Rantorcha's AAEFX Training Journal - Road to...

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
My road leads to a Natural Pro Card soon hopefully. At least that's my plan as well as my desire. I came up pretty short in early June, so now my focus is on competing again in November. I have a new passion for training and my AAEFX supplements are doing some serious magic!

Last week I finished off with two of the best workouts for Back on Thursday and Arms on Friday that I have had in a while. At that point, it was my first full week of using the full AAEFX supp line and I must say I am getting the best pumps and best gym sessions I have had in a LONG time, if not ever! Look, I realize I am an EFX board rep, but I am 100% sincere when I say that the combination of these products laid out for me by Eric Broser (my friend and, oh yeah, my trainer too) has me feeling better than I have felt (in-season or off-season) in a LONG time! I would NEVER say something like that unless I truly meant it!!!

The LBAs taste amazing! The Nytric (NO product) and Kre-Alkalyn products pump you up like crazy. I am walking around with viens all over the place – even at rest. And let’s not even mention the Cell Rush! Whew! That’s some potent shiz right there! Even down to the ZMA product…it makes me sleep like a tiny baby. lol I have never used any supplements like these. You don’t have to ever wonder if they are working or not.

This past weekend was fantastic. It was truly a Father’s Day weekend to remember. My girls were awesome and I was even able to go out on Saturday night for the first time in eons! Slowly but surely I am reclaiming my life and I love it. My plan is to have fun as often as I can, be with my family as often as I can and include my girls every step of the way.

Today’s workout was pretty potent as well. It started my 2nd week of training since my show. I am not sure if it is partly the rebound effect, the shape I am maintaining, the supps, or the more probable combination of all of them, but I feel like I am as stout (for lack of a better word) as I have ever been. I am looking very forward to these next months leading up to November! Here is today’s workout…

CHEST
Incl DB Press
Flat DB Flye
Incl Smith Machine
Inc Hammer Press

DELTS
Seated DB Press
Seated Side Laterals
Rev Pec Dec
Cable Wide Upright Rows

Man, I was pumped! I was sweating like a pig! Eating was my next priority!

Cardio - done first thing in the morning at home.

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
hey RA welcome to anabolicminds my friend! Time to get ready for November

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Woke up before my alarm clock this morning which I didn't mind too much for some reason. I got my EFX supps and got my shake to-go and was off for my training fun!!

HAMS
Seated Leg Curl
Stiff-Leg Curls
Lying Leg Curls (did these as straight set, then dropped the weight and curled the weight bringing the knees up at the top into the glute area. Good stuff!)

Glutes #1
Abduction Machine

QUADS
Leg Ext
Walking Lunges
Squat Machine

Glutes #2
Jeffersons - thanks Kai!

CALVES
Seated Raises
Standing Raises

ABS - didn't get to do abs yesterday, so I did a little today
V-ups

It seems like a long workout, but it wasn't that bad at all. I obviously didn't do more than 2 sets of many exercises. I can assure you that the intensity was extremely high!

CARDIO - 20 minutes on the Stairmill.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Today is a rest day - which is so bitter/sweet sometimes. On the one hand I know logically I need rest and recouperation to grow and most times I need it, but today I feel like it really screwed up my momentum.

Luckily I won't have to wait too much longer to train, though....tomorrow!

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
Hey RA since you're doing battle in November and you just did battle a few weeks ago, What are you doing diet wise right now? Are you still dieting to maintain or are you taking a month or 2 off? Just curious buddy.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Hey RA since you're doing battle in November and you just did battle a few weeks ago, What are you doing diet wise right now? Are you still dieting to maintain or are you taking a month or 2 off? Just curious buddy.
Diet-wise I went pretty liberal that first week afterwards, but since then I have been on point with my diet except for one or two cheat meals per week. The difference between now and before is that I am limiting my cheat meals to where I don't overeat.

As for the diet itself, it is a little (ok, a lot) higher in carbs compared to my contest diet. I think Eric is giving them to me to see if I can throw some muscle on prior to November. That said, i am staying close to my contest weight. I weighed in at the show at about 183 and haven't gotten up past 186 since. And, I am a vascular mofo. I ALMOST feel like I look better now than I did leading up to the show. Go figure! November is mine! lol

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Back at it this afternoon! And not a moment too soon either. I had my pre-workout EFX supps and holy crap was I ready to hit it hard today…and hit it hard I DID! If you’ve been following any portion of my journal, you know that I am really looking to increase the width of my back. My back gets really shredded, but there is no real width or pop to it. So, this area of concentration for me has translated into some serious workouts. To be honest, since I have been using the whole line of EFX supps, ALL of my workouts have been through the roof! I almost hate to keep saying that since I am obviously an EFX Board Rep, but I have to call it like I see/feel ‘em. I told my friend today that I really feel like I am “on”. It’s crazy!

Anyway, here is today’s workout…

LATS/LOW BACK/TRAPS
(Lat Pulldown – 2 sets as warmup)
Chin-ups – 3 sets
Deadlifts from Floor – 2 sets
Rev Barbell Row – 2 sets (with one drop on last set)
One-arm Row ss/ DB Shrug – 2 sets each
Stiff-arm Pulldowns – finished things off nicely
Smith Behind Back Shrug – 3 sets

CARDIO – 20 minutes on Stairmill. I gave the elliptical to my ex, so I had to throw down cardio at the gym afterwards.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Well, I see that I never did post my arms workout for Friday! Oh well. Let’s just say that it kicked ass and call it a day, shall we.

So, my weekend was filled to the max. It was my sister’s birthday (actually birthday weekend! Don’t know how she pulled that off). And it was fun and crazy from start to finish. I was pretty on point with my food for about ¾ of the weekend. The good news is that when I ate “off” my diet, I ate less than I normally would – i.e. didn’t over stuff myself. I NEED TO KEEP MY ABS! lol

So, back at it today. Here was today’s fun!

CHEST
Incl Smith Press – went relatively lighter and concentrated on the contraction
Incl DB Press – started incorporating these at every workout. My chest development likes this exercise. Today I put the bench a little higher than normal and angled the DBs palms in a bit to really focus on my upper/inner pecs…and it worked!
Flat DB Flyes
Cable Crossover

DELTS
Hammer Delt Press
Front Raises – half hammer style; half conventional raises (palms facing ground)
Bent Rear Delt Raises – went lighter and instead of palms facing each other at the bottom, I used a thumbs-touching grip and pulled out. Got about 20-25 reps each set.
Side Lateral Machine

ABS
V-ups
Cable Crunch

Cardio – 20 minutes on Stairmill

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Last night after running some errands and doing some things around my place, I ended up falling asleep earlier than I have in several days. But, I think I somehow got too much sleep. My neck was stiff in the morning and that usually means I had too much sleep (which I can’t even imagine there is such a thing). And, of course, as I sit here I am tired and sleepy! Whatever.

It was leg day this morning and I was prepared mentally. Here’s a quick breakdown of today’s festivities…

HAMS
Lying Leg Curl (ss/ with curl & lift knees up to squeeze into glutes)
Seated Leg Curl
Stiff-Leg Deads

GLUTES
Rev Hack Squat – wide stance
Ss/ Abduction Machine

CALVES
Standing Raises
Seated Raises

QUADS
Walking Lunges
Squat Machine
Leg Ext

CARDIO – 20 minutes on Stairmill

As you read this, I am sure you can figure out what I am trying to work on as I get myself ready for November. After this one the rear of my legs into my glutes were on fire! Actually, they still are. lol

slackadjuster

Awards
Looking good in here! Good to see you on this board...now I can start posting....been over here lurking for a while!

Rick

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I am obviously behind in my journal, and quite frankly I am not even going to try to catch up! lol Needless to say, I have really been hitting the gym hard and am starting to feel like a little muscle is getting packed on. Who knows…maybe some of it is mental, but I really feel fantastic lately. My mind-muscle connection is spot-on and it feels great! And slowly but surely, my weights are going up.

This week is a pretty hectic week as I am off on a much needed mini-vacation for the rest of the week. So, I hit chest and delts today as normal and will be waking up pretty early tomorrow to do an abbreviated workout to include back, some hamstring work and maybe some calves. I’ll be back on Monday in full force and back on the plan for November!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Well, after a fantastic week and a great mini-vacation it was back at the gym this afternoon with a vengeance. I am using this week as a modified Power Week. I haven’t quite been following the true PRRS form these last few weeks, as I have been trying to really nail down my mind-muscle connection. I had been actually doing a bit of a modified Rep Range bunch of weeks.

Right now, I am at about 188 or thereabouts which is only a few pounds higher than my contest weight. I am really trying hard not to go too crazy with my eating. I REALLY want to continue to see my abs. lol

Anyway, here is today’s workout…
CHEST
High Incl Smith Press – 3 sets
Incl DB Press – 2 sets
Wghtd Dips – 2 sets
Incl Hammer Press

DELTS
DB Press – 2 sets
WG BB Upright Row – 2 sets w/ drop on last set
Bent Rear Laterals – 2 sets
DB Side Laterals

ABS
V-ups – 3 sets
Decl Crunch – 1 set

CARDIO – 25 minutes on Stairmill

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
OVERSLEPT! Whoopsie. I was planning on hitting the gym bright and early, but that plan went out the window when I didn’t turn ON my alarm. lol That made it an afternoon session. It’s been a couple of weeks since I did legs, so I didn’t quite do a Power session, but a very intense one regardless. Needless to say, I am pretty damn sore today. The only thing I didn’t get to do was direct glute work. It was either cardio or glute work and I can’t pass up cardio! (Did I just say that out loud?!)

HAMS
Lying Leg Curl…drop...Curl ½ way up and lift knees as you get to the top – 2 sets
DB Stiff-leg Deads – 3 sets

QUADS/CALVES
Leg Press – 3 sets
ss/ Seated Calf Raise – 2 sets

Leg Ext – 3 sets
ss/ Free-motion Calves Press – 2 sets

CARDIO – 20 minutes total
5 minutes on Stairmill – started cramping and my neck hurt for some reason
15 minutes on Treadmill

Today is a rest and recoup day…a/k/a “Off Day”. It is sad, but a necessary evil.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
As usual when I have my girls on Wednesday, Back day was hit in the afternoon. For some reason I have had a nice little chip on my shoulder (non-divorce related...don't worry) when I get to the gym. I have been really attacking the weights with a serious vengence. I really want Eric to evaluate my physique since the show, but I can't get him out of his apartment! lol ERIC, are you listening?!?!

Well, here is today's fun...

BACK
Floor Deadlifts - 3 sets. I am almost back to my highest floor-deads weight. I peaked at 395/5
Wghtd WG Chins - 3 sets
High Cable Straight-bar Row - 2 sets This is just like a regular seated row, but the pulley is about at the top of your head level. It makes for an outstanding contraction.
Rope Stiff-arm Pulldowns - these were brutal!

TRAPS
DB Shrug
ss/ Behind-back DB Shrug - 2 sets each

CARDIO - 20 minutes on Stairmill...my friend.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Quick update for Friday...I thrashed myself some Tris and Bis with a little abs and calves to boot. I have been one sore puppy this week with my modified Power week. I've really enjoyed building my workouts recently and it helps that my mindset has really been into my training. It's made things really fun.

This weekend has been another great one. Although I had the somewhat misfortune to see Bride Wars on demand (don't ask!), it still been pretty fun. I took my girls to the pool here in my complex on Saturday and today we went to the kids water park. These little activities are great because not only do they have loads of fun, but they are knocked out for nap time. lol

The only bad part of the weekend is that my diet has been 100%...more like 55%. That said, I've tried to "make-up" for it by not gorging myself like I used to when eating junk and maybe even skipping a meal (I KNOW....bad). That's going to have to change soon though. My problem was that I had the kids (no excuse) AND didn't have anything prepared. Again, that will change very soon. I am also taking the time to have more fun lately, which means partaking into a bit of alcoholic consumption. Not the best idea BBing-wise, but I think I am entitled at this point.

Anyway, I am completely focused now on cooking tonight and prepping my training schedule for next week. I'll keep ya posted.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Since I had my kids over the weekend, Monday I had to train in the afternoon. I must say, I love the fact that I can train in the afternoons now. It gives me the opportunity to train without the morning cobwebs at 5am! What a difference.

Anyway, since last week was a modified Power Week, I decided to use this week as a modified Rep Range week. Pumps and subsequent soreness has been pretty intense. Here’s a quick look…

CHEST
Incline “Angled” DB Press – 3 sets. Instead of having my palms face outward, I turned them inward slightly to focus more on the inner part of my chest. I must say this exercise is working beautifully!
Flat Flye – 2 sets
Incl Hammer Press – 3 sets
Cable Crossover

DELTS
Life-Fit Shldr Press – 2 sets
Side Laterals – 2 sets, but with each set I just kept going and ended up getting 20 and 16 reps respectively with 30s. I am paying the price today!
Front Raises – 2 sets (started out thumbs-up and twisted at the top; finished last few reps with thumbs up)
WG Cable Rows

CARDIO – 20 min on Stairmill

Tuesday was another kick ass workout. I really hate to sound like a broken record, and for those of you who know me, I don’t Bull Sh*t, but my workouts have been insane since I finished up my contest, which happens to coincide with me being able to use the full line of AAEFX-Flex Series supplements. I know, I sound like I am hocking it, but I sincerely feel like these supps deliver. And since they are geared (no pun intended) towards Natural athletes, that’s right in my wheelhouse.

HAMS
Seated Leg Curl – 2 sets
DB Stiff-Leg Deads – 3 heavy-ass sets with 120s
Lying Leg Curl – 2 sets w/ super-set of bringing knees up at top to work glute/ham area

QUADS
Squat Machine – 3 sets
Rev Hack Squats – 2 sets
Walking Lunges – 1 set

GLUTES/CALVES
Abductor Machine – 2 sets
Seated Calf – 2 sets
Standing Calf – 2 sets

CARDIO – 20 min on Stairmill

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
So, I did Back yesterday and I have to say I was feeling a little “off” and it’s the first time I’ve been that way in quite a while. But, I tried to push through and I did the best I could considering.

BACK
WG BB Bent Rows – 3 sets
WG Pulldowns – 3 sets
CG Seated Row – 2 sets
Rope Stiff-arm Pulldowns

TRAPS
DB Shrug – 3 sets 80/20, 100/15, 120/12

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
So, I did Back yesterday and I have to say I was feeling a little “off” and it’s the first time I’ve been that way in quite a while. But, I tried to push through and I did the best I could considering.

BACK
WG BB Bent Rows – 3 sets
WG Pulldowns – 3 sets
CG Seated Row – 2 sets
Rope Stiff-arm Pulldowns

TRAPS
DB Shrug – 3 sets 80/20, 100/15, 120/12

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Obviously, my updates haven't been as timely as I would want them to be. Life has actually been pretty crazy, to be perfectly honest. Dealing with divorce certianly isn't easy. Add to that work and trying to find some semblance of a social life and it compounds things a bit.

Luckily I have bodybuilding in my life...it's my new BFF! Actually, it's always been my "BFF" and it continues to be a happy part of my life. Especially since I am kicking some ass in the gym. My weights aren't even close to where I used to be, but I must say that I am really making things count when I get in there.

I know I've said this before, but my mind-muscle connection continues to be a major focus and it is showing up in the results. Also, Eric and I came up with a new split of sorts for me. Check this out...
WEEK 1
MONDAY: CHEST/FRONT-SIDE DELTS/ABS
TUESDAY: HAMS/QUADS/CALVES
THURSDAY: LATS/TRAPS/REAR DELTS/ABS
FRIDAY: BIS/TRIS/CALVES

WEEK 2
MONDAY: CHEST/MINI-LATS/ABS
TUESDAY: DELTS/MINI-TRIS/CALVES
THURSDAY: LATS/MINI-CHEST/ABS
FRIDAY: BIS/TRIS/SIDE DELTS/CALVES

Monday started Week #2 and it was a great workout...

CHEST
Angled Incl DB Press - 3sets
Free-Motion Machine Press - 3 sets
Dips - 2 sets
Cable Crossover

MINI-LATS
CG Pulldowns - 3 sets
Corner T-bar Rows - 2 sets

CARDIO - 10 minutes on Stairmill; 15 minutes on Treadmill

I can't wait until this afternoon to train delts and tris. I'll get back later to post today's workout.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Here was today's aftenroon delight...

DELTS
Rev. Hammer Press - 3 sets
Front Raises - 2 sets (1 set doing like bicep curl; 1 set as hammer/twist raise)
Face Down on Bench Rear Laterals - 2 sets (20 & 19 reps, respectively)
Side Laterals

Mini-Tris
Pushdowns - 3 sets

CALVES
Standing Press - 2 sets
Seated Press - 2 sets

GREAT workout again. My mind started to wander a couple of times (I started to think about some things going on), but I got right back on the horse and I busted though.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Well, I seem to have some updating to do. Sometimes, when I have my girls in the evening and a tough work schedule like I had last week, it is really tough to get on here without depriving myself of sleep!

I had a pretty good finish to the week last week. Back day consisted of Floor Deads (which I am happy to report I did a healthy amount of reps with 405 again; I tried for a 3rd set, but my back tightened up a bit, so I stopped), Pull-ups, Hammer Rows and some other stuff I can’t remember right now! lol Friday ended the week strong with a really good bis/tris and calves day.

The diet was on par for most of the weekend. I obviously had myself a few cheat meals, but for the most part, I remained at least healthy about it. I didn’t go too crazy…except for one meal. Saturday night I ate at Cheesecake Factory…had Chicken and Biscuits and a ridiculous cheesecake that had Butterfinger, Reese’s Peanut butter cup and caramel.

So, over the weekend, I was supposed to meet up with Eric to discuss the NGA show in November and the possibilities of doing it. Well, before I even met up with him, I was admittedly “not in it” mentally to even think about doing this show. Going through a divorce is no easy task without the rigors of contest prep. However, I did it with even more strenuous circumstances for my June show. But, without the prep stuff, I am having a ton of new-found fun and am able to spend great quality time with my girls! So that brings me to my meeting with Eric.

I wanted Eric to tell me what kind of prep I was looking at and if he thought I could make a splash. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed in my placing in NC (not that I didn’t deserve it). And I have stayed in relatively decent condition since my show – less than 10 pounds difference from my weigh-in weight. Well, when I took off my shirt and started posing for Eric, apparently he was a little surprised. In his words, “it would be a shame if you didn’t do this show with how you look right now”. Again, those weren’t really the words that I was necessarily going there to hear. I tried to throw out a bunch of excuses to him, but it didn’t look like he was buying it.

So, now I have a decision to make! We talked about mulling it over for the next week to see. I still have some things to iron out with my family, but my mind is now “in it” way more than before. Before I was about 70/30 as in NOT going to do it. Now it’s about 70/30 in favor of doing it. Decisions, decisions!!!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I caught up with your entire journal. Nice work. Good luck at your show in November.

Old Navy

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Alright, kids. So, it's official...I'll be doing the NGA show in Novmeber down here in sunny South Florida. That means 12+ weeks of prep and I am ready to get down to biz-nass!

Yesterday, I decided to go back to the tried and true form of Power Week for the whole week (except for legs later today). So, here was my Power Chest/Front & Side Delts day

CHEST
Smith Incl Press - 3 sets
Incl DB Press - 2 sets
Flat Bench Flyes - 3 sets
Incl Hammer

Front/Side Delts
Seated DB Press - 3 sets
DB Uproght Row - 2 sets
Side Laterals

CARDIO- 20 min on Stairmill

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
I caught up with your entire journal. Nice work. Good luck at your show in November.

Old Navy
Thanks, Old Navy! That means a lot coming from you, my friend.

Are you judging at that show by chance?

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so today I had a special guest train with me. This week’s split included legs, so today was the day! Training in the afternoon, plus having a partner during a work day is a tad tough due to time constraints. But, we moved pretty damn quickly throughout and got the job done right. Here is a quick synopsis…

HAMS
Seated Leg Curl – 2 sets
Lying Leg Curl – 2 sets
ss/ Lying Leg Curl lifting knees and crunching glutes
Stiff Leg Deads – 2 heavy sets still getting 12 and 10 reps, respectively

GLUTES – Jeffersons ala Kai Greene

QUADS
Leg Press – 2 sets
Hack Squat – 2 sets
Walking Lunges

CALVES – Free Motion Calf Press – triple drop set

CARDIO – this is the first day since BEFORE my show prep for June that I missed my cardio session. I HAD to get back to work, so I am planning on making it up wither tomorrow or Saturday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Old Navy! That means a lot coming from you, my friend.

Are you judging at that show by chance?
For the second year in a row, I am the Master of Ceremonies for the 2009 NGA Nationals and ProAm Championships in Coral Springs, FL on November 7th.

Old Navy

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Off day from training, but am looking very forward to tomorrow's back day!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
For the second year in a row, I am the Master of Ceremonies for the 2009 NGA Nationals and ProAm Championships in Coral Springs, FL on November 7th.

Old Navy
Fantastic, I'll see you there! Looking forward to seeing you again.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
So...today I wil begin by letting everyone know how unreal the pain that I have in my legs is from the ass kicking I gave them on Tuesday. A thorough thrashing then made things really difficult today - lol. Getting up form my desk was a bit of a chore, much less doing back and cardio!

Here's everything...remember, it's Power Week
LATS
Rack Deads - 405/10, 425/6, 425/10 (got CRAZY on that last set!)
WG Pulldowns - 3 sets, but my forearm started to bug me
WG Bent Row - 1st set overhand, but the forearm REALLY didn't like that; did 2nd set as underhand and got a good set out of it.
Rope Stiff-Arm Pulldowns - LOVE these...such an insane pump (not a power movement...you caught me)

TRAPS
DB Shrug - 90/15, 110/15, 120/15

REAR DELTS
Rev Pec Dec Machine - 3 sets about 10-12 reps...just feels better

ABS
V-ups - 2 sets of 20
Cable Crunch - 2 sets of 20

CARDIO - 20 min on Stairmill. This was tough! My legs were already sore as hell. Then, to make matters worse, on Hack Squats yesterday, my quad tightened up a bit making it feel like a charlie-horse. With each step, I felt like saying...ouch...ouch..ouch. But, it got done!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
This morning's workout kicked ass! It was arms day and I have a special relationship with my triceps. We have an understanding...we need to grow before November. SO, on that note, here goes...

TRICEPS
Pushdowns - 3 power sets
Seated EZ barbell Overhead Press - 2 heavy ass sets
Dip Machine...this really kicks my ass

BICEPS
DB Curl (start with palms facing backward and twist) - 2 big sets
EZ BB Preacher - 2 more sets
Low Cable Curl - 2 heavy sets

CALVES
Seated Calves - 2 sets
Standing Calves - 2 sets

CARDIO - 20 minutes on Stairmill...picked up the pace a bit

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Well, I had a tremendously fantastic weekend!
- I marked my calendar for the next 13 weeks.
- I coached my soccer team (even though we lost) on Saturday morning; then spent most of the afternoon hanging out by my pool listening to music
- Spent Saturday night by going to dinner and it was kind of like "The Last Supper"
- Sunday, started the day by taking progress pics.
- Had another nice/relaxing day...checked my calendar again to see how many days left I had until November 4th! :cool:

Last night I had a bit of a rough sleep. I started not feeling so hot in the middle of the night and it carried over into training this morning. Not sure if I am coming down with something, but I am being extra careful. I tried for it not to hinder my workout, but I was just a tad "off" all morning. And cardio was BRUTAL! It was only 20 minutes, but all 20 minutes were very laborious!

CHEST
Incl DB Press (Hands angled inward) - 3 sets
Star Trac Press Machine - 2 sets
Dips - 1 set (shoulder didn't like this one today!)
Cable Crossover

MINI-LATS
WG Pulldown - 2 sets
REv Grip Pulldowns - 2 sets

ABS
Lying Leg Raises - 2 sets
Cable Crunch - 2 sets

CARDIO - 20 minutes on Stiarmill

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
It has been a bit of a rough go the last couple of days. I am fighting some kind of cold like a crazy person. I have felt pretty light-headed and weak in the mornings, then I feel better during the day; then in the middle of the night I wake up feeling pretty hot. Very weird. Anyway, that isn't stopping me from anything related to prep. All of my training, meals and supps are spot-on.

So, I guess I have some updating to do, huh?! I'll just say that Tuesday's afternoon workout (Delts/Mini-Tris/Calves) was excellent. I got over feeling like **** long enough to put in a good day's work. Almost forgot...I started Tuesday off by doing my morning cardio at my clubhouse on a Treadmill (the usual 20 minutes).

Wednesday was a cardio-only day and I finally finished putting together the treadmill I bought. So, since I had the girls, I did my 20 minutes on that thing.

I had the girls again last night, so my treadmill was again my best friend this morning for 20 minutes. Training will be during lunch...I'll keep ya posted!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Wow!! Before I begin today’s entry, I HAVE to tell everyone here how shocked and amazed I am with how things are going for me BBing-wise. It’s been 2 months and a week since my June 6th show and I feel amazing. So, I was doing back yesterday and I decided to wear a tank top under my tshirt. About half way through, I took off my shirt and only had my tank top. I was overwhelmed with how I am looking lately. Now, don’t get me wrong, I haven’t gained 10+ pounds of muscle and don’t look like the second coming of Ronnie Coleman, but FOR ME, I have to say I don’t ever remember looking in the mirror and seeing this combination of size, vascularity and shredded-ness in my life.

I realize it’s only been a couple of months, but the only thing that has significantly changed is my exclusive use of EFX supps. I realize people will read this and dismiss it by saying “he’s just saying that because he has ties to it”. Yes, I do. However, if they didn’t provide amazing results, I’d probably stay pretty quiet about things. Now, I’m not sure what Nov. 7th has in store for me, but I can assure everyone reading this, that I will be bringing my best package ever!

Anyway, yesterday’s back attack was inspired partly by Hoss’ journal entry from the other day. Here’s how it went.

LATS
Pullups – 3 weighted sets
D-ring bar Seated Row – 2 sets
Rev Bent Row – 2 sets
Hammer Pulldown
Hyperextensions ss/ DB Shrug – 3 sets each

MINI-CHEST
Hammer Incl Press – 3 kickass and blood pumping sets!

CARDIO – done in the morning – 20 min on home Treadmill

Today’s workout…
If you know me, I always keep it real in my journal. And, after yesterday’s kick ass workout, today’s was a bit of a struggle. My elbow/forearm was tight due to yesterday’s blowout and I had to keep telling myself to keep up my intensity the way it should be.

TRIs
Incl EZ bar Ext – 2 heavy sets
Rope Pressdown – 2 sets
Seated EZ bar Overhead Ext – 2 sets
Dip Machine – triple-drop set

BIs
Low Cable Curl – 2 sets
Hammer Preacher Machine – 2 sets
Lying Top Cable Curl – 2 sets

SIDE DELTS
DB Side Laterals –
Drop set..35/10, 30/10, 25/10, 20/10
Another set with X-reps..25/15..35/8

ABS
V-ups ss/ Decl bench Crunch – 2 sets each

Now I get to concentrate on relaxing, eating my meals and making sure I hit morning Cardio until

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Nice work, Warrior.

I am starting my fourth week as a AAEFX Sponsored Athlete, on the "Flex" stack 100%, including their NF Pro protein powder. I'm just beginning to feel the difference. I was a Beverly International athlete for most of the past three years. Now I'm AAEXF all the way.

What show are you doing on November 7th?

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Nice work, Warrior.

I am starting my fourth week as a AAEFX Sponsored Athlete, on the "Flex" stack 100%, including their NF Pro protein powder. I'm just beginning to feel the difference. I was a Beverly International athlete for most of the past three years. Now I'm AAEXF all the way.

What show are you doing on November 7th?
NAVY! I was actually just telling a friend of mine that every time I pass a mirror, I have to do a double-take. I honestly don't recognize myself. I've been using EFX supps exclusively since June 15th and have made significant improvements. Improvements to bodyparts that I have been trying to improve for years! Between the Power/Rep Range/Shock trianing system and the EFX supps, I am really looking forward to my next show.

As for what show I am doing, if you remember, it is the NGA show in Coral Springs that you told me you were MCing.

Glad to see the EFX product line is making a difference for everyone who uses it!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
I’ll be the first to admit when things don’t go 100% as planned…and this weekend had it’s issues! I had my girls and for some reason, they were just NOT cooperating. Sienna was totally “being 2!” which strained my interaction with Sidney (my 5-year old). (ENTER PARENTAL GUILT HERE…) In addition, I was hungry all f*cking weekend! lol

I did take some time to check out G. I. Joe (which I thought was cool as hell), but other than that, I am almost glad to be back at work on my routine.

So, back at it this morning. I started things off with CARDIO - 20 minutes first thing in the morning on the home treadmill. Nothing too exciting, but I got cardio out of the way. That left me pretty tired. I am not sure why, but I don’t feel like I am getting enough sleep. I may go home later and try to get in a cat-nap in the late afternoon.

At lunch, I hit Chest with Front and Side Delts. This is one of my favorite workouts!

CHEST
Incl Hammer Press – went pretty heavy on these and felt every bit of them (3 sets)
DB Pullovers – used 85s and still got a pretty decent 14 and 12, respectively
Incl DB Press – used the angled hand position again and it really focuses the stress on the upper/inner part of the pecs (2 sets)
Cable Crossover – did them until my arms almost fell off!

FRONT/SIDE DELTS
Smith Delt Press – 3 sets
Single-handle Two-arm Cable Upright Row – I know…long name for a small exercise. But VERY effective for MY side delts. I realize CG uprights are more for traps, but for me, for some reason, they hit my side delts HARD – 2 high-rep sets
Front Raises ss/ Side Laterals – 2 sets…for the Front Raises, used the Hammer (thumbs-up position and brought them slightly across my body to involve some chest at the top

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Not every day can be as stellar as one wants it to be…especially in the gym. There are days where you will have to overcome some adversity to get the job done. TODAY was one of those kinds of days for me. I had a HORRIBLE night sleep last night. I started by not being able to fall asleep as I would have liked. Then, I woke up in the middle of the night at around 2:30am sweating my ass off and I could not fall back asleep. After about ½ hour of just not getting comfortable or being able to stop sweating, I finally fell back asleep and then it happened…the F*CKING ALARM went off! It was 5:45 and time to hit the gym. Normally, I get off my ass and I am ready to go, but today was ROUGH!

I took my morning EFX supps (Lean Beef Aminos, Nytric EFX Pro, KreAlkalyn Pro and Cell Rush) and, after getting dressed and my pre-workout shake ready, I was out the door. Normally, Cell Rush gets my going pretty good. But today I don’t think a rocket launcher up my ass would have helped. That said, I pushed, pulled, and rang out everything I had in me to make it the best workout that I could. With only 12 weeks to go, there is no room for error or time for a let down.

Here’s how it went…
HAMS
Seated Leg Curl – 2 really nice sets
Lying Leg Curl – 2 sets, but did them in drop set fashion with the drop portion done lifting knees up at half way point to include some glute work. Almost passed out!
Stiff-Leg Deads – 2 more high-rep sets at 225

GLUTES
Jeffersons ss/ Abduction Machine – 2 sets each

QUADS
Leg Press – 3 sets
Walking Lunges – 2 sets! 100/30 total steps on each set
Rev Hack Squat – 2 sets

CALVES
Free-Motion Presses – 2 straight sets; then 1 triple drop set…OUCH!

CARDIO – 20 minutes…5 minutes on Stairmill; 15 min on Treadmill. I just could not take it being on that Stairmill!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
It's Wednesday, so there is no training today. And this makes me a little sad, but I realize the value and importance of making sure I recover well enough to hit the weights the rest of the week.

No training today, but cardio was still on the agenda. I woke up, took down my morning EFX supps and actually went to the gym (instead of getting it done on my treadmill) to ride the Stairmill. I must say, this was no easy feat. My quads, hams and glutes were pretty toasted and sore from yesterday's throw down.

When done, I went to the mirrors and did a quick round of mandatories. I really want to master this posing thing. That's it for now I guess. For the rest of the day it is my job to make sure I take my supps and eat my meals on time...and rest!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Telling it like it is…sometimes it isn’t easy to do this. However, I consider it a must if you are going to keep a journal. Suffice it to say that I didn’t have a very good day yesterday when it came to my diet. It was one day and I am still 11+ weeks out so I am not going to die! But, the extra cashews I had yesterday with Meal 4 made me really mad. THAT isn’t me! Not sure what’s going on with me, but I’ve GOT to get my head right. My determination and desire will pull me through to my final destination…that I promise you.

With that, I decided to punish myself with a hellacious Back workout! If you are squeamish, I suggest moving away from the computer screen now before you continue reading! Lol

LATS/LOW BACK
Weighted Chins – 3 sets with decreasing weight/higher reps
Rev Grip BB Row – really focused on squeezing the back – 2 sets for 15 and 13 reps
Corner T-bar Row – 3 kick ass sets, decreasing weight/higher reps...major mid back pump
Rev Grip Pulldowns – 2 high rep sets. I started doing these again last week and I fell in love with them. GREAT lat-feeling
Floor Deadlifts – 315/12, 365/9 granted, I didn’t set any PR or anything. But having not done these for a couple of weeks, my lower back already being sore from leg day, and doing these at the end of a pretty stout back workout, I was pretty pleased with my weight/reps here. And my back is REALLY pissed at me right now!!!

TRAPS/REAR DELTS
Behind back BB Shrug – 2 sets of 20 and 18 reps
Alt sets – Bent Rear Delt Laterals w/ DB Shrug…(rear delt) 20/18; (shrug) 110/12; (rear delt) 20/13
I am totally fried at this point!

CARDIO – 20 minutes of grueling cardio on the Stairmill. THIS was not easy. It got so bad that when I was done, I was seriously light-headed as hell! What a great way to start the day, ain’t it?!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
I had a great end to the week last week. Although I didn't post my workouts, rest assured that it was strong & intense!

So, check this out...
on Friday my friend (who's wife was out of town) told me that I HAD to go out with him on Friday night. So, a couple of friends of mine, me, the girl I am dating and a couple of her friends all went out to a small club/cigar bar in my area. And while everyone was drinking, I decided to only dance my ass off (GREAT cardio!) and smoke a nice Arturo Fuente cigar. We were out until 2am! Now, I certainly don't recommend this for too many people leading up to a show, but it was a great night out. I almost needed it! I was tired as hell from it the next couple of days, but I am making sure to get some rest the last couple of days.

SUNDAY - TRAIN WITH THE GURU!!!
On Sunday, I was lucky enough to hang and train with our resident guru & Natural Freak , Eric, at his apartment complex. We did Shock Week Chest together and while he hit delts, I hit my Mini-Lats routine. Suffice it to say, that I was DONE after this workout. We made sure that each of us left nothing at the gym. I read Eric's EFX Blog on the EFX site and he said he took a nap afterwards. And I must say, as soon as I got home, I took a nice nap too!

MONDAY - Cardio only - 30 minutes on Stairmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
As for what show I am doing, if you remember, it is the NGA show in Coral Springs that you told me you were MCing.
QUOTE]

I thought so. There is another show in Miami the same day, the 2009 FAME North American Pro Am Championships. I was originally going to compete in this Pro show on November 7th and MC the NGA show on November 14, but the NGA show moved back a week to the 7th, so I will skip competiting at the FAME show and MC at the NGA.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Quick update!!

Tuesday - did this in the morning...
DELTS
Side Laterals...
1 single set - 20 reps
Drop set (2) - 15 & 10 reps, respectively
Triple drop (3) - 30 reps total

Hammer Delt Press...
Drop set (2)
Triple Drop set (3)

Rev Pec Dec...
2 straight sets
1 set ss/ with Cable Upright Row

Mini-TRIs
Cable Overhead Lean-Frwd Ext
ss/ Body-over-bar Pushdowns - (2) supersets

CALVES
Free Motion Calf Press
ss/ Seated Press - (2) supersets

GLUTES/HAMS
Floor Rev Lying Leg Curl (ala Kai Greene) - 2 sets
---last set superset with Lying Leg Curl
Abduction Machine - 2 sets 35 & 30 reps, respectively

CARDIO
20 minutes on Stairmill

WEDNESDAY -
CARDIO-only day
30 minutes on Home Treadmill

Last week on Wed I had a pretty bad day with my diet. Hunger is a bitch! lol Today I MUST maintain the right frame of mind to keep my diet in order. With a little over 9 weeks to go, there is no more room for error.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Boys and girls...I did it! I thoroughly thrashed my back in every way, shape and form. I NEED A NAP!! No, seriously...I do. lol

I went in with an insane mindset this afternoon. There is something primal about working out in the afternoon (lunch time). I'm alive...I spend the morning gearing up for my workout and it blows by pretty quickly. So, anyway, I was ready to rock. And here is how it all went...

LATS
Pullups - 13; 10 reps
ss/ Rev Grip Pulldowns - 9; 9 reps
started the major width construction with these and they did not disappoint.
Floor Deadlifts (dropsets) - these pretty much made me want to ralph! And I was closer to ralphing today that I have been in quite some time!
365/8...275/6
325/11...275/5
High Cable Seated Row (used EZ bar ext..couldn't find wide-D-bar)
ss/ Stiff Arm Pulldowns (used Str8 bar..couldn't find rope!)
2 sets each
One arm row - was gpoing to be a dropset, but I got a pinch in my trap, so I only did one straight set - 110/10

Mini-Chest
Incl Hammer Press ss/ Pullovers - 2 insane supersets!
Chest Press Machine - 1 drop set

I feel bigger today than ever! I am looking forward to tomorrow to see what I weigh in at. Last week I actually giained a pound. Don't know what that's about. Could these EFX products be helping me grow into this show?!?! Well, if you saw what I looked like before and after...you might say YES!

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
alrighty man i'm jumping on. i don't really have time to catch up on everything but i'll be following along from here on out

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Another week of hardcore training is in the books! It wasn't my best day, but it certainly wasn't my worst either. I did make sure to take things to the edge, but I might be a tad on the tired side. I woke up not fully refreshed for some reason. My sleep has been kind of weird lately...not sure why.

Anyway, I started out my day with a nice 20 minute cardio session first thing in the morning...after my EFX supps of course!
Nytric EFX Pro
LBA Pro
CMZ
L-Carnatine
Lean Fix
Today I went to the gym and did cardio on the Stairmill since my girls weren't with me last night.

In the afternoon, it was time to destroy arms and throw in a mini-side delts session for fun. My split is divided into two weeks now. My 2nd week split is WAY more fun because a) I get to hit needed bodyparts more than once, and b) I don't have to do legs! WOO HOO! (Although I do sneak in a couple of sets) And this week is my double-up-week. It's fun when it gets here, but sad when it's over. lol

Here is today's adventure...
TRICEPS
Smith CG Press (Eric Broser version) - 2 drop sets...Eric taught me a variation to this exercise that I tried for the first time today. It'll take some practice to master, but my tris were kickin'!
Overhead EZ bar Ext ss/ Pushdowns (body-over-bar) - 2 sets each

BICEPS
DB Curl ss/ Hammer Curl - 2 sets each
Lying on Floor-Top Cable Curl - dropset...if you've never tried these, I highly recommend it. MAJOR pump and peak to Bis!!!

SIDE DELTS
Side Laterals ss/ Cable Upright Row

ABS
V-ups - 4 sets
last set done as superset with Decl Bench Crunch
Twists

A nice way to finish the week, I must say. Tonight, my plan is to go pick up my girls from school; since I promised, I need to stop by McD's for them; get a movie going; put them to bed...put MYSELF to bed shortly thereafter! I AM TIRED!!!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
As everyone who reads my journal know, I HAVE to be honest when it comes to my entries. This not only shows that I persevere when times are good and shows that I am at times a mere mortal in not-so-good times. This past weekend was a little rough for me. And, I am officially 10 weeks out as of this past Saturday, so I realize it is only going to get harder!!

I had my girls this weekend, and although they are the most fun thing I have in my life, they also take a lot of energy to keep up with. Add to the fact that having a 2-year old can be trying at times, and you’ve got yourself a pretty thick dose of “tired”!! For the most part, I was able to keep up, but I will confess that I had a couple of momentary breakdowns – not in anything else but my diet.

This is SO unlike me and I am not sure what it is!! I have always been of the mindset that once I flip that switch there is NOTHING that can make me waver. Is it the possible stress of going through a divorce situation; is it trying to be everything to my kids and then some; is it dieting for 16 weeks for my first show and then only having a 2 month reprieve before starting another contest diet?

I am in decent shape already, and it isn’t as if I ate a bad of M&Ms or anything like that. Regardless, with 10 weeks out and me looking for my pro card, there is very little, if any, room for error. I want to be at my all-time best and I WILL NOT DO THE SHOW at anything less. Therefore, if I can’t get my mind “right” and have NO MORE issues with my diet, then I may have to back out of this show. I will not do a show just to do a show. On the contrary!! The only reason I am even considering doing this show is because I feel I started at a point where I CAN bring it down to possible Pro level.

But, I can’t be looking at things that far in advance. I am going to take it day by day. Today I will be perfect and we’ll see how tomorrow goes.

This morning, I woke up, got my shorts and shoes on and, after my morning EFX supps, hit the home-treadmill for 20 minutes.

TRAINING – this afternoon!

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
68 DAYS TO GO!!!

My "New Beginning" began at about 11:45am today. This was my lunch-time training session and it was as intense as it could get. I figured it out and with today’s training session included, I had roughly 36 hardcore training sessions before the big day. I can safely say that I gave my all today and look forward to tomorrow.

CHEST
Incl DB Press (Hands Angled)
85/9, 85/8, 80/9 – went pretty slow, held at the bottom for 1-count, and pressed thru to crush the contraction.
Star Trac Machine Press – 2 sets with the 2nd set as a dropset
DB Pullover – 2 sets
Incl Hammer Press – absolutely thrashed my chest giving it everything I had

ABS
Normally I do delts after chest, but since I had Abs on deck and couldn’t lift my arms right away, I decided to do Abs first. Lol
Lying Leg Lifts ss/ Top Cable Side Crunch – 2 sets each

DELTS
WG Cable Upright Row – 2 higher-rep sets
DB Press – 2 sets with last set being a dropset
60/12 (too light), 70/9...50/3
Side Laterals – I seriously ripped up my delts to the point where I honestly couldn’t feel my shoulders! It was so bad that as I left the gym, I had a very hard time carrying my gym bag back to my car…even after stretching.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
The assault on myself continued today with my biweekly leg session. And just because I am only doing quads every two weeks, doesn’t mean I am giving them a rest by any means. Not only am I already doing daily cardio sessions, but when it is time to do legs, I am thrashing them into submission. There were actually a few times today that I was on the floor (literally, on the floor) trying to catch my breath before I could get up. And a few other times, where I was SURE I wasn’t going to keep down my pre-workout shake. And it was actually fun! There you have it…that’s the masochistic side of bodybuilding for ya! lol

HAMS/GLUTES
Lying Leg Curl ss/ Glute Crunch – 2 sets each. This ham exercise with a glute superset has become one of my favorites. I do a standard set of leg curls…then, when I can’t do any more I drop the weight in half, prop my torso up a bit and proceed to curl ½ way. On the second half, I lift my knees up and crunch my glutes. KILLER STUFF!

Seated Leg Curl ss/ Floor Rev Leg Curl (ala Kai) – got 2 greats sets each on these as well

Stiff Leg Deads – got 13 reps each on both sets. Got a great stretch.

QUADS
Leg Ext – 3 sets of 15, 15, and 13 respectively! MAJOR quad pump and went past failure (if that’s possible) on each set, but especially the last one.

Walking Lunges – 100 pound barbell…30 steps each on both sets. On the last set, I had to do a little rest/pause action for the last few reps.

Single-Leg Leg Press Machine (sitting diagonally) – 2 higher rep sets. These pretty much knocked me out!

CARDIO – since I could barely move at this point, I decided to do cardio before calves. I TRIED to do the Stairmill, but after only 3 minutes, I realized it wasn’t going to happen today! So, I finished the remaining 17 minutes of my 20 required minutes on the treadmill.

CALVES
Leg Press Raises – 3 sets total (20, 19, & 17 reps)

Seated Raises – 1 straight set and 1-triple dropset