14 weeks out, 1st Raw Meet.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10

Ya I mostly want to do something just because I feel the urge to compete in something. Have no idea how it will go, how my weights would fair, etc. but may have to fully commit to it in 2013.
    I think you totally should bro, you have the discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit
    Hi Celorza,
    Great log so far,
    I'd love to hear what kind of diet and supplementation protocol you are using, to make weight while maintaining your strength.

Peace
    With strength training , sheer calories are needed...not really about ratios, yet to maintain (when I start the phase for making weight some 6 weeks out) diet will be 1g prot per lb of BW, fats will be .5g/lb and carbs will be immediately post workout and limited to the caloric allotment required to drop around a lb per week.

As for supplementation, it's pretty basic ATM:

-SNS Cissus-XT (as per bottle but away from the workout
    -SNS MCC (3g some 4-5 days a week)
    -SNS Beta Alanine (3.2~g)
    -SNS COP (2g PWO)
    -SNS Cit Mal (6-9g PWO)
    -EC stack 3x a day
    -SNS ALCAR (2g PWO)
    -SNS Agmatine Powder (1g PWO OR 1g PRE carb meal)
    -Orange OxyMega 4 softgels a day

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick
    Interesting to say the least.

I'll be reading along, probably silently, good luck man.

Always loved the idea of powerlifting and may do it myself some day, when applicable.
    Sweet Jimbo, welcome bro.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Saturday's night workout:

Usually train in the am, fasted and at the gym but had a pretty busy day and made it a HIT BW routine to not fall too much back...

Wide grip pull ups:
    10 sets with 1 minute rest between em. Reps from 4-6 each.

Explosive push ups:
    All with clapping and 10 reps each set for 10 sets with 1 minute rest per set.

Crunches:
    Total of 150 reps in 10 sets of 15. Explosive fashion and 1 minute rest

Was done pretty quick but focused on pulling as fast as I could , pushing as hard as possible and crunching with good contraction...needed it, besides I was having a bit of a bad day and it cheered me up. Had most of my kCals after it and good amount of carbs

Weight Saturday December 1st: 142.6
    Target weight: 132lbs

Today: rest day , I really need it.

I had a good amount of carbs and water last night, replenishing glycogen helped I woke up looking fuller, bigger and leaner and at normal glycogen weight.

Weight today: 145.2lbs
    Target weight 132lbs

Tomorrow is sumo day...gonna go up from the 315 tomorrow to as much as I feel I am doing it safely and with proper form. Ideally I'll pull 325 , realistically I'll be ok with 2 singles of 320.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

[QUOTE="Celorza"]Woke up today, wrist swollen hurting on the left side...minor, real minor, pain yet still applied some icy hot and patched it up real right.

Be careful with the wrist bud. Did damage a few years back. Let it linger and linger. The truth was I had a few ligament tears. Never the same again. Just a cautionary tale lol. Subbed and good luck brother!
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Specificity...remember, you're basing your performance on three lifts and you're not really training them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Specificity...remember, you're basing your performance on three lifts and you're not really training them.
    Intend on changing that...was so busy with final projects this week I didn't update but I did train...

Week 13:

-Sumo Deadlift:

4 Warm Up sets leading up to 275x5.

Working sets:

285x4
    290x4
    300x3
    305x3
    315x2 (PR)
    320x1 (PR)
    325x1 (PR) Form was about 80% clean...but I'll keep at it, though I'm not sure if I would've been red lighted like this.

Good Mornings

5 sets of 135x5

Lunges to the side

65x5
    65x5
    65x5
    75x5
    75x5

Standing plate oblique crunches.
    5 sets of: 45x20 for each side.

Conditioning: 6xBuildups with a 30 second top speed hold. 2 minute rest in between sets.

Bench day:

Warm up sets leading up to 130.

Paused Working Sets:
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5
    185x3 (PR) (Used to be 185x2 according to my logs)
    195x1 barely...
    200xF nope, didn't go off the chest , so lower portion strength needed...

TnG
    185x5
    195x2
    200x1
    205xF I guess I was fatigued already :/

Overhead Press
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    105x3
    105x3

Dumbbell Rows
    5 sets of 80x15

Dumbbell Paused Bench Press (all the way down, hoping it helps with the lower portion of my bench)
    70x5
    75x3
    65x5 (went down...my left shoulder was getting tight)
    65x5
    65x5

No conditioning.

Squat day (ATG, going back to wide stance next week...):
    Warmed up in 4 sets up to 145

Working sets:
    155x4
    185x4
    185x4
    205x2
    205x2
    225x1

One Legged speed Leg Press (Reps per leg)
    35x4
    35x4
    35x4
    35x4
    35x4

Hip thrusts
    225x5
    315x5
    335x5
    365x5
    405x4

Standing cable crunches
    5 sets of 60x20

Conditioning: 8x100m sprints with 30-60 rest in between each.

Extra ab workout: Hurled after this day (yesterday) and today I woke up after immense stress, workouts, final projects and labs...like a truck ran me over X_X!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Friday december 7. 13 weeks out.

-Olympic lift day

Clean Pulls (from the ground all)

Warm up:
    -135x4
    -135x4
    -135x4

Sets:

-155x3
    -155x3
    -155x3
    -165x3
    -165x3
    -175x3
    -175x3
    -185x3
    -185x3
    -205x2 (PR)
    -205x1

Prehab work all over:

-YTWs with 5 pound dumbbells , 4 sets of 4Ys, 4Ts, 4Ws

Rotator Cuff exercises:

Cable outside rotator cuff:
    5 sets of 10lb x 10

Bar Rotation to the top (elbows parallel to the ground)
    5 sets of 40x10

Core Work:
    -Hanging leg raises BWxF for 5 sets (5-15) exercises.

Felt I didn't work the core enough on the week...I've been to tied up with finals and projects...parents and I don't allow anything but straight As and those do take a toll on me...

Weight of friday: 144lbs
    Target Weight: 132lbs

I'll try to maintain weight for now and start cutting phase by around 7 weeks out...Plan is to just drop to 138-140 and then simply do a water flush week or depletion week for the weight in to make weight.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Nice job on getting the pr done twice!
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    Nice job on getting the pr done twice!
    Tried getting it again but on the first x2 set I did get both of them to the pec/nipple area (enough to get under the bar and flip the wrist into a powerclean) though on the second set I did get it there...I felt I have to listen to my body when it tells me that even though I got one more...I should just focus on doing the form right and not going for failure or overexertion.

Thanks bro.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  9. Registered User

Solid workout man. I haven't done Oly lifting in forever...I am scared to think what my numbers would even look like.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Solid workout man. I haven't done Oly lifting in forever...I am scared to think what my numbers would even look like.
    I know most people think (and to a point I agree) that oly training has little to no place in PL training...but i have learned so much about how to activate my body and making it move faster, or make it stronger with them...I just fell in love with it. Just this week I finally got how to make that kinda spring reflex on the hip that kinda has to activate between the first and second pull for snatch...even though i wasn't doing snatch...Idk it just clicked in. I ended up through up just a set of 3 for snatch and got my 115x3 MUCH easier and it felt so light and right...

That aside, bro you are a lean, ripped, strong machine! I'm sure your oly lifts are pretty sick even without training them for a while!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I know most people think (and to a point I agree) that oly training has little to no place in PL training...but i have learned so much about how to activate my body and making it move faster, or make it stronger with them...I just fell in love with it. Just this week I finally got how to make that kinda spring reflex on the hip that kinda has to activate between the first and second pull for snatch...even though i wasn't doing snatch...Idk it just clicked in. I ended up through up just a set of 3 for snatch and got my 115x3 MUCH easier and it felt so light and right...

That aside, bro you are a lean, ripped, strong machine! I'm sure your oly lifts are pretty sick even without training them for a while!
    Haven't always been too good at them but I place some at the beginning of workouts to get things going. May have to start them back up again soon.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Haven't always been too good at them but I place some at the beginning of workouts to get things going. May have to start them back up again soon.
    Well FWIW I am not a bodybuilder, and my looks are not my number 1 goal...but functionality wise, the Trap, rear deltoid and hamstring growth I have gotten from Clean-Pulls, Powercleans and Snatches is superb...Jerks have done a pretty good job on my tri's and front delts too, so it might be worth looking into for the Physique trainee too
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

http://youtu.be/7I0xjPNGtLM

^he's strong AND jacked
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Here's the problem with Oly lifts: you can't just dabble in them. You have to make them your priority because they are so highly technical and, from a PL perspective, they don't have great carryover since they have no eccentric movement. While I do agree force production and bar speed is important, Oly lifts lack specificity to PL movements. The dynamic effort is enough to train the speed-strength aspect and trains the direct motor programming instead of hoping for carryover from a completely different movement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Here's the problem with Oly lifts: you can't just dabble in them. You have to make them your priority because they are so highly technical and, from a PL perspective, they don't have great carryover since they have no eccentric movement. While I do agree force production and bar speed is important, Oly lifts lack specificity to PL movements. The dynamic effort is enough to train the speed-strength aspect and trains the direct motor programming instead of hoping for carryover from a completely different movement.
    I do agree here too...there's little to no carryover BUT...in my case Rodja, I did not get carryover at all (like you said)...BUT I did learn to move faster...Idk I know it makes no sense since you do not need mind muscle connection for powerlifting , more like staying tight through the motion but I did not even know how to activate that BOOM reflex...always had been a lazy sob and never lifted...I guess it just taught me how to tell my body to move faster.

Agreeing with yah, it has had NO carryover whatsoever in my bench press, in my squat or deadlift as in actual numbers, but it has kinda prepared my mind to stay tight and just go BAM on a lift...and THAT has helped on my dead and squat...perhaps not muscle fiber , movement or specificity wise...but confidence and mentally wise they have helped me...idk I can't even explain it...and I'm most likely looking like a fool trying to explain it, when in the end I do agree with you...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

I do agree here too...there's little to no carryover BUT...in my case Rodja, I did not get carryover at all (like you said)...BUT I did learn to move faster...Idk I know it makes no sense since you do not need mind muscle connection for powerlifting , more like staying tight through the motion but I did not even know how to activate that BOOM reflex...always had been a lazy sob and never lifted...I guess it just taught me how to tell my body to move faster.

Agreeing with yah, it has had NO carryover whatsoever in my bench press, in my squat or deadlift as in actual numbers, but it has kinda prepared my mind to stay tight and just go BAM on a lift...and THAT has helped on my dead and squat...perhaps not muscle fiber , movement or specificity wise...but confidence and mentally wise they have helped me...idk I can't even explain it...and I'm most likely looking like a fool trying to explain it, when in the end I do agree with you...
    wat
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    wat
    Uh it's a convo I had with Rodja a while ago...I guess I should explain what I mean...

I mean that through your mind should be going: "Stay tight, do it right" for example...on a squat, you do not think:

"Press quads, clutch cheeks...squeeze!!" I mean to say...you need to concentrate on a MOVEMENT , as a whole...not focus on a specific muscle...more like "Stay tight..."
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Uh it's a convo I had with Rodja a while ago...I guess I should explain what I mean...

I mean that through your mind should be going: "Stay tight, do it right" for example...on a squat, you do not think:

"Press quads, clutch cheeks...squeeze!!" I mean to say...you need to concentrate on a MOVEMENT , as a whole...not focus on a specific muscle...more like "Stay tight..."
    Eh don't really agree, such as hips through being done so by glute activation. Lats while benching, deadlifting, etc etc.

It's not bodybuilding, but it's not as cut and dry as you said IMO.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Eh don't really agree, such as hips through being done so by glute activation. Lats while benching, deadlifting, etc etc.

It's not bodybuilding, but it's not as cut and dry as you said IMO.
    Aah Idk how to explain, and I did phrase it in a really BOLD way, I just mean you have to focus (on bench for example) on flexing the back keeping it TIGHT and keeping the arch on the lower back tight...perhaps that in a way is MM connection but I see it as "staying tight" , then again you DO need to connect to it though...

BTW You train PL too...any good Hip and Glute exercises to add in for building strength there as assistance?

I already do and periodize Good mornings, Hip thrusts, Lunges, Lunges to the side, Romanian and hypers :/
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Aah Idk how to explain, and I did phrase it in a really BOLD way, I just mean you have to focus (on bench for example) on flexing the back keeping it TIGHT and keeping the arch on the lower back tight...perhaps that in a way is MM connection but I see it as "staying tight" , then again you DO need to connect to it though...

BTW You train PL too...any good Hip and Glute exercises to add in for building strength there as assistance?

I already do and periodize Good mornings, Hip thrusts, Lunges, Lunges to the side, Romanian and hypers :/
    GHRs

All those exercises are good.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

GHRs

All those exercises are good.
    Roger that! Thanks bro.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Outside of maybe deads (and this is only for a period of time), there's not really a time when you just relax and then do the movement since tightness is always the number one requirement. I get what you're trying to say, but, when it comes to pre-meet prep, you have to dial it in and focus on getting your total. Far too often, and this really applies when you're just starting out, lifters add in too much and too many lifts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Good stuff in here. I wish my gym had a GHR station. I was trying to do them by locking into a pull down apparatus and falling away from the machine...felt a little weird, but might try again.

Good luck on prepping for first meet! Will be following.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Ok this past week was hectic, and a lot of mistakes were made in the gym...atm i'm on a different city & country altogether, without classes...so time to get serious since it's 11 weeks out today.

First off Change of Plans.

Monday: Squat ME (with assistances included) + HIIT (sprints or build ups with a 30 second hold)
    Tuesday: Bench ME + Upper pull and push assistance.
    Wednesday: LISS beach run , or walk for however much I feel like...technically just a rest day.
    Thursday: Squat DE (with assistances) + HIIT
    Friday: Bench DE + Upper Pull and Push assistance, more emphasis on prehab today.
    Saturday: HIIT.
    Sunday: Rest.

OR

Monday: Squat ME and assistances + HIIT
    Tuesday: Bench ME + Push/Pull assistances
    Wednesday: Deadlift ME and assistances+ HIIT
    Thursday: Bench DE + Push/Pull assistances and prehab.
    Friday: Squat DE + HIIT
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: rest.

Assistances for lower body ME or DE days would be 1 hip/glute movement , 1 quad movement and 1-2 core movements.

Assistances for upper body ME or DE would be 1 back width and 1 back strength, 1 triceps push , 1 supplemental part of bench lift (weather floor press or any other movement helping the bottom or lower portion of the movement) and 1-2 shoulder and/or scapula prehab exercises.

Thoughts? (If anyone would care to jump in) In case it's plan A (with only 4 lifting days) I would do 2-3 weeks of squats and then 1-2 weeks of deads and speed pulls...specially since I don't think it's alright to mix wide stance squat and sumo deadlift. Yet it is a contest prep...and I need Bench and Squat to really go up...so I'm up for suggestions and comments.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

You need to be squatting and deadlifting, not one or the other. Plan B in that case, with an off day in the middle after Day 2, not 2 days off at the end of the week.

Good luck recovering from that much HIIT as well.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

You need to be squatting and deadlifting, not one or the other. Plan B in that case, with an off day in the middle after Day 2, not 2 days off at the end of the week.

Good luck recovering from that much HIIT as well.
    HIIT 3x a week bad? But yeah thought about making wednesday a recovery day...sorta like

Mon-Squat ME
    Tue-Bench ME
    Wed-rest
    Thu-Dead ME
    Fri-Bench DE
    Sat-squat DE

Or in that case I could skip Squat ME better and just do:

Mon-Dead ME HIIT
    Tue-Bench ME
    Wed-LISS
    Thu-Squat DE
    Fri-Bench DE
    Sat-HIIT
    Sun-Rest
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

HIIT 3x a week bad? But yeah thought about making wednesday a recovery day...sorta like

Mon-Squat ME
    Tue-Bench ME
    Wed-rest
    Thu-Dead ME
    Fri-Bench DE
    Sat-squat DE

Or in that case I could skip Squat ME better and just do:

Mon-Dead ME HIIT
    Tue-Bench ME
    Wed-LISS
    Thu-Squat DE
    Fri-Bench DE
    Sat-HIIT
    Sun-Rest
    You should be doing heavy squats.

HIIT with proper intensity plus all the squat/dead volume is a lot to recover from, 1-2x is plenty.

Are you doing cardio for what reason, health?
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

You should be doing heavy squats.

HIIT with proper intensity plus all the squat/dead volume is a lot to recover from, 1-2x is plenty.

Are you doing cardio for what reason, health?
    Health and some family time...my dad never works out and kinda hates the fact I do, he came up to me today and told me he wanted to go walking or maybe even jogging with me...so basically real leisure stuff. The HIIT however, yeah that's more for fat loss. I can take not being under 10% without a problem, but I don't wanna turn into a blob.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Health and some family time...my dad never works out and kinda hates the fact I do, he came up to me today and told me he wanted to go walking or maybe even jogging with me...so basically real leisure stuff. The HIIT however, yeah that's more for fat loss. I can take not being under 10% without a problem, but I don't wanna turn into a blob.
    Just don't go too crazy with the cardio. If fat gain is a problem, adjust your diet, too much cardio is going to slow your progress.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Just don't go too crazy with the cardio. If fat gain is a problem, adjust your diet, too much cardio is going to slow your progress.
    I'll keep HIIT 2x a week then , cardio will be just that, liss and boding time I guess. I can always just adjust the carb intake then.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 10 Weeks Out from First Meet...
    By CDiesel313 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
  3. 14 weeks out Advice?
    By yosahab in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation