5/3/1 triumvirate

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Current stats:
6' 170 lbs (that's going up steadily)
~12% bf give or take
I'm on week two of the conventional 5/3/1 so this is the three by three week.

Diet:
.5 serving Serious Mass (love this stuff) (625 calories)
16 ounces whole milk (300 calories)
Go to gym
Post workout
.5 serving Serious Mass (625 calories)
Sausage egg and cheese bagel (560 calories)

Lunch:
1 footling Italian herb and cheese chicken enchilada melt at subway (1,180 calories)

Workout:
Warm up Overhead Press
50x5
60x5
70x3

85x3
95x3
115x9 (rep record)

5x15 dips
5x10 pull ups

I know the numbers aren't impressive in the least. But I'm working my way back up, that's the price I pay for taking six months off.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Couldn't post on Tuesday, but today is Thursday and that means it's Bench Press Day.

My diet was pretty straight forward, lots of food.
A protein shake. And a few glasses of milk

Bench warm up:
5x70
5x90
3x110

Bench work sets:
3x125
3x145
10x160
10 really clean reps, unfortunately I couldn't get 12, and I won't count rep 11. It wasn't as clean. And I stopped a good 4 inches above my chest.

Dumbbell bench:
15x30
15x40
15x50 (3 sets of this)
Really good pump when I was done.
Around 90 sec rest, occasionally 2 min

Dumbbell row:
10x80 (5 sets of this)
Really clean and smooth. And a great pump.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. 9 and 10 reps on a 3's week is good.

You should check out his book, Beyond 5/3/1.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
My goal is to get to that. But I'm working on getting back to 190 something pounds. Currently my 1 rep bench is 195
Squat is 325
Dead lift is 365
And overhead press is 135

I want to get to a 225 Overhead press
A 300 lb bench
A 400 squat
And a 500 dead lift

Other than the 225 overhead press these aren't lifts i haven't celebrated before but it's been a while since I really focused on the numbers.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you get to your 225 OHP, you're gonna be looking at something more in the range of a 365 bench, my friend. Get that bodyweight to keep climbing to up around 210 and you'll have a shot at your goals. 3/4/5 are the accepted numbers that pretty much everyone of average size can get to natty. Solid goals, just stick to the plan and you'll be hitting them soon enough.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Thanks man, didn't consider the added weight on the bench, I'll reassess my goals

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man, didn't consider the added weight on the bench, I'll reassess my goals
I'm just saying, 225 OHP will be the toughest of your goals to reach, as I believe it's the rarest feat out of all of those. For example, I've pressed 225 overhead, and I've benched 385, squatted 550, and deadlifted 550.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Yeah I know 225 is a push, and for all I know I won't be able to make it, but I'm going to die trying lol

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you get to your 225 OHP, you're gonna be looking at something more in the range of a 365 bench, my friend. Get that bodyweight to keep climbing to up around 210 and you'll have a shot at your goals. 3/4/5 are the accepted numbers that pretty much everyone of average size can get to natty. Solid goals, just stick to the plan and you'll be hitting them soon enough.

Yeah, I would agree with that entire post right there.

If I can ask dmmcclair, how tall are you?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
I'm 6' 1". Currently im sitting at about 175 something.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 6' 1". Currently im sitting at about 175 something.

Alright, so @ 6' 1" you are most likely built or have better leverages for pulling with the longer limbs.
Certainly a #225 OHP/PP/PJ is quite nice IMO and again might agree with Herd on the BP power and your OHP power ratios.
Just sayin'

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Oh okay thank you. I really stress good form. I was actually training with someone briefly and he had learned squat form from the six pack shortcut guy on Facebook. He was doing quarter squats and counting them as full range.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MANdrew Training Forum 10