5/3/1 Triumvirate

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Here's the deal. I recently got out of the hospital from a disease that almost ended my life. In 6 weeks, I lost 25 pounds and a metric **** ton of strength. I went from ~170lbs at 5'5" to ~145 pounds with sweats on. Today was my first day back in the gym in a long time- I had been doing PHAT, and I saw wonderful results. I was strong, I had low bodyfat, and a pretty decent physique. But seeing how weak I got after this hit me hard. I don't care how big I am, I don't care what I look like. I just want to be the strongest mofo in the room. Today I struggled to deadlift 405 with straps, something I repped 10-12 times before. I struggled to squat 3 plates for one rep, and I barely benched 225 for 3 reps. So I'm going back to my high school coach's favorite thing on earth- 5/3/1. I'm not concerned about diet, I'm doing the "see food" diet. If it comes in front of my face, it's mine. I'm supplementing with a SARM and a mild test booster that contains 5-androst, which is controversial, I know, but it's all I can do right now. Here's my question- assistance exercises. What do you think about this-

Monday
Press
Bench press
Dips

Tuesday
Deadlift
Squat
Cleans

Thursday
Bench press
Press
Incline press

Friday
Squat
Deadlift
Cleans

Please, if you have any kind of opinion on this, help me out. I want to get on that platform and break bars.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was in your position 8 years ago. I lost 100 pounds and was 94 pounds in ICU. I highly suggest you gain back weight without lifting right now.. You're probably still fairly compromised and may hve lost a lot of muscle / connective tissue... The addition of heavy training my stress you beyond your ability to recover. Don't rush, take your time and go easy... I have many joint and tissue injuries now bc I rushed back and gained weight too quickly

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I was in your position 8 years ago. I lost 100 pounds and was 94 pounds in ICU. I highly suggest you gain back weight without lifting right now.. You're probably still fairly compromised and may hve lost a lot of muscle / connective tissue... The addition of heavy training my stress you beyond your ability to recover. Don't rush, take your time and go easy... I have many joint and tissue injuries now bc I rushed back and gained weight too quickly
Good to hear you made it and came back though, man. And believe me- I completely understand the point you're making. That's why I like the 5/3/1 program. It's slow, steady progression over a long period of time. As for the gaining weight part- I'm eating so much food, it's like thanksgiving every day for me. Definitely a big change from chicken and rice!

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear you made it and came back though, man. And believe me- I completely understand the point you're making. That's why I like the 5/3/1 program. It's slow, steady progression over a long period of time. As for the gaining weight part- I'm eating so much food, it's like thanksgiving every day for me. Definitely a big change from chicken and rice!
Definitely.

Why don't you focus on the standard setup you have then before u add assistance. See how you feel after 1-2 cycles then maybe look into the periodization bible which adds in quite a bit of bodybuiiding assistance work.. Focus on form right now and getting your base weight back!

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Definitely. Why don't you focus on the standard setup you have then before u add assistance. See how you feel after 1-2 cycles then maybe look into the periodization bible which adds in quite a bit of bodybuiiding assistance work.. Focus on form right now and getting your base weight back!
Not a bad idea. Standard setup being something like Boring But Big? I don't own the book, so when you say "standard" I'm a little shaky on the definition.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not a bad idea. Standard setup being something like Boring But Big? I don't own the book, so when you say "standard" I'm a little shaky on the definition.
Well what you have written in your original post looks good but check out strength standards . Com it gives u several easy to follow templates and calculates your % for u too

http://www.strstd.com/

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Well what you have written in your original post looks good but check out strength standards . Com it gives u several easy to follow templates and calculates your % for u too http://www.strstd.com/
There we go. Thanks a lot, that puts it all into perspective! Now I don't need to spend time calculating and thinking. Man, I love the internet.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don't have any rowing movements in there. And why the cleans if you don't mind my asking?

My suggestion:
Deadlift
RDL
Lunges

Bench
Press assistance
Horizontal row

Squat
Good Mornings
Lunges

OHP
Press assistance
Vertical pull

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
You don't have any rowing movements in there. And why the cleans if you don't mind my asking? My suggestion: Deadlift RDL Lunges Bench Press assistance Horizontal row Squat Good Mornings Lunges OHP Press assistance Vertical pull
You're right, I don't. I didn't think of that. But I like cleans- I've found they really help my deadlift and my squat from the explosive movement. When you say lunges- what do you mean? Just bodyweight, higher reps? Or barbell walking lunges?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about we call it a unilateral leg movement, and we can cover everything: Stepups, Bulgarian Split Squats, Traveling lunges, Rear lunges ect

Vary them by weight, rep, dumbell, barbell (front held or back)

I think besides the meat and potato lifts, unilateral work makes big and healthy legs.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
How about we call it a unilateral leg movement, and we can cover everything: Stepups, Bulgarian Split Squats, Traveling lunges, Rear lunges ect Vary them by weight, rep, dumbell, barbell (front held or back) I think besides the meat and potato lifts, unilateral work makes big and healthy legs.
Big and healthy legs. Everyone could use a pair of those! Thanks man. How's this look to you-

Monday
Press
Bench press
Barbell row

Tuesday
Deadlift
Squat
Unilateral leg movement

Thursday
Bench press
Assistance pressing movement
Weighted pull-ups

Friday
Squat
RDL
Unilateral leg movement

I chose weighted pull-ups because I can do way too many unassisted pull-ups for 5x10 to actually do something. Do you think I should change those to rowing instead because of that, or keep them weighted?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dmmcclair Workout Logs 13