids...he has some good drills for mobility.
Squat Mobility

You can also try to use squat shoes or just raise your heels with some plates till you get the mobility straightened out.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well your not doing a real squat...some people stop 4 inches above there chest when they bench too. Its fine if your fine with it bot you cant claim u squat a number if it ain't low enough.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If your legs are consistently growing outward, don't get too caught up in going down another inch. If I'm growing, why kill myself or over stress, especially if I'm not powerlifting competing.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thread made me laugh lol. Dude if you feel like you are progressing and growing then you are good. Like you said you are not competing ever so it’s fine.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It looks okay to me. Remember the lower you go you hit more hams, glutes.

I go all the way down sometimes, sometimes a bit higher. Good to mix it up.