My "Attempt at Westside" Log - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 3

My "Attempt at Westside" Log

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I went with Bayuk, and yes, I was allowed to see the doctor this time. I like Bayuk, he's always been good to me, and he's old enough that he was taught to be a healer, not a drug dealer. I'm okay with him being against weight training, he probably has to treat a lot of bozos who use bad form. He also mentioned being against football for the knee injuries, baseball for the shoulder problems, etc. I can respect that, but if we each had avoided all of those things, he would have had to treat the residual effects of boredom-related suicide attempts.

2. New Member

He prescribes a complete sedentary lifestyle. ,, in all honestly he is a great doc. Extremely smart.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Oh, for sure. That's what I like about him. And if I ever get poison ivy, I just walk in, tell him I have it bad, and he gives me my prednisone. He's seen me with it often enough to know that I know when I need it.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Speedy recovery brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Hurry up and get better so I can see your Cube sessions!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I'm gonna be Cubing so hard, man. It's gonna be ridiculous.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Just got done with physical therapy. Got evaluated, need to stretch hams and hip flexors (which everyone who saw my squat video knew already).

The important thing is that she cleared me to lift!

(Brb benching real quick)
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Good to hear man. Now get liftin'
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/7 DE Bench

Bench
    225x3x8

JM Press
    135x15x3

Chest Supported BB Row
    135x12x3

Side/Rear/Front DB Raise SS Standing High Pulley Row
    25x12/90x20
    25x12/130x20
    25x12/130x20

Standing Cable Crunch
    90x12x3

Today was solo in my shed. Benches were slow due to poor warmup and a ****ty bench (high, wobbly, narrow, and the built-in arch messes with MY arch). I expected to get more reps with the JMs, but lactic acid got the better of me. The rest of the session was designed to protect my back. The high pulley rows (Vogelphol Rows?) were new. They felt good. Glad to be back. Squat and deadlift days this upcoming week will be with an empty bar. 5 gallon bucket squats and light duty rack pulls.
    Training log:
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/9 Body Day

Press (heels together, locked knees, no layback)
    135x12,10,8

RFE BB Split Squat
    135x8x3 each leg

DB SLDL (knees locked again, knuckles to shoelaces)
    45(each hand)x8x3

Furniture Slider Bodysaw
    BWx12,8,8

Hard to believe I've lost this much pressing strength and general endurance after one week off.

Did this workout immediately after my corrective exercises to be loose. This simple light workout really kicked my ass. Hard to keep up cardio-wise. I'll probably lose some weight just from training at a better pace on my own.

The only things I went balls out on were presses and split squats. 135lb split squats would probably be what I'd do healthy. I used to lay it back at the sticking point in my press, but I'm working hard to protect my back. Should benefit my shoulders. All of the other exercises from today are things I rarely do, but I included to stretch the hip flexors and hamstrings. Won't hurt my posterior chain either.

Next up: Baby Rack Pulls
    Training log:
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

One corrective exercise is isometric glute contractions, and another is high rep single leg glute bridge holds. Add split squats and my glutes are downright trembling.
    Training log:
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

My shoulders are feeling weak as well but that's just became they're weak. You'll get your strength back in no time. DB SLDLs aren't a bad exercise.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

You know, when I was in high school, I did them a lot. I switched them out for RDLs. The PT said my back flexibility is a lot more oriented toward extension (my bench arch) and is pretty sucky in flexion (my loss of arch squatting). So I figured I'd do SLDLs again.
    Training log:
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/11 Deadlifts (with video)

4" Rack Pull
    Barx50
    135x3x3
    225x3x2
    275x3x2
    315x3

Deadlift
    315x1x5

1" Deficit Pull
    315x1

Deadlift
    365x2x3
    365 Sumo & Conventional 2/11 - YouTube
    How did I do?

Front Squats (1sec pause)
    135x20
    225x6
    275x1
    315x1 PR (testing strength, yes. Today was a testing day)
    Paused Front Squat 315 - YouTube

Reverse Hyper/Back Extension
    BWx10x3/BWx10x3

Cable Crunch/Body Saw (pushup position)
    50x15x3/8x3

Furniture Slider Bridge (Laying flat to a bridge. Leg curl + hip extension, felt like a tough GHR)
    BWx6x3

Great workout. It was AMAZING to pull pain-free. I didn't push my limit, but just two weeks ago I couldn't do what I did today. I was painfully meticulous on the setup. Seriously, my body was in pain from how long I spent setting up. I noticed that conventional deficit pulls are easier for me than from the floor at 70% 1RM. It's because I can build a good start with a more vertical torso and strong, fast leg extension. I'm going to start putting the bar over my toes and set up about 1-3" above parallel. Should work well.

I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be, which makes me ecstatic. Time to double down on corrective exercises. I want good hip mobility on squat day. Bench next time.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Good session. That's a serious front squat, man. Your pulls looked good to me. I don't know sumo though but it looked strong. I think your butt shot up a little fast on the conventional. Mine did today pulling from the deficit. ME Bench tomorrow for you? I lost track if your rotation.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Lol. That's because my rotation kinda **** the bed a little. Today wasn't really much of anything as far as ME, RE, or DE. I'm basically on week 2, which would be ME Bench stuff. That should be good. I'd like to hook up with someone and get some shirted benching in tomorrow. I have yet to use my shirt since I went all Ginsu on the back. I think I could get 315x2x5 with it, if not more.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It's hard to say too much on the sumo since the plate hides much of your lower body. You get into position properly and your shoulders are aligned with the bar. It might be the mental approach to it, but your initial movement isn't thigh driven; it's lumbar driven as your hips shoot up rather quickly. Instead of visioning a conventional deadlift, imagine either a plie squat or a leg press and push out on the side of your feet to stand up. The movement should all come from your thighs and glutes and anything above that should more or less stay in the exact position as when you setup. Keep them tight, but don't use them to move the weight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/12 Kill Yourself Day

Today at work was split, haul, and pile several tons of wood. That was six hours of metabolic work. Then, since it's as nice as it's been in a long-ass time, I Prowled.

Prowler Push
    90#x40yds pushing posts
    180x40 posts

Dug in like a mother****er, the downfall of my plan.

90x40x5 alternating posts and high handles. 60s rest.

Now I know what Wendler meant by "Prowler flu". The mud was terrible, I should have just went on the street. Weather permitting, I'll be Prowling as often as possible.
    Training log:
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Good ****! I need the weather to get better here so I can do the Prowler and truck pulls again.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Truck pulls? You bad sonofabitch! I'm thinking I can get really fun for my GPP this summer. My shed is well stocked. I can prowl, farmer's walk with 130# DBs, and use 100# plates for Husefell carries. I'll find more stuff, too.
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

We rig a bridle up with some thick ass line and do about 40 yard pulls with a slight incline then push it back running. I'm definetly jealous if your garage set up man. That's my goal one day. Have you seen Brandon Lilly's garage setup?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Yeah, he's got it all. I wish I had the dumbbells he had. I have one 20, two 45s, and two 130s. And adjustables. Those are better than nothing, but putting that **** together is annoying.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/14 DE Squats <3

The only better way to spend Valentine's day would have been PRing in squats!

Speed Free Squat
    275x3x8

Pause Squat
    315x5x3

After watching the video, it occurs to me that I only paused on some of them. This is why powerlifters don't work alone. In my defense, every one felt like an eternity considering it was speed day and I had 315 on my back.

Cable Crunch/Bodysaw
    90x20x3/15x3

Short and sweet. Therapy today was a lot of core stability and about a thousand swiss ball bridges with a 5sec hold. I got my assistance already. Back feels good. Speed squats were a new experience. I did a set at 185 and almost won $10,000 on AFV. Pause squats sucked. All raw squatters could use a better holeshot, and I'm no exception. I've paused ATG before, it's WAYY different from pausing at parallel. This isn't the last time you'll see pause squats in this log.

Shirting up tomorrow!
    Training log:
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I'm glad to see we both agree on pause squats.

Oh, you won the workout t-shirt of the year award.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I'm gonna edit that post and video title to reflect reality. OCCASIONALLY paused squats. You should see me golf in this tee. I was recognized by a friend from 500yds away. Nobody wears an XL tie dye.
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/15 ME Bench
    275x2 then added shirt
    275x2
    315x2
    335x2
    315x2

Tate Press
    55x9
    60x7
    65x5

Meadows Row
    100x8x3

Klokov Press
    95x5x3

Wish I could've videotaped the benching. First time with the cut shirt was a whole different ballgame. Still working on jacking it into place. I had decent speed off of the chest and hit a wall right around 2 or 3 boards up. Managed to hit every rep with no problem until the second rep of 335 and the second rep at 315. The volume at that weight was very taxing. I was out of it for the rest of the workout.
    Training log:
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Today's bruises betray the other day's workout. My bruises are more toward my elbow than my shoulder on my triceps. I had more spring off of the chest, but less help at lockout. There's a definite learning curve to this thing, especially trying to do it on my own. I'm still working on getting back to where I was before I started rehabbing, but I'm looking forward to today's body day.
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

How difficult is the koklov press?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    How difficult is the koklov press?
    Quite difficult! I recommend wrist wraps and starting with an empty bar. Make sure to push OUT on the collars the whole time, it activates the shoulders so that they're not compromised. Five reps at 95lbs was a good effort for me. Really tough on the upper back. 65lbs for 12 would be a rough set. After doing this exercise, I'd have to rank Dmitry Klokov doing his press with 110kg as one of the more impressive lifts I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Yeahhhhh I'll start with the bar....haha

I wish I could work out in a massive place like that..
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/18 Cube Body Day

Press
    135x10
    155x5
    135x8
    Still not where I expected it to be. This needs to improve.

BB Curl
    95x12,10,8

Snatch Grip Deadlift
    225x8x3
    Last set was best.

JM Press/CG Bench
    135x20
    185x8
    205x6/2
    205x0/6

Facepull/Rear Delt Fly
    90x12x3/20x12x3

YTW
    10x5 each
    Empty Handx5 eachx2

DB Side Bends/Cable Crunch
    130x10x2/90x20x2

Very mediocre session. I guess that's what happens when you work on your weak points. Deadlifts tomorrow.
    Training log:
  32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Jealous of your JM press still..I gotta get working on that. Looks like a good workout though
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

It was ok, I guess. I'm tightening up my form on presses, so the numbers aren't where I like them. I have video of the JMs, I think I cut them off a little higher than I should have. We'll see where I stand in a couple weeks. We're throwing together a meet in the shed to set my brother's numbers for either 5/3/1 or the Cube. It'll be in three weeks, since he advanced in the state wrestling tournament and I'm going to the Arnold.
    Training log:
  34. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Read through your log the other day when I heard you were doing the Cube Method. Solid workouts man...I'll be following from here on.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Read through your log the other day when I heard you were doing the Cube Method. Solid workouts man...I'll be following from here on.
    Thanks man! Glad to have you. Feel free to make yourself at home. Ask questions, make critiques, post comments. Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Training log:
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

2/19 Heavy Ass Squats!

(If you couldn't tell, today went well.)

Mobility Work
    Empty Bar Overhead Squats
    Wide Stance Front Squats up to 135 (these are better suited to deadlift day, I squat shoulder width)

Squats
    405x2x4 then wrapped knees
    405x5 PR

Either I'm a knee wrap wizard or Valeo Red Line knee wraps are extremely underrated. I X'ed the wrap with a good pre-stretch and the rebound totally masked my hip weakness. It was also good for a huge PR from Lamonster at 385 for 5 (he's on the "1" week of Peridization Bible) The first four sets were slow. Not grinding, but slow. The first four reps of set 5 were explosive, and I pushed through with a minor hitch on rep 5. Time to work on those hips.

Pause Squat (legitimate 3 second count from Lamonster)
    225x5x2

Front Squat
    225x5 and I had to leave the rack for mental health purposes.

45 degree Back Extension
    BW+100x6,6,8

RFE Bulgarian
    35sx6x3

Step Ups
    35sx6x3

And done. This was 45 minutes of hell, and one of the most satisfying training sessions I've had. After wallowing for awhile, I stopped at a new supplement store to pick up some preworkout, and it totally livened me up. Also, it happened to be Lamonster's heavy squat day and we were able to hook up. It was the perfect storm. At first, we were getting looks for using wrist wraps and rolling up knee wraps while doing warmup sets. By the end, the fellow gym patrons didn't know whether to cry or wind their watch. This occurred at a local YMCA where there are more guys that can bench 405x5 than squat 405x5 to depth (I'm sure there are one or two that can, I just haven't seen them). The actual pause squats were brutal, even though they were light. After the volume at 405 (10 more reps than ever before in one session), the rest of the time was spent using lighter weights for low reps. Awesome ****ing session.

Anybody want to offer some exercises that worked for them in improving their hip strength for getting out of the hole?
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Solid session. You are Recovering fast!

I'm sure you will get more responses but I think the pauses will help you out of the hole. I was watching a video of a guy on t-nation or eliteFTS doing the pauses. I think you are on the right track there.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Solid session. You are Recovering fast!

I'm sure you will get more responses but I think the pauses will help you out of the hole. I was watching a video of a guy on t-nation or eliteFTS doing the pauses. I think you are on the right track there.

I got the pausing idea from the large gentlemen over at Juggernaut. Chad Smith and Brandon Lilly are big on pausing their squats. Greg Panora (one of Westside's world record holding athletes) is Cubing and following Lilly's methods pretty closely as well. I really like the Juggernaut logs.
  39. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I was going to add pause squats in on Friday's Squat workout based off a lot on reading from those people already mentioned. Seems like I am in good company with the addition..
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    I was going to add pause squats in on Friday's Squat workout based off a lot on reading from those people already mentioned. Seems like I am in good company with the addition..
    Do it up. I did 3 sec at 405 and intend to keep track of paused rep PRs with it. Lilly does up to a 10 second pause with 500+lbs
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. JudoJosh attempt at anabolic diet log...
    By JudoJosh in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
  2. My attempt at getting rid of gyno
    By dice404 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
  3. Leggo's attempt at a Training Log!!
    By Leggo my Ego in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
  4. Replies: 2