Rantorcha's AAEFX Training Journal - Road to...

Page 8 of 9 First ... 36789 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

4 DAYS OUT…

That all that’s left. 16 weeks has all come down to these last few days.

I woke up this morning before my alarm clock to the sounds of a car being pulled out of its spot by a tow truck in my building (that guy is going to be pissed he didn’t park in a visitor spot!). That was fun. It was ok though because as I was trying to fall back asleep, I was pseudo-dreaming about my posing routine and ended up making some subtle changes to it. I do my best thinking as I am in that half sleep-half awake state. Pretty funny.

I quickly ran to a pen and paper to write it down. If not, I’d forget and it’d be gone forever! Alright, I was up, so I figured I’d start my day a little early. I got my stuff together and hit up my morning cardio…I checked that off my list. I did my normal daily routine and went to work. Pluggin’ away until it was time to train.

Training today was fun, as it was my last training session before the show. It is a bitter/sweet thing since I love training, but that also means that the show is almost here, which is even better.

Not too many changes today. I got my changes a little bit ago from the Mad Scientist – Coach Broser! He truly is the master at this stuff. I like the way things are progressing and after these next couple of days and with his changes, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

3 DAYS OUT.....

I've got some carbs back today, which is always a good thing, but we are starting to shrink-wrap my physique. I did some posing practice of my routine this morning and will be doing some more posing after work today. I'll also be hitting the tanning bed for the last time this afternoon.

Last night I did some salt-free cooking in anticipation of the last couple of days. Cooking always brings me to start thinking about things that I am going to have after the show.

But before I list some of the items I've been thinking about eating, I want to say something here...in print (or on screen)...so I can make myself accountable - not that I'm not always accountable to myself. But I do want to say it here - I WILL NOT TAKE MY WEIGHT HIGHER THAN 195 IN THE OFF-SEASON, AS LONG AS I AM A COMPETITIVE BBer!!!

That said (insert laughter here), here are some things I've been looking forward to...
    - I want chocolate cake! I'll probably have some delicious chocolate chip cookies for pump up, so that's out of the way, so choc cake is first on the list.
    - I need a good burger & fries from Five Guys!
    - Pizza - I haven't had any in so long. I can almost taste the sauce. lol
    - Oooo, a Chicken Parm sub. I almost forgot my favorite sandwhich.
    - Speaking of sandwiches...this sounds extemely strange, but hey, it's my list! I have dreamed about a strange new type of sandwhich that I'll b emaking next week. I want to make 2 grilled cheese sandwhiches (low carb bread, of course!) in the Foreman Grill-panini-sytle. Then load up one of the already made grilled cheese sandwhiches with ham and then put the 2nd sandwhich on top to make one big ass sandwhich. Then, I'd put that in to the grill and press. MMMMM.
    - Cold Stone Creamery

Obviously, I won't have all of these at once!! But, it is a nice starter-list of things I want to taste once the show is over
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

2 DAYS OUT.....

Here are some little tidbits -
    - Today I woke up and went through my normal routine, did some posing, and got my stuff together. Step by step...cross off each task each day.

- I have to say, from about the 6-weeks-out mark until about 2-weeks-out time seems to fly by. However, from the 2-weeks out mark until contest day, it seems like time crawls!!!

- I am officially off from work now, so there's one thing I don't need to worry about. I've got pretty much everything ready to go for Saturday.

- I went to the grocery store today to get a few things - a few things for the next couple of days leading up to the show and a few things for post-contest fun! I bought some chocolate chip cookies (which are my favorite dessert/snack). I also bought some trail mix. I don't know why, but I saw it in the store a couple of weeks ago and I can't get them out of my mind! So, I had to get some. I also got a couple of candy bars for pump up. We'll see what I bring, I guess.

- I'll be heading to the Blockbuster soon and renting a couple of funny movies. I figured I could use some comedy relief. I'm thinking about getting 1) Hot Tub Time Machine and 2) She's Just not that into Me. We'll see what I haven't seen yet when I get there.

WISH ME LUCK!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Thoughts from Saturday…

Let’s get the business side of things out of the way first. I got 1st place in my weight class, which was great, but wasn’t quite at the level of the guy who won the overall and the Pro Card! I can’t complain because I came in even a tad sharper this time than last (from what people tell me). That is all I can ask for each time I step on stage.

Before I continue I have to mention some things. First and foremost, thanks to my coach and very good friend, Eric for not only training me, but for also keeping my focus throughout prep. I’ve said it before, but I should say again, this was THE HARDEST prep I have ever taken part in…HANDS DOWN! I wasn’t sure I’d get to the level I needed to be, but Eric made sure all of it happened. And, most importantly, it was NATURAL!

I met some great people, including my new friend, Ray. My family was with me, as usual, to share that very memorable day with me.

Feel MUCH better today. No more feeling light headed when I get up from a chair or the couch. I had my fun eating between Saturday night and Sunday, but I am back at a relative diet plan today.

If there was one negative, though, it would be that my girls weren’t with me. This show was on their mother’s time and they were away. It was a bummer not to have them there, but I had on two “silly bands” that my girls gave me. One in the shape of “I Love You” and one in the shape of “XOXO”

Future plans…
    Not sure right now. I am going to take the rest of this week (or maybe part of next) to come up with a plan with Eric and see if I can handle yet another contest prep. Last year I dieted from February until early June for one show; then 12 more weeks leading up to November; and this year I’ve already dieted for 16 weeks. Can I go through another 10+ weeks with my birthday, football season and other days mixed in there? We’ll see.

That said, I woke up and did some cardio this morning. Back to training today. Nothing special, just something to get the blood pumping a bit.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up my girls from school and it was so great to see them again! It is also nice (in a strange way) to get back into the normal school schedule.

I was back at it today. Did my 20 minutes of morning cardio and hit the gym this afternoon. I am experimenting with a different kind of split, so today was DELTS & HAMS/GLUTES.

I am planning to hit Delts pretty hard now from all angles, but with a little more weight. Hams/Glutes will be hit with lighter weight, but major squeezing and stretching. We'll see how this plan pans out (and what Coach says about it).

Still not ready to make a decision on the November show.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Even though today is my off day, I still decided to wake up and do cardio. I can't say that my diet since this weekend has been perfect. So, given the fact that I want to keep my bf in check - even if I decide not to compete in November - I figured I might want to keep in some cardio while I get rid of some of these cravings.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Hey you!!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    Hey you!!
    Hey, look who it is!!! Where ya been, kiddo? How has everything been going?
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I'm coming right out and admitting it, I haven't been very good food-wise after this show. I have been on my diet pretty much all day, but when I get home, I've been having a cheat meal of sorts. I've tried to mitigate the damage by keeping in some morning cardio, but after the last 4 days, I think I am tone it down a bit as far as the eating goes.

I decided to wake up this morning and increase my cardio to 30 minutes. Also, after my training session today, I decided to do another 20 minutes. I'll be lower my intake overall for the next few days and we'll see where we are then.

I am still contemplating the November show. All of the above is with thoughts of possibly going for it. There is one thing for sure...no matter what the outcome if I do end up doing the show in November, I will absolutely take at least one full year off.

This afternoon I had a nice training session for Triceps and Quads (& Calves) - this is part of a split I am trying this week. Things may change for next week, but it has been interesting so far.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I am sure it is diet-related and not taking dieting sleep stuff, but my sleep has been very strange lately. More specifically, I've been HOT! I've literally woken up sweating in the middle of the night and I HATE sweating in bed. And that's with an overhead fan on high! lol Oh well. Things will get back to normal soon. Funny thing, that body physiology!

Just finished my first week back to training. I didn't quite get all out...kept things around 8-10 reps all week. Didn't quite go to failure either. But next week, things change! I've devised my plan and will start on Monday. Even if I don't compete in November, I still want to use this rebound-period and be able to put on a few pounds of muscle right out of the chute.

This morning was another 30 minute cardio session. And this afternoon's training was good too - Chest and Biceps. My biceps were all "blowed" up. lol Then, I felt the need to hit another 15 min stairmill session. Will prob do another small session tonight in anticipation of going out tonight. We'll see.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    Hey, look who it is!!! Where ya been, kiddo? How has everything been going?
    Hey! Things have been ok. With no computer its been hard to keeep a log here! But I went ahead and started one to keep me motivated.

How have you been?
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Hey! Things have been ok. With no computer its been hard to keeep a log here! But I went ahead and started one to keep me motivated.

How have you been?
    Glad to see you're back and having fun with us!

I've been great! I just won my weight class last week and was a close 2nd in the overall. And now I'm thinking about entering the Pro Universe (NGA) in November for my elusive pro card. We'll see I guess.

Everything else is fantastic too! My girls are great and that's pretty much all I care about these days. lol
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

So today was the beginning of my new-found focus on training. I am taking different steps, but in an old way. In other words, I’ll be taking the old PRRS template and modifying it to fit my needs. In an effort to improve some of my weaker areas, I’ll be specifically using one of the PRRS “weeks” for that body part each day.

I’ve come to realize through experience and through sustaining and working through different injuries that for me, not all body parts like each type of PRRS week. For example, I can’t do Power Week for Chest because I have an impingement issue in my shoulder/neck area that gets aggravated each time. So, what you’ll see for a while is me trying my body’s version of PRRS.

Today was the start of that…with Power Back. I’ll be hitting a mini-session of Lats specifically for width on Thursday, so for today it was all encompassing.

My weights weren’t even close to what I normally do, but I was pretty pleased with my workout regardless since I am not taking in any supplements at all the last couple of weeks. (HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I CAN'T WAIT TO START TAKING MY EFX SUPPS AGAIN?!?!)
    BACK
    Wghtd Pullup
    45/5.5, 35/6, 35/5
    T-bar Corner Row
    5plts/8
    5plts+10/6
    5 plts+15/6
    Rev Grip BB Bent Row
    275/6+1, 275/6, 275/6
    Rack Deads
    365/6, 385/6, 385/6
    CG Pulldowns
    240/6, 255/4, 240/5

TRAPS – I have to be careful with traps because tightness in my traps causes me pretty nasty headaches in the couple of days following.
    DB Shrug – 105/10, 115/10, 115/10

Mini-CHEST
    Hammer Incl Press
    2plts+35 each/5
    2plts+35 each/5
    2plts+35 each/4
    Cable Crossover
    (low) 25/14, (mid) 25/15, (high) 25/15

CARDIO – was done for 30 minutes early this morning on the home treadmill
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

I'm betting you get that pro card!!!!!!!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I'm betting you get that pro card!!!!!!!
    Thanks, C! If I do decide to do the show in November, it will most def be my last shot at a pro card for a while. It will be 4 shows in the last 2 years and I need a mental and physical break. Plus I need a good off-season to put on some size! Thanks again!!!
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Holy CRAP am I sore!!! I’m not sure how it happened, but I think I forgot what a true Power Back day felt like…and more specifically, felt like afterwards!

No rest for the weary though, as I woke up this morning (sore as hell…yes, it was worth mentioning again. lol) and went to the gym for cardio – 30 minutes on the Stairmill.

This afternoon, I was back at the gym and ready to hit DELTS & HAMS/GLUTES…

DELTS (Hybrid)
    DB Seated Press (4-6)
    70/8, 75/4, 75/4
    DB Side Laterals (6-10)
    45/10, 45/9, 45/9
    WG Upright Row (6-8)
    115/8, 125/6+1
    Hammer Press – 3 additional heavy sets

HAMS (Rep Range)
    Seated Leg Curl (8-10)
    160/12+1, 175/8+1
    SL Deads (6-8) – low back was pretty tight from yesterday
    225/12 (too light, but kept going), 275/7, 275/7
    Modif. Hyperextensions
    BW/15, 15/15
    I wanted to do a drop set of Lying Leg Curl, but some chick was on there and I didn’t feel like asking to work in. Plus, it was time to go anyway.

Something pretty cool happened to me today and for some reason this has happened to me several times over the course of the last few weeks. (I guess being in relative contest shape will have the effect.) One of the guys I see periodically in the gym came up to me and introduced himself to me. During our brief introduction, he said he has seen me in there a lot and figured it was time to meet me. While he was at it, he gave me a tremendous compliment saying that I look like the muscle-model on those “How to Perform this Exercise” sheet on the machines. Not a bad way to make someone feel good about themselves and their hard work. I thanked him profusely.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I usually dread my off day (even though I still woke up and did cardio!), but after the last 2 training days of mostly Power training, my body soaked up any and all of the rest it could take in! I was so sore the last couple of days that it physically made me tired and sleepy. I’m not sure if I could’ve training yesterday if I had to. Not to mention, the last couple of nights of sitting on my couch with the girls, I’ve fallen right to sleep…at 7:30! And, last night was the first night in a while that my alarm clock actually had to do its job by waking me up.

I’m not complaining! I’m simply mentioning how great this week has been! lol

Anyway, after clearing the cobwebs, it was back on the treadmill this morning. And this afternoon, I hit up the gym for some more hell on my body.

Mini-BACK (Width) – (Power)
    WG Pulldowns – I’m a long way away from my strongest, but I did try to power the weight up and squeeze at the same time…not easy
    225/6, 225/6..drop..180/6
    V-bar Pulldowns
    240/8, 255/5
    Rev Grip Pulldowns
    240/6, 240/5+1
    EZ bar Stiff-arm Pulldowns
    150/9, 150/8

TRICEPS (Power)
    EZ bar Overhead Ext
    90/7+neg, 95/5+neg
    EZ Bar Pushdown
    170/7, 180/6, 180/4
    Smith Rack CG Press
    185/8, 185/7..drop..145/8

BICEPS (Rep Range) – biceps still pretty sore fro back day on Monday, so I did a couple less sets than normal.
    DB Hammer Curl
    55/6, 55/5
    90 degree Preacher
    75/9, 85/6
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I have been looking forward to tomorrow for a few weeks now. For what you ask…after a few weeks of not using any supplements whatsoever, I get to start back up again with all of my EFX supplements!! I can’t even tell you how excited I am. As I have a small rebound from my show, I know that my drug-free, but potent, yummie-tasting goodies will give me a nice little push forward.

But that’s tomorrow! Today started out as usual with some cardio – just maintaining for now as I am still deciding whether to do that damn November show!

Here was today’s training. Not too impressive on the weights by any means, but give me a little time and they’ll be back up again!

CHEST (Power)
    Incl Smith Press
    215/6, 215/4-1/2, 215/4-1/2
    Incl DB Press
    90/5, 85/5, 85/5..drop..65/6
    Incl DB Flyes
    55/9, 65/6
    Wghtd. Dips
    +70/5, +70/5..drop..BW/9

Mini-DELTS (Rep Range)
    Rack Smith Delt Press
    175/4-1/2, 165/5+neg, 155/8-1/2..drop..135/7 + 2 half reps
    Power Partial-Side Laterals
    1st set - 55/8..50/8..40/8..30/8
    2nd set - 55/8..50/8..40/8..30/8
    Rev Pec Dec
    165/10, 165/9..drop..120/9

Now I get to have a little fun. For the first time in about 4+ months, I am planning to go out and have a night out. Nothing too crazy, but it’ll be good for my mind to stretch my legs a bit in that respect.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

Have a fun night out! It sounds like you deserve it!
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Have a fun night out! It sounds like you deserve it!
    I certainly do deserve it! AND I DID have fun!! It's been a long time comin'.

Thanks, C!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I had a PHENOMENAL weekend! I went out a few times (something I haven’t done in months!) and had a really nice time yesterday hangin’ with the girls and some family. Of course, I got my workout in on Friday and yesterday. Hell, I even racked up some cardio minutes on Saturday afternoon. I went for 30 minutes, but for some reason, I was watching a great football game and it ended up being 45 minutes!

One bad note to report, Monday was the first time in several years that I missed a cardio session on purpose. It was either cardio or training and I opted for training in the morning. And BOY, was it in tense! I have been ratcheting things up in a major way recently and it is on!!

Today, I trained earlier this afternoon and it was an intense as yesterday. Here is how things went…

DELTS
    DB Press
    70/7, 75/4, 75/4..drop..52.5/6 – still not great weights by any means, but I’m workin’ hard!
    Lean-away Side Laterals
    30/13, 30/13, 35/9…ss/ two arm laterals 30/8 (strict from the side)…30/9 (from the front)
    Hammer Grip DB Front Raises
    30/?? (lost count), 30/15
    Lean into Bench Side Laterals
    20/5, 17.5/9+1, 20/6+2

HAMS/Glutes
    Lying Leg Curl
    125/7, 125/6+1, 125/6+1
    Seated Leg Curl
    175/6+1, 160/8+1, 160/7+1
    Stiff-Leg Deads – back still a tad tender from yesterday’s Rack Deads at 395!
    275/8, 275/8
    “Diagonal” One-Leg Press
    90/15, 90/15
    Abduction Machine
    130/30, 130/25

MAJOR STRETCHING!!!!
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

I'm glad you had a good weekend, it sounds like it was something you really needed and deserved! Good workouts as well!
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I'm glad you had a good weekend, it sounds like it was something you really needed and deserved! Good workouts as well!
    Thanks, C!
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Lucky for me and my sore body, today is my off day. I had trouble sleeping last night, so I decided not to wake up and do cardio, so I'll probably hit my treadmill at home later.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

If there was one word to describe today’s session is “intensity”! With each passing day, the post-contest enigma-days (as I call them, where you don’t know how to comport yourself after being so strict on everything for the last 3-4 months!) appear farther and farther in your rear view mirror. And as that happens, the focus on the next goal becomes more and more clear. In my case, it is that November show.

My training right now is as intense as ever…somehow even more than for this last contest. Sometimes the brain just gets itself into another gear and that’s where I am now! Or, maybe it’s just actually having more than 2g of carbs a day! lol

Did Quads & Back-width today…
    QUADS
    Hack Squats – these felt way heavier than I remember! haha
    4plts each/12, 4plts each/10, 4plts each/10
    Walking Lunges ss/ Leg Ext
    90/20 steps…145/10
    90/21 steps…145/9
    Leg Ext ss/ Sissy Squat
    130/10 (super slow) – 25/5..drop..0/3

BACK-width
    Horizontal D-bar Pulldown
    240/9, 255/6, 240/9
    CG Pulldown
    240/9, 240/10
    Stiff-arm Pulldown
    140/10; 140/8..drop..120/6..drop..100/6

ABS
    3 sets of v-ups
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Another incredible day at the gym today! Man, I love the way my physique feels right now. I’m not terribly strong by any means, but that’s fine. I’m trying to concentrate on not only the heavier weight, but also feeling the muscle at the same time, which is not easy for me.

That said, I tried to stay in the Power mode for Chest today and since my shoulders are a little shaky at times, Rep Range for my mini-Delt session.

CHEST
    Incl DB Press
    95/4, 90/6, 90/4..drop..75/5
    Wghtd Dips
    70/6, 70/5
    Decl Hammer Press
    90each side/10+5 ½ reps
    90each side/8+5 ½ reps
    90each side/8+5 ½ reps
    DB Pullovers
    90/7, 90/8

Mini-DELTS
    Behind-neck Smith Presses
    135/11, 145/7, 135/??
    Power Partial Side Laterals
    60/10..50/10..40/10..30/10
    60/8..50/8..40/6..30/6
    Side laterals
    30/15, 30/13+2
    Bent Laterals
    25/10+2, 25/10+4, 25/10+3

I’ve got to hit the gym tomorrow for some Bi’s and Tri’s, but after that it’s All About The “U”. Kyle, I love you like a brother, but OU is going down! lol
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

After a crazy stellar weekend, it was back at the gym today. And WOW, have my workouts been just insane lately. My level of focus and intensity is unmatched right now. It’s amazing what a few carbs, some energy and how one feels about their physique image does to ones confidence and training intensity!

I decided to go with straight Rep Range this week for all body parts, but for most bodyparts I sort of went in reverse order. In other words, I started with the higher rep ranges on my first set and went heavier from there.

BACK/TRAPS/LOW BACK
    WG Chins (13-15, 10-12, 7-9)
    bw/13, bw/10-1/2, bw/8
    Rev Grip Bent Row
    185/15, 225/9-1/2, 245/7
    Corner T-bar Row
    3plts+25/14
    4plts/11
    4plts+25/8+1
    DB Shrug (16-20, 13-15, 10-12)
    100/20, 120/15, 120/13
    Wghtd Hyperextensions
    25/20, 25/15, 25/13

Mini-CHEST
    Incline Hammer Press (13-15, 10-12, 7-9)
    90each side/15, 115each/8-1/2, 115each/7
    Incl Flye
    50/12, 50/11

Extra Back exercise since I had time…
    CG Pulldown
    195/15, 195/10+2

CARDIO – 20 minutes on the Stairmill

I’m certainly not reaching any of my personal best for these weights, but I am concentrating heavily on making sure the muscle group does the work instead of worrying about throwing up heavier weight. I’m convinced that this will help me add some either mass or detail in the short term as I rebound from my show.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I woke up this morning and hit cardio on my home treadmill for 30 minutes. After that, it was that nervous anticipation of hitting the gym for some hard training.

It was yet another fantastically intense session.

DELTS
    Smith Machine Press (7-9)
    175/7, 165/8-1/2, 165/7-1/2..drop..135/8
    WG Upright Row (10-12)
    115/12+1, 115/10+½, 115/8 + 2-R/P
    Plate Front Raises (16-20)
    45/20, 45/18
    DB Side Laterals (13-15)
    32.5/15+1, 32.5+15

HAMS/GLUTES
    SL Deads (7-9)
    295/9, 295/8
    Lying Leg Curl (10-12)
    125/5 (too heavy after SLDs), 95/11+1, 95/10 (barely)
    “Hoist” machine Seated Leg Curl
    Pos.10/12+1, P9/12..drop..P7/8
    Abduction ss/ Adduction
    2 sets each between 20-30 reps each
    Step Down on Assisted Pulldown Machine
    2 sets of 20 reps each leg

Tomorrow is an off day, but I will still get to the gym in the morning for some cardio and some calves.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Even though this is supposed to be my off day, I figured I needed to hit the gym to do a few extras this week - some cardio, calves and abs.

I hit the Stairmill at lunch for 20 minutes squeezing my glutes from different angles with every step.

Calves - I did 4 sets, plus a triple dropset at the end of calf press; then, since the seated calf machine was broken, I improvised by putting my feet on two stacked 10 pound plates and throwing heavy DBs on my knees

Abs - I just tore up my abs! That's it...that's all.
  30. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

Sounds like you will be bring home first place in Nov!!!!
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Sounds like you will be bring home first place in Nov!!!!
    Thanks, C! I'm throwing everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink into this one! lol
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

What an incredibly insane day at the gym today. Of course, it all started with my morning cardio. But by the afternoon, it was time to hit the weights. I keep talking about how high my intensity is lately at the gym and today was no different. I’m not necessarily breaking any personal bests weight-wise, but I “feel” each bodypart working extremely hard. I am STOKED to finally try the Test Charge starting this weekend!!! WOO HOO!! I’m actually scared of what this stuff will do to my workouts!

Here was today’s insanity!

BACK-Width
    CG Pulldowns (7-9)
    225/13 (too light!), 240/9, 240/7..drop..195/6
    Rev Hammer Pulldown (10-12)
    115each side/8+2, 105each/10, 105each/10+1..drop..70each/12
    One-arm Pulldown (13-15)
    75/15, 75/14
    WG Pulldown (16-20 done as dropset)
    180/8…150/6…120/7 – 21 total

BICEPS
    DB Hammer Curl
    35/12 (too light), 45/10
    90 degree Preacher
    65/8, 65/8 – hard on my wrists, so I went lighter and contracted more

TRICEPS
    Smith CG Press (7-9)
    215/9, 215/7..drop..175/6..drop..135/10+2
    Flat Lying Tricep Ext (10-12)
    85/12, 85/10+1, 85/10..drop..65/6
    EZ bar Pushdowns
    130/13, 130/10..drop..110/5..drop..90/4

Time for my NF-Pro and Kre-Generator to start my recovery process! I’m almost glad I won’t be training tomorrow. I am sure I’ll need the rest after the onslaught of today!

I’m gearing up to train with Eric on Saturday for some chest and delts. Hopefully, we can make that happen.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I know I mentioned it on the Natural Freak message board, but wasn't sure if I made it official yet over here! So, as most of you know I won my class in August, but was 2nd in the overall. My pro card still eludes me!!!

That will change soon. I am officially 8 weeks out from the amateur portion of the NGA Pro Universe.

I've stayed very streamlined since my show and probably look where I was 2-3 weeks out. I don't know what will happen come game day, but I KNOW I will look my all time best, hands down.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

In anticipation of training with Eric tomorrow (hopefully), I took my normal off day today. Nothing much to speak of except I woke up early, as usual, to do my cardio...30 minutes on my treadmill. Man, it is a brisk walk so early in the morning with only having been awake for about 5-7 minutes. lol All in a day's work!

The countdown to November begins...8 weeks out!
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

What a ridiculous weekend! And by ridiculous, I mean amazingly good. Went out on Friday with some friends and ended up later hanging out with my sister at a bar. Saturday, I started my day off at the pool and spent a nice chunk of time there. By the afternoon, it was time to gear up to train with my oh-so-good friend (and trainer too) & resident Natty Freak, Eric Broser. Most training session with Eric turn out to be pretty crazy, but today was an especially insane level of crazy. We hit Chest and Delts with some serious fervor and, quite frankly, some anger! Saturday night was filled with some more fun with friends.

Then on Sunday…NOTHING! I woke up around 11ish and did absolutely nothing but eat, sleep, and watch football. Awwwesome! I called this…the Calm before the Storm!

Because today started my Countdown to November! It started early this morning with 30 minutes on the Starimill. The Stairmill is both my friend…and my nemesis!

By the afternoon, it was time to hit the weights. One of the guys at the gym has asked to train with me for a while and I’ve kinda given him the runaround. I don’t usually like training with others (except for Eric). Well, I decided to say yes for today and I put him through the paces. He said, “I thought I worked out hard, but this is truly hard core”. We kept it rather short due to some tiem constraints, but it was extremely effective.

Since I did Hybrid PRRS with Eric on Saturday, I figured I’d stick with it for the rest of this training week.
    BACK
    Pullups
    +35/8, +35/7+1, +35/7..drop..bw/6
    One-arm Row
    110/14, 110/13
    Rev Grip Bent Row
    235/9..drop..185/6; 235/9+1..drop..185/7
    Rack Deads
    365/15, 385/13

TRAPS
    DB Shrug
    110/20, 120/15, 120/15+2

Now, it’s all about recovery!
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

I wrote in my Natural Freak blog about how insane my focus, drive and intensity has been in and out of the gym. To be honest, it’s freaking me out a little bit. I’ve only used EFX’s Test Charge since Saturday (for 4 days now) and I don’t remember ever being this driven in the gym. I keep getting additional reps and having to increase the weights I use…all 100% naturally!

Here is where the mind-f*ck starts…is this level of focus & drive sustainable? How long can I keep this level of intensity up? Obviously, things can’t be perfect/great forever, but can this be sustained for another 7+ weeks?! If so, November is going to be a fun month.

Today started with cardio, as usual…30 minutes on the Stairmill.

By the afternoon, my eyes were directed to the floor…focused and ready to annihilate my physique into growth. Here’s how it went…

DELTS
    DB Delt Press
    75/7-1/2, 75/6, 75/5
    WG BB Upright Row
    115/12, 125/8, 115/8+2 extra
    Rev Pec Dec
    165/18, 180/12..drop..150/8..drop..120/8
    Side Laterals
    42.5/12+1; 42.5/10..drop..30/8

HAMS/GLUTES
    Single-leg Leg Curl
    45/12+1, 50/10+1, last set…2-Leg – 100/10..drop..75/5
    SL Deads
    235/15, 235/12..drop..185/6
    Jeffersons
    95/10 each side
    “Hoist” Seated Leg Curl ss. Abduction Machine
    Pos.9/16+2 – 130/30
    Pos.9/1 3+2 – 130/30

STREEEEETCH! This workout hurt!
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

So I got word yesterday that I’ll need to take a little detour tomorrow to another one of our offices to meet my boss and a vendor we’re talking to. That means no training tomorrow…which means I had to switch Thursday’s workout to today and make tomorrow an off day.

This was both a good thing and a bad thing. I really wanted to train today badly, but I knew I wasn’t sure how my body would hold up.

I started today as normal…on the Stairmill for 30 minutes – squeezing my glutes/hams with each step. By the afternoon I was ready!

Today’s workout is a bit of an all-encompassing session with Quads, mini-Back (width) and Triceps.

QUADS
    Hack Squat ss/ Walking Lunges
    (Feet wide) 3 plts each/15 – 90/22 steps
    (Feet in) 3 plts each/15 – 90/18 steps
    *cramp in my ham/glute on 2nd set of Hacks
    Leg Ext (seat all the way back) ss. Sissy Squat
    130/13 – 25/8
    130/13+1 – 25/6..drop..-/2!!
    Leg Ext (drop) – 130/11..drop..100/4

Mini-BACK
    CG (V-bar) Pulldown
    240/11, 255/6..drop..225/4..180/6
    Stiff-arm Pulldown
    120/12, 120/14, 120/12..90/7
    ** my legs were shaking during these sets like nobody’s business. I had to really concentrate on my lats to finish them off properly
    One-arm Seated
    90/10 each arm

TRICEPS
    Smith CG Press (slight incline)
    185/10, 185/9, 185/10..drop..135/10
    Incline Lying Tri Ext
    85/11+neg, 85/11+neg, 85/9+neg
    Dip Machine
    230/8+3, 210/13, 210/12..drop..190/8..drop..160/?? lost count…was in the super zone!

I will confess, by the end of Triceps, I was starting to lose it a bit. My mind was right, but my body just started to give out. However, thanks to my Test Charge, that eventual death was much slower today than on normal days. Even after stretching, it was hard to hold my gym bag to the car…and walking down the stairs to the garage was a serious challenge.

Looks like I’m hitting the sack a little early tonight. Recovery is key!
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Ahhhh, an off day. Mentally, it sucks because I have had an amazing week of training so far. But physically it couldn't come at a better time. My body is so beat up and I am sooo physically tired that I am in desperate need of rest. Tomorrow is chest day (and that should be fun), but after that it's two more days of rest! Although, I'm not sure how much actual rest I am going to get since I have my girls...lol.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Another relatively normal weekend. Got my cardio in on both Saturday and Sunday. The only thing really out of the ordinary is that I was able to do a little side-training of Calves and Abs.

This morning, I did my normal session of cardio and then it was back at it in the afternoon for some hardcore training. I decided to use FD/FS for my Shock Week. Let me tell you…FD/FS is NOT for the fain of heart! I thought I was ready to hit it, but it took me to another level of intensity!

BACK
    Pullups (6/1/X)
    -/8 or 9, -/6+1, -/6+1/2
    Rev Hammer Pulldowns (2/4/1) – holy cow was this tough!
    90each/12, 90each/11, 90each/12
    BB Bent Row ss/ Rev BB Bent Row – I alternated between one or the other to start with each SS
    135/25 – (Rev)135/15
    (Rev)135/20 – 135/10
    135/15 – (Rev)135/10

TRAPS
    DB Shrugs – 120/15, 120/15, 120/13

Mini-CHEST
    Incl Hammer (6/1/X)
    90each side/10, 90each side/8
    Incl Flye (2/4/X)
    45/8, 45/8
    Cable Crossover (1/0/1)
    30/30

LOW BACK
    Hyperextensions – 20/25, 20/20, 20/15…drop..-/8

FUNNY STORY:
    I was training in the gym and I saw one of the guys that’s usually there who has struck up a conversation here and there….a power lifter-type and overall a nice person. We said hello and I went about my business. AS I was finishing up my long set of hyperextensions, out of the corner of my eye, I see him walking up to me with someone. I tried to ignore until I was done, but when I did finish (barely able to stand up), he introduced his wife to me. This is how he introduced me…”This is Ramiro. He is one of the nicest guys here at the gym and he’s got one of the nicest looking physiques as well.” And this is a guy introducing me to his wife! I thought that was pretty cool.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.82%

Wow…what an amazing couple of days of training! I have to say, all else being equal, this little run of Test Charge has got me training beyond anything I’ve ever felt. My intensity is through the roof and I am getting more reps each time I go in to train.

I trained with a very special friend today who actually put me through the paces for my hamstring workout. It was a bit more cardio vascular than I was used to (I was sucking air after each set), but it was intense and quite fun. I think my first mistake was that I used the normal weight that I normally use on each set. I wasn’t going to get punked! Lol

Anyway, we started with…
    HAMS
    Seated Leg Curl ss/ Jeffersons – 3-4 (I can’t remember)
    Stiff Leg Deads ss/ “Crawling” Lunges – 3 sets each
    Foot up on bench (behind) Lunges ss/ Step ups…these bad boys had me sucking wind like a mother!

Then I did DELTS by myself…I was going to use FD/FS, but I was so spent, I forgot. Intensity was not an issue in the end.
    Smith Delt Press
    175/8, 175/7, 175/7..drop..135/7
    Rev Pec Dec
    180/13, 180/12, 180/11..drop..135/7
    Side Laterals (down the ladder) – very strict from the side!!
    30/12..drop..25/8..20/8
    30/10..drop..25/8..20/8

And that was it. I can barely move as it is from yesterday’s Back torture. Tomorrow should be interesting! I can’t imagine that walking will be a fun experience…not lifting my arms for anything.

Similar Forum Threads

1. StaCkedCop's training journal - A Iron Addict's Log -
    By StackedCop in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 746
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. D-Humps Training Journal.
    By DHumphreys in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM
  3. Training Journal
    By Pencil_Neck in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 5