Negative Volume: SPLocal's Training Log

SPLocal

Awards
Welcome

It's been about 3 years since I last posted on AM.
In that time, I largely transitioned away from bodybuilding, prohormones, and extensive supplementation.
I also graduated from college, secured a full-time job, and entered the "working world" in earnest.

I've had recourse to many tools over the years with regards to training support: family, friends, girlfriends, training partners, journals.
After my decision to abandon prohormones/bodybuilding, I stepped away from online logs as I felt my presence there would be counterproductive to the mental disposition I held towards training.

I've decided to log a very short training run to see if this sort of accountability can assist me the way it has in the past.
The deadline for this run will be August 11th, when I head to Washington for the Migration Fest heavy metal festival.

Training

Over the past 3 years, I have made forays into amateur/recreational powerlifting.

I have competed in four USPA raw meets so far. The results are as follows:
2013 - Central California Open - 1179 @ 188 lbs (351 Wilks)
2014 - RAF Open - 1201 @ 189 lbs (356 Wilks)
2015 - LA Open -1179 @ 190 lbs (349 Wilks)
2016 - California State Championships - 1251 @ 178 lbs (384 Wilks)

As these results indicate, there has been much fluctuation and inconsistency in my meet testing abilities.
I believe it would be fair to say that things "clicked" somewhat during the California State Championships.

The 2013-2015 totals are indicative of the extent to which I was still "sorting out" my goals and training methodologies.
2013 also marked the last year of my prohormone use, so I am pleased to have made largely forward progress without any assistance.

The training style for this log will be a heavily modified version of the GZCL template.
I have past experience with Wendler's 5/3/1 variants and Jonnie Candito's training platforms.
Bodybuilding approaches to assistance lifts will be evident, but the barbells will be handled with strength in mind.

My only goals for this run will be to set repetition PRs and trim bodyfat or experience some degree of recomposition.
I have not yet decided as to whether I want to pursue my next meet as a 181lb lifter.

I currently weigh ~190-195 lbs depending on water/waste retention.
My "known" maxes are the 429.82 (squat), 281.04 (bench) and 540.04 (deadlift) lifts from my 1250.9 total in March 2016.

I will try to post pictures / videos if possible, I know that it keeps the readership interested.
I train at a low-quality commercial gym and do not have access to some of the specialized equipment that others have: barbells and dumbbells will be the bulk of my arsenal here.

With regards to supplementation, I have used Citadel Nutrition's Tier One + as my sole supplementation for the past 2 years.
If I deem it necessary, I sometimes use PES Alphamine to moderate my appetite while at work.

Conclusion

I am sure AM has changed quite a bit in the past 3 years, and I know I'm quite out-of-touch with the latest trends.
I hope that this training log can keep me focused and diligent, while providing interesting dialogue and/or though for the readership.
If anyone is interested in following and providing their opinions / support, it is much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

-SPLocal

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day One

Week One: Day 1

Bodyweight: 189 lbs

BB Row: 205 x 10, 205 x 10, 205 x 10, 205 x 10
(MRS: 10, Double Overhand Grip, No Straps)

Pullups: BW x 10, BW x 10, BW x 10, BW x10
(MRS: 10, Neutral Grip, No Straps)

EZ-Bar Curl: 55 x 10, 55 x 10, 55 x 10, 55 x10
(MRS: 10)

DB Row: 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 12
(No Straps)

Cable Upright Row: 100 lbs x 50

DB Hammer Curl: 25 lbs x 50

It looks like we are off to a decent start. I am pleased with the way things moved today and the MRS concept will be useful for moderating linear increases in intensity for these lifts as the run continues. Having a "pull specific" day differs from GZCL protocol but it is something that has served me well during my training career. I believe it does wonders for overall musculature and strength development as well.

Here is an image of back, pumped but without flexing. I lost touch with posing when I transitioned away from bodybuilding.

Lat Progress June 1st (2).jpg

Album of the Day

Just to keep something "fresh" with each post, I'll try to maintain an "album of the day" section. Here you will see whatever album has drawn my attention during the day, along with my favorite track. I will attach album art for your reference.

Today's album of the day is Pissgrave - Suicide Euphoria.
It is wanton hatred and filth condensed into death metal form. My favorite track is "The Second Sorrowful Mystery".
Pissgrave-Suicide-Euphoria.jpg

Subbed, let the good times roll
Thank you for the support!

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day Two

Week One: Day 2

Bench Press: 255 x 4, 255 x 4, 255 x 7
(85% of TM)

Supplementary Bench Press: 225 x 6, 225 x 6, 225 x 6, 225 x 6
(80% of TM)

DB Bench: 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12
(MRS: 12)

Dips: BW x 50

DB Lateral Raises: 25 x 50

Today's benching was decent; I felt flat for most of the session but managed to meet base volume demands for the 85% range of my press.
I've had consistent difficulty with paused benching during my meets, and during my last meet I missed my second attempt at 280 due to a slight dip in bar path during lockout. I took the 280 attempt again and succeeded, but I believe I can press more.

I will be trying to balance paused and touch-and-go repetitions with my "supplementary" benching during this run.

Album of the Day

Today's Album of the Day is Crowbar - Sonic Excess in Its Purest Form. I've seen Crowbar twice thus far and had the opportunity to meet Kirk and the rest of the current band membership--they were all very friendly and left me with good memories and autographs. My favorite track here is "Suffering Brings Wisdom". This album is a sludge metal classic, however, and every track is thunderous.
Crowbar-Sonic-Excess-In-Its-Purest-Form.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Days Three, Four, and Five

Week One: Day 3

Bodyweight: 190 lbs

Deadlift: 435 x 4, 435 x 4, 435 x 7
(85% of TM)

Squat: 310 x 6, 310 x 6, 310 x 6, 310 x 6
(75% of TM)

Goblet Squat: 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 12

Hyperpextension: BW x 50

Week One: Day 4

Bodyweight: 190 lbs

BB Row: 205 x 10, 205 x 10, 205 x 10, 205 10

Pull-Ups: BW x 10, BW x 10, BW x 10, BW x 10

BB Curl: 50 x 10, 50 x 10, 50 x 10, 50 x 10

DB Row: 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12

HS Upright Row: 100 x 50

DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 50

Week One: Day Five

Paused Bench: 255 x 4, 255 x 4, 255 x 4
(85% of TM)

Volume Bench: 240 x 5, 240 x 5, 240 x 5, 240 x 5
(80% of TM)

Floor Press: 210 x 6, 210 x 6, 210 x 6, 210 x 6
(75% of TM)

DB Bench Press: 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12, 80 x 12

Dips: BW x 50

DB Lateral Raises: 25 x 50

Training has gone decently this week, I am glad to have lowered my TM's to ensure that all percentage work is met.
I am looking forward to tomorrow's squat session and the subsequent rest day.

For reference, my training maxes are as follows:

Squat: 410 (vs 430 meet PR)
Bench: 300 (vs 280 meet PR -- I am trying to push myself on this)
Deadlift: 510 (vs 540 meet PR)

Album of the Day(s)

The album of the day for the past few sessions has been Ritual Chamber - Obscurations: To Feast on the Seraphim. At first listen, the overall sound is thick and aptly described as "cavernous". With each subsequent spin, however, the quality of the riffwork here becomes more and more evident. Since purchasing this album shortly after it was released, I have listened to it on a near daily basis. I don't quite have the words to describe it, but you should check it out! My favorite tracks are "Toward a Malignant Bliss", "Void Indoctrination", and the "As Dust and The Animal".
Ritual-Chamber-Obscurations.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day Six + Illness

Week One: Day Six (6/6)

Squat: 350 x 4, 350 x 4, 350 x 7
(85% of TM)

Deficit Deadlift: 385 x 6, 385 x 6, 385 x 6, 385 x 6
(75% of TM)

During this session I began to feel very "off" and short of breath. I called it after completing the secondary movement and went home to rest and sleep. This soon transitioned into a case of gastroenteritis (stomach flu) which has put me down and out since Monday night.

As of this post, I have lost ~10 lbs and have only been able to stomach small amounts of fluids and soft carbohydrates (toast, bananas, etc).

I'll be returning to work tomorrow but will likely take another day or two off of training to ensure that I'm rested enough to perform at least deload-type training for a week or so before beginning to bridge the weights back up.

SPLocal

Awards
Moving Forward

After returning to work today (and surviving), I opted to train the deadlift/squat lightly and assess my condition.

I weighed in at ~181-182 lbs this morning, but there has been a significant loss of muscle/glycogen and fat/water from my frame. I do indeed look ~10 lbs lighter and turned a few heads among the regular gym crew, most of whom inquired as to what I had been sick with.

Still, in a way to treat this as an opportunity rather than a setback, here is my plan for forward progress:

-Continue to program primary lift repetition / percentage schemes per GZCL principles
-Lower training maxes to the following numbers:
Squat: 400 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs (I'm going to continue to push this until it becomes an issue)
Deadlift: 500 lbs
-Maintain a moderate caloric surplus to begin to put weight back onto my frame
-Reduce volume on Tier 3 lifts to involve some heavier loads (i.e. switching from MRS-12 to straight-weight MRS-10)
-Reduce training to 5 days weekly to accommodate a gradual increase in intensity

I touched 80% on both the deadlift (~400) and squat (~320) today for 4 x 4 with each movement.
I completed all repetitions without any major issues, but deadlifts were definitely sluggish and I did not adequately "wake up" my posterior chain despite my usual warmup regiment. Squats were surprisingly spry given how flat I am feeling. I had no issues staying tight throughout the movements.

I will do a brief bench / back session tomorrow and assess how my upper body is feeling. I'm sure my bench has taken a hit given that it suffers immediately with weight loss, but as long as I'm patient I will have no problem returning to my previous numbers.

Thanks to anyone who is following and/or reading up on this log.

I see the views counter going up so I know at least a few folks are checking in -- it is helping with my logging motivations and is appreciated.

Edit and Update: Bench Session

Bench testing went well today, and I worked up to 80% for 4/4/6 so the dent is not as significant as I believed it would be. I will maintain the 300 lbs TM for this lift and continue to push forward.

I will take tomorrow off and resume my basic training on Monday.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Day One

Week Two: Day 1

Deadlift: 425 x 4, 425 x 4, 425 x 7
(85% of TM)

Deficit Deadlifts: 405 x 5, 405 x 5, 405 x 5, 405 x 5
(80% of TM)

Squat: 320 x 5, 320 x 5, 320 x 5, 320 x 5
(80% of TM)

I'm glad that I was able to push through the lifts today, but I'm frustrated with the loss of size / endurance that this illness brought.

Bitching won't make me stronger, though. I'll have to take things one step at a time and turn this into an opportunity.

I think its a smart move to continue to work in the 80 - 85 % range for the Big 3 lifts as much as is possible -- including with my Tier 2 work.

Once my body is back at full operating capacity, I'll begin to bring back in more extensive Tier 3 and volume work.

Album of the Day

Today's album of the day is Crowbar - Time Heals Nothing, which is Crowbar's third album and in my opinion the best of their early tier work. Although there are undisputed wrecking balls album's predecessor Crowbar, this album always spoke to me on a grander level because of the tracks "A Perpetual Need", "The Only Factor", and (my favorite) "No More Can We Crawl". There is a sense of confrontational attitude on this album that I don't believe was replicated with the middle tier of albums and only recently came back into Crowbar's lyrical realm on the Sever the Wicked Hand LP. The production is a bit "dry" but this album's attitude more than makes up for it.
CROWBAR-TIME-HEALS-NOTHING.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Day Two

Week Two: Day 2

Bench Press: 255 x 4, 255 x 4, 255 x 4
(85% of TM)

Extra Bench Work: 240 x 5, 240 x 5, 240 x 5, 240 x 5
(80% of TM)

DB Bench: 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10
Lateral Raise: 25 x 50

Pull-Ups: BW x 6, BW x 6, BW x 6, BW x 6

DB Row: 70 x 8, 70 x 8, 70 x 8, 70 x 8
DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 50

I have mixed feelings about today's session; I'm pleased with being able to hit my required repetitions but I did feel a bit winded towards the last set and opted not to push for the AMRAP. Overall I'm still feeling quite "flat" and my lat work took a significant hit from all aspects -- things moved slowly, felt awkward, and pump was minimal. I'll continue to push this as I know my lat training schemes are effective for strength / size gains, but I'm sure they require a bit more of me than my body can provide as of yet. Hopefully as I get back into a hydrated state and a caloric surplus I'll feel more powerful with this area.

Album of the Day

Today's album of the day is Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind. I listen to this on a regular basis and it is easily one of the most viscerally punishing, hate-inducing, and neck-snapping death metal albums of all time. From the opener "Boiled Angel" to "Lashed to the Grinder and Stoned to Death", this album gives no quarter. This is daily listening, and I'll be seeing DIS (and Primitive Man) at the Complex in July.
Dragged Into Sunlight.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Image Update

Just a quick post, weighed in around ~184lbs this morning.
I figured it would be interesting to compare it to the image from when I began this log.

My back is neither flexed nor pumped in this image -- not that it adds much of a difference.

For the record, those white spots on my hair are grime on the mirror behind me.

Lat Progress June 16th (2).jpg

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Very cool log you've got here brother. I just caught up on it. Your back is ****ing huge. Putting up good numbers for sure.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day One

Week Three: Updates and Changes

My apologies for the late update on this log. I spent the weekend in San Diego eating plenty of food and attempting to relax in the heat. I managed to get training sessions in on Friday (6-17) and Saturday (6-18) where I touched my squat numbers at 85% and bench at 85% -- 340 and 255, respectively.

Although the weights did not move as quickly as they have in the past, I felt that my energy was coming back and I was beginning to get a better pump response to the T3 work as well. This was a good sign, which I promptly followed up by eating pizza, omelettes, and all manner of protein bars. My weight has fluctuated between 185 and 188 (plenty of water/waster accumulation at this point) but I'm starting to feel "normal" again and confident about my path forward.

Having spent roughly x2 weeks now with attempts to work the 85-80% TM range per GZCL principles, I have a better idea of where my strength is "secure" and where I need a bit more time to comfortably jump back into the swing of things.

Working the 85% range with my squat and deadlift has not been a problem, but I'll be taking the bench TM back to 280 for a cycle or so to put more time in with the 240lbs range. I've been able to work up to 255 for 6, but they've been a bit slower than I'm comfortable with.

To take advantage of this "reset" in pressing, I'll also be working in some OHP and Slingshot bench work per GZCL recommendations and set to the same progression standards as the squat and deadlift.

Now with all of that out of the way, I'm please to write that today's session went well and that I feel I am back "back to normal" with my lifting.

Week Three: Day One

Deadlift: 425 x 5, 425 x 5, 425 x 5
(85% of TM)

Squat: 320 x 6, 320 x 6, 320 x 6, 320 x 6
(80% of TM)

HS Hack Squat: 200 x 10, 200 x 10, 200 x 10
BB Deficit Deadlift: 325 x 10, 325 x 10, 325 x 10
Hyperextension: 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10
Calf Raises: 60 x 10, 60 x 10, 60 x 10

Energy stores were firing at all levels today, I'm pleased with the amount of work I was able to complete beyond my required T1/T2 work. This is my first time incorporating the Hack Squat into my training since my bodybuilding days -- and it kicked my ass. Since moving away from bodybuilding I've largely been a "squat/deadlift and go home" trainee with my leg training, but I'll be attempting to change this over the next few weeks.

Very cool log you've got here brother. I just caught up on it. Your back is ****ing huge. Putting up good numbers for sure.
Thank you for the support; I'm hoping to get my lats back up to speed as they were in the first picture. It will take a bit of time but with consistency it is just a matter of "when" rather than "if".

Album of the Day

Today's session was fueled by Vastum - Hole Below, which is a ****ing filthy slab of no-frills death metal which plods along and pummels the listener with the subtlety of a spiked bat to the skull. I'm beyond excited to be able to see Vastum in August at Migration Fest, and find myself pulling their card whenever I need to drown out the world (i.e. during pulls) or drown myself in a festering pit of riffs. My favorite tracks are Aminosis and Hole Below.
Vastum-Hole-Below.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day Three

Week Three: Day 3

Bodyweight: ~186

Bench Press: 240 x 5, 240 x 5, 240 x 5
(85% of TM)

Overhead Press: 115 x 6, 115 x 6, 115 x 6, 115 x 6
(75% of TM)

DB Bench: 70 x 40 Repetitions Total
HS Lateral Raise: 20 x 40 Repetitions Total

Pull-Ups: BW x 5, BW x 5, BW x 5, BW x 5
DB Row: 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10

DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 40 Repetitions Total
Upright Row: 100 x 40 Repetitions Total

Today's session was decent, I had no problems with pressing and it felt good to bring some OHP work back into the routine.

In light of the recent weight loss, I'd like to move forward by incorporating lower intensity, and higher volume back training into my regiment. I'll be training my lats 3x a week (the same as my pressing movements) until things are back up to speed. For now, I'm being conservative with pull-up and row work -- barbell rows will be removed to avoid aggravating some tennis elbow pains I received during the first week of this log.

Album of the Day
Today's album of the day is Prosanctus Inferi - Noctambulous Jaws Within Semipiternal Night, which is a heavily blackened work of death metal with aggressive and twisted riffing. I can't really describe it much further than that, but its fu.cking evil and you should listen to it. Once you're done, force your parents, grandparents, and any surviving kin you have to listen to it. If they can't dig it, get rid of them and find new ones.
Prosanctus-Inferi.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Days Four and Five

Week Three: Day Four

BB OHP: 130 x 5, 130 x 5, 130 x 5, 130 x 5
(85% of TM - 150 lbs)

BB Bench: 225 x 6, 225 x 6, 225 x 6, 225 x 6
(80% of TM)

DB Bench: 80 x 40 Repetitions Total
DB Lateral Raise: 20 x 40 Repetitions Total

DB Row: 80 x 40 Repetitions Total
Pull-Ups: BW x 20 Repetitions Total
DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 40 Repetitions Total
HS Cable Upright Row: 100 x 40 Repetitions Total

Week Three: Day Five

BB Squat: 340 x 5, 340 x 5, 340 x 5
(85% of TM)

BB Deficit Deadlift: 400 x 6, 400 x 6, 400 x 6, 400 x 6
(80% of TM)

Hack Squat: 200 x 10, 220 x 10, 240 x 10, 250 x 10
Hyperextensions: BW x 40 Repetitions Total
Seated Calf Raise: 60 x 40 Repetitions Total

The past two sessions went well, aside from minor flare-ups with my tendonitis. I'm looking into buying a compression cuff to assist with keeping the agitation down, along with continuing to moderate the weights I move.

I'm confident moving forward into the 90% range, and I'll continue to keep the OHP as a primary lift to give me my bench more time to ease back into the heavier loads.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Days One and Two

Week Four: Day One

BB Bench: 255 x 5, 255 x 5, 255 x 5
(90% of TM)

BB OHP: 120 x 6, 120 x 6, 120 x 6, 120 x 6
(80% of TM)

DB Lateral Raise: 25 x 40 Repetitions Total

Week Four: Day Two

BB Deadlift: 450 x 5, 450 x 5, 450 x 5
(90% of TM)

BB Squat: 340 x 6, 340 x 6, 340 x 6, 340 x 6
(85% of TM)

Hack Squat: 230 x 30 Repetitions Total
Hyperextension: 25 x 30 Repetitions Total
Donkey Calf Raise: 70 x 30 Repetitions Total

It's good to be back in the saddle, although today's secondary Squats were exhausting after my pulls. I'm looking forward to the rest of this week and next weeks work in the 95% range.

With the earlier illness, my primary lift training has more or less progressed in the following way:
Week One: Primaries at 85%, with an AMRAP during the final set
Week Two: Primaries at 80%, with no AMRAP
Week Three: Primaries at 85%, straight sets of 3 x 5 (no failures/misses)
Week Four: Primaries at 90%, straight sets of 3 x 5 (no failures/misses...so far)
Week Five: Planned to have primaries at 95%, repetition ranges TBD

So far, the 3 x 5 range is facilitating my recovery with handling heavier percentages. It isn't exactly GZCL compliant but given the recent turbulence my current goal is just to recover my work capacity to eventually work GZCL-compliant set/rep ranges effectively.

Thanks to everyone who has been checking and/or reading along so far.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Days Three, Four, and Five

Week Four: Day 3

BB OHP: 135 x 5, 135 x 5, 135 x 5
(90% of TM)

BB Bench Press: 225 x 6, 226 x 6, 225 x 6, 225 x 6
(80% of TM)

BB Pull-Ups: BW x 8, BW x 8, BW x 8, BW x 8
DB Row: 80 x 50 Repetitions Total
DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 50 Repetitions Total

Week Four: Day 4

BB Bench: 250 x 5, 250 x 5, 250 x 5
(90% of TM)

BB OHP: 120 x 6, 120 x 6, 120 x 6, 120 x 6
(80% of TM)

Pull-Ups (Neutral Grip): BW x 8, BW x 8, BW x 8, BW x 8
DB Row: 70 x 50 Repetitions Total
DB Hammer Curl: 25 x 50 Repetitions Total

Week Four: Day Five

BB Squat: 360 x 5, 360 x 5, 360 x 5
(90% of TM)

BB Deficit Deadlift: 425 x 6, 425 x 6, 425 x 6, 425 x 6
(85% of TM)

Hack Squat: 200 x 40 Repetitions
Hyperextensions: BW x 50 Repetitions

Just checking in briefly as I enjoy the extended weekend. The major highlight of this week's training were my squats and ability to maintain form and strength for a 15-rep volume total. I was a bit anxious about the scheduled lift as it is my first time truly touching heavier percentages since the illness, but things went well.

In the interest of keeping the progress steady, I'll be attempting the bulk of my primary lifts next week at 93%. I believe I will continue to defer TM repetition max testing for several more weeks in order to build strength with my base volumes.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Five: Day One

Week Five: Day 1

Deadlift: 465 x 5, 465 x 5, 465 x 5
(93% of TM)

Squat: 350 x 6, 350 x 6, 350 x 6, 350 x 6
(87% of TM)

Hack Squat: 200 x 40 Repetitions Total
Hyperextensions: BW x 40 Repetitions Total
Calf Raise: 80 x 40 Repetitions Total

Today's session was challenging but productive. Ive yet to miss any lifts during this log and am please that my body is becoming accustomed ti handling the higher T2 percentages after my primary work. I'll have an idea by the end of the week as to whether next week's T1 work will be performed in the 87%, 93%, or 95% range. I'd like to handle the 87-93% loads a bit more often before heading into the 95% range--but there's quite a bit of recovery needed for these session and my body may signal that it needs to rest more. I will be playing it by ear, but the past few weeks have seen successful linear load increases for all lifts.