155-3
    175-2
    185-1
    195-1

550# hexbar hold:
    round 1 - 30s
    round 2 - 30s

core work

This week was an off week from heavy deads so I tried the stiffys to build up endurance for my stone loads. I had planned on a set of hang cleans or power cleans for 60 s, but ran out of time.

Hi,i read your log today,you are doing very good.

There is many things that interesting me about your workout,especially dips,i saw that you are doing them with weight...180 pounds is amazing in this exercise,you also said that you didnt train them for a while.

Can you tell me how did you train them,how much reps and sets,because it is not easy to achive this level of strength in dip station,and im very interest in dip workout...
    •   

Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    Hi,i read your log today,you are doing very good.

There is many things that interesting me about your workout,especially dips,i saw that you are doing them with weight...180 pounds is amazing in this exercise,you also said that you didnt train them for a while.

Can you tell me how did you train them,how much reps and sets,because it is not easy to achive this level of strength in dip station,and im very interest in dip workout...
    Thanks, Westerner. I built up to about a set of 2 at 200 + bodyweight about 5 or 6 years. I stopped doing them, though, about 5 years ago when I re-evaluated my workout routine. I just started getting back into dips as something to hit the triceps. I feel like just doing some sort of benching and pressing exercises keeps me fairly strong in my dips.

I mix it up as far as how I train them. If I'm feeling fairly beat up, I'll just do them with my bodyweight for high reps. If I go heavy, I'll do something like

BW-10
    BW+45 - 10
    BW+90 - 5
    BW+135 - 5
    BW+180 - 5 (or whatever I can get here)
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Sunday:

log clean n press:
    225 -4 + 1 clean
    225 -4 + 1 clean

farmers hold with 280 per hand:
    28 s

farmers walk with 230 per hand:
    8 yards

tire flips in 1 minute:
    16 (17th fell at 1:01)
    splits:
    4 in <10s
    8 in 24s
    10 <30s
    16 in 56s

235# stone loads and unloads in 60s:

The stone loading event is last in the contest so we tried it after some fatiguing events and it sucked. I had weird forearm pains. I tried to not use the flat bottom for grip as much as well.

It seems like after 4 clean n presses on the log regardless of the weight, I'm out of gas. I felt like I was at the top of Everest after the fifth clean, no oxygen.

The farmer's handles are new but the handles are slick and unknurled. They'll take some getting used to. I actually deadlifted them easily which was a concern for me.

The tire will be for conditioning on the stone, and I hope to keep doing this one as it's a good whole body workout for 60 s.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Tues.

BW: 219.7

Power Cleans:
    225-3
    245-3
    265-1

BO rows:
    225-8
    275-4
    300-3

leg extensions
    legcurls
    calves
    core work

I skipped squats this week to give my legs a break. I may have rushed in to the low box height a little too quickly so I felt like I needed a week off. The power cleans felt fairly good, but my form is terrible. I wanted to go heavier but the catches were killing my wrists and elbows. I need to find someone to help me with my form.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

What up, Polynomial. I can't seem to stop pulling with my arms on those power cleans.

By the way, you can embed youtube videos like this

[y t]12bczFB2X-4[/yt] (except delete the space between the first "y" and "t")

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    What up, Polynomial. I can't seem to stop pulling with my arms on those power cleans.
    What helped me was to continually think about not bending my arms during the pull.

I tried thinking a bit about the physics of the movement and I think that it helps in understanding of what's going on. So for now, forget about the power clean and consider a vertical jump: the force that propels you upward is generated by your legs at the floor. Once you're in the air, you have no other force acting on you except for gravity.

The power clean is similar in that the force that acts on the bar that sends it traveling up is transferred from your legs, through your trunk, and then through your straight arms to the bar. Once the bar is initially propelled upward, the only force acting on it should be gravity. As the bar is flying up, you can relax your grip and easily rotate your arms and catch the bar on its way down.

I guess that what you could theoretically do is at the top of the second pull (when you jump), just let go of the bar. It should fly up, then you can try to catch it, but I suppose that people prefer to keep their hands around the bar for some control

At least this is my current understanding, and it might be totally wrong.

Edit: Oh yeah, and also, pulling up with your arms is essentially trying to do an upright row as the bar is traveling up. Well, even though it's traveling up, the only force acting down is gravity, so you're basically trying to do a 265lb upright row. My guess is that people can power clean a lot more than they can upright row, and my point is that after "jumping" the bar up in the air, any sort of arm pulling isn't really adding much to the distance that the bar travels up.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Cool, I'll keep at it.

Wed.

BW: 219.3

standing military:
    225-3 PR

incline:
    325-3 PR
    345-1 PR
    355-0

dips:
    BW - 35
    BW+45 - 12

shoulder assist

A good day of lifting, overall. 345 may have the most efficient heavy incline rep that I've ever done although I probably got a decent bounce off the chest. I was hoping that 355 would go the same way, but oh well.

Nice workout. Did I tell you about the time I beat up all of Chute Boxe at the same time?
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Yeah, but that's not saying that much these days.....

Oh, and look out on incline, GG, I'm coming for you.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Thursday

BW: 219.7

deadlift - touch n go reps in 60s (belt, no straps)
    435-11

rack pull medley - do a rep and add 25# on each side, then do another ... (belt+straps and the bar started in front of the knee cap ~19-20'')
    round 1 -
    605 - fail

round 2-
    615-fail (just added 10's this time)

wide grip overhand pullups-15
    close grip with hands perpendicular to shoulder line-14

pinch grip - take 2 25's and put them together with the flat side out and hold
    right-21s
    left-17s

2 35's - pretty much failed from the start

My training partner said he had never seen anyone bounce the bar as hard as I did. There are no restrictions on bouncing so I plan to get the most mileage out of the bounce as possible. Cheap, maybe, but I'll take it. I got the 11 in about 45s before I set it down. I seem to have nothing left for any more reps after the set down. As I've said before, the first few inches are my weak area so this makes sense.

Thursday
    My training partner said he had never seen anyone bounce the bar as hard as I did. There are no restrictions on bouncing so I plan to get the most mileage out of the bounce as possible. Cheap, maybe, but I'll take it. I got the 11 in about 45s before I set it down. I seem to have nothing left for any more reps after the set down. As I've said before, the first few inches are my weak area so this makes sense.
    I didn't know that bouncing deads was even possible. How's your lower back position when you don't stop to reset after every rep?

Also, I only have a ****ty picture camera and not a phone camera, but I can lend it to you if you wanna take some movies to analyze your technique.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Oh, it's possible.

Form : Hard to say on the later reps, but it's pretty good on the earlier ones as far as back position. To do them fast and get a bounce, I use hardly any legs. Basically, I lower it stiff legged to get as much speed as possible. Others in the contest agree with me on the "use just a little leg" philosophy.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Strongman Sunday :

log press (1 clean and then pressing reps):
    245-5
    255-2

farmers walk
    190 per hand - ~67 yards
    280 per hand - ~2 yards (training partner wanted to try it - this weight is above my DL max.)

tire flips in 60s (wet grass and water in tire):

stone loads over bar in 60 s
    230# stone - 4 (bar height 50'')
    160# - 10 (bar height 57'')

Thoughts:
    Very happy with 245-5 on the log. I mentally focused on really getting a good quick burst at the bottom and it helped. I think that I'll stop the clean and press reps since the press is the limiting factor these days. 255 was tougher and maybe I was worn out but I did a good job of getting under it to sort of push jerk it up.

I've always been fairly poor at farmer's so I was rather pleased with my performance. One of my training partners has won a number of farmer's hold events and thinks that farmers walk is actually better at improving your holds than practicing the hold itself. Interesting.

I had 4 flips in 9s on the tire and then I just couldn't grip the thing any more. It kept sliding out of my hands as I tried to flip it. A guy in his upper 40's who recently had a hip replacement tied me, and a 170 #er beat me by one. Haha. (They are both great competitors, though. I just usually beat them at this event.)

The 230# stone rolled around in the wet grass making it slick as hell so 4 was pretty good IMO. I decided playing around with the 160# (which has a plastidip coating so it is easy to grip) would be a good conditioning event to close and fun too.
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.

Nice Racks Jas!
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Monday - shifted days for my training partner who had some personal stuff going on this week.

squat to 14.5'' box(belt + knee wraps):
    405-6
    445-1
    465-1

front squats (high-speed triples for explosive leg drive on the log):
    225-3
    245-3

BO rows:
    275-5
    315-3

hypers

I wasn't quite in the "groove" on the 405 set. As far as supplements go, I've been taking some RPM pre-WO and it's just OK. I feel like it lost it's effect for me, or at least it's just not very strong. I think the reverse tolerance claim is BS (which isn't surprising). I've never tried more than 4, though, so maybe I'll give 5 a try on Thurs.

I've got some Clout on the way, which always seems to add a few pounds on me. Maybe I can get up to 223 or so by Dec. 15th.
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.

Monday - shifted days for my training partner who had some personal stuff going on this week.

squat to 14.5'' box(belt + knee wraps):
    405-6
    445-1
    465-1

front squats (high-speed triples for explosive leg drive on the log):
    225-3
    245-3

BO rows:
    275-5
    315-3

reverse hypers

I wasn't quite in the "groove" on the 405 set. As far as supplements go, I've been taking some RPM pre-WO and it's just OK. I feel like it lost it's effect for me, or at least it's just not very strong. I think the reverse tolerance claim is BS (which isn't surprising). I've never tried more than 4, though, so maybe I'll give 5 a try on Thurs.

I've got some Clout on the way, which always seems to add a few pounds on me. Maybe I can get up to 223 or so by Dec. 15th.
    Nice workout Jas! Very impressive numbers. Got to love Clout!
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Wed.

BW: 219.5

standing military
    235-fail
    235-1
    240-failed miserably

standing military with dumbells
    65s-10
    80s-6
    90s-3

incline with 2 s pause on chest
    225-8

dips
    BW - 25

shoulder assist

My 235 success was a long 2-3 s rep, not sure why I tried 240 after. Standing military is definitely a game of inches. 5 extra pounds can feel like a ton. I liked using the dumbells a lot too and may start including them more often. It's gotta be good for the stabilizers.

What is your posture like on those standing military presses? Are you leaning back like a mofo, or staying straight up and down? Workouts are lookin good. I'm off to go hit my day late max effort bench day, later.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

When I explode off of my chest, I have a tendency to thrust my back backwards but not to a ridiculous degree from what I can tell. Honestly, I sometimes contort my back to finding the easiest angle of pressing, not on purpose, it just happens. My 225-3 set last week was probably ugly as hell. Using a belt really helps on these if you ever do them. It gives you something to sort of resist backwards against. It might help with push pressing as well since you said that you used to do those.

Good luck on the ME bench.

When I explode off of my chest, I have a tendency to thrust my back backwards but not to a ridiculous degree from what I can tell. Honestly, I sometimes contort my back to finding the easiest angle of pressing, not on purpose, it just happens. My 225-3 set last week was probably ugly as hell. Using a belt really helps on these if you ever do them. It gives you something to sort of resist backwards against. It might help with push pressing as well since you said that you used to do those.

Good luck on the ME bench.
    Last time I did standing military presses half way through I noticed that I had turned it into basically a flat bench press. I'm pretty flexible/contortable?, and my torso must've been at about 20 degrees(exaggeration). Is today a day off for you? Do you ever feel like your CNS is taxed to hell? I know my CNS is ****ed when my left eye gets a little lazy, lol.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Yeah definitely feel like my CNS gets taxed to hell. When I first started doing the stone loads regularly and was trying to go heavy weekly on deads, I actually failed on a 1 rep warmup dead at 455. I knew my CNS was fried to hell if I failed at that. I think it's natural to thrust back on the standing military to explode off the chest.

Thurs.

deadlift:
    515-1 PR
    525-1 new PR

widegrip pullups: 16
    closegrip : 15

snatch:
    135-3 (trying for max. speed)

550# hexbar (I guess most people call it the trapbar) hold:
    32 seconds

core work

Well, I figured out the perfect preparation for deadlifting heavy. Usually I look at it too long and get nervous and go up to the bar then back away...... On a 455 warmup as I went down to grab the bar, my belt hit the volume button of my Ipod turning it up ridiculously loud. It was very unpleasant so I just wanted to do the rep as quickly as possible and I did it as easy as a 315 rep. This didn't allow me to worry about it and pace around. So I turned the music up really high on my other sets and it worked really well too. Not really ingenious or anything, but it did the trick.

My training partners said my 525 rep looked as painful as any deadlift rep that they had ever seen. I got it stuck about 5'' off the ground for maybe 3s or so and the full rep probably took over 5s. I didn't feel too bad, but we'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm going to start doing some rack squats to give me some more power off the ground. Any suggestions on a rep scheme for these? Heavy singles?

I tried 5 RPM tonight, and it really performed well. I guess that I just wasn't taking enough and maybe spoke too soon. Unfortunately, I'm still really stimmed up, and it's midnight here. Might be a long night. Oh, and first day of Clout today.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynomial View Post
    Also, I only have a ****ty picture camera and not a phone camera, but I can lend it to you if you wanna take some movies to analyze your technique.
    Poly, I might take you up on that camera offer some time. It would be good to see how it looks.

I'm going to start doing some rack squats to give me some more power off the ground. Any suggestions on a rep scheme for these? Heavy singles?
    By rack squats do you mean starting with the bar on the safety bars at the bottom of the squat? If so, that sounds like a good idea but heavy singles seem very injury prone.

I just re-read in starting strength (2nd edition) that in a correct deadlift the quads are used first to straighten the knee. So it sounds like you might try some front squats or something like that to strengthen your quads? (good practice for the clean, too).

Name the place and time for the camera, just give me a couple of hours of notice so that I can charge it.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

By rack squats do you mean starting with the bar on the safety bars at the bottom of the squat? If so, that sounds like a good idea but heavy singles seem very injury prone.

I just re-read in starting strength (2nd edition) that in a correct deadlift the quads are used first to straighten the knee. So it sounds like you might try some front squats or something like that to strengthen your quads? (good practice for the clean, too).

Name the place and time for the camera, just give me a couple of hours of notice so that I can charge it.
    Yeah you start with the bar on the safety pins and squat it up to the standing position. It's not really a full squat, though. You start where you are weak in the movement. I think for me it would be about a 3/4 squat. The PL team guys do them.

Yeah you start with the bar on the safety pins and squat it up to the standing position. It's not really a full squat, though. You start where you are weak in the movement. I think for me it would be about a 3/4 squat. The PL team guys do them.
    Nice work on the PR.

I do rack squats for upper body strength in supporting heavy deads and squats and in preparing CNS for handling heavier loads.

I do not see how they will help the bottom part of the Deadlift at all.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
    Nice work on the PR.

I do rack squats for upper body strength in supporting heavy deads and squats and in preparing CNS for handling heavier loads.

I do not see how they will help the bottom part of the Deadlift at all.
    Thanks.

The idea is to start with the bar at height so that if you reached your arms down, they would be in the position to grab a barbell resting on the floor. In a DL, the first part of the motion is mainly your legs starting to straighten with the angle that your back makes with the floor staying relatively constant. Since you are starting at the bottom, the rack squat simulates the leg drive/push off the bottom of the floor and should provide you with more explosive speed off of the ground.

A lot of local PLers use this training technique which I think may be a little more old school and combine it with rack pulls, stiff legs, and shrugs.

I may also try some high rep halting deads as well or instead of.

post up a vid of your dead when you get a chance.

the lift is completed by driving the hips through and not by lifting with the legs. you never lift with your legs during any point in the lift and your back should never stay at the same angle. The angle of the back should change at the exact same rate (in an optimal world) as your legs. Because you are driving the hips forward...not doing a squat or a stiff leg dead.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Well, driving the hips through at the end isn't a concern for me so that's not what I'm trying to work on. I said the angle the back makes with the floor stays constant, meaning that as the bar rises your hips should open up too but at a rate that keeps that angle fairly constant at least for the first ~6'' or so of the lift.

By the time the bar gets to your knees, your knees should be getting close to being locked out (ie maybe at a 165-168 degree angle but it will depend on anatomy). If your legs aren't reasonably close to being locked out then the bar has to travel around your knees in a suboptimal (and probably painful) path. So the first part of the lift you should be straightening out your knees to a great degree and as you said your hips will open up as well. The rack squat will simulate this straightening out of the knee but your hips won't be back as far and your torso will be closer to erect than on a deadlift so (I think) you can use more weight.

I was definitely wrong when I said 3/4 of a squat a few posts ago. It should be more like the last 1/3 of the squat for the rack squat.

Anyway, I won't swear by the rack squat because I haven't ever done them, but I know some people that do swear by them.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Pump-up video for tomorrow's strongman training - 400# log press

Rage inducing video to fire up for tomorrow's workout. (Who the **** would do these?)

The second video, that should work for you, I mean I'm pretty pissed right now. Was the guy in the first video using a loop? The lift was ok, but I was more impressed by him lifting his foot off the floor when he had the weight overhead, haha. It's always hilarious when some monster does some ghey little movement. The WSM competitors celebrations are almost always incredibly feminine somehow.

Does it hurt your wrists to clean the log? That lift seems pretty incredible, especially at 21.

Rage inducing video to fire up for tomorrow's workout. (Who the **** would do these?)

I wonder in which podcast they show how to use the Swiss ball to efficiently handle copious amounts of gay c0ck.

You'll be surprised how hard you can work your arms without any weights.
    Yeah, OK, good luck with that buddy.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Does it hurt your wrists to clean the log? That lift seems pretty incredible, especially at 21.
    It's never hurt mine too bad. When he sets it on his knees, some people really aim their hands down toward the ground and use a lot of wrist to roll it up. I actually don't use as much wrist, but a LOT of bicep which has been bothering them. His name is Nick Brugal and he has some other videos on Youtube. He's not as good at other stuff, but for 21 he's pretty amazing. I think the record on the log for anyone of any weight is 440.

If he was using a loop in the belt, after he set the log on his knees, he would have thrust his hips forward slightly to hook the loop under the log which acts as like a third arm coming out of the belly button to help lift the log.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

I wonder in which podcast they show how to use the Swiss ball to efficiently handle copious amounts of gay c0ck.

Yeah, OK, good luck with that buddy.
    Yeah, I like how there is a safety disclaimer at the beginning and some rockin' music in the background to get you fired up.
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Sunday:

log press (1 clean then presses):
    265-2

log cleans without using a loop:
    225-3

tire flips in 60s:

farmer's walk with 190# per hand:
    60 yards

My left arm was bothering me a little too much for the stones. At 265, the log is very hard to catch on your chest after you press it. You either smoke your chin or it falls forward and you have to really lean back and use your biceps to keep it up. I felt like I had another rep in me at 265 but I lost it coming back down to my chest after the 2nd one.

It was lower 50's today for the workout and it seems much harder to grip the rubber on the tire in this weather. This really gets my heart going.

Nice workout Big Dog. You should tell your GF about that. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of someone thinking that she would call you Big Dog, assuming she has a good personality and would never in her right mind call you something like that.
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.

Damn beast!!! 525lb deadlift, now thats what I am talking about!:dl:
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Nice workout Big Dog. You should tell your GF about that. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of someone thinking that she would call you Big Dog, assuming she has a good personality and would never in her right mind call you something like that.
    I told her and she was said "I would never call you that...." but thought that it was funny. Thanks Alex and UNC. Next week I'll try heavy singles on the log. 285 must fall :clean:

Similar Forum Threads

1. my training log strongman/powerlifting
    By jrhutton in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 04:13 AM
  2. Beelze training log
    By Beelzebub in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 2315
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
  3. Dunimous Training Log
    By dunimous in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10