bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

Page 3 of 100 First 12345 ... Last

1. yeah thanks man. 5/3/1 is great. nice simple layout. i wrote up a quick excel sheet and got pretty much the next 6 months or so all planned out for my main lifts.

gonna go bench in little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfexO6L8lo

watched this Brandon Lilly video this morning after stretching and foamrolling. its the truth right there. NOTHING beats hard work.

2. Cycle 2 Week 1 Day B

today was a great day in the gym for me. felt good going in. bar speed was great. focus was great.

warm-up
    stretching (quads, hams, chest, lats)
    foam rolling (IT band, inner thigh, hams, lower back)

bench press
    warm up - barx5 95x5 135x3
    work sets - 155x5 165x5 175x12
    boring but big - 125x5x10

db rows
    50,55,60,65,70 x 12

overhand and underhand band pull-a-parts SS
    2x12 each way

notes
    felt strong again today on bench. honestly i think my bench is set a bit light... we will see after this cycle. i might go up by 10 lbs instead of 5 for the next cycle. its hard to keep solid technique on long sets. i am kinda loose on the first 6-7 reps. then i start pulling the bar apart hard and using leg drive.. i increased my boring but big sets by 10 lbs for today. it was a little more challenging.
    •   

3. That's a good idea, if you're getting more than 10 reps I don't see any reason why you can't increase a little more for 1 cycle.

It's always better to start low and bust through your old PR's but you might've set it too low

4. Be careful of that though. I know guys that bumped up too soon and it wrecked them the following cycles. IMO, give it another cycle
    or two, or don't touch a thing. The latter being the best option
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

5. Add 10 instead of 5 this cycle only and always round up. It will catch up fast.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
    •   

6. We'll see.. right now I'm leaning towards adding 10 lbs instead of 5 lb for next cycle.

7. 8-12 reps is typical for 5's week
    [email protected]

8. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    8-12 reps is typical for 5's week
    Good catch, and its only the 2nd cycle

9. Thanks Sean.. I didn't know what was typical.. Should of probably asked that.

10. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Thanks Sean.. I didn't know what was typical.. Should of probably asked that.
    No problem. A lot of people make changes too soon and it effects future cycles. The less you **** it with, the better
    [email protected]

11. Yeah I wanna be able to stay with this program and not mess things up..

Today is a rest day. I'm gonna do some foam rolling and stretching. Hams are quite angry this morning.

12. Cycle 2 week 1 day C

Felt good waking up today. hams and hips were still a bit sore. not to bad though. foam rolled and stretched for about half an hour before hitting the gym. loosened up nicely. got some deadlift footage today. experimented with sumo in warm ups. I'll get a sumo vid next week hopefully.

warm-up
    foamroll (inner thigh, hams, back)
    stretch (hips, hams, quads)

deadlift
    warm-ups - 135x5, 135x5 (sumo), 225x3
    work sets - 250x5 270x5 285x10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce5JNaCTsiY
    boring but big - 185x5x10

decline sit-ups
    6x15

band pull-a-parts SS
    3x15 over 3x15 under

cool down
    foam roll (hams, back)
    stretch (hams, hips)

notes
    this was another good day in the gym. bumped up BBB sets to 185. i try to focus on speed off the ground on deads. I've been bringing my feet closer together and i think that has been helping me a lot. also pointing the toes a bit outward. trying to stay behind the bar. i wish i had someone to scream at me sometimes though, because i like to pop my head up... but im getting better with that though.

13. Work on keeping that back tighter. Looks like it may have potential to round with heavier weights.

Also work on your lockout. You bring your back way far backwards and watch what happens to your knees. They unlock and hinge forwards. Focus on squeezing your glutes as hard as humanly possible and lock your lats down when you lockout. That will prevent you from becoming loose up top.

I like my feet closer as well for conventional. Toes outward a bit will help off the floor, toes forwards will help your lockout via greater hip drive.

Good work man
    [email protected]

14. my lockout isnt really a lock out at this point. i keep on doing a back extension after i get to the top of my lift.. i gotta stop doing that.

ill work on the upper back tightness as well. its easier to stay tighter as the weight gets heavier, just becomes more necessary then.

thanks for the pointers man.

15. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    my lockout isnt really a lock out at this point. i keep on doing a back extension after i get to the top of my lift.. i gotta stop doing that.

ill work on the upper back tightness as well. its easier to stay tighter as the weight gets heavier, just becomes more necessary then.

thanks for the pointers man.
    Nice work dude. Definitely overextending a bit. But Sean made all the right pointers.wished I could help out on form but I'm still figuring out things as well. But Keep it up tho. U made that weight look super light.

16. yeah thanks man. i compared that lift and my week 1 cycle 1 lift and it looked much better, even though i stopped a rep short of what i did that week. the bar speed was faster, my form was better, endurance/work capacity wise I'm much better compared to just 4 weeks ago.

17. Cycle 2 Week 1 day D

nice workout today. shoulder didnt feel the greatest. still a productive workout, OH press day goes really fast so I added a few sets of face pulls at the end.

warm-ups
    broomsticks
    hang cleans/snatches with bar (trying to loosen up shoulder)
    stretching (lats,chest)

OH press
    warm-ups - barx8 95x2x3
    work sets - 115x5 120x5 130x9
    boring but big - 85x5x10

Chin-ups
    5x10

face pulls
    100x3x20

cool down
    stretching (lats,chest)
    shoulder rotations and lateral raises (5 lb plate)

notes
    good work out today, happy with 9 reps on 130. probably my best OHP day so far. shoulder was a little cranky today. face pulls were great, got a nice burn/pump in my upper back and rear delts. probably going to continue doing face pulls at the end of OHP and possibly bench day if time permits. or maybe i will continue hitting band pull-a-parts on bench day and leave face pulls to OHP day. Opinions?

18. Louie on the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9eM55dOJ8

watching some of this today.

19. Late but in on this man!
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

20. Good to have you sir!

today is a rest day.

starting 3s week with squat tomorrow.

first day on my new job monday.. Ill try to get in bench after work. then deads weds and OHP friday.

21. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Good to have you sir!

today is a rest day.

starting 3s week with squat tomorrow.

first day on my new job monday.. Ill try to get in bench after work. then deads weds and OHP friday.
    Good luck on the new job Bro .. Hope it was better then the last one lol

22. As far as the pull aparts, I've been doing the eliteFTS series at least every workout day. Hit the rear delts with weight once or twice a week as well. I usually do it as part of warmup as far as bands go for pull aparts.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

23. Hah thanks man. The new job should be great, it's my first "real job" haha.. I graduated engineering school in may. Took sometime to find something but I'm happy I did. Got me out of working in retail.

I really need to get my own band to do the pull-a-parts with. And do them when I'm not in the gym because I usually don't have time.. Probably bands along with some chucks and a lifting belt in the next month.

24. Cycle 2 Week 2 day A

nice solid work out today. got a squat vid.

warm-ups
    stretching (hams, and hips)
    practicing walk-outs
    v-sit to roll out

squats
    warm-ups - barx8 135x5 185x3
    work sets - 210x3 225x3 240x7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uke0mDXJTfE
    boring but big - 135x10 145x5x10

Good Mornings
    125x5x10

cool down
    stretching (hips, hams)
    v-sits to roll out
    i cut the grass too. push mower. about 30 min. lol. (what i call cardio)

notes
    good work day today. wanted 6 reps on 240 pushed out a 7th. my knees are bouncing at the top of my squat.. i have no idea why. i really can't even feel it.. weird. depth felt good, back felt good. feel really stable without the nikes on. the GMs killed the hams today. my form on those is getting better, really trying to keep a tight arch in the back and focus on moving the weight with my hams and glutes. really starting to feel those. i do those barefoot as well.

25. Lookin good man. Work on pushing your knees outwards a bit more to reduce the forward lean. Looking great though. Nice tight back the entire time
    [email protected]

26. Looking good, squats I mean

27. Thanks guys. Yeah I gotta try to force the knees out a bit more. I'm improving weekly on squats though, I like what I'm seeing so far.

28. Strong lifts man.

GL with your first day, hope it goes well. I know how the first couple of weeks can be, just relocated recently for a new position. Lots of training and adjusting to the new routine. Make sure you keep up with your lifting...you're making great progress.

29. Cycle 2 Week 2 Day B

Good first day at the office, only worked 6 hours today.. bad thing is that most of that time was spent sitting watching videos and filling out papers.. which led to stiff legs and back, it doesnt help that i squated yesterday either. i was out of position on bench pretty bad, my lower back wasnt having it.. couldnt really get the weight on my traps.. got some vid of todays bench effort.

but whatever.

warm-ups
    stretching (shoulders, lats, chest)
    5 lb plate lateral raises

bench press
    warm-ups - barx8, 95x3, 135x3
    work sets - 165x3 175x3 185x8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QECS2EKbg
    boring but big - 125x5x10 (did some closer grips, some wider grips)

db rows
    8x55,65,75,80
    20x80 (kroc style)

face pulls
    100x3x15

band pull-a-parts
    about 40 reps each way (over/under hand)

notes
    Was pretty out of position today on bench. everything felt pretty bad. my previous rep record on 185 was 8 last cycle, i got 8 today. but i was pretty happy to just get those reps. real grinder today. chalked up and did some kroc style rows, that was a blast haha. felt that all throughout the upper back. going to foam roll a lot tonight and stretch the hips and hams. tomorrow is an off day. deads on weds.

30. Nice job bro.but Yea man sitting all day sucks
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
  2. Panther's blowin up with the help of pSARM(SPONSORED)
    By panther77 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
  3. Replies: 261
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
  4. Time to get back in track -- With the help of Havoc.
    By Zombie in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:03 AM