Toro's quest for Strength and Shred

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Hardcore! I used to do kneeling rope ab curls, but from everything I've read from powerlifters (the ones who need core strength to support one grand squats and so forth) they always do standing ab curls. Supposedly it's just that it translates better to actual movements like the squat and deadlift. I don't really know. I will tell you the trick to doing them - well there are 2 tricks, and they depend on the equipment you use and your body. I do them on a lat pulldown. The most common thing is to look away from the lat pulldown machine and stand such that I think your knees are supported on the seat, your legs are going under the thing that keeps your legs pinned down on the lat pulldown machine, and your feet are wrapping around the top of the feet supports, the same ones you usually put your feet under when doing lat pulldowns. I can't do this because my legs are too long. What I do instead is I face the lat pulldown, put my feet really close together, and I kind of shove my feet right against the piece of metal that's coming down from the seat of the lat pulldown. This allows me to move the weight (at 170 now) and not fly around, which will happen otherwise. I know this explanation is very vague. I would tape myself, but I don't have a camera and dont work out with anyone who would video me on my phone.

As for the stretching, here's what happened. I stretched out my hip flexors/quads (the stretch I talk about in the paragraph) before (well actually after my first warmup set) the leg press. That's what I think helped my mobility. The DC stretches I did after everything on the leg press. Hope that answers your questions.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, another football game today, another day the university shuts down so that everyone in town can watch our team blow. I don't understand...

Thus, I am at the gym I hate today since none of the others are open. In hindsight, though, I actually did very well here today. The different preacher bench I think really helped me get a sick stretch on the bicep curls, hitting them really hard. So I do not mind that. My one qualm with the equipment that I needed for today was that the seated ham curl machine was hidden amongst the 50 or so treadmills at the gym (so I didn't use it :( ) and that the benches are a different height from the ones at my usual gyms - I know I went past parallel on the squat, but I dont know if it was 1/2" or 2" (the ones at my usual gym help me go 2").

Anyways, lets begin with the log:

SATURDAY 10/22/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
50-5,1,1-7 rp
Fat Negatives plus long static after
At THE **** gym, diff setup. But, felt incredible... Might be a better preacher bench than at the other 2 gyms

HAMMER CURLS
75-12

**DC stretches for biceps**
Retarded bicep pump

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
175-12
15 sec holds and negatives

BOX SQUATS
365-6
275-20
W3333333333333rrrrrrrrrrd

**DC stretches for hams, and quads*

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
???-15x3
I didn't know what the weight was. I tried putting it at 170, but with all the pulleys it felt like it was 40lbs lol. So I set it at 265 (the highest) to do these

LEG RAISES

Completely wrecked the squats. I left at least one in the tank on the 365, but the 275 widowmaker was really hard. Oddly enough, it was hardest on my quads! Pretty cool, but kind of weird. I ate gloriously that evening.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 10/24/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
235-5,2,1-8 rp
PHAT Negs plus long static at end
Not so hot on 2 reps lol

**DC stretch on incline with dbs**
Chest feels like it was hammered to a pulp

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
165-8,5,3-16 rp
Good Negatives plus static at end

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
90-6,3,1-10 rp
Great negatives plus static at end
Inch away from 11th rep damn!

**DC stretch for triceps**

NARROW CHINUPS
80-5,2,1-8 rp
Negatives plus static at end
Time to swap this out

RACK PULLS
535-4 <-- naked plus resets
475-11

**DC stretch for back**

Great workout. That incline bench, man, what a monster ... I could not take it on at all. I think next week not only will I do better on it because of strength gains but also because of neuroadaptation. I was just not ready to handle it at all (it is 10lbs down from my 1RM on the incline when I last tested my 1RM). Don't get me wrong, I had perfect form on all but 1 or 2 reps, but I dont think I pushed myself enough. My suspicion is based on the fact that my static hold was about 25 seconds long, or about 15 seconds longer than any other static hold I've held. I did crush dips. I am swapping out chinups for the hammer strength iso lateral machine, especially since I am working out at a diff gym for this workout so that I have a rack with the best pin settings for my rack pulls - and this gym has that machine. Rack pulls, well ... they went ok. I lost my grip so hard on the 5th rep. I still had a 5th in me, but I could not hold on to the stupid bar. I might not try 535 again next time and just go for 545, I dont know yet. I am happy that I got 11 reps with 475 (bear in mind I got 13 reps with 505 back around July or August, but I didn't reset my reps then).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 10/26/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
135-3,1,0-4 rp
Fat negatives plus static at end
Gonna need to drop the weight on this, possibly swap the exercise

PINWHEEL CURLS
85-11

Christ my biceps and forearms feel like exploding

DC CALF PRESSES
+340-12
15 sec hold

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
170-8,3,2-13 rp
Good negatives plus static at end

HACK SQUATS (weight minus carriage)
360-5 <-- kinda shallow, idk, but legs did feel like total crap afterwards
270-20 <-- buried all of these. Now thats how u do it

**DC stretches for hams and quads**

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**
HANGING AB RIPPER 12x3
HIP ABD 160-15x3
LEG RAISES 20x3
HIP ADD 160-15x3

This workout was beyond painful. Dear God, everything was hurting by the end, and I just felt like throwing up. I forgot how hard it can be to do 4 plates on the hack squat machine, even more so when you go so low. However, I did not go as low as I did the weeks before. I don't know what it was, but when I was down in the hole I felt like I had absolutely nothing to get up. I did, but it took 150% effort to do it. I think people in the gym were getting concerned by my noises, lol. The widowmaker I hit really, really well, and the reps were all at the depth I like them to be (real deep, ass to heels basically except an inch higher on like 5 reps). This bicep curl thing is interesting as it is the second time I have gone down in reps. Perhaps it's a sign I need to rescale things. In fact, my middle back is feeling very sore lately, and I am thinking that I'm going to have to put a stop to my DC blast and cruise for a week very soon. I'm going to wait and see how deadlifts go on Friday before I make a call to take this blast into at least the end of the DC microcycle (squat day) or if I should end it then. Ideally, I will squat before I cruise, so we'll see.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 10/28/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
255-5,3,3-11 rp
Great Negatives plus static at end.
Bad setup on first rp and hurt left shoulder again. Idk why it keeps happening

**DC stretch for chest**
Great stretches

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
145-7,2,1-10 rp
Form was not on point. I think that bench session is part to blame

**DC stretches for delts**

SMITH JM PRESS
182-5,3,2-10 rp
Fat Negatives, static at end
Triceps feeling like exploding again

WIDE PULLUPS @ 239
75-5,2,1-8 rp

DEADLIFTS
505-2 <--- naked reps plus reset each time
445-6 <-- same as above

So, today was an interesting day. I had no music since my headphones broke, which is roughly equivalent to not taking a pre-workout before lifting. It-sucked-hard. My flat bench continues to have serious problems as I can't get the right form at first. It always bothers my shoulder. But after the first rp, it's completely gone - it goes away; and I also seem to not be totally taxed as my 3rd rp is the same as my second?? Anyways, last thing worth noting, besides my huge weight (240 now) is how I nicked a callus during heavy DLs, and when I went to rep 445 and set it down, I noticed I had torn the skin from my left ring finger completely off, starting at that nuckle-ish part of the palm. Bummer. So now I'm wearing lifting gloves for lifting, lol. I couldn't do my back stretch because of this, btw.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SUNDAY 10/30/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
65-7,3,1-11 rp
PHAT negs plus long static
BIG bicep and forearm pump
Much better form than before !!

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
150-18

**DC stretch for biceps**

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
340-12
15 sec hold
Excruciating calf pump

GHR
45-6,3,2-11 rp

LEG PRESS
18+10-11 LMFAO
14+10-20

**DC stretch for quads and hams**

STANDING AB CURLS
170-15,15,15

LEG LIFTS
20x3

Alls I gotta say is, I have no idea where that leg press set came from. I felt like I could do it all day, but as soon as I stopped, I tried to get up and check to see if I had put the right weight on when I proceeded to faceplant in front of many people - my legs had given out. They were totally numb. I guess I had put the right weight on there afterall.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 10/31/11

UPPER DAY

DECLINE BENCH
295-6,3,2-11 rp
FAT negatives plus static at end
Suuup?!!

**DC stretch for chest**

SEATED BB PRESS
165-6,2,1-9 rp
Great Negatives and static at end

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
205-6,3,3-12 rp
Fat Negatives plus static at end

BENT OVER ROWS
325-5
285-11
Pause when contracted

TBAR NARROW (weight on bar)
220-4,2,1-7 rp
Controlled reps

**(half) DC stretch for back** <--- with my torn up hand, I can't hold on for more than ~35 seconds

What a great workout session. So, I thought I could put up more weight on the sitting shoulder press, but I suspect I didnt not only because I'm approaching a upper limit but also because I didn't have music that I did so subpar. But if I'm approaching my upper limit, then having that sort of drastic sloping is expected. Everything else was simply great. Also, all of my upper back feels like it's going to tear in half.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 11/02/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
50-8,3,2-13 rp

HAMMER CURLS
75-12

Retarded bicep pump

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
185-11
Rp twice for 5 sec bc of pain

SEATED HAM CURLS
215-12,6,3-21 rp
Great negs plus static at end

BOX SQUATS
375-5
285-20
Almost gave up at 16, real challenge mentally

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
170-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

What a ridiculous session. I realized that the reason I did so poorly last time I did this workout on the preacher was because I actually wrote the weight down wrong - it was 55 lbs on each side, not 50. I put on 50 this time and cranked out 13 reps no problem. Also, the rest of my workout was fabulous. I could have gotten 6 on the squats but my form was so bad on the 4th and 5th rep I had to stop - 5th rep was like a good morning. Plus, since I hit the widowmaker hard and finished it, I feel ok as that's what matters the most to me. Anyways, good times. Last workout this week is Friday, then I'm off to D.C. for the weekend. Will be back Monday for more shenanigans

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
DO YOU DO YOUR UP RIGHT ROWS ON THE SMITH OR FREE WEIGHT? WHENYOU DO RACK PULLS DO YOU USE STRAPS OR HOOKS?

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
235-5,2,1-8 rp
Not so hot on 2 reps lol

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
165-8,5,3-16 rp

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
90-6,3,1-10 rp
Inch away from 11th rep damn!

NARROW CHINUPS
80-5,2,1-8 rp
Time to swap this out

RACK PULLS
535-4 <-- naked plus resets
475-11

**DC stretch for back**

Great workout. That incline bench, man, what a monster ... I could not take it on at all. I think next week not only will I do better on it because of strength gains but also because of neuroadaptation. I was just not ready to handle it at all (it is 10lbs down from my 1RM on the incline when I last tested my 1RM). Don't get me wrong, I had perfect form on all but 1 or 2 reps, but I dont think I pushed myself enough. My suspicion is based on the fact that my static hold was about 25 seconds long, or about 15 seconds longer than any other static hold I've held. I did crush dips. I am swapping out chinups for the hammer strength iso lateral machine, especially since I am working out at a diff gym for this workout so that I have a rack with the best pin settings for my rack pulls - and this gym has that machine. Rack pulls, well ... they went ok. I lost my grip so hard on the 5th rep. I still had a 5th in me, but I could not hold on to the stupid bar. I might not try 535 again next time and just go for 545, I dont know yet. I am happy that I got 11 reps with 475 (bear in mind I got 13 reps with 505 back around July or August, but I didn't reset my reps then).[/QUOTE]

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
WITH YOUR BOX SQUATS, DO YOU USE A CERTAIN HIEGHT BOX? Dou you measeure from the floor to the back of your knee or lower? Jus t curious cause ive heard its best to use a box or platform 3 inches lower than you the back of your knee.

So, another football game today, another day the university shuts down so that everyone in town can watch our team blow. I don't understand...

Thus, I am at the gym I hate today since none of the others are open. In hindsight, though, I actually did very well here today. The different preacher bench I think really helped me get a sick stretch on the bicep curls, hitting them really hard. So I do not mind that. My one qualm with the equipment that I needed for today was that the seated ham curl machine was hidden amongst the 50 or so treadmills at the gym (so I didn't use it :( ) and that the benches are a different height from the ones at my usual gyms - I know I went past parallel on the squat, but I dont know if it was 1/2" or 2" (the ones at my usual gym help me go 2").

Anyways, lets begin with the log:

SATURDAY 10/22/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
50-5,1,1-7 rp
At THE **** gym, diff setup. But, felt incredible... Might be a better preacher bench than at the other 2 gyms

HAMMER CURLS
75-12

Retarded bicep pump

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
175-12

BOX SQUATS
365-6
275-20
W3333333333333rrrrrrrrrrd

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
???-15x3
I didn't know what the weight was. I tried putting it at 170, but with all the pulleys it felt like it was 40lbs lol. So I set it at 265 (the highest) to do these

LEG RAISES

Completely wrecked the squats. I left at least one in the tank on the 365, but the 275 widowmaker was really hard. Oddly enough, it was hardest on my quads! Pretty cool, but kind of weird. I ate gloriously that evening.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Hardcore.

For upright rows, I've been using just a barbell. The fixed motion of a smith machine doesn't go over too well for me, and I often end up getting pains in my shoulders, elbows, and wrists if I do heavy upright rows on a smith machine. For rack pulls, I just use my hands, lol. Months before, though, I would use straps.

As for box squats, I always use one of the flat, non-adjustable benches at my gym to squat on. These are usually a couple inches below parallel for me (that is, the top of my hips are a couple of inches below the top of my knees when sitting down). I like that because it helps me hit depth on free squats a lot easier if I train for greater depth, obviously. I'm not sure what that 3" below the back of the knee thing you're talking about is ... it may work, I don't know. If you have really thick legs though I can see it still being too high. Just bring the box with you to a mirrow, align yourself so you see your profile in the mirror, and squat down and see how far you are when you're on top of the box.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 11/04/11

UPPER SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
235-5,2,1-8 rp

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
175-7,4,2- 13 rp

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
90-6,3,2-11 rp
Kinda questionable 11th, high, but I'll take it for now

HAMMER STRENGTH ISO LATERAL HIGH ROW
400-9,4,2-15 rp

RACK PULLS
545-2 <-- naked plus reset. Grip was so off couldn't even try 3rd
485-11 <-- easy

**DC stretch for back**

Rack pulls were hard since I was wearing these gloves to protect my hands. As a reminder, my hands were cut open doing deadlifts a week or more ago. I nicked a callus, and then it was ripped off as I set the bar down after my last set of deadlifts. Anyways, my grip couldn't handle these rack pulls, but I'm sure I could have gone for 3. Also, I'm rather upset at my performance with the incline bench. I think it's almost time to deload. Indeed I'll have to deload after squats. Sigh

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
Hey Torobestia,

I completly understand about the delt pain on the smith machine. Im going to try using the the bench next time too. Thanks for the help!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 11/07/11

LOWER SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS

135-4,1,2-7 rp
Grip gave out 2nd rp, thus the weirdness. Kinda almost had 3rp at end but cheated

PINWHEEL CURLS
85-12

Christ my biceps and forearms feel like exploding still

DC CALF PRESSES
+350-12
15 sec hold

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
180-6,2,2-10 rp
Good negatives plus static at end
3rd rep on 2nd rp was not full rom

370- 5<-- real good ones, phew
280-20 <-- near impossible, I'm feeling really burnt out now

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**
HANGING AB RIPPER 12x3
HIP ABD 170-12x2
LEG RAISES 20x3
HIP ADD 170-12x3

Didn't do the hip abductor today for 3 sets, only 2, as I was at the gym so late and needed to be back home earlier than I am now. I am really beginning to be worn down by life right now. I am not happy with my new job - in fact, I kind of hate it. I'm also not looking forward to the weekend as I'll be leaving out of town yet again to go visit friends. The commitment was made, and I've let both of the groups of friends I'm visiting down before, so I have to go. I'm also starting to lose cognitive clarity - I am often very absentminded, forgetting my wallet at home, forgetting where I place small items, everything. I am also extremely irritable. Now, I don't think I'm going into hypogonadal mode - my visit with my girlfriend yesterday showed me that. What I do think is that I am just supremely exhausted and need a break - from everything, really. I can't take one from work since I only just began ... but I sure am looking forward to our Thanksgiving break. I'm also thinking of taking a 2 week break from the gym, or at least a 1 week break followed by a 1 week cruise phase. I am long overdue for it - I think I've been going since mid August, which means about 12-14 weeks or more. I have only stalled on a few lifts, but I think it's time for me to break for psychological/health reasons. I am losing it.

Sorry for rant, but I had to put this down and post it somewhere. I do in fact feel a pinch better ... anyways, looking forward to next workout. After I hit squats on I think Tuesday of next week, I'll be taking my much needed break. I'll just do some mid-intensity cardio and start incorporating some HIIT stuff in very small steps. And I dont know, maybe I should get some vitamin D.

At any rate, I didnt really talk about this workout. This workout was really hard, but I am very pleased with how I hit everything. Great depth, form, ROM on lifts, etc. I am also beginning to loosen up my hams as my legs are getting straighter during my DC ham stretches. I am excited by this.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah man, life can get in the way. I think you should take that break. Get the job thing squared away,or at least under control then get back in the gym. Cortisol is a horrible hormone to elevate. And excess stress, not enough sleep can produce too much cortisol and then steal valuable raw material to make testosterone. Not a good place to be in. Good job in identifying it and realizing that the break is needed.

I look forward to your return, enjoy your time off man. :D

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, matt. Not too sure if I'm gonna break at this moment (indeed I had a workout I'll post soon since my last post here =p ) I definitely plan on deloading (or rather week off) after my next squat session, which will be either Tues or Wednes. I should have taken off a couple weeks ago after hitting 365x6 on the squat, which was my goal for this micro-cycle, since I also have to take about a week off the week of December 9-12. I'll be out of town for that duration at a concert fest, so no lifting :) Anyways, after I didnt take off that last time, thought about just milking this until then, but obviously that's a terrible idea. So, next week it is.

Anyways, lets talk lifting now:

WEDNESDAY 11/09/11

UPPER SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
265-5,2,1+1-8 rp plus 1 fp
Finally awesome setup. Pain free!!

**DC stretch for chest**
Great stretches

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
155-5,2,1-8 rp
A few cheat reps here lol oh well

SMITH JM PRESS
182-8,3,2-13 rp
Triceps feeling like exploding holy ****

WIDE PULLUPS @ 235 (? Think this is an underestimate)
75-5,2,1-8 rp

DEADLIFTS
505-3 **** my grip lol
435-7 hell yeah

**DC stretch for back**

Great session, man. I was hoping to hit 9 reps on 265 for bench, but 8 was fine especially considering 1) it was pain free, 2) those reps were executed with a pretty hard eccentric, and 3) my chest felt obliterated afterwards. All other lifts I can't complain about, except my pullups. I dont know if I plan on switching these out or not. I might just drop the weight by 20lbs after my cruise and feel things out from there. I might even drop it by 30lbs and see if I can find a really consistent form to follow. As of now, not only are my pullups hard for me, but they feel very uncomfortable on my biceps which I think is a sign I'm doing it wrong.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 11/11/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
65-7,3,2-12 rp
Bicep feels wet and like tearing

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
160-18

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
350-12
15 sec hold
Excruciating calf pump

GHR
45-6,3,2-11 rp

LEG PRESS
18+25-12 Jesus why did I get so strong on this suddenly
14+25-20 hit some really nice deep ones. Had 2 shallow but omg these more than make up. Legs obliterated

STANDING AB CURLS
170-15,15,15

LEG LIFTS
20x3

What a killer session. I actually probably could have hit up the 70s for seated db curls but it's just as well I didn't. I'm also going to run into problems with that reverse curl on the cable machine. The weight actually only goes up to 150, but I put a 10 on the stack in this really half-ass way, and it was hard to keep it on there throughout the set. We'll figure something out.

Also, thought I would update my supplement list, the ones i've been using for a long while since my titaniumXL/erase run ended about a month ago (I did not get good results with it, wont run again):

MuscleFeast Creatine
MuscleFeast LCLT
Purus Labs Muscle Marinade
Controlled Labs Orange Triad
Triple Dose Fish Oil
Vitamin D 10,000 IU
NOW Foods 400mg Green Tea Extract 2-3x/day
SNS ZMA

So I run a lot of stuff, but at the same time it's not so much. My creatine, LCLT, and Vitamin D will last me the entire year (this is no joke/exaggeration, literally over 365 doses on each product), I dont buy protein powder nearly as often as I used to (probably a 5lb bucket every 2 or more months), and otherwise I just have to re-purchase Orange Triad and EGCG about once a month. Muscle Marinade has 27 doses, and if I work out eod that means about 54 doses give or take, so that's almost two months. So I'm happy with my supplement expenses, and while yes it gives me room to add in more stuff I'd rather spend the money on quality food or just save it up for something more worthwhile.

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
7 REPS WITH A BW OF 235 AND AN EXTRA 75 LBS? THATS THE SH*T BRO! WELL DONE!!!! Oh and those standing ab curls are harder than i imagined. but i do like the more focused feel in the trunk from doing these compaired to on the floor/machine.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TUESDAY 11/15/11

UPPER DAY

DECLINE BENCH
305-5,3,1-9 rp

**DC stretch for chest**

SEATED BB PRESS
165-6,1,1-8 rp
:(

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
205-8,3,2-13 rp
Holy crap triceps really torn after this

BENT OVER ROWS
335-6 <-- jerky with the feet, but held at full contraction for a sec
295-11
Pause when contracted. Awesome form but jerky last 4 reps

220-5,3,1- 9 rp

**DC stretch for back**

FACEPULLS
140-14,14,10

Totally beasted this workout. Loved all my lifts (ok maybe my seated BB press was a little lackluster). I think my jerkiness with the BO rows was not only a thing with the weight and reaching my max capacity but also because I just havent been in the gym for a while (longer than usual). But man, I have such a massive back pump from all this, and I know I hit these well enough so no complaints. After squatting I plan on taking 5 days or a week off from the gym altogether. Will do some cardio, maybe light stuff like step ups, flexibility work, etc, maybe some feeders, but that's about it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LAST DAY UNTIL NEXT NEXT MONDAY, GENTLEMEN! Lets see what this kid did for his last workout.

THURSDAY 11/18/11

LOWER SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
55-2
50-2,1,1-4 rp lol..
Whoops lol put wrong ass weight on the bar and murdered my arms

HAMMER CURLS
75-13
I didn't budge and inch on these Jesus, that was scary

Pretty raw feeling everywhere lol....

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
185-12
Rp once for 10 seconds just be it was too much lol

SEATED HAM CURLS
225-12,6,3-21 rp

BOX SQUATS
385-2 lol :(
295-20 F#CK YES, RECOVERY FROM FAIL BEFORE

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
170-15,15,14

LEG RAISES

Well friends that was a great way to end this massive micro-cycle. Been I think since late August or first of September, without a single break, and I've hit all sorts of number and size PRs. My quads are looking real sweet. I wish I had a camera to show you guys this ****. My entire leg is actually super thick. My back is also very thick looking, and my traps dont look like they belong to me. They're so developed ... not like Mr kleen's (I dont think I've seen traps like that even on a pro, except that Japanese guy whose name escapes me). So I think it will also be time to end the dirty bulk, which actually wasn't so dirty considering the last 3 weeks I have maintained the same weight.

I think the plan is on my time off to do light work here and there, along with throwing in some GPP that may continue into my next micro-cycle. I'll also do some holds as I think there's a real psychological barrier to me squatting anything above 380. I'll probably work up to a single with 365, then do a hold for as long as I can with 405. Maybe repeat this once or twice, and maybe even go down if I have a spotter (I wont even try to get it up on my own). One thing I really love about the upcoming cruise phases is I do step ups, and this exercise is just so awesome feeling. Although I'd like to start doing some hill sprints, I'll probably do all cardio inside. We'll see.

Anyways, that's all for now, folks. See ya in about 10 days (we'll I'll check in but I wont be putting up workouts until then).

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL hidetada? Or something? the jpn bb'er

Anyway dude that is one CRAZY A$$ widowmaker! HOLY. I WOULD HAVE DIED!

Kinda curious where you got your training methodology? Share to expand? (Unless you already posted it and I forgot I read it...)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL hidetada? Or something? the jpn bb'er

Anyway dude that is one CRAZY A$$ widowmaker! HOLY. I WOULD HAVE DIED!

Kinda curious where you got your training methodology? Share to expand? (Unless you already posted it and I forgot I read it...)
Actually it was Kyoshi Moody. Hidetada is super huge but his traps aren't inhuman. You should look at Moody's recent back shot.

Yeah man, this widowmaker had me seriously gasping for air. It's very funny, though. MY legs dont hurt at all. In fact, no parts of my body feel like they did anything yesterday. Kind of weird.

But anyways, I follow DC training currently. I'm not sure if this is answering your question. I follow it pretty much spot on, no modifications. I just choose my exercises and that's it. I also do some stuff for rear delts and mid/lower traps from time to time just to not have such extreme muscle imbalances by the end of a blast, and I do ab work. But doing this stuff doesn't mean it's suddenly not DC. I like what DC has done for my size and for my leg strength. It has also blasted my incline bench out of the water and has done great things for my back strength (however, my back was already growing like a weed perhaps even better on my previous routine), but not so great for my deadlift. So overall I like the routine and really wanted to give it a shot on a bulk, or at least a calorie surplus. In fact, part of DC training involves overeating, or eating a lot over your maintenance. Since doing so since July, I have really started to see things happen, and I am excited. So I'll probably run this until at least January, most likely March, at which point I'll start my cut.

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
Well done bro! Stuck with it like a champ and your P's are insane. My brother and i are going to do a round of DC starting in January. Oh and static holds on any have always worked to boost mental and physical confidence. Good sh*t once again bro and get a damn camera phone. Lol!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well done bro! Stuck with it like a champ and your P's are insane. My brother and i are going to do a round of DC starting in January. Oh and static holds on any have always worked to boost mental and physical confidence. Good sh*t once again bro and get a damn camera phone. Lol!
Haha I hear that. Well everyone I know who has done DC has loved it, so I'm sure you guys will, too. Stick with the structure and watch your lifts blow up!

So today I went back to the gym after a 10 day break. Man, I got punished for it :(

----------------------------

MONDAY 11/28/11

A1 SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
225-8,3,1-12 rp
Too heavy too soon hahaha

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
155-9,5,3-17 rp

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
70-8,3,1-12 rp
Really too heavy for first day, apparently

400-9,4,2-15 rp
PHAT negs plus static at end
omg the pump on this is insane

RACK PULLS
515- 6<-- my grip was so bad but I'm really happy I hit my target
455-15 <-- LOL EZ

**DC stretch for back**

I was too ambitious with my first day back today. I think I lost some strength in my cruise phase most likely from my diet not being on point. I ate less than I normally do now, mostly because I wasn't lifting hard or doing much of anything hard. But I lost 8lbs, almost 10lbs, and I felt it for sure. My back workouts were the only thing I got right, although I felt real good about my wide grip upright rows.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What follows is a chronicle of perhaps my worst workout (in terms of plan vs. execution) ever!

WEDNESDAY 11/30/11

B1 SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
115-8,5,3-15 rp
PHAT negatives plus static at end
wow I forgot how awesome this feels lol

PINWHEEL CURLS
75-12

Most painful stretch ever holy sh1t

DC CALF PRESSES
+330-10
15 sec hold
Had to pause twice before stopping. I have a terrific pain in my callus on my big toe. I think I might have messed it up - ill have to check

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
160-8,3,3-14 rp

350-3
260-12

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**
HANGING AB RIPPER 10x3
HIP ABD 150-12x3
LEG RAISES 20x3
HIP ADD 150-15x3

I had waaay too much mobility for my hack squats, not to mention the time off plus now battling a cold will play a role in my workouts. But I literally hit the hack squat machine on the floor 3 times, the second having to assist myself wihle the third time being completely unrecoverable. I'm not accustomed to having this much flexibility - normally I don't think about how deep I go, I just go as deep as my body allows me to, which on this machine is usually a good very wide fist's length below parallel. Obviously I will have to bear in mind my situation now when I do these. But also, hopefully as I eat my ass off after these workouts my strength will come back up and I can hit the widowmakers and strength sets properly. Three reps is really not so bad considering the goal is 6; it's like I'm using 5%, or less, extra weight than I should, so that's not horrid. So honestly, it wasn't the worst workout, and my legs feel so beyond fried, so that's what truly matters in a sense. I just was looking forward to resetting my squat to 375, but it looks like I'll have to wind it down to 365, which means maybe 7 weeks before I try 395 :(

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 12/02/11

A2 SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
245-8,3,1-12 rp plus 1 forced rep
****ed up shoulder 2nd rp

**DC stretch for chest**
Great stretches

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
135-7,3,2-12 rp

Gross delt pump

SMITH JM PRESS
162-10,4,1?-15 rp
Triceps feeling like exploding

!!!

WIDE PULLUPS @ 240
25-8,3,2-13 rp
It's better if I hang instead of go go go

DEADLIFTS
485-3 <-- this is just unfamiliarity, it'll come back to me soon
Naked reps, reset each time
Twisted to my left on warmup, may have tweaked my lower back or something. Tomorrow we will see
415-7

**DC stretch for back**

SEATED DB CLEANS
15-12
20-8,8

Well, I would call this a really successful workout, at least considering it's my first cycle post undereating/cruise phase. I really wanted to be at the upper end of the rest pause reps for everything, but being off by a few is not the end, again, considering. What was kind of disappointing was my strength set on deads. I kind of messed up during a warm up, having twisted while pulling the bar, so I was so worried during my work set that it interfered. 485 was actually not incredibly hard. I did get stuck at the 4th rep in the lock out, and when I saw my back curving I immediately dropped it instead of grinding it out. Safety first! As noted, I think I may have figured out my pull up problem. But I still need to figure out why my lats are SO WEAK WTF!! From 75lbs added to 25lbs... But otherwise, really nice workout. I had chinese buffet afterwards - 2 thin, lean steak cuts (about 5oz altogether), 4 rock fish fillets, tons of squid and octopus, lots of fruit, and two brownies. Ready to get that bloat on! Haha.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SUNDAY 12/04/11

B2 SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
55-9,5,3-17 rp
Obviously couldn't push too hard but I was getting a headache during rps and forearm was brutalized

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
130-20
Forearm really sensitive today...lol

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
330-12
15 sec hold
Phew forgot how these can be lol

GHR
25-9,4,2-15 rp
Gross couldn't walk for a bit lol

LEG PRESS
18+10-11 <-- Woulda had more if it weren't for those shallow ones
14+10-20
Not easy on the psyche, gotta get used to it again lol

STANDING AB CURLS
170-15,15,15

LEG LIFTS
20x3

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TUESDAY 12/06/11

A3 SPLIT

DECLINE BENCH
285-7,4,2-13 rp
Static sucked dick bc of spotter oh well

**DC stretch for chest**

SEATED BB PRESS
145-10,3,2-15 rp
Wow whipped the sh1t out of myself lol

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
185-11,4,3-18 rp
LOOOOOOL WTF??? Somebody slipped some dbol in the drinking water

BENT OVER ROWS
315-8 <-- all awesome cept last rep ... little jerk lol
275-11
Pause when contracted

200-8,4,2-14 rp
Controlled reps, last two rp were all negatives

**DC stretch for back**

Wow, I was fried after this workout. It was pretty intense. Everything was hit so well, except maybe my chest since the spotter I grabbed at the gym was way too touchy with the bar :\ Anyways, I was seriously surprised not just by my seated shoulder press set but also by my close grip bench press - wow. And I was real happy that I decided to progress to 335 on the bent over rows the last time I did them - that meant I could reset to 315 instead of 305, which was awesome. And it felt ... a little too awesome. My upper back (traps, rhomboids, lats) felt so raped after that set that I couldn't even get myself to think about doing some auxiliary lifts for the mid traps/rear delts. Honestly, I feel that with two sets of BO rows, plus Tbar rows, I should get enough rear delt work in anyways. So in conclusion, I think I'm starting to get back into DC.

On another related note, I think I kinda misunderstood coasting/cruising, even though it was laid out in about the plainest terms one can use. Next time, I think I'm gonna do my old strength BB template on my coast days instead of doing a straight up deload during which I feel I lose so much. But I wont do stretching during that time as it is the correct thing to do.

Also, I've recently picked up doing cardio again - LOL. I'm giving the DC cardio for calves routine a shot on off days. I started off at 15 minutes to give it a shot. DC cardio is done on a treadmill. You set incline to 15, you lean over such that your head is floating over the dash board of the treadmill, and you take long strides, pushing off with your big toe. As I said, I started off at 15 minutes, doing 3.0 mph for 6 minutes, 2.5mph for 4, 2.0 for 3, and 1.5 for 2 minutes. The slower mphs really do hit the calves hard. No, I do not have nor did I take taurine, and I didn't have cramp problems during this either. So I might do 15 minutes again tomorrow, then try for the 20 minute routine (which after looking at it might be a little much, lol). But if there's something lacking in my physique, and there is, it's my goddamn calves!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 12/08/11

B3 SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
45-8,3,1-12 rp

HAMMER CURLS
65-13
Sweet ass form

Grossitude

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
165-12
Paralyzed...

Ham machine broken, so none of that today

BOX SQUATS
365-6 <-- crap my form went to hell on 6th rep. Back totally opened up
275-20?
I think I cheated by sitting on the box on a couple of reps

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
170-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

There has never been a time that I wanted to die more than during today's widowmaker. Oh dear God was I fighting it with everything I had in me. The worst part is having to increase the weight next week LOL. But I'm gonna make sure today to eat my ass off so that I kill it next time. Also, my strength set today was really weird. The 365 flew, and I mean flew, the first few reps. Rep 4 it was kind of weird, and rep 5 my back opened up completely. I also flew the weight up so hard that it bounced each rep after the first, and by the 5th it was kind of offset a bit. This made my 6th rep almost completely fail, and I basically good morning'd it up. I did well on the other stuff, so no complaints there.

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
That widow maker made me hurt, while im sitting at work on a Tempurpedic. Lol! Solid day bro.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That widow maker made me hurt, while im sitting at work on a Tempurpedic. Lol! Solid day bro.
Haha, thanks. Can't wait to see you and your bro hit up DC training come january.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 11/28/11

A1 SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
225-7,3,1-11 rp
I don't know what happened...guess rough sex and bad diet today ? Lol

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
165-8,4,2-14 rp
Jerking, gonna have to redo this weight

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
70-8,4,2-14 rp
negatives plus static at end
Some reps were quicker than I wanted them to be, damn. It's bc im in a rush

410-8,4,2-14 rp
PHAT negs plus static at end

RACK PULLS
525-6 <-- naked reps, reset each rep
485???-12<-- I thought I was doing 465 until I was racking the weight, and I noticed I had a 35 on the side instead of a 25. I'm hoping I made this mistake on the other side too and didn't f*ck up my back (it actually feels very raw right now as I write this, so it's possible I did mess it up)

**DC stretch for back**

FACEPULLS
140-16,8,4 = 28 rp negatives
I did these rest-paused since I was in such a hurry

Wow, I just kicked my own ass pretty hard today. I was in a huge rush since I had a date that I wanted to be on time for. I seriously rushed through everything, half-assing some of my warmups (for better or worse: see incline bench), but overall I still had a good workout. I clearly bombed the incline bench - not only did my rep scheme kind of suck, but I also did not feel my upper pecs were fried; I also felt as if my front delts had been a little overworked. So having gone down a rep, having no muscle-ripping pump in my upper pecs, and feeling somewhat worn front delts - this was a bad set. I hate being rushed. But again, liked everything else. I clearly was a manimal on the rack pulls though, lol. That weight got handled good.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Skipped right to this page, can you hook it up with a cliffs on what you're working on?

Got some serious strength. DC is one plan I haven't tried yet, probably won't until I've been training for at least 5 years. What basic plans have you used with good results (for strength and mass)???
Hey longhorn, glad you dropped by! Currently, I'm running DC in the hopes of putting on muscle and strength while holding off fat as much as possible. What I'm striving for, however, is more of a strength goal - I want to be able to squat at least 405 for 6 reps, and if I hit that sooner than later I may decide to set my next goal at a 455 squat, which might mean extending my bulk well into March/April. We'll see, though.

Basically the only proper training programs I've done are DC and Western Template. I had little luck with Western Template (95% my fault), but through my own programming got to where I was before I began DC, which was benching 295x2, squatting 385x1, deadlifting 500x1, and seated military pressing 185x3. I made sure my programming had all of the keys to success, mainly progressive overload and periodization. Every lift I put 100% effort into performing it with correct form and full range of motion. And I ate a lot better. I didn't pay attention to my calorie intake, but I made sure to get in enough protein.

Honestly, I can't tell you with 100% conviction if I feel DC has given me better results than if I had stuck to my own programming since July of this year (when I decided to stick to DC template 100% plus "overeat" per the protocol). But I know for a fact that my squat has increased tremendously, and my incline bench is pretty awesome and I couldn't have gotten it up as high as it is without DC training. I intend to eventually go back to my own system sometime next year and seeing how it goes ... it'll be a nice break from DC and these widowmakers, that's for sure - oh wait, I'll still be doing those LOL.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those are some solid stats for your lifts, I'm sure that 455 squat goal will be met soon.

IIRC DC training requires a partner?

I'm doing what you did with diet, not really tracking my calories but making sure to get in ample protein. This seems to work best when bulking. I save tracking cals for when I'm cutting.
Yeah, DC requires a partner unless of course you use machines. I need a partner for my 3 benching movements and for close grip bench presses, but otherwise I'm fine on my own. I usually just ask someone for a spot, and it only ever sucks once in a while - oddly enough it's usually during flat benching that I get the worst spotters.

But yeah, about calories I agree -it's best to leave that for cutting. I do advocate eating clean year round except maybe once a week or on the weekends eating dirty, but keep it to 1 or 2 days max I say. Once I started pounding donuts on a daily basis (this is bulking, right?) things went south pretty fast, hahaha.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 12/14/11

A2 SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
255-7,3,1-11 rp plus fr
PHAT Negatives plus static at end.
No pain at all, sweet, just really shaky which was really weird

**DC stretch for chest**
Stretches kinda tore my shoulders up today, damn

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
145-7,4,1-12 rp
Cool?
Form was real bad on these, shaking on every rep. Didn't cheat but idk what's with the shaking today

SMITH JM PRESS
172-10,3,2-15 rp

WIDE PULLUPS @ 240
35-8,3,2-13 rp

DEADLIFTS
495-3 <--Naked reps, reset each time. Truly picture perfect reps but I didn't want to push it
425-7

**DC stretch for back**

Man, some force out there was set to kill me at the gym today. I was shaking during all of my working sets (only second week into this blast wtf?) and twice a plate fell on me, each on a different foot. The first was after I finished doing pullups, and the second was the very last plate I unloaded from the bar when I finished deadlifting. I dont know what was wrong, but damn. At any rate, pretty good workout - I'll probably end up moving up weight on everything though I may consider staying at this deadlifting weight. I'll think about it... I had no time to do seated cleans so I'll do them tomorrow after cardio I guess.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
strong workout man...what's the "naked reps" for DL?

I get the worst spotters on flat bench as well, I stopped asking for anyone to help and now I get my wife to spot. Dudes always wanna curl the weight instead of properly spotting lol.

Dropped a 45 lb on my foot last week fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. shyt hurt.
At some point, I may either reach a weight on the deadlift where I feel it's optimal to wear a belt, or I may get to a point either physically or whatever where I want to/have to wear a belt. Or maybe wear briefs. But until then, naked reps is just something for me to denote that I'm not wearing straps, belt, briefs, or anything of that sort. Like I could be naked and still do that weight, lol.

The thing that pissed me off was how the first plate wasn't even one I was using (I was using the 35). It was just there, but it was standing perfectly upright and I didn't bump into it so it had no reason to just fall. And the second one fell on my ankle, and I thought I was gonna be in pain today ... but nothing of the sort. Just my ass and calves hurt, the calves mostly because I work them just about every day now (since I'm doing DC styled cardio).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i might need to do the DC cardio. I never work calves :eek:
The only comment I gotta make is that while I can't justify the routine as good enough for supporting cardiovascular health, it sure does ravage you and make you insanely hungry. Also burns many more calories than the treadmill would indicate.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRIDAY 12/16/11

B2 SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
60-8,4,2-14 rp
PHAT negs plus hella long static
My form wasn't very stable but no jerking. I coulda had 15 but passed it in fAvor of not messing anything up

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
140-23
Forearm really sensitive today

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
340-12
15 sec hold
Massive calf pump

GHR
35-9,4,2-15 rp

My ****ing gym closed because they're all gay, so here I am making up something to work my quads at this gym in the meantime

STANDING LEG PRESS
540-10 <-- oh dear me, this was extreme on the legs
410-20 <-- a little easy

STANDING AB CURLS
170-15,15,15

LEG LIFTS
20x3

I should have made this post much earlier - I dont really have much to say now. My lifting schedule is gonna suck because the gym closes for about a week during the holidays. I also started Alpha-T2 this past week, on Monday. The results are starting to kick in. I'm down about 1-1.5% since 2 weeks ago. Pretty drastic - PES definitely makes some of the best supps out there. And oh yeah, this is happening while I'm eating about 4000 calories every day now since I added in the DC cardio. So much for thinking I was an endomorph LOL

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys! Guess what? I brought the vids!!

SUNDAY 12/18/11

A3 SPLIT

DECLINE BENCH
295-6,3,3-12 rp
this is not reflective of my real strength. I took a much longer break after second rp since my spotter had to use restroom LOL

**DC stretch for chest**

SEATED BB PRESS
155-8,4,2-14 rp

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
195-10,3,2-15 rp +1 fr

Jesus rock hard pumps (I don't even think this makes sense)

BENT OVER ROWS
325-8 <-- first 5 reps good but then became jerky
285-11

210-6,3,2-11 rp
Negatives

**DC stretch for back**

So I'm posting the vids I took of me doing BO Rows. My thoughts on today's performance are in the video comments, lol. Nevertheless, here it is. As they say, put up or ... =p

http://youtu.be/uLQLfQ9JRQw

http://youtu.be/JUSGAvmmI7M

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 12/08/11

B3 SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
50-8,3,2-13 rp

HAMMER CURLS
70-12
Sweet ass form

Omg skin tearing pumps, getting kinda tired of this lol

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
175-12

SEATED HAM CURLS
215-12,6,3-21 rp

BOX SQUATS
375-6
285-20 fock my life is so hard

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
170-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

God, I felt like ****ing death after those squats. Especially the widowmaker. I seem to be losing my mental edge and wanting to quit around 14 - it used to not be until rep 16. Anyways, what counts is I finished it. I seem to not get my air in which makes for less than stellar form and puts me at jeopardy ... I should be more conscious of this. Anyways, pretty awesome workout.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THURSDAY 12/22/11

A1 SPLIT

INCLINED BENCH
235-6,3,3-12 rp
????

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS
165-8,4,2-14 rp
Kinda bad tension in shoulder during these. Musts been using bad grip. Left shoulder totally burnt

**DC stretch for delts**

DIPS
80-6,3,1-10 rp
negatives plus static at end
Worst dips in my life. Left Shoulder was fubar

420-8,4,2-14 rp

RACK PULLS
545-6<-- naked and reset. Easiest 6 reps lol!
485-12

**DC stretch for back**

FACE PULLS
140-14,12,12

Well today I tried out this other gym since mine is closed for a week. I gotta say, I really like it. It has a great environment, and all the equip one could wish for. The one thing is that their power rack station is super tiny. I seriously felt like I was in a torture chamber it was so small. Anyways, loved everything but I screwed up my shoulder doing upright rows. When I went to do dips, it was hell. I had to cut several reps pretty short because my shoulder was in excruciating pain towards the end. I didn't count like 3 or 4 of my super short reps, but I counted some others because quite frankly my triceps still felt pretty hit but just not as great as usual. I'll have to repeat this weight next week even though there's no doubt in my mind I could have gotten it had my shoulder not been tweaked. On rack pulls, goddamn. Very nice, and very easy.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 12/26/11

B1 SPLIT

BARBELL CURLS
135-5,2,2-9 rp
PHAT negatives plus static at end

PINWHEEL CURLS
85-10

DC CALF PRESSES
+350-12
15 sec hold

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
???-9,4,2-15 rp
Diff machine, can't really tell what the weight is (might be 160 lol...)

HACK SQUATS (weight minus carriage) diff machine, footing is really slanted poorly
360-5 <-- depth on these were terrible on this machine. For some reason this much weight made my whole torso move forward and I felt like falling so had to cut short prematurely for balance
270-20
Buried these so far below I could feel Satan's eyelashes tickling my balls

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**
HANGING AB RIPPER 12,12,9
LEG RAISES 20,20,20

Today I went to a completely different gym from the one I've been going to previously. I decided that there was no way in hell I was not going to work out for 5/6 days - that would constitute a deload, and not having even reached my goals from my last blast, this would mean I would be falling way behind in my training. I can't have that happen. I was just about prepared to pay $15 to work out at Gold's when I learned that a gym in town was giving out week passes to their gym for free. This gym is pretty well known to people like myself who take their workouts seriously (and to athletes training for competitive leagues). I gotta say, I really like this gym. They got 2 half racks, a normal power rack, and then all the other equipment a person needs. Only complaints are they have the weird hip abductor/adductor machine that you do standing (I know this is even better for you than the seated ones, but I just hate using it and how you have to make like 20 adjustments for a person of my height), and the leg press machine is really a butt press machine. Also, their hack squat has a weird angle, and as you see from my log if you put on sufficient weight it'll actually push you kind of off the machine, so that's a pain in the ass. Otherwise you can really nail your quads on this - but I and others need to be careful because going ass to heals on this (which I did for my widowmaker) may be putting a lot of unwanted stress on the knees. Anyways, overall I liked this gym.

P.S. just noticed that my previous workout was done at the same gym, lol. Forgot about that, but yeah, it's still new to me.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 12/27/11

A2 SPLIT

FLAT BENCH
265-6,1,1-8 rp +1 fr
Good Negatives plus static at end.
Wow wtf this felt way too heavy. Also weight almost rolled off my wrists

**DC stretch for chest**

STANDING MILITARY PRESS
155-5,5,2-12 rp
So I had a quad cramp after 5th rep first rp. This kinda interrupted things tho I was back at it after 30-50 seconds. Thus the imbalanced set

SMITH JM PRESS
182-8,3,2-13 rp

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS
200-8,4,2-14 rp
PHAT Negatives plus static at end

DEADLIFTS
505-2 <--Naked reps, reset each time. Grip was dead from yesterday, had nothing on this bar
435-6

**DC stretch for back**

So, probably not a totally bullet-proof idea to come to the gym today without waiting an extra day between the grip-testing, quad-blasting exercises I did the previous day. I really pushed my body here, and it definitely yelled back at me. Man, I'm having some issues with my upper body though. Like on bench, that bar was wiggling around everywhere (I dont mean helicoptering, I just mean I was shaking). My wrists even almost gave out at one point, and that was somewhat scary. I'll not only redo the weight, but I may wear wraps next time. On the other hand, my military pressing was pretty awesome. My deadlift ... well, it sucked that my grip wasn't there for it. Almost hit a triple but I dropped the bar from the air, lol. It made such a loud noise I was afraid at one point a plate had broken. But no damage. Anyways, gotta redo pretty much most of the weight except the wide grip lat pulldowns. Those I did real nice and slow negatives, and I like it a lot. No bad tension on my shoulders like pullups. It sucks, though, because this means I am not doing any form of pullups/chinups naturally, all on a machine. But I gotta do what I gotta do. And at least I always have BO Rows.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, I've let my log slide the past week or so. Well, I guess it's not all my fault; afterall, my regular gym has been closed for about 10 days starting Xmas break. Anyways, I have 3 updates to make, so I'll make them in their own separate posts. Finally back to my normal gym and I should be able to resume an every other day (EOD) workout schedule like I've maintained the past 4 months or more.

-----

THURSDAY 12/29/11

B2 SPLIT

SEATED ALT DB CURLS
65-6,3,3-12 rp
PHAT negs plus hella long static
So I kinda pussied out with the weight first two rp, thus the strange sequence

REVERSE GRIP CABLE CURLS
150-20

Pumps straight from hell

DC HACK SQUAT CALF PRESS
350-12
15 sec hold
Massive calf pump

GHR
45-7,3,2-12 rp

STANDING LEG PRESS
12+10-10 <-- spaghetti!!
9+25-20 <-- a little easy

STANDING AB CURLS
170-15,15,15

LEG LIFTS
20x3

My legs were fried today, as were my arms. I really don't mind doign this standing leg press. It hits the legs super. However, I don't know how it'll translate back to the leg press. I hope I don't lose too much - honestly I hope I gain, more than anything. We'll see. If not, I might just very well stick with the standing leg press from now on out as beforehand, I would actually travel between 2 gyms on this day just to do 1 workout. Reason is the leg press at this current gym sucks balls (though the standing leg press is legit), but this gym is the only one with a GHR, and I practically needed to do the GHR on a leg press day (the leg day with the least "lower back" work associated with it), so that's why I went through the inconvinience of traveling between gyms. Now I may not have to...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MONDAY 01/02/12

A3 SPLIT

DECLINE BENCH
295-6,5,1,1-13 rp
Again had like a minute break between first two rp so I did a 4th...hurst like a mofo

**DC stretch for chest**

SEATED BB PRESS
165-6,2,1-9 rp

**DC stretch for delts**

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
205-8,3,2-13 rp

Jesus rock hard pumps (I don't even think this makes sense)

BENT OVER ROWS
335-7 <-- little jerking throughout but honestly not too shabby
295-11
No pause. Gonna have to redo weight

220-4,2,1-7 rp
Negatives plus short static at end

**DC stretch for back**

Well I have adopted using wrist wraps on the bench finally. It helped a lot, even though I ended up redoing the first rp since I took a minute break after the 6 rep one. God, doing 4 rp sets was horrendous - I actually had DOMS in my chest for 2 days, which is far longer than I've had it in the past year. Anyways, everything was pretty good today. I'll have to redo shoulder press and BO Rows, sadly, as well as TBar rows, but otherwise I can proceed onwards with decline bench and close grip bench press.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WEDNESDAY 01/04/12

B3 SPLIT

SEATED EZ CURLS 19.5
55-6,2,1-9 rp
Fat Negatives plus 15 missippi second static after

HAMMER CURLS
75-12
Sweet ass form

Arms destroyed

DC SEATED CALF RAISES
180-11

SEATED HAM CURLS
225-12,6,3-21 rp

BOX SQUATS
385-4 <-- need to work on spreading the floor, I keep forgetting with heavy weight
295-20

STANDING ROPE AB CURL
170-15,15,15

LEG RAISES

This gets an award for the most brutal workout I've had in a long, long while. I hit those EZ bar preacher curls with full extension of the bicep, very slow negatives, and a static that would break most people. When I loaded the weight on there I thought to myself "this can't be right, this is too much weight." But I handled it very well. That plus the hammer curls, my biceps and forearms were stomped. And those squats, god. I was pushed to such great lengths to get that done that I actually had tears running down my cheeks. I wasn't sobbing or anything, it was just I guess my body had been stressed pretty highly. I almost had 5 with 385 but I leaned forward and got stapled by the weight. As noted I wasn't spreading to move up from the box, so I think if I work on that I should be able to keep a more stable form througout the set. Very happy about this, though. I'll be trying for 305x20 next B3 workout, then the mighty 315 for 20 after that one.