Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 MASS Plan

TorqueGTR04

Awards
What's up AM,

I'm currently in prep mode for my wedding coming up in October, wanting to be in prime condition for the big day! After a year or two of yo-yo-ing between 190 and 205 lbs and never being as lean as I want to, I took the plunge on Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 on February 1st, and my results so far have been phenomenal. For the first time on a diet I've maintained lean mass and strength but in 5 weeks I'm down around 4% bodyfat (from 15.5% to the 11-12% range), 2.5" off the waist, and getting pretty close to a real six pack! haha.

Here's the website for Lyle, check out his products if you never have before. Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition. lots of helpful articles too.

As much as this has worked for me with cutting and maintaining LBM, I'm going to give this a go for bulking while maintaining BF%. The book gets into it in detail, but the whole diet takes advantage of nutrient partitioning to maximize lean gains and bf losses. I will be doing the mass variation that Lyle outlines in his book.

I am currently finishing up my last week and a half of the UD 2.0 for cutting, and will post the results I've had from that as well as outlining my plans for my 6-8 week run of UD 2.0 mass. I've just been waiting to get this log started and didn't want to throw it all in one post. Will be following up with a planned diet, supplement regimen, workout. Pics and body stats will eventually be included.

So who's in?? Also, would love to hear some experiences of anyone who's tried the UD and loved it as much as me!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Thanks Rosie!

Glad you came by this post. I've learned a lot reading your posts on AM over the past few months.

The adjustments I will be making are mainly to calorie levels on the low carb days (the same variation Lyle mentions in the back of the book). This will be my setup, with the cycle starting on Wednesdays instead of Mondays.

Wednesday: High Rep Workout, <100g carbs, Maintenance cals -25%
Thursday: High Rep Workout, <100g carbs, Maintenance cals -25%
Friday: same diet as Wed-Thu
Saturday: same diet as above until 5pm, Heavy Tension workout, Carb load in evening
Sunday: Carb load
Monday: Power workout, Maintenance cals +10%
Tuesday: Maintenance cals +10%

If I'm not making lean gains as quickly as I want, I will bump up to 10% under maintenance on the low calorie/carb days. But seeing as I've gotten stronger on the lower calorie variant I think I will be fine as is :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie!

Glad you came by this post. I've learned a lot reading your posts on AM over the past few months.

The adjustments I will be making are mainly to calorie levels on the low carb days (the same variation Lyle mentions in the back of the book). This will be my setup, with the cycle starting on Wednesdays instead of Mondays.

Wednesday: High Rep Workout, <100g carbs, Maintenance cals -25%
Thursday: High Rep Workout, <100g carbs, Maintenance cals -25%
Friday: same diet as Wed-Thu
Saturday: same diet as above until 5pm, Heavy Tension workout, Carb load in evening
Sunday: Carb load
Monday: Power workout, Maintenance cals +10%
Tuesday: Maintenance cals +10%

If I'm not making lean gains as quickly as I want, I will bump up to 10% under maintenance on the low calorie/carb days. But seeing as I've gotten stronger on the lower calorie variant I think I will be fine as is :)
No worries :)

I'm spending a little more time on the forums after some hiatus. Glad my posts have been useful for you!

Yeah, my adjustments were more along the lines of timing of meals and what, etc., since compromising my training is NOT something I am ever willing to do, and only training the way recommended is not an option for me; as well as a little re meals, etc., but otherwise, managing so far with it (you can read my notes on it when I make my weekly log update tomorrow).

Sounds like a plan. Adjust on a weekly basis, dependent on your results from that week. I'll be watching!

~Rosie~

TorqueGTR04

Awards
UD2 Mass Diet Plan

So here's what my setup is going to look like for the UD2 Mass Plan. I'm not going to really go into extreme detail of how I got these calculations because I encourage all of you to go straight to the source - that being Lyle's book. I will put up my macro plans and stats, meaning that any mathematically inclined person could figure out the calculations, but the point remains that you won't do this diet RIGHT without getting the book. But I digress....

The cycle works best with my schedule to start on a Wednesday. I will go low carb (<100 per day) 3.5 days out of the week, carb load for 30 hours, and eat about 15% above maintenance for the last 2 days of the cycle.

Wednesday-Friday
2,250 cal
Protein - 290g, Carb - 100g, Fat - 75g

Saturday until 5pm
1,700 cal
Protein - 215g, Carb - 75g, Fat - 60g

Saturday PM - Sunday
5,400 cal
Protein - 170g, Carb - 1050g, Fat - 60g

Monday - Tuesday
3,250 cal
Protein - 290g, Carb - 330g, Fat - 85g

All numbers above are rounded based on calculations I made from the UD2 book. They are based on my LBM of roughly 166 lbs, and all maintenance calculations come from total estimated body weight of roughly 188 lbs.

Workout plan to come!

TorqueGTR04

Awards
How I will operate this log

Overall Updates
My plan is to update this log pretty frequently, somewhere in the realm of every 1-2 days with updates on how everything is going - especially on workout days to post changes in workout numbers, etc.

Bodyweight
I will weigh every day (first thing after peeing) and list my weigh ins for each day. Weight fluctuations will be constant due to carb and creatine loading, as well as low carb days where water weight/glycogen will be lower. The main points of comparison will be my "weekly average weight" and by comparing daily weight to the last week's weigh in.

Diet

Not going to go crazy here. I'll just mention if I hit or miss my macros. And of course I will give details on my weekly carb load (fun) days :)
Workouts
I'll give my full routine at the beginning and may mention some weights used during my workout updates. The main day to compare weights used will be for my Monday workouts (heavy power workout)

Body Stats
Going to run this program for 8 weeks. I'll give consistent weight changes, but measurements (arm, chest, waist, thigh, etc...) will be every other week, along with a 3 point caliper measurement (not the most accurate I know, but keeps it simple) and estimated bf%.

Supps
Going to keep these consistent throughout the log, but if I can attribute any changes to supplements I will do so. Also going to give a full list before I start. Plans right now are for Creatine mono, DAA, PHF 6-bromo (main thing I'm testing out), and a pre-workout on certain days, not all.

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Workout Routine

Here's my workout routine that I will be adhering to. Wednesday and Thursday are designed to deplete muscle glycogen and support fat oxidation, although to a slightly lesser extent for the mass variant than on the fat loss variant. For that reason I will be lowering the reps from 15 to 12 and increasing the weight slightly to instill a bit more of an anabolic response. The tension workout on Saturday is a full body workout meant to prime the body for the carb load, and Monday's power workout is the day to put up some PR's on heavy compound lifts.

Wednesday -Chest, Back, Shoulders, Calves
Tension/Depletion Hybrid
45-60 seconds TUT per set
1 minute rest between sets
Perform Twice

Hammer Flat Bench - 2 x 12
Weighted Pull Up - 2 x 12
Cable Fly - 2 x 12
T-Bar Row - 2 x 12
Upright Row - 2 x 12
Straight Calf Raise - 2 x 12
Lateral Raise - 2 x 12

Thursday -
Quads, Hams, Biceps, Triceps
Tension/Depletion Hybrid
45-60 sec TUT
1 minute rest
Perform Twice

Leg Press - 2 x 12
Barbell Curl - 2 x 12
RDL - 2 x 12
Skull Crusher - 2 x 12
Leg Extension - 2 x 12
Incline DB Curl - 2 x 12
Leg Curl - 2 x 12
Overhead Extension - 2 x 12

Saturday -
Full Body
Tension/Hypertrophy Workout
75-85% 1RM, slightly shy of failure
90 sec rest

Hack Squat - 3 x 8
RDL - 3 x 10
Standing Machine Calf Raise - 3 x 8
DB Flat Bench - 2 x 8
Wide Grip T-Bar Row - 2 x 8
Incline Hammer Press - 2 x 10
Pull Up - 2 x 10
Arnold Press - 3 x 8
DB Curl - 2 x 10
DB Overhead Extension - 2 x 10

Monday - Full Body
Power Workout
3 minute rests
Maximum Weight/Effort within rep range

Bench Press - 3 x 4
Underhand Row - 3 x 4
Squat - 4 x 4
Calf Raise - 4 x 6
Incline DB Press - 3 x 6
Weighted Pull Up - 3 x 6
Shoulder Press - 3 x 6
Barbell Curl - 2 x 6
Weighted Dip - 2 x 6

D3Baseball

Awards
I'm in for this! I'm running my second cut with UD 2.0 right now - first time I lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and gained mass on my arms -- pretty impressive.

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Yeah, it's a solid routine! I love it. Everything from the full body workouts to the diet in itself, it has done wonders for me.

I'm really sold on carb cycling in general, I think I will use it for a long time to come. Although next up on my list after UD2 Mass and a final wedding UD2 cut (maintenance breaks in between, of course), is going to be Lean Gains style Intermittent Fasting. Interested to see how that works out too

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Supplements

These are the Supplements I will be running:

Dymatize Micronized Creatine

20g load on high carb day, 5g before tension workout

Purus Labs D-Pol
3 capsules daily for first 30 days, Bulk DAA 3g daily to finish out

PHF 6-Bromo
8 weeks
1 week @ 50mg
6 week @ 100mg
1 week @ 50mg

Standards
-Various pre-workouts before power workout. Changes depending on what I have on hand
-Multi-vitamin
-Fish Oil
-Joint Support
-Protein
-Xtend BCAAs for Tension/Power workouts

The main things that are "additional" to what McDonald recommends are the 6-bromo and D-Aspartic Acid. Just looking for a solid test boost from the DAA and to keep estrogen under control while maybe leaning a bit from the 6-bromo. Not thinking these will make crazy changes but it will certainly keep test levels high while running a calorie deficit for half of the week.

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Day 1

Started the UD 2 Mass this morning:

Weight - 189.8

Workout - Chest/Back/Shoulders/Calves Depletion

Weights moved pretty easy, may have to bump some of them up a bit for the depletion. As mentioned before, not going to go into super detail on depletion workouts because after a point I'm certain I won't be setting any records weight wise. Doing this split felt like a pretty good change though and was still just as intense as full body variations from the original UD2. Kinda scared to do the lower body workout tomorrow! Sixteen sets of legs with short rests between sets...not gonna be fun.

I'm also on day 3 of 6-bromo and Purus Labs D-Pol (D Aspartic Acid). Noticed some pretty solid pumps from D-pol today and may even be dropping some water from the 6-bromo but I think its a bit too soon to tell for certain. Looked dryer than usual at the gym today but I doubt it's really from the bromo just yet.

Supplements
PHF 6-bromo 50 mg
Purus Labs D-Pol 3 capsules (45 min pre workout)
Cellucor N0 (30 min pre-workout) - creatine free pre workout

Diet Goals
290g protein
100g carbs
75g fat
~2250 cal

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Day 3

Weight this morning - 188.6 (-1.2 lb)

Lost weight obviously, but this is certainly water and glycogen weight from being between 90-100g carbs daily. Weight should shoot up by the time I hit my carb load tomorrow. Maybe have lost some fat in there too but it's doubtful - if I can make this a nice recomp though I will be very happy.

Had a pretty good workout this morning. It was my legs and arms split - definitely exhausted after knocking out 16 sets of legs and 16 of arms. Strength felt pretty good and I can definitely up my weight on several of the workouts next week.

Knees were bugging me a bit today, wondering if it's the 6-bromo but I'm doubting it. I'm only at 50 mg, and have run it at 150 before with no problems. Nevertheless I'm going to get serious about my fish oil and gluco/chon/MSM intake now, don't wanna be like the tin man.

SupplementsPHF 6-Bromo 50 mg
Purus Labs D-Pol 3 caps (pre-wo)
Cellucor N0 (pre-wo)

Diet Goals
290g protein
100g carbs
75g fat
~2250 cal

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Day 5 - Power Workout

Weight Monday Morning: 193.2 (+3.4)

This weight is inflated because it was after the carb and creatine load. Had a very strong power workout this week! Weight dropped down significantly by Tuesday morning (today), however

Weight Tuesday Morning: 189.6 (-0.2)

Change is probably because I didn't eat a lot yesterday and I happened to poop before weighing

I will post the power workout numbers up soon, just wanted to drop in some updates on weight.

D3Baseball

Awards
I don't see a lot of people running 6-bromo solo. What do you think of it?

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Last time I ran it I loved it. Did 30 days at 150mg and put a good 15lbs on my bench while dropping some bf%. Nothing too crazy, but my diet was terrible at the time and I still saw good results from it.

I'm running it a little more conservatively this time because I know it's androgenic conversion has potential to drop natural test production. I have upped it to 100mg though from 50mg in the first week. I always notice a really good increase in performance - not crazy boosts in strength like PH/DS gives, but I consistently feel pretty "alpha male" at the gym.

After a week of 6 bromo at 50mg I've noticed a few strength increases. One thing to remember is it's also after a carb load and creatine load, but I will compare to the last time I carb and creatine loaded on the UD2 which was 2 weeks ago:

Flat Bench:
Monday 3/12 - 275 x 4,4,3
Monday 3/26 - 280 x 4,4,4 (after one week of 6-bromo at 50mg)

DB Incline Bench:
Monday 3/12 - 100's x 8,7,6
Monday 3/26 - 100's x 8,8,8

Weighted Pull Up:
Monday 3/12 - BW+30lb x 6,6,5
Monday 3/26 - BW+35lb x 6,6,6

D3Baseball

Awards
So not very suppressive but still some androgenic-like effects and body composition effects. Cool, I may check it out soon it doesn't seem to be very expensive.

TorqueGTR04

Awards
Weight this morning - 186.6 (lowest in a LONG time. Ate well yesterday, not sure why - hopefully body fat drop!)

Carbing up after the tension workout tonight, should see the weight increase again. All I really care about is seeing myself push some more weight at the power workout. If I get stronger but my weight is staying around the same I know I'm recomping well.