Toro's quest for Strength and Shred

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As classes begin to wind down, summer quickly approaches, and good feelings abound from the warm sun and vibrant Spring life, it's about that time to cut the **** and start getting serious.

I must admit, I've only been training seriously for about a year. I started about this time last year, when I decided that maybe diet played an important role in exercise, that I should work out regularly, and that skipping squat days because I "didn't feel like it" was just not the manly thing to do.

Long story short, I dialed in my diet, lifted like a fiend, and now I'm at a real good place, sitting at 6'3, 217lbs, and about 12-13%, all down from a whopping 250lb since early, early January (I had a real bad attempt at a bulk).

So, what are my goals?
-Get shredded
-Get strong

Realistically, I'll be happy to hit 7% and maintain some strength. This will not be easy, and it definitely will take strict discipline as, well, usually you do one or the other. Fortunately in my very short lifting career I still sometimes get strong simply by making fixes to my form to better apply force to the weight, or just developing better nerve-muscle connection.

So how am I accomplishing these goals?
-Diet
-Lifting hard
-Cardio out the wazoo

I'm basically following my diet from last Summer which gave me good results, which was high fat, moderate/high protein, low carb. It was modeled after the anabolic diet, but not quite as clean (which itself is kind of like a dirty CKD). I also threw in tons of cardio. I have not been terribly diligent with my cardio like I was last year, though I still hit it 5x/week, because of class. Now, I can be. Lifting wise, I've been adopting several things from DC training piecewise that have proven to be far more efficacious in helping me develop strength. Thus, I will continue with that. What I do is not DC, just very identical. Deal with it.

I had another log on here before (it wasn't a workout log, more like a supplement log detailing any interactions or side effects). While I kept that up to date very well for the most part, it kind of went south, mostly because of exams/papers/etc. Well, I maintain a pretty consistent workout log over at another website (since around June/July), so I'm pretty sure I can handle this one without a problem.

The arsenal
-Gym
-iPod
-EAS Whey Protein (hoping to switch to something better soon)
-Creatine Mono
-Generic Multi-Vitamin
-ZMA + GABA
-Muscle Pharm Assault (may change this out for a carb-free PreWO)
-Athletix Adamantium (got it for a semi-PCT that actually was not needed, but hey I can still make use of it!)
-PES Erase and Alpha-T2

Lets get this show on the road!

-----------------------

P.S.: posted up workouts beginning from about 10 days ago when I started lifting again after a brief break after discovering I had exertion headaches.

P.P.S.:

*rp means rest-pause (15 deep breaths, usually takes about 20-25 seconds)
*negs means negatives
*"static at end" means static hold was done during the last set
*"static after" means static hold was done after the last set, meaning set was done, weight was racked, and then picked back up for a static hold

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 04/21/11

UPPER BODY

DECLINE BENCH
245-8,3,2-13 rp
Negatives plus static after

SEATED BB PRESS
135-6,2,1-9 rp
Controlled reps plus static at end

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
165-8,2,2-12 rp
Negatives plus static at end

**DC stretches for chest and triceps**

REVERSE PEC DEC REAR DELT
100-12
120-12,12

EXTERIOR ROTATORS (cable)
25-15,15,15

**DC stretch for delts**

Kinda have had some sh*t workouts, mostly due to the intermittent headaches or neck/trap cramps. Thankfully I think ibuprofen has helped somewhat. I'm really looking forward to a diagnosis from my doctors.

--------------------------

FRIDAY 04/22/11

LOWER BODY

HACK SQUATS (weight minus sled)
360-3+1(range of motion sucked on 3rd)
270-20

DEADLIFT
445-5 hamstrings totally fried
405-9

**DC stretches for hams and quads**

TBAR ROWS (weight on bar)
180-7,4,3-14 rp
Negatives

**DC stretch for back**

SEATED EZ BAR CURLS
89.5-8,2,2-12 rp
Fat negatives plus static at end

Only did biceps today because I couldn't do them on Thursday as I had just worked them out on Wednesday of that same week.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 04/25/11

UPPER BODY

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
175-9,4,2-15 rp
Nice negatives plus short static at end

LATERAL RAISES
40-10,6,3-19 rp
1.5-2 second hold at top

DIPS (BW@219)
45-9,2,1-12 rp

STANDING EZ PREACHER CURLS
89.5-9,4,3-16 rp
Nice negatives plus static

REAR DELT RAISES
EXTERIOR ROTATORS

**DC stretches for everything**

--------------

TUESDAY 04/26/11

LOWER BODY

RACK PULLS (mid shins)
495-5
435-10

LEG PRESS (weight minus sled)
785-6
695-20

DC CALF HACK SQUAT RAISE

CLOSE GRIP CHINUPS
70-4,3,1-8 rp
Negatives on first 2sets only

**DC stretch for back**

ROPE AB CURLS
130-20
160-12,11,10

LEG RAISES
3x20

---------------

THURSDAY 04/28/11

UPPER BODY

DECLINE BENCH
255-8,3,1- 12 rp
Negs plus static last set

SEATED BB PRESS
135-6,2,1-9 rp plus forced rep
Great negs plus static last set

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
165-9,3,1-13 rp
Negatives plus fat static last set

FACE PULLS
110-15
130-15
150-12,12,12

25-15,15,15

**DC stretch for delts**

SEATED EZ BAR CURLS
89.5-8,2,2-12 rp
Fat negatives plus static last set

**DC stretch for biceps**

Had to begin using this breathing technique where I let a little air out at the bottom of a rep and then continue letting air out on the way up as I press. This is to prevent my exertion headaches. Pulling motions for the most part (exception - pullups) do not aggravate the condition.

------------------

FRIDAY 04/29/11

LOWER BODY

370-4+2 first 2 reps not deep
280-20

DEADLIFT
445-6
405-7

190-6,3,1
Controlled negs plus static at end

**DC stretch for back**

STANDING ROPE AB CURLS
140-20
160-12,11,10

LEG TO CEILING AND NEGATIVES ON DESCENT
4,4,4 - this tore my abs apart

Started getting headache during hack squats. It didnt come on full force and I was able to get through the workout fine.

Last edited:
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 05/02/11

UPPER BODY

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
185-8,4,2-14 rp
Nice negatives plus short static at end

LATERAL RAISES
45-9,5,4-18 rp
Controlled reps

DIPS
45-8,3,2-13 rp
Great Negatives plus nice static at end

STANDING EZ PREACHERS
99.5-8,3,1-12 rp
Nice negatives plus 25 sec static

LYING REAR DELT RAISES

Well this was my second lifting day while on this new medicine for my exertion headaches. It's some derivative of ibuprofen, Indomethacin @ 50mgs. I take it 3 hours before lifting, and it works very well. The worst movement to aggravate these debilitating heachaes, after barbell squats, is the incline bench press. Today, I not only had no headache but I had no neck or trap cramping like I have had all last week. Very awesome. Looking forward to lifting without pain.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TUESDAY 05/03/11

LOWER BODY

RACK PULLS (below knee)
515-5 Form got destroyed on the last one of these
495-10

795-5 got crushed but saved on 6th lol
705-20

DC CALF HACK SQUAT RAISES

CLOSE GRIP CHINUPS
70-5,2,2-9 rp
Negatives on all sets. woulda had 10 but missed 3rd on set 2

**DC stretch for back**

SOME UPPER BACK ARCH GOOD MORNINGS

BG's AB RIPPER

LEG RAISES
3x20

I'd give this workout a 7/10. I was real disappointed with my leg press (I had 6 in me with the heavy weight, but failed because of leg cramps), and I almost got crushed to death by the weight. And as I really like the leg press, I'm docking a lot of points (2) for missing that. Also still not up to par, but really close to my rack pulls PR with that pin setting, not to mention my form was a tad better. Really liked the chins and ab work, though.

Last edited:
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 05/05/11

UPPER BODY

DECLINE BENCH
255-7,2,1-10 rp
Fat negs plus static last set

SEATED BB PRESS
135-7,2,1- rp plus forced rep

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
165-9,4,3-16 rp
Great Negatives plus fat static last set

FACE PULLS
110-15
130-15
150-12,12,12

25-15,15,15

**DC stretch for delts**

SEATED EZ BAR CURLS
89.5-9,4,2-15 rp
Fat negatives plus static last set

So, I went down in a movement but went up in two. Let me explain the decline bench. Last week, I think I breezed through one of my sets as I was suffering from exertion headaches still (I wasn't medicating with the good stuff yet). Now that I am feeling pretty comfortable throughout my lifting, I actually took those reps really slow (negatives were 4-6 seconds in length), and so that's what led to the decrease in reps. Everything else I really liked, though the facepulls felt pretty difficult as did the shoulder pressing. I need to remember for shoulder pressing to really squeeze all my muscles to power the bar more. I think that's what helped me just annihilate the close grip bench.

Today's cardio sucked so much. I always do stairmaster for 20 minutes @ lvl 8 (this is the one with moving pads, not the elevator-style one), and usually I can work through it no problem. This time I felt like I was going to die come the 5 minute mark (15 minutes elapsed). I think this is a pretty good indicator that I'll need a refeed of sorts one day this weekend. I'm not particularly fond of refeeds as I can never do it clean (it always ends up looking more isocaloric than clean and carb heavy). We'll see if I'm up for it. Really liking the progress, and those face pulls and my new rear delt movements have brought out my rear delts very nicely. Can't wait to deadlift tomorrow (but I am fearing the squats already).

Vanilla Goril

Awards
sick kid...loving the workout but how are you splitting the days? do you have a rest day? Just wondering.

Keep up the hard work

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sick kid...loving the workout but how are you splitting the days? do you have a rest day? Just wondering.

Keep up the hard work
Hey man, thanks for the props. Basically, here is my routine (I should really call these anterior and posterior splits, lol):

Monday - Upper
Tuesday - Lower
Wednesday - Off/Cardio
Thursday - Upper
Friday - Lower
Saturday/Sunday - Off/Cardio

Cardio on off days is 20 minutes of high intensity (read: not HIIT) followed by 20-40 minutes of LISS cardio. I used to do some grip work on some of my off days, but I stopped doing when I injured a forearm muscle. Since it's all healed up I might go back to doing grip work again, maybe on Sundays.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, I gotta say. I just finished eating about 11.2 oz (wet) ground beef marinated with some good steak sauce (forget the name, not A1) and garlic, served with mustard and with a cup of oatmeal prepared in 3/2 cups of milk. Absolutely killer. I literally feel my body expand a little bit after eating this oatmeal (don't know if its the warmth of the glucose or insulin spike).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 05/06/11

LOWER BODY

380-6+1 penultimate rep not too deep
290-20

DEADLIFT
445-6 fml
405-7 too exhausted

190-6,3,2-11 rp
Controlled negs plus static after

**DC stretch for back**

DC CALF LEG PRESS

STANDING ROPE AB CRUNCHES
150-20
160-12,12,12,10

LEG RAISES

I was very happy with the squats today. I have no idea where I summoned the strength, but I hit +2 reps for a total of 6, including one that was just parallel or a hair above, for a +10lb jump (not a weight PR, but PR in reps). I really killed the widowmaker, too. I was disappointed that I stalled on deadlifts. I guess I should stop doing facepulls the day before deadlifting; it does seem counterproductive, to say the least lol. I also practically fell asleep/passed out during my ab work I was so tired. That kind of sucked. I guess my cortisol must be really shut down by Erase.

I am really wanting to get through this blast first, but I am also strongly thinking I should switch my back stuff during my "upper" days and move biceps to leg day. It is just so much to do back in addition to legs on the same day. I did the split this way as it was supposed to be good for avoiding injury, but as I deadlift so much I think I might benefit from following a more traditional DC layout. So I might go ahead and change things now for next week. This would allow me to put in all my back work on one day, which would be nice.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Talked over with some other people, decided on a new routine.

Lifting EOD

Day A: Upper Split

-Bench Variation
-Shoulder Pressing Variation
-Tricep Pressing Variation
-Pullup/Rowing Variation
-Deadlift or Rack Pulls
-Shoulder Health Movements (rear delts, exterior rotator, rotator cuffs, etc)

Day B: Lower Split

-Bicep Curl Variation
-Bicep Widowmaker using Hammer Curls or other movement
-DC Calf Press/Raise
-Squat Variation or Leg Press
-Accessory Quad or Ham work depending on which muscle got hit hardest by above movment

I won't really go into why the setup changed other than receiving expert feedback suggesting I try this out. I am running this EOD to ensure I get some rest in between, and after today I know I will definitely need it.

--------

MONDAY 05/09/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
185-9,4,2-15 rp
Great negatives plus 10-15 sec static after

STANDING BB PRESS
95-9,4,3-16 rp
Fatass negatives plus static at end

DIPS
45-8,4,2-14 rp
Great Negatives plus short static at end

WEIGHTED CHINUPS @ 218lb BW
70-5,2,2-9 rp
Fat negs plus long static at end

RACK PULLS
515-5
475-13

LYING REAR DELT RAISES

I felt completely vamped after this workout. Was really running out of gas by the time I began rack pulling. This showed with my totally ass rack pulls at 515. I also partially blame this one guy who, while he was well intentioned, he tried to preach to me about my "unsafe" form on the rack pulls and how I should change it. What he said made its way into my head, and now I can't set up right with my rack pulls with heavy weight - like I'm having problems applying force like I used to. Oh well, we'll work on this. The 475 went real well, little to no bouncing between reps. Moving up the incline bench weight next time, but sticking with the same weight on dips and pullups. Also staying with the same weight with standing overhead presses, using this as kind of a light pressing day and experimenting with this, moving weight up only after about 18-20 reps.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 05/11/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
45-8,3,1-12 rp

HAMMER CURLS
50-15,5-20 rp
5 sec pause to relax rotator cuff, I was having issues with it today (bad posture sleeping?)

DC CALF RAISES
300-12

LEG EXTENSIONS
150-10,10,10

LEG CURLS
100-10,10,8

BOX SQUATS
315-6 <-- cramped up everywhere, but so glad I made it to 6
225-20 <-- I was literally about to pass out

SCOTT SQUATS
1*Plate/side-10
Too hard to finish

**DC stretches for groin, hams, and quads**

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
160-12,12,9

LEG RAISES

This was an extremely taxing workout. It was kind of cool how it was basically all a giant ramping up until I got to squats. I hadn't touched barbell squats since January, with the sole exception of once in early April during a deload, at which point I started experiencing exertion headaches which put me out of commission for a while. It's so different how squats just strain your entire body. What was most surprising this session was how absolutely perfect my form was. I know I've been doing accessory work, even after only leg pressing or doing the Hammer Strength Hack Squat, related to strengthening stabilizing muscles in the squat, but how that carried over was great. Unfortunately, I was planning on doing a working strength set with 355 and doing a 20 repper with 265. But hey, at least I finished this workout well, so no complaints.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 05/13/11

UPPER SPLIT

DECLINE BENCH
265-4,1,1-6 rp
F**K used wrong weight by mistake, meant to use 255
Spotted and lifted off solo, kinda compounded the difficulty of the lift

DECLINE BENCH HAMMER STRENGTH
200-20 rep widowmaker

SEATED MILITARY PRESS
135-5,3,1-9 rp
Used improvised setup, made workout harder giving self liftoff

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
175-7,3,2-12 rp

ISO LATERAL HIGH ROW
270-10
360-8
430-6,4,2-12 rp
Negatives

DEADLIFTS
445-6
405-9

NO CARDIO TODAY

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 05/16/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
105-9,4,2-15 rp
Good negatives plus static at end

PINWHEEL CURLS
65-8,4,3-15 rp

DC CALF PRESSES
+290-12
15 sec holds

GLUTE HAM RAISES
BW-5
BW-5,3,1-8 rp
Nice, here's a starting place

SCOTT SQUATS
2*Plates-10

LEG PRESS
800-9
620-20
Easy 9 reps, i caught on fire after though

**DC stretches for quads, hams, and biceps**

HANGING AB RIPPER

DECLINE CRUNCHES STEEPEST

So today I crushed the leg press. I am beginning to notice how pre-exhaustion workouts for legs is helping me hit the leg workouts with better strength, so I think this is why Dante suggests doing these before hitting the compound lifts. Thus I shall do so from now on out. Finished with a pretty heavy 1388 calorie post workout meal (not including PWO shake). Unfortunately it had a lot of fats and less carbs than I thought it would, which is less than ideal, but that's what I get for eating out I guess. No real harm done since I took BCAAs in my PWO shake. Looking real lean now. Looks like the major areas I have to lose fat are my thighs and obliques. Ab area is pretty lean (visible 6 pack), and I dont hold fat in my lower back (most Salvadoran men don't), so I'm probably sitting at 12% or less now.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 05/18/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
225-6,3,1-10 rp
Nice negatives plus static at end

PUSH PRESS
155-6
155-6,1,3-10 rp
These were retarded as ****, using dumbbell movement or something next time. I feel like I have 0 leg power in these, or 0 coordination between legs and shoulders to properly do these. I have 155 listed twice for 6 reps as I had to stop after my first set when I dropped the weight and readjust everything.

SEATED DB PRESS WIDOWMAKER
50-20

SMITH JM PRESS (22lb bar)
112-10,5,3-18 rp
Great negatives plus static at end

BENT OVER ROWS
245-10,5,3-18 rp
Controlled reps
My wrist wraps are trapped at another gym until they reopen, so I had to make due without them which is why I used the lower weight.

NARROW TBAR (weight on bar)
180-6,2,2-10 rp
Good negatives but range of motion issue on 3rd rep 2nd set

FACE PULLS
100-12,12,12
Different machine, weight felt heavier. Decent sets.

NO CARDIO TODAY

Overall I give this workout a 6/10. I am glad I hit some of the numbers I did. Clearly nothing is totally out of whack. It's funny, but I could have done much better on the flat bench had I not totally blown my load during warmups. I completely overdid it, I don't know why, and by the time I got to 225 I felt sore as opposed to warmed up in my chest. Still... The push presses were a total bummer and waste of time and energy I think. I will no longer do those during my DC training. JM presses were amazing, and I not only hit them with proper form but practically felt my triceps exploding afterwards. Used a different setup for face pulls than usual since I was at a new gym, and it kind of sucked. I didn't get out of them what I usually do. Also, I did no cardio, so that kind of sucked. I just didn't have time after work.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 05/20/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
45-8,4,2-14 rp
Great negs plus long static at end

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
100-21

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
270-12
15 sec holds and negatives
This movement aggravates my knees still

SEATED LEG CURLS
100-10,10,10

LEG EXTENSIONS
150-10,10,10

SMITH HACK/SISSY SQUAT HYBRID
132-3 <-- failed 4th
92-20
Quads are fried

ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS
315-13
Didn't feel this tear my hamstrings at all ... until 2 hours later :)

**DC Stretches for everything**

Well, I was sort of happy with this workout. It was truncated - gym closed so I had to leave before getting to abs, but thankfully I finished the bulk of my lifts plus stretching. I would have loved to have done front squats for my quad movement, but sadly I "don't know" how to do them, lol. From what I learned trying to do Push Presses during a blast, trying out new movements and having to learn the proper form takes up too much and is not worth it, so I'm better of sticking with familiar movements. I think I'll arrange my workouts in the future so I can hit up a different gym I've been to before that has a hack squat machine so I can use that as my 3rd quad movement. Given what I had, I still enjoyed this workout. I may post thoughts on a new supp I'm taking, Ragnarok, for pre-WO.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 05/23/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH
185-8,3,2-13 rp plus forced rep
Great negatives plus static after
Gave self lift offs

WIDE UPRIGHT ROWS
95-11,5,4-19 rp
Great negatives

DIPS
45-9,4,2-15 rp
Goods negatives plus static at end

CHINUPS
70-5,2,2-9 rp
Fat negatives

RACK PULLS (Below knee)
515-12
565-1

*DC Stretches for everything**

Today's workout was a mixed bag. I helped my girl move today which I thought would somewhat affect my workout. It must not have considering the biggest impact would be with my rack pulls, but clearly I blew my old PR out the water today. I did fail on the incline bench, AND I was supposed to use heavier weight on top of that, too haha. Oh well, I'll still stick with it especially since dropping numbers can be expected on a cut. Dips and pullups went well, definitely have to use more weight on my rack pulls. I decided to remodify the workout a bit since I had been focusing so much on front delts without enough lateral delt emphasis, which I know may cause overpressing issues soon enough. I'll just do standing overhead presses instead of push presses, and seated military will still be next upper day (Friday).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great stuff... in to see some feedback on T-2 + Erase
Nice man. Yeah, actually on the topic of AT2 and Erase I have taken this before and absolutely loved it. I'll link you to a review I did of the products shortly. It's why I decided to run them again after a 5-6 week break.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 05/25/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
109.5-8,4,1-13 rp
Negatives plus long static at end

HAMMER CURLS
55-15

DC CALF RAISES
300-12
I lied last time, set was rest paused twice. This time straight

LEG EXTENSIONS
150-10,10,10

LEG CURLS
100-10,10
110-10

BOX SQUATS
325-5
235-20
I was literally about to pass out

CLOSE STANCE LEG SISSY PRESS
140-10

**DC stretches for hams, and quads**

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
160-12,12,12

LEG RAISES

Well, I contracted a sinus infection last night - very fun! I had a real terrible sleep from the congestion/lack of air, and having this throat since this morning sucks. Heat aggravates the condition, though it also gives me energy; it's a double edged sword. Anyways, I thought this workout would absolutely suck, but it was very sweet. Progress is steady despite calorie deficit, even though I only hit 5 on the first squat set (I aim for 6, but anything between 4-8 is fine). The 20 repper I swear I was not going to make it after I hit 10. I was gasping for air and felt weak all over, but I manned up and did it. As a reward, had a 3 meat pizza with lots of veggies...yum. I'm about to attack this sinus infection or harsh allergic reaction with my full medical arsenal, but I'll wait on the antibiotics and see what my other stuff can do first.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
F*ck, on 850mg augmentin 10x days and 40mg prednisone 3-5x days. I will not be lifting today, but I might give it a go tomorrow depending on how congested I feel. If I dont need the prednisone tomorrow I'll definitely go.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I decided to give the gym a go today. Unfortunately, karma decided to **** me in yet another way - to close down the second gym I go to and leave me with the absolute worst one available, so bad you might feel like you're in a Planet Fitness. The gym is basically an army of treadmills, a few free weight stations with the absolute worst equipment design EVER, and pop music that would be rejected from an 80s gym. Well, lets begin today's log

SATURDAY 05/28/11

UPPER BODY

DECLINE BENCH
245-6,2,1-9 rp plus forced

**DC stretches for chest**

SEATED MILITARY PRESS
125-7,3,2-12 rp

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
175-8,3,2-13 rp

**DC stretches for triceps**

WIDE PULLUPS
25-9,4,2-15 rp
Varying negatives plus long static at end

DEADLIFTS
445-5
405-5
The weight flew away from me 5th rep, failed 6th obv

**DC stretches for back**

HANGING AB RIPPER

DECLINE CRUNCHES

Well, this workout was kind of a joke. The decline bench and the seated military press both used the most awful benches in the world. The seats on these things go up to a triangle at the top, and no matter what height setting it's either sticking right into the upper inside of your lower back, or right between your scapula - a setup for disaster however you look at it. This really interfered with my setup and lifts in both places. I did have some really amazing stretch sessions later though so I felt ok about things. No Hammer Strenght ISO Lateral High Row machine, so I just did wide grip pullups weighted. These turned out pretty good when I included some great negatives. Deadlifts sucked a D because this bar was so bent, and it would not bend upwards at all! So that, plus the square weights, led to a bar that would escape from me half the time; so half of my effort was spent chasing the damn thing!

Anyways, I still did well. I really blasted through the session and finished in about an hour and 30 minutes not including LISS cardio, so that was nice. This on top of taking 850mg of augmentin I was rather pleased.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your routine could use more upper back work. BTW deads are not really an upper body lift. They are a post chain, hip extension lift. Id work them in a rotating manner with squats and add rows in place of them
But good numbers anyways and keep killin it

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BTW deads are not really an upper body lift. They are a post chain, hip extension lift. Id work them in a rotating manner with squats and add rows in place of them
But good numbers anyways and keep killin it
Thanks man.

I'm aware about the deadlift. I use it here for its utility in working the back muscles in the posterior chain, though, which they do, like the thoracic extensors, traps, etc - that which builds what one might deem as "back thickness." As I switched to a strict DC routine I'm just doing what it tells me to do, and one of the things to do is to do the deadlifts on what I'm arbitrarily referring to as my upper split.

I guess one of the reasons for doing so is it's just more tearing and rebuilding of the leg => more growth, but at this point I'm just speculating.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id personally hate to Deadlift, day off, then squat. I prefer rows for the purpose your using the deadlift, they tend to save the lower back lil more to for heavy squat/leg work. Nothing tears my back up like kroc rows. But if your doing a program, then do it as written, it was made that way for a reason lol.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice logm. Keep it up
Thanks man! I plan on it.

-----------------------

TUESDAY 05/31/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
115-7,3,1-11 rp
Good negatives plus long static at end
Used some body English 3rd rep 2nd set

PINWHEEL CURLS
65-17 straight set

**DC stretches for biceps**

DC CALF PRESSES
+290-12
15 sec holds
I did these on the leg press. I hate these, going to use standing calf raises from now on out on these days.

GLUTE HAM RAISES
BW-10,4,2-16
Rofl blew my old PR out the water, and TBH I definitely did not give this my 100% (more like 80%, trying to save some for the leg press)

SCOTT SQUATS
2*Plates-10

810-8
630-20
Really don't like this leg press machine, it's so weirdly angled and positioned that you sacrifice range of motion at the top, and it hits the glutes too hard and not sufficiently hard on the quads.

**DC stretches for quads, hams**

ROPE AB CURLS
160-14,14,15,10

LEG RAISES

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id personally hate to Deadlift, day off, then squat. I prefer rows for the purpose your using the deadlift, they tend to save the lower back lil more to for heavy squat/leg work. Nothing tears my back up like kroc rows. But if your doing a program, then do it as written, it was made that way for a reason lol.
Word. Believe me, I know what you mean. But I used to also train deads on the same day as squats, so I'm kind of used to it. The hardest part is having my hamstrings be somewhat fried almost numb which can complicate my form on the deadlift.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 06/02/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
225-7,3,1-11 rp
Form us deteriorating, too much delt activation

**Dc stretches for chest**

STANDING BB PRESS
105-9,3,2-14 rp
Fat negatives plus long static at end

**DC stretches for delts**

SMITH JM PRESS 22lb
122-11,4,3-18 rp
Fat negatives plus short static at end

BENT OVER ROWS
295-7
245-12
Controlled reps, perfect/ideal form on 245.
Lmao **** this was kinda easy shoulda tried harder

NARROW TBAR (weight on bar)
180-6,3,2-11
negatives

**DC stretches for back**

Real solid workout, no complaints other than my flat bench. My triceps feel like they're still wanting to explode as I write this 4 hours after my workout, and my inner back feels like it is being torn up. Very cool

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SATURDAY 06/04/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
45-11,5,3-19 rp
Fat negs plus long static at end
Lol....

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
110-13

this stretch didn't hit biceps well...

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
270-12
WOW this was awesome. And so basically further out pad is towards my knee less it hurts

LEG EXTENSIONS
160-10,10,10

SEATED LEG CURLS
110-10,10,10

SCOTT SQUATS
132-3+2(hack squat other 2 up)
102-20
Lol idk why I didn't go up on 132 oh well widow went up :)

ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS
325-11
Really ****ing hate these, stopping them. I feel it in my hankies but it sucks

WEIRD LEG PRESS
270-11
4-5 sec negatives, real wide stance
These felt much better

DECLINE AB RIPPER

I can't wait to be out of this gym ... next week, my old one opens back up! Woot! Today I had a really hard time finding a good ham workout. Romanian DLs were working actually really well until ... they weren't. So I went and tried to do this weird leg press thing that was actually really kind of cool but hard to operate. Anyways, whatever. My legs looked really sweet afterwards, so I guess that's what matters (even though they didn't feel like noodles, which is kind of bad).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 05/23/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH
195-6,3,1-10 rp
**DC stretch for chest on incline (NEW)**

WIDE UPRIGHT ROWS
105-11,6,4-21 rp
negatives

**DC stretch for delts**
did some warmup dips before delt stretch by mistake and felt pain in shoulder, hope it goes away before my real set

DIPS
55-8,3,1
Goods negatives plus static at end

CHINUPS
70-5,2,1-8 rp ;(
Almost +2 but not high enough on 2 reps

RACK PULLS BELOW KNEE
545-3
515-6
Abs gave out both times

HANGING AB RIPPER

LEG RAISES

Well, I've been crapping myself dead all weekend long, including today. I guess it's the heavy dose antibiotics and the bacteria finally losing the battle. Anyways, I had a real good workout today with the exception of back work. Midway through my dips I started feeling really nauseous and could feel my abdominal wall cramping a bit. My chinups were almost a PR but missed 2 reps, damn. And the rack pulls ... abominable. My friend noted I was seriously curving during the sets. And I felt my abs giving out pretty fast. Don't know if it was that, or if something else was wrong with my setup, or what. Could be the case as I havent done any rear delt or or upper/inner back work for a while like face pulls/good mornings/etc. I'll hopefully do those Wed.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 06/08/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
45-9,3,2-14 rp
Negatives plus long static at end

HAMMER CURLS
60-15

DC CALF RAISES
300-12
I lied last time, set was rest paused twice. This time straight

LEG EXTENSIONS
160-10,10,10

LEG CURLS
110-10,10,10

BOX SQUATS
335-3
245-7 <--- couldnt go more, body wasn't feeling it

Did some close stance, very low standing leg presses for 20 reps.

**DC stretches for hams, and quads*

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
160-12,12,12

LEG RAISES

Well today's workout sucked - 3/10. I'm noticing that my lower body is like short circuiting now in that I cannot push myself at all. I practically fell asleep at one point while warming up on squats, too, so I think my bad sleep is catching up (not my fault, it's the damn heat in the house waking me up). My lower back and abs again were too shot to do much for squats, just like how they failed me on rack pulls on Monday. Clearly I'm in need of a deload, so after next week (dont need much core stability to do leg presses and my smith sissy hack squats) I'll be taking one. Sucks, too, since my upper body was definitely doing well.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 06/10/11

UPPER BODY

DECLINE BENCH
245-8,3,2-13 rp plus static at end

**DC stretches for chest**

SEATED MILITARY PRESS
135-7,3,2-12 rp
Good negs plus static last set

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
185-7,3,1-11 rp
Good Negatives plus static last set

ISO LATERAL HIGH ROW
430-8,4,2-14 rp

DEADLIFTS
445-4 <-- abs in sheer pain
405-5 <-- interesting, my legs failed me this time, not my core

Well, today marks the last day of my blast in this DC cycle. Things have been giving out, I definitely am having problems giving it my all mentally (the complete silence in the gym is an indicator that I'm not working hard enough lol), and my lower back and abs are shot - time for cruising and letting my body recover. Next week will involve mostly ancillary/accessory lifts like hyperextension, pull-throughs, face pulls, planks, rear delt work, some other stuff perhaps, and LISS cardio. The following week I'll implement my normal split but without rest pausing and at a lower weight. Afterwards, I should be good to go.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 06/27/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH
185-8,4,3-15 rp
Negs plus great static at end
WOW where did that come from :)

**DC stretch on incline with dbs**

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
105-11,7,5-23 rp
Negatives plus static
Think I need to readjust movement, wrists feel bad

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
45-9,4,2-15 rp
Good Negatives plus static at end

**DC stretch for triceps**

NARROW CHINUPS
55-7,4,2-13 rp
Controlled reps plus static

RACK PULLS MID SHIN
455-5
405-12

**DC stretch for back**

Well, I was really happy with my results today after my 2 week cruise phase (no, not a cruise like a boat cruise =p). I really feel like I might be seeing 225 on the incline bench for reps during this blast - and my max was previously 245! On another note, rack pulls REALLY sucked. I felt it everywhere in my body, and while I was rather taxed I know I was giving it my all. I dont know if this is me getting back in the groove of things while not on a bulking diet, or what... it might be a result of not being on 1,3-dmaa. I swear that stuff can make me do ANYTHING. Already scoping for a new pre-wo. I was on Ragnarok for several weeks, almost a month and a half, and it was ok. I just would really like to go back to Muscle Marinade, but I hear I have a free bucket of Animal Rage coming my way, and it has an incredible profile, so we'll see. Anyways, no cardio today, which sux, but I'll do soem tomorrow in the AM plus in the PM. Oh! Also started AnaBeta today. So here's what I've been on/am on for a while:

-NutraPro Whey; now on Optimun Nutrition Whey, but this was an emergency purchase - will return to NutraPro Whey
-Creatine Mono
-Orange Triad
-SNS ZMA
-VS GABA
-MST Ragnorok (looking to go back to Muscle Marinade soon unless the Animal Rage gets here first)
-AnaBeta

Looking forward to Wed's workout.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, I took my 4 doses of AnaBeta yesterday, and I gotta say that while doing cardio I got LIT UP. It was pretty nasty, nothing like being on AT2/OEP - made that seem like drinking a slurpee. Then again, I was doing more than my casual walking (lol) but the amount of sweat produced was insane. I looked more drenched than if I had been outside during that torrential rainstorm.

Anyways, on to today! After my A.M. dose of AnaBeta, about an hour later I started having hand cramps. This is definitely a new experience, so it must be from anabeta. Lasted a bit, not debilitating by any stretch but painful.

Workout today was cut short by the fact that I was so busy with errands and filling job applications that I couldn't go until an hour before the gym closed. Regardless, got everything done I wanted to! (except maybe some upper backwork with some roundback goodmornings, oh well).

WEDNESDAY 06/29/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
105-10,5,3-18 rp
Good negatives plus static at end

PINWHEEL CURLS
65-15

Pump was INSANE right now. I don't know if this was a bunch of Arginine that had settled on the bottom of my Ragnorok tub, or if it was AnaBeta or what, but this was just retarded powerful. I had to stop after 35 seconds, I couldn't even hold for my typical minute!

DC CALF PRESSES
+300-12
15 sec holds
WOW this is painful

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
130-10,5,4-19 rp
Strong Negatives
First time besides GHR doing working set of hams before squats

HACK SQUATS (weight minus carriage)
300-6
210-20
Quads feeling really fried near the knee, but definitely in the quad and not the knee. Very interesting

HANGING AB RIPPER

LEG RAISES

Really stellar workout. I knew not having done hack squats that my power would have gone down, but I hit all my reps with awesome depth, and it really just shot down my quads in places I've never felt them sore before, so I was very happy. Stretches for quads really felt on point, too, which is nice. Also, while doing my ham stretches it seemed like I was able to stretch out my leg completely straight at one point, which I've never been able to do. Anyways, looking forward to Friday.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 07/01/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
215-7,4,2-13 rp

**DC stretch for chest**
Shoulders kinda not feeling this, gonna have to swap it out with something else

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
105-8.4,3-15 rp
Fat negatives plus good static at end

I think I messed up my lower back house cleaning today because it still feels kinda bad

SMITH JM PRESS
132-10,5,3-18 rp
Negatives, no static forgot

WIDE PULLUPS @ 215
25-10,5,3-18 rp
Controlled reps plus static at end

DEADLIFTS
435-3,2

*DC stretches for back**

Don't really know why my deadlifts are all of a sudden sucking so much ass. My lower back was kinda feeling bad after house cleaning today, but I don't know... we shall see how this goes.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TUESDAY 07/05/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
50-9,4,3-16 rp
4-5 sec negs, couldn't static hold lol

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
110-17

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
300-12
15 sec hold, was pretty easy

GHR
BW-10
10-4 lol wow that sucks
BW-4,2-6 plus the others before
Big negatives plus static hold

790-7
610-20
Ok strength set was easy, but widow was retardedly hard

**DC stretch for quads and hams**

STANDING ROPE AB CURLS
160-15,15,14

LEG RAISES
20x3

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 07/08/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
45-8,4,1-13 rp
Great Negatives plus long static at end

HAMMER CURLS
60-15

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
280-12

SEATED LEG CURLS
145-14,7,5-26 rp
Fat negatives plus Lon static

BOX SQUATS
325-5
235-20

Stretches were very good and on point today

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
160-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

This was a great workout. Very taxing, but everything went well and all my stretches were on point. The squats were a little hard tho so hopefully next squat session I can nail the widowmaker. Went for a swim later on - was nice.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Add a little M1T in that arsenal of yours and you'll be ready freddy.

Naw, but yea, looks good Jim Beam.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Add a little M1T in that arsenal of yours and you'll be ready freddy.

Naw, but yea, looks good Jim Beam.
Hahaha, yeah really.

--------

MONDAY 07/11/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH
205-7,3,1-11 rp
Negs plus great static at end
At first I was like well I dropped 3 reps but I tried for 10 extra lbs so ok. Then I realized it was 20 extra lbs lmao I suck at math

Stretch felt amazing, so next time use very low incline, start with arms wide then go to bottom of press position

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
115-12,6,4-22 rp
Nice Negatives plus static at end
Moved wrists well inside rings and felt much better but needed to move out slightly for more comfort

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
55-9,3,2-14 rp
Totally vamped, also hands felt like splitting in half. Almost had 4th rep of 2nd set!

NARROW CHINUPS
65-6,3,2-11 rp
Controlled reps plus long static

RACK PULLS (below knee)
495-5
445-11 2 in the tank but not in the lower back, didn't want to break =p
Looks like I'm back in action :) also doing deadstops on these

**DC stretch for back**

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A couple of updates before I update with my workout.

I've been doing these special complexes lately every day or every other day. Most are body weight complexes, some are weighted. These things have been truly great, especially the bodyweight ones (absolutely killer!). Best of all, I'm getting in some serious core work and I can see it working already. I'm 30% concerned with some soreness that persists throughout the day after the fact (mostly in my hips/hamstrings), but I don't think it'll affect my workouts much, especially considering I pre-exhaust my hamstrings before all quad work already.

Second thing is I ran out of Ragnorok and just got my tub of Muscle Marinade Cherry Limeade. This **** is MONEY. I took a drink, and 15-20 minutes later I remembered the good old days. The full body itch and tingle, the extreme focusing in, and the synergy between all this and listening to music before and while lifting. Love it. More details later.

Lastly, since the past weekend I've changed my diet up around. I was doing IF cycling 3300 with 300g+ protein and 300g+ carbs and 2200 calories on off days with ~100g carbs and somewhat less protein. This was working well for about 2 weeks, then I stalled HARD for about the past 4 weeks or more. I decided enough was enough and that I had been on a calorie restricted diet for too long (since January ... dropped 50lbs). So I decided to go on last summer's diet of 3500+ calories with mostly fats (about 160-180g), mild carbs (150-180g), and high protein (300g), higher than it was during the summer as I'm more muscular now. This is also split into 6 meals as I was tired of walking around with a distended stomach from shoving 3 meals in 8 hours of such large quantities of food. I gotta say, I feel substantially better on this diet now. Everything is clean, no bread, no refined sugars, not even zero-sugar sweeteners (except in the protein, which I'm now on Dymatize as I ran out of ON 100%). And boy is this protein quality ... so much better than ON's. Yes, I screwed up getting the Cookies N' Cream flavor from ON, but still the protein clumps sometimes ... Nutrapro is better, even. But this Dymatize is so on point, and there is ZERO bloat when you drink the protein. Awesome!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 07/13/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
115-7,3,2-12 rp
Good form, too

PINWHEEL CURLS
70-15

DC CALF PRESSES
+310-12
15 sec holds
WOW this is painful

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
150-7,4,3-14 rp

320-6
230-20
Ass was buried in these, very sweet but I gotta watch out since I'm tall

Surprisingly easy sets, and this was AFTER I decided to go ahead and add 10lbs on top of what I was already planning to add. Very nice!!

**SUPERSET THE 4 BELOW FOR 3 SETS TOTAL**

STANDING AB CURLS 160-16x3
HIP ABDUCTOR
LEG RAISES 20x3
HIP ADDUCTOR

FACE PULLS
130-14,14,14
just can't get myself to do seated SSB good mornings lol. Had a really slow negative on these.

This workout was amazing. Hit the weights hard, good form, and breezed through everything. I was done with my main routine 45 minutes in. THAT is part of the power of Muscle Marinade. The other part? the fact that instead of adding 10lbs to my hack squat, I added 20lbs instead, and it was still easy! And this was with me going super deep. And I had 1 more rep left in me for the strength set, and I definitely had at least 3 in the tank for the widow. But I stuck to the program and just hit 20 reps for the widow. After walking out of the gym, my legs felt like 10 inches bigger (circumference-wise) it was so sweet. Celebrated with some sauteed potatoes and onions served with my regular ground beef. Totally in line with my diet, so no worries there :)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 07/01/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
225-6,2,2-10 rp

**DC stretch for chest**
This felt so bad on my shoulders. OK I promise I am swapping this out

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
115-7,3,3-13 rp
Fat negatives plus good static at end
Lol? Where did that last set come from?

SMITH JM PRESS
142-8,3,2-13 rp
Fat Negatives, static at end
Triceps were BLASTED lol

WIDE PULLUPS @ 215
35-9,4,2-15 rp
Fat negs plus static at end
Almost had 3 at end

DEADLIFTS
I was feeling really good on 405 warmup, so I decided to give 455 a try
455-5 <--- NICE. Naked deadlift, used dead stops before doing next rep
405-5 <---- lol my core was done

Today's workout quickly went from crap to really amazing. And ****, as I'm writing this I realized I forgot to do my back stretch, damn. Oh well. Anyways, I had a really amazing session. I will start doing Hammer strength chest press from now on out instead of flat bench. It was just too much torture. Also, the JM presses are starting to get really hard, especially with those negatives.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 07/18/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
55-7,4,2-13 rp
4-5 sec negs, couldn't static hold again haha

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
120-13

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
310-12
15 sec hold, was pretty easy

GHR
10-8,4,2-14 rp
GoodNegatives plus static at end
Focking nice!!

LEG PRESS
17+35-8
13+35-20
****ing easy sets, wtf nice

**DC stretch for quads and hams**

**SUPERSET THE 3 BELOW**

HANGING AB RIPPER 10x3
HIP ADDUCTOR
LEG RAISES 20x3

Tried to do some seated SSB goodmornings but they felt weird

FACEPULLS
100-20,20,20

Great workout. I'm glad I can do weighted glut ham raises now, even though I can't keep a straight back when I do it like some do in videos I've watched. The resistance is there, though. Also, I killed the leg presses today. Don't know what's going on, but bring it on! Also, dumbbell curling 55s is unsurprisingly very hard, lol. I think I'm physiologically reaching my upper limit for seated dumbbell curls (though I don't know what the limiting factor is, probably not my biceps).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 07/20/11

UPPER DAY

DECLINE BENCH
255-9,3,1-13 rp
Lol don't know where 9th came from

**DC stretch for chest**
kinda messed up my shoulder with stretch again -.-

SEATED MILITARY PRESS
135-7,2,2-11 rp
Negatives and static at end

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
185-7,3,2-12 rp
Great Negatives plus static at end

BENT OVER ROWS
295-8
235-12
Pause when contracted
Perfect form on 235 but paused midway (without letting go), so clearly moving up in weight very fast on these

TBAR NARROW (weight on bar)
190-7,4,2-13 rp
Thank god, can move up in weight next time

**DC stretch for back**

Well, I was very pleased with today's workout sans shoulders. I had a curious performance issue on the decline. Busting out 9 reps like that with those negatives was both real impressive, and perhaps almost scary. But interestingly enough, that took so much out of me I could only hit 3 then 1 afterwards on the rest-pause set. Also, really having problems bringing up shoulder strength. This is where I've been for a long, long time now. It should have gone up. I even reset the weight down to bring it back up with some good numbers, yet here I am only knocking about 10 or 11 rp with 135. I have a feeling this might have been influenced by me moving around a lot of gas tanks at work as well as my complexes in the A.M. which require shoulders. At any rate, they're definitely looking larger, which is nice, but they need to get stronger :\ I didn't do face pulls today as I want to be feeling completely fresh for squats on Friday. I can't wait, honestly; I'm actually looking forward to them, which hasn't happened since the week when I hit 405 for the first time on squats (boy was that a long ass time ago now!).

Wilderness

Awards
I have been working out for 15 years, I have been at a dead spot lacking motivation to try to get stronger. I am 5'10 and 142. I am solid but need to gain mass. When I try to increase my diet, my stomach won't let me over dose on calories. Any suggestions?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been working out for 15 years, I have been at a dead spot lacking motivation to try to get stronger. I am 5'10 and 142. I am solid but need to gain mass. When I try to increase my diet, my stomach won't let me over dose on calories. Any suggestions?
Hey man. That seems like it can cause some trouble. Before I could even begin to make suggestions I would like to know what you've tried in terms of increasing your diet. What kind of foods were you eating? How many meals a day?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 07/22/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
50-7,2,0-9 rp
Good Negatives plus long static after

HAMMER CURLS
65-13

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
155-12
3 rest pause here hahaha

SEATED LEG CURLS
165-13,7,4-24 rp
Fat negatives plus very long static at end

BOX SQUATS
335-6
245-20

Stretches were very good and on point today

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
160-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

Today's workout was real good. The biceps thing was real interesting. It was very hard doing EZ bar curls with 50lbs on each side. Obviously I couldn't go past 9rp today, so if I do it again next week I'll stick with the same weight and go for reps. Squats were very hard, not so much the strength set as much as the widowmaker. Things started coming to a halt at around 8 reps, and at 10 I was pretty ready to call it. But I'm telling you, if you just say "just 2 more reps" over and over in your head, you can chip away and get to 20. It just takes a lot of mental strain to get there. Rewarded myself with a 1000 calorie steak sub lathered in all sorts of protein and fatty goodness. I also hung out at the pool ... that was pretty great. Love switching back and forth between the cold pool and the hot tub. Did some light swimming, lots of running in the water. I think that really helped stave off any soreness as I don't feel much at all today, except my legs get really exhausted if I try walking which is rather strange. I was too sore and tired though to go play baseball, which kind of sucked.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 07/25/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINE BENCH
215-5,2,1-8 rp
Good Negs plus great static at end
Plus 2 forced reps

Stretch felt amazing, so next time use very low incline, start with arms wide then go to bottom of press position

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
125-13,6,4-23 rp
Great Negatives plus static at end
Pinkies a cm or 2 inside rings

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
65-8,3,2-13 rp
Too much for 4th on 2nd rp but great 3rd rp

NARROW CHINUPS
75-5,2,1-8 rp

RACK PULLS (below knee)
504-6
455-11
Dead stops on both sets

**DC stretch for back**

FACE PULLS
130-15,13,13
used some negatives in last 2 sets

Well, today was a very interesting day. It appears I have hit the max for my incline and close grip chinup. I can say for sure I will probably not try for a higher weight on the chinups. As for incline bench, I made sure to hit the stretches well (and omg did they feel good! I wish my stretches for the bottom pec felt as good as for the clavicle) and eat a lot for my post-WO meal. I'll ask to see if I can move up or if I should shoot for more reps. In addition, another factor that'll play into this is how the rest of my training goes. In particular, not this Friday but next Friday, depending on how my squatting goes, will determine when I will set my cruise at. I should hit 8 weeks definitely, so I'm planning on hitting at least another 2 weeks for sure after this 2 weeks (this is my 3rd 2 weeks in this blast). If I feel like I can run 2 more mini-cycles on this blast following my next squat session I'll probably try 215 again for more reps, then wait until my next mini-cycle for 225. I was surprised to hit dips so hard, this was very good. Also, those upright rows just dont seem to get much harder with more weight lol, so that's a good thing. Rack pulls were amazing ... felt them rip apart my back. Not only did I make sure to implement dead stops but I also did not use wrist wraps ... and I think this is making my lifts a lot better. So from now on out, I wont be using my wraps except for my back stretch and maybe bent over rows (since I use a pronated grip/overhand).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 07/27/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
125-5,3,1-9 rp
Good-great negatives plus static at end
Questionable form on some lol. Of all things my forearms felt really fried.

PINWHEEL CURLS
75-12

DC CALF PRESSES
+320-12
15 sec holds
WOW this is painful

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
160-7,3,2-12 rp

330-7
240-20
Not wearing lifting shoes today so dynamic will be different. Hope it won't hurt much
Turns out I hit everything great! One rep on the 330 was a little high relatively but at least hit parallel

Left quad stretch coulda been better

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**
HANGING AB RIPPER 10x3
HIP ABD 150-12x3
LEG RAISES 20x3
HIP ADD 150-12x3

Good session today. I knew I would be pushing it as last week I had pushed the EZ bar curls pretty much to their limits. Looks like I did that to the BB curls. But that's ok, I'll just do this for the same weight and hit more reps next week. Leg workouts were on point, although my DC stretches for my left quad did not feel as good as my right and I suspect it's because when I set it up my left quad wasn't up and down straight but was kind of pointing outside. A problem worth mentioning is that my knees were caving in during my hack squats, especially on the widowmaker (and this happened starting very early like on rep 3). I started to audibly tell myself to force my knees out, and it helped somewhat. I will have to pursue what might be going on here. It could have just been the new setup without my shoes, but idk and I dont want to take chances.