14 weeks out, 1st Raw Meet.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Portland Texas , March 10 2013...Gotta get ready, log to keep track of what I am doing and to improve. Training with Team, trying to get at least 800+ total for the meet and go for experience.

Totals as of now:

-Wide Stance Squat 235x1
-Sumo Deadlift 315x1
-Bench: 195x1 Paused, 200x1 TNG

Total: 745 lbs
Goal (Realistic...): 790~
Goal (Ideal): 800+

Training of today after weeks of break from wrist injury:

Squat, narrow, chains and pause at the bottom.

-Barx5
-95x5
-135x5

Chains on:
-135x4
-155x4
-175x3
-185x2

Power singles:
-225x1
-225x1

Hip Thrust:
-135x4
-225x4
-315x4
-335x4

Single legged squat, balance issues...
Total of 20 reps in 5 sets.

Conditioning:
200 meter strides x 4. 60 second break between each.

Weight as of this morning:145.6
Competition weight needed: 132

Edit:

Olympic lift numbers, though not releveant in competition but important for me...with them I learned how to do explosive movements.

Snatch:
-125x1

Powerclean (Properly...the weight I did without hurting my wrist):
-155x1

Jerk:
-185x1

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
subbed. good luck. an extra 50lbs on your total in 14 weeks is highly obtainable

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Thank you fellas , just trying to not let my team down...we got a 132 junior national raw champ...he totaled around 1010? Something around that...yet he kinda just recently slipped a disc due to bad squat form...so I got a chance of not looking that much like a chump in his division. Point is to get experience out of it, and it's my first prep run for anything...should be fun :)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm lookin to compete someday and just joined a proper gym to train so I'm def subbed for your experience.

some people are genetic freaks. **** them lol you've got it dude

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I don't think I was blessed genetically...my coach is the boss of the team and one of the best friends someone could ask for...he has huge ass legs, dude pulled 595 raw at 177 at nationals and won thanks to it. Since I started training with him my dead went from 275~ to 315 , squat from a sad 185 to 235 , bench went up from 185 to 200 TnG...

I believe something, I might not be genetically blessed...but I stick through it and fight for it, i started strength training around april-may after a long ass cut haha...and well now I have big plans for myself in the next years, I've made a commitment to myself to stay natty and raw for now, lifting gear might come later, as far as AAS...I don't think I'll go down that path anytime soon haha

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you squat wide in competition, why are you training narrow?

Also, chain use why?

Better at sumo or conventional?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
If you squat wide in competition, why are you training narrow?

Also, chain use why?

Better at sumo or conventional?
Better at sumo.

Chains specially for the squat and bench since I tend to pause in the middle of the motion and using them from time to time (3 weeks on and some time off) helps for me, noticed this specially on bench and squat.

Narrow because I had done around 6 weeks of Wide stance, and the idea is to switch out every 3 weeks to sorta avoid deloading. Sort of a "westside" idea of choosing different lifts from the ME pool.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Better at sumo.

Chains specially for the squat and bench since I tend to pause in the middle of the motion and using them from time to time (3 weeks on and some time off) helps for me, noticed this specially on bench and squat.

Narrow because I had done around 6 weeks of Wide stance, and the idea is to switch out every 3 weeks to sorta avoid deloading. Sort of a "westside" idea of choosing different lifts from the ME pool.
At your level, I'd stick to one stance and go with it, no need to alter stances and I doubt it will achieve the result you're looking for anyways.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
At your level, I'd stick to one stance and go with it, no need to alter stances and I doubt it will achieve the result you're looking for anyways.
Been telling them the same, that I ain't pro like them >>' 2 of em are national champs, I am just starting.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been telling them the same, that I ain't pro like them >>' 2 of em are national champs, I am just starting.
What school team are you part of?

What federation?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
USAPL , we just made the team. We train at UT but its neither sponsored nor payed by them. Basically coach and I pay for everything in the team.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Subbed Celly!
Glad to have you brother! If it wasn't for my SNS stash and your support guys, I don't think my lifts and total would be at this point right now! Lets see the might of SNS help me out in this prep!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you tha man, i was invited to train for xcalibur next august.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Thanks brothers! And welcome.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
repps for the sumo DL...

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Woke up today, wrist swollen hurting on the left side...minor, real minor, pain yet still applied some icy hot and patched it up real right. Should be fine for tomorrows session and saturdays.

Todays morning weight: 143.6 on the nude post bathroom business.
Target weight: 132 by week 14, should keep weight for now...will adjust carb intake to maintain for now.

Notes to check upon the weekend:
Maintenance level has been unknown for a while since I had been playing it by ear around the 2500-2600 ballpark with all the compounds and the Track workouts (strides, sprints and the like)...Yet weight had gone up to 149 and strength too...after my break from my wrist I came back actually stronger and weighted less. Mirror-o-meter tells a different story, I look like a lost a bit of mass and gained a bit of fat...not sure how since strength is higher and speed too...could be I am learning to perform the movements better or that I am recruiting more fibers into them. Will drain some water this weeks for a bit to see if it is just water weight, due to the sudden loss in the past week, I am a bit at a loss, but today looking actually more like my usual body comp...

Rest-Exam day:
-30 min real light leisure jog this morning...enjoying the nice cold morning (well not really cold...semi cool @ around 55 degrees haha)
-Exam at 7 and getting out ASAP to hit the sack for tomorrow is Olympic lifts day...no powercleans tomorrow at all, can't risk major injury in the wrist and it is still iffy since the past powerclean incident...

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Bit later training, slept up a bit more because I had an exam at night...got out late. Workout felt good nonetheless.

Clean Pulls:

From the hang above the knee

-155x4
-155x4
-185x4
-175x4 (previous set felt bad)

Hang below the knee

-165x4
-165x4
-185x4
-185x4

From the ground:

-135x4
-155x4
-185x4
-190x2
-190x2

Jerk (catching up from some stuff I had missed earlier this week...)

-115x4
-125x4
-125x4
-135x2
-135x2
-135x2
-135x2
-135x2

They were going up really REALLY smoothly and easy, but it was just light work to get some push in there...Idk if I'll be able to make it tomorrow to the gym. Final project due monday.

Weight this morning: 143.6
Target comp weight: 132

Exactly 14 weeks out today (was 14 weeks and some days when log started). Gotta step it up.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The main oly movements, no reason to go above 3 reps. It's a power movement, and should remain in the 1-3 rep range.

Reasoning for breaking up the clean pulls the way you did?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
The main oly movements, no reason to go above 3 reps. It's a power movement, and should remain in the 1-3 rep range.

Reasoning for breaking up the clean pulls the way you did?
Oh ok , will try to keep em lower reps then, thanks bro!

Well, thing is...from the ground it's easier, you have more power...thought about making it a little bit harder and start from the hang and drop until the ground. I'm assuming it wasn't a good idea...

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh ok , will try to keep em lower reps then, thanks bro!

Well, thing is...from the ground it's easier, you have more power...thought about making it a little bit harder and start from the hang and drop until the ground. I'm assuming it wasn't a good idea...
I don't see a point to it. You're new to the movements, train the full movements. Either do clean pulls from the floor, or high pulls. Not a lot of variations of each.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good luck man. I have been toying around with the idea of hitting a Powerlifting meet next summer or fall if things work out the way I am hoping.

Crush it. :cool:

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I don't see a point to it. You're new to the movements, train the full movements. Either do clean pulls from the floor, or high pulls. Not a lot of variations of each.
I thought I had to also train different parts of it to get good at em :/ I'll try to only do around 10 sets of 2-3 reps next week. Thanks brother.

Good luck man. I have been toying around with the idea of hitting a Powerlifting meet next summer or fall if things work out the way I am hoping.

Crush it. :cool:
I fell in love with this haha...Many people here at my gym think it's stupid and all they care about is crossfit, and physique training without "leg days" (hate that term)...it's fun to be able to lift more than 200lb 6' behemoths in every single lift...I do it for myself, for my own strength to go up...that and the fact I seriously wanna win someday.

Try it out bro, I'm sure you can win, you are pretty damn strong haha.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought I had to also train different parts of it to get good at em :/ I'll try to only do around 10 sets of 2-3 reps next week. Thanks brother.

I fell in love with this haha...Many people here at my gym think it's stupid and all they care about is crossfit, and physique training without "leg days" (hate that term)...it's fun to be able to lift more than 200lb 6' behemoths in every single lift...I do it for myself, for my own strength to go up...that and the fact I seriously wanna win someday.

I'd have to see your lifts, but at your level, training the full lift itself will probably be the smartest.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'd have to see your lifts, but at your level, training the full lift itself will probably be the smartest.
I'm gonna go up on monday (hopefully) on Sumo...trying to get over 315x1...haven't gone higher, but guessing it will. I'll tape a 3 rep max (around 295-300) and then a single from either max or over max. Sumo is one key thing for me...I am putting my hopes on it getting at least 30-35lbs higher in this 14 weeks.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ya I mostly want to do something just because I feel the urge to compete in something. Have no idea how it will go, how my weights would fair, etc. but may have to fully commit to it in 2013. :D

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Hi Celorza,
Great log so far,
I'd love to hear what kind of diet and supplementation protocol you are using, to make weight while maintaining your strength.

Peace

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting to say the least.

I'll be reading along, probably silently, good luck man.

Always loved the idea of powerlifting and may do it myself some day, when applicable.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Ya I mostly want to do something just because I feel the urge to compete in something. Have no idea how it will go, how my weights would fair, etc. but may have to fully commit to it in 2013. :D
I think you totally should bro, you have the discipline.
Hi Celorza,
Great log so far,
I'd love to hear what kind of diet and supplementation protocol you are using, to make weight while maintaining your strength.

Peace
With strength training , sheer calories are needed...not really about ratios, yet to maintain (when I start the phase for making weight some 6 weeks out) diet will be 1g prot per lb of BW, fats will be .5g/lb and carbs will be immediately post workout and limited to the caloric allotment required to drop around a lb per week.

As for supplementation, it's pretty basic ATM:

-SNS Cissus-XT (as per bottle but away from the workout
-SNS MCC (3g some 4-5 days a week)
-SNS Beta Alanine (3.2~g)
-SNS COP (2g PWO)
-SNS Cit Mal (6-9g PWO)
-EC stack 3x a day
-SNS ALCAR (2g PWO)
-SNS Agmatine Powder (1g PWO OR 1g PRE carb meal)
-Orange OxyMega 4 softgels a day

Interesting to say the least.

I'll be reading along, probably silently, good luck man.

Always loved the idea of powerlifting and may do it myself some day, when applicable.
Sweet Jimbo, welcome bro.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Saturday's night workout:

Usually train in the am, fasted and at the gym but had a pretty busy day and made it a HIT BW routine to not fall too much back...

Wide grip pull ups:
10 sets with 1 minute rest between em. Reps from 4-6 each.

Explosive push ups:
All with clapping and 10 reps each set for 10 sets with 1 minute rest per set.

Crunches:
Total of 150 reps in 10 sets of 15. Explosive fashion and 1 minute rest

Was done pretty quick but focused on pulling as fast as I could , pushing as hard as possible and crunching with good contraction...needed it, besides I was having a bit of a bad day and it cheered me up. Had most of my kCals after it and good amount of carbs

Weight Saturday December 1st: 142.6
Target weight: 132lbs

Today: rest day , I really need it.

I had a good amount of carbs and water last night, replenishing glycogen helped I woke up looking fuller, bigger and leaner and at normal glycogen weight.

Weight today: 145.2lbs
Target weight 132lbs

Tomorrow is sumo day...gonna go up from the 315 tomorrow to as much as I feel I am doing it safely and with proper form. Ideally I'll pull 325 , realistically I'll be ok with 2 singles of 320.

av6258

av6258

Awards
Woke up today, wrist swollen hurting on the left side...minor, real minor, pain yet still applied some icy hot and patched it up real right.

Be careful with the wrist bud. Did damage a few years back. Let it linger and linger. The truth was I had a few ligament tears. Never the same again. Just a cautionary tale lol. Subbed and good luck brother!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Specificity...remember, you're basing your performance on three lifts and you're not really training them.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Specificity...remember, you're basing your performance on three lifts and you're not really training them.
Intend on changing that...was so busy with final projects this week I didn't update but I did train...

Week 13:

-Sumo Deadlift:

4 Warm Up sets leading up to 275x5.

Working sets:

285x4
290x4
300x3
305x3
315x2 (PR)
320x1 (PR)
325x1 (PR) Form was about 80% clean...but I'll keep at it, though I'm not sure if I would've been red lighted like this.

Good Mornings

5 sets of 135x5

Lunges to the side

65x5
65x5
65x5
75x5
75x5

Standing plate oblique crunches.
5 sets of: 45x20 for each side.

Conditioning: 6xBuildups with a 30 second top speed hold. 2 minute rest in between sets.

Bench day:

Warm up sets leading up to 130.

Paused Working Sets:
135x5
155x5
175x5
185x3 (PR) (Used to be 185x2 according to my logs)
195x1 barely...
200xF nope, didn't go off the chest , so lower portion strength needed...

TnG
185x5
195x2
200x1
205xF I guess I was fatigued already :/

Overhead Press
95x5
95x5
95x5
105x3
105x3

Dumbbell Rows
5 sets of 80x15

Dumbbell Paused Bench Press (all the way down, hoping it helps with the lower portion of my bench)
70x5
75x3
65x5 (went down...my left shoulder was getting tight)
65x5
65x5

No conditioning.

Squat day (ATG, going back to wide stance next week...):
Warmed up in 4 sets up to 145

Working sets:
155x4
185x4
185x4
205x2
205x2
225x1

One Legged speed Leg Press (Reps per leg)
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4

Hip thrusts
225x5
315x5
335x5
365x5
405x4

Standing cable crunches
5 sets of 60x20

Conditioning: 8x100m sprints with 30-60 rest in between each.

Extra ab workout: Hurled after this day (yesterday) and today I woke up after immense stress, workouts, final projects and labs...like a truck ran me over X_X!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Friday december 7. 13 weeks out.

-Olympic lift day

Clean Pulls (from the ground all)

Warm up:
-135x4
-135x4
-135x4

Sets:

-155x3
-155x3
-155x3
-165x3
-165x3
-175x3
-175x3
-185x3
-185x3
-205x2 (PR)
-205x1

Prehab work all over:

-YTWs with 5 pound dumbbells , 4 sets of 4Ys, 4Ts, 4Ws

Rotator Cuff exercises:

Cable outside rotator cuff:
5 sets of 10lb x 10

Bar Rotation to the top (elbows parallel to the ground)
5 sets of 40x10

Core Work:
-Hanging leg raises BWxF for 5 sets (5-15) exercises.

Felt I didn't work the core enough on the week...I've been to tied up with finals and projects...parents and I don't allow anything but straight As and those do take a toll on me...

Weight of friday: 144lbs
Target Weight: 132lbs

I'll try to maintain weight for now and start cutting phase by around 7 weeks out...Plan is to just drop to 138-140 and then simply do a water flush week or depletion week for the weight in to make weight.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Nice job on getting the pr done twice! :)
Tried getting it again but on the first x2 set I did get both of them to the pec/nipple area (enough to get under the bar and flip the wrist into a powerclean) though on the second set I did get it there...I felt I have to listen to my body when it tells me that even though I got one more...I should just focus on doing the form right and not going for failure or overexertion.

Thanks bro.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid workout man. I haven't done Oly lifting in forever...I am scared to think what my numbers would even look like. :eek:

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Solid workout man. I haven't done Oly lifting in forever...I am scared to think what my numbers would even look like. :eek:
I know most people think (and to a point I agree) that oly training has little to no place in PL training...but i have learned so much about how to activate my body and making it move faster, or make it stronger with them...I just fell in love with it. Just this week I finally got how to make that kinda spring reflex on the hip that kinda has to activate between the first and second pull for snatch...even though i wasn't doing snatch...Idk it just clicked in. I ended up through up just a set of 3 for snatch and got my 115x3 MUCH easier and it felt so light and right...

That aside, bro you are a lean, ripped, strong machine! I'm sure your oly lifts are pretty sick even without training them for a while!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know most people think (and to a point I agree) that oly training has little to no place in PL training...but i have learned so much about how to activate my body and making it move faster, or make it stronger with them...I just fell in love with it. Just this week I finally got how to make that kinda spring reflex on the hip that kinda has to activate between the first and second pull for snatch...even though i wasn't doing snatch...Idk it just clicked in. I ended up through up just a set of 3 for snatch and got my 115x3 MUCH easier and it felt so light and right...

That aside, bro you are a lean, ripped, strong machine! I'm sure your oly lifts are pretty sick even without training them for a while!
Haven't always been too good at them but I place some at the beginning of workouts to get things going. May have to start them back up again soon. :D

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Haven't always been too good at them but I place some at the beginning of workouts to get things going. May have to start them back up again soon. :D
Well FWIW I am not a bodybuilder, and my looks are not my number 1 goal...but functionality wise, the Trap, rear deltoid and hamstring growth I have gotten from Clean-Pulls, Powercleans and Snatches is superb...Jerks have done a pretty good job on my tri's and front delts too, so it might be worth looking into for the Physique trainee too :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Here's the problem with Oly lifts: you can't just dabble in them. You have to make them your priority because they are so highly technical and, from a PL perspective, they don't have great carryover since they have no eccentric movement. While I do agree force production and bar speed is important, Oly lifts lack specificity to PL movements. The dynamic effort is enough to train the speed-strength aspect and trains the direct motor programming instead of hoping for carryover from a completely different movement.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Here's the problem with Oly lifts: you can't just dabble in them. You have to make them your priority because they are so highly technical and, from a PL perspective, they don't have great carryover since they have no eccentric movement. While I do agree force production and bar speed is important, Oly lifts lack specificity to PL movements. The dynamic effort is enough to train the speed-strength aspect and trains the direct motor programming instead of hoping for carryover from a completely different movement.
I do agree here too...there's little to no carryover BUT...in my case Rodja, I did not get carryover at all (like you said)...BUT I did learn to move faster...Idk I know it makes no sense since you do not need mind muscle connection for powerlifting , more like staying tight through the motion but I did not even know how to activate that BOOM reflex...always had been a lazy sob and never lifted...I guess it just taught me how to tell my body to move faster.

Agreeing with yah, it has had NO carryover whatsoever in my bench press, in my squat or deadlift as in actual numbers, but it has kinda prepared my mind to stay tight and just go BAM on a lift...and THAT has helped on my dead and squat...perhaps not muscle fiber , movement or specificity wise...but confidence and mentally wise they have helped me...idk I can't even explain it...and I'm most likely looking like a fool trying to explain it, when in the end I do agree with you...

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do agree here too...there's little to no carryover BUT...in my case Rodja, I did not get carryover at all (like you said)...BUT I did learn to move faster...Idk I know it makes no sense since you do not need mind muscle connection for powerlifting , more like staying tight through the motion but I did not even know how to activate that BOOM reflex...always had been a lazy sob and never lifted...I guess it just taught me how to tell my body to move faster.

Agreeing with yah, it has had NO carryover whatsoever in my bench press, in my squat or deadlift as in actual numbers, but it has kinda prepared my mind to stay tight and just go BAM on a lift...and THAT has helped on my dead and squat...perhaps not muscle fiber , movement or specificity wise...but confidence and mentally wise they have helped me...idk I can't even explain it...and I'm most likely looking like a fool trying to explain it, when in the end I do agree with you...
wat

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Uh it's a convo I had with Rodja a while ago...I guess I should explain what I mean...

I mean that through your mind should be going: "Stay tight, do it right" for example...on a squat, you do not think:

"Press quads, clutch cheeks...squeeze!!" I mean to say...you need to concentrate on a MOVEMENT , as a whole...not focus on a specific muscle...more like "Stay tight..."

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uh it's a convo I had with Rodja a while ago...I guess I should explain what I mean...

I mean that through your mind should be going: "Stay tight, do it right" for example...on a squat, you do not think:

"Press quads, clutch cheeks...squeeze!!" I mean to say...you need to concentrate on a MOVEMENT , as a whole...not focus on a specific muscle...more like "Stay tight..."
Eh don't really agree, such as hips through being done so by glute activation. Lats while benching, deadlifting, etc etc.

It's not bodybuilding, but it's not as cut and dry as you said IMO.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Eh don't really agree, such as hips through being done so by glute activation. Lats while benching, deadlifting, etc etc.

It's not bodybuilding, but it's not as cut and dry as you said IMO.
Aah Idk how to explain, and I did phrase it in a really BOLD way, I just mean you have to focus (on bench for example) on flexing the back keeping it TIGHT and keeping the arch on the lower back tight...perhaps that in a way is MM connection but I see it as "staying tight" , then again you DO need to connect to it though...

BTW You train PL too...any good Hip and Glute exercises to add in for building strength there as assistance?

I already do and periodize Good mornings, Hip thrusts, Lunges, Lunges to the side, Romanian and hypers :/

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aah Idk how to explain, and I did phrase it in a really BOLD way, I just mean you have to focus (on bench for example) on flexing the back keeping it TIGHT and keeping the arch on the lower back tight...perhaps that in a way is MM connection but I see it as "staying tight" , then again you DO need to connect to it though...

BTW You train PL too...any good Hip and Glute exercises to add in for building strength there as assistance?

I already do and periodize Good mornings, Hip thrusts, Lunges, Lunges to the side, Romanian and hypers :/
GHRs

All those exercises are good.